PDA

View Full Version : Salt alternative!?!

Al
12-16-2003, 08:24 AM
I was driving through mequon when I saw a municiple truck drive by with a tank in back and a long pipe behind and parallel to the bumper. Nothing was being sprayed. There was also a big orange sign that read "deicing in progress."

Could the days of salt and rust be limited!?!

PB86MCSS
12-16-2003, 11:41 AM
Im pretty sure cities and counties have contracts with salt suppliers so yea, I really doubt salt will be replaced anytime soon. There are alternatives out there I am sure, sand is one, but there are probably more advanced ones. Someday lets hope they get rid of it, but don't hold your breath. Salt only works in a certain degree range anyways.

BadAzzGTA89
12-16-2003, 04:43 PM
It might have been calcum cloride liquid form!!I use it in the winter in my concrete it is a deicer

Snowseeker
12-16-2003, 07:41 PM
Its the new liquid salt. It has been used by us for like 5 years now. Don't get excited about no rust because it is worse!! Since they started using this stuff around here I had to put in over 12 gas tanks many many feet of brake line and just watch the fenders and body panels rot away on our work trucks.

Not good stuff at all!!

MY FYN 79
12-17-2003, 06:13 AM
:(

They gotta get a better plan for that, all those poor cars that rot away.... :eek:

Al
12-17-2003, 08:22 AM
Guess you could do the same thing by dumping ocean water on the road.

CruxGNZ
12-17-2003, 11:41 AM
Wasn't there something that was going to be used that was corn based (I think that was it)? Worked quite well from what I remember.

!M!