PDA

View Full Version : Dent Removal.....

Car Guy
09-12-2008, 03:49 PM
A friend of mine is looking to have a dent taken out of her Toyota Corolla. I wish I did this kind of thing but don't so I'm looking for some suggestions/advice/etc on having it done.....

07ROUSHSTG3
09-12-2008, 04:50 PM
here is a good read:

TITLE: PAINTLESS DENT REPAIR
SECTION: REFINISH BULLETIN #60
MODELS: ALL

Toyota’s Technical and Body Training Development has completed its evaluation of “paintless dent repair” procedures marketed to the collision repair industry. In general, the damage is “door ding” type where an obvious point of impact exists.

Toyota does not approve of this repair procedure based upon the following analysis:
1. The vehicle is not returned to a “pre-accident” condition in these areas:

*The paint film no longer has its original strength due to microcracking, the immediate appearance may not look acceptable, over time however, ultimately refinishing may be required. Microcracking of the paint film can range from fine cracking visible only by magnification to the very obvious (easily seen with the naked eye), depending upon the initial damaging impact.

*Potential exposure of the metal substrate to condensation accelerates rust penetration. The base coat may also be degraded by ultraviolet (UV) light penetration through the clear coat.

2. Mechanical manipulation disrupts the factory applied rust and corrosion protective coating, and in some cases removes it completely from the back of the panel. Repair technicians experience difficulty replacing this important component of longevity, potentially reducing the long-term value of the vehicle.

3. In some cases, gaining access to the backside of a door panel is accomplished by unacceptable procedures:

*Using blocks as a wedge between the window molding and the glass for a tool access damages the window rubber/molding and relieves the factory designed pressure on the window glass.

*Drilling holes in the end of a panel allows corrosion to begin at the site or a path to the back of the panel.

In the interest of customer satisfaction and safety, Toyota doe not approve of these methods. As new tools and technology come to market, Toyota will evaluate the process for appropriate application.

BoosTT
09-12-2008, 05:31 PM
here is a good read:

Toyota’s Technical and Body Training Development has completed its evaluation of “paintless dent repair” procedures marketed to the collision repair industry. In general, the damage is “door ding” type where an obvious point of impact exists.

Toyota does not approve of this repair procedure based upon the following analysis:

*The paint film no longer has its original strength due to microcracking, the immediate appearance may not look acceptable, over time however, ultimately refinishing may be required. Microcracking of the paint film can range from fine cracking visible only by magnification to the very obvious (easily seen with the naked eye), depending upon the initial damaging impact.

*Potential exposure of the metal substrate to condensation accelerates rust penetration. The base coat may also be degraded by ultraviolet (UV) light penetration through the clear coat.

2. Mechanical manipulation disrupts the factory applied rust and corrosion protective coating, and in some cases removes it completely from the back of the panel. Repair technicians experience difficulty replacing this important component of longevity, potentially reducing the long-term value of the vehicle.

3. In some cases, gaining access to the backside of a door panel is accomplished by unacceptable procedures:

*Using blocks as a wedge between the window molding and the glass for a tool access damages the window rubber/molding and relieves the factory designed pressure on the window glass.

*Drilling holes in the end of a panel allows corrosion to begin at the site or a path to the back of the panel.

In the interest of customer satisfaction and safety, Toyota doe not approve of these methods. As new tools and technology come to market, Toyota will evaluate the process for appropriate application.

I've never heard of this... does it actually happen? I wonder how long it takes to rust/chip??

turbogarrett
09-12-2008, 10:17 PM
In short, if done properly yes it works and will cost you MUCH less than the bodyshop/repaint type of repair. Call Nick @ from acci-dent http://acci-dent.com/ , he's a good guy and his black subaru frequently pops up on this website. He does this procedure on private and dealer cars that cost more than toyota's entire lineup:D

Burgandy85SS
09-12-2008, 10:35 PM

A good PDR Guy from what ive seen dosent need to drill holes.

Justin im going to see my buddy tomorrow who does Paintless dent to have a few poped out of a hood on a car my dad just bought I will talk to him and see how much he would want. Oh and how big is this dent?

lordairgtar
09-13-2008, 12:18 AM
here is a good read:

Sure Toyota doesn't approve. It's killing their body shop and body parts business.

BlackLightning
09-13-2008, 10:14 AM
nick sanfilippo at acci-dent did a great job on a dent on my tailgate. you can't even tell there was a dent there plus he came to my work and did it while I was working.

http://www.acci-dent.com/

BadAzzGTA89
09-13-2008, 10:25 AM
I say for a small dent.
http://www.asseenontvguys.com/productimages/ding_king.jpg

DRK
09-13-2008, 05:37 PM

this happens every time you do a PDR no matter how good you are.