PDA

View Full Version : Any good TV repair shops?

T-Bag
09-11-2008, 06:18 PM
My TV has been making a lot of noise from what seems to be the power supply (loud groaning noise), and turning up the volume isn't cutting it anymore.

Are there any good TV repair shops out there? I hear great things about Flanner's but hear they can get a little expensive...

ND4SPD
09-11-2008, 06:20 PM
First ask yourself how old is the TV and is it worth repairing. You might want to consider just buying a new TV.

CPonyGo
09-11-2008, 06:41 PM
corner of Beacher/76th Allis TV- Gordy-late afternoons he is in..tell him Andy(cponygo) sent ya..very good and hve bought 4 tvs for various rooms and he fixed my 54 in years back and it turned out better than new

T-Bag
09-11-2008, 06:55 PM
The TV is only a few years old so its definitely worth fixing unless the bill is real high, it's a 44" DLP that i bought from a member last year.

Thanks for the heads up Andy, I will have to stop in there soon

BoosTT
09-12-2008, 05:41 PM
DLP's are pretty much no longer made because litterally 20% of them break. Mine has already broken once (under waranty) and the part alone was over $1000 to fix (56" dlp samsung 1080p). I watched the repair man and the tv opened up very easly... like three screws!! The broken part (light engine), was on two thumb screws and just pulled out on a tray. All done in less then 10 minutes.

However, I dont think its worth getting fixed. My part alone was as much as a new tv. If I were you, I would open it up. See if you can track the noise down and blow some compressed air in there. DLP's have lots of fans and some shit may have gotten stuck in one (since the problem has been getting worse and the tv still works). This is extremely common for dusty, smokey, humid places.

Car Guy
09-12-2008, 06:00 PM
My uncle has a stock pile of light bulbs for his Samsung, currently he is on number 6.....:rolleyes:

CobraSnake
09-12-2008, 06:17 PM
If is a DLP and its making funny noises most likely its the color wheel.

Mark

CobraSnake
09-12-2008, 06:18 PM
My uncle has a stock pile of light bulbs for his Samsung, currently he is on number 6.....:rolleyes:

I replaced one under warranty(I got the bulb warranty). They don't even put it on. They just tell you how to do it and send you the bulb.

Mark

Car Guy
09-12-2008, 06:24 PM
They only were willing to give him the first two that went out, after that they pretty much told him to 'go fly a kite'. I have purchased the last 4 off of eBay for him so I would know.....

BoosTT
09-12-2008, 08:58 PM
Bulbs are nothing... if even says how to replace them in the owners manual. Its as easy as changing a light bulb in your house. Mine is still good after 2 full years. I am expecting a full four years out of it. And I guess bulbs are really not that expensive anymore ($180-ish max).

I don't think this problem is a bad bulb though... my problem was a light engine (mirrors).