PDA

View Full Version : Hanging rpm??

0TransAm0
09-10-2008, 07:22 PM
OK it just started a couple of days ago only when in park and i rev it up a little hot or cold engine.. i can rev it up to about 3k rpm's and it drops but very very slowly..

any ideas of what could be causing this? intake leak? header leak? the exhaust doesn't seem any louder than normal...

I've also got a weird rattle type noise when I'm driving and parked it comes from down by the driver side front tire... i have the day off tomorrow and am putting it up on jack stands to see if i can find anything loose(heat shield or something)

just thought i would throw this in here to see if you guys could give me some pointers or idea's of what to look for.

thanks for you time and help
Mike

BAD LS1
09-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Its gotta aftermarket cam now right??? Its a tuning issue if so.

0TransAm0
09-10-2008, 07:42 PM
yeah but its had it for over a year way b4 you looked at it for the stall converter and did a quick tune... this JUST started that i noticed about 4 days ago.. i know how my car sounds every time i think i hear something im turning the radio off and windows down trying to make it happen again and then figure out what it is...

BAD LS1
09-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Well all the obvious vaccum leaks will be twoards the front of the motor. Start there. Cold air does crazy things with idle functions once in a while. Make sure your throttle cable doesnt stick either, stick ur foot under the gas and pull it back when it happens.

Yooformula
09-10-2008, 07:52 PM
mine did the exact same thing and turned out to be the air filter got mashed up in the maf.

0TransAm0
09-10-2008, 07:54 PM
yeah i tried pulling back the pedal and nothing happend... now that you said something about a vaccum leak in the front of the car when i started it up yesterday to go to work i heard it sucking in air pretty loud...from the front.. popped the hood and didn't see anything really..

what hose's should i look at?

BAD LS1
09-10-2008, 08:08 PM
yeah i tried pulling back the pedal and nothing happend... now that you said something about a vaccum leak in the front of the car when i started it up yesterday to go to work i heard it sucking in air pretty loud...from the front.. popped the hood and didn't see anything really..

what hose's should i look at?

If its whistiling, its usually the hose from the TB to the valve cover, look at it closely and make sure its on tight and has no splits, the other is the PCV connecting on the pass side of the intake neck... Only things that are in the back are the MAP sensor, brake booster line and vacuum line for the HVAC, and all those rarely are an issue unless u bumped something back there. Its a big hole to allow it to "cruise control" at 3k

0TransAm0
09-10-2008, 08:12 PM
ok thanks for the help i will check it out in the morning..hopefully this "rattle" noise is just a heat shield or something simple along with just a dryrotted hose...

i can dream can't i :)

lilws6
09-10-2008, 10:13 PM
mine will do this one and a great while usually i notice when i go to the track so once in a blue moon really lol. i'll do my burn out and i'll pull up to the line and the rpm's will hold steady about 2,000 i thought it was just holding those r's so i could stage:goof

Mr. Brett
09-10-2008, 11:51 PM
Mine does that on occasion, though it also does other screwed up shit at idle. I'm 99% sure my IAC is bad.

0TransAm0
09-11-2008, 09:40 AM
ok i found out what the rattle was

my Y pipe is busted at the driver side header... it is still slid over the end of the header pipe but it moves in and out....

as for the hanging rpm i didn't find any hoses or anything that were loose or bad... its not hanging at 3k rpm it goes down to about 12-1600 rpm and stays thier for a bit b4 it drops....

lilws6
09-12-2008, 04:51 PM
same thing mine does its a pre-stage idle pontiac programed in i swear lol

chargedformula
09-21-2008, 12:34 PM
possibly idle air control valve. it may be different but here is how to check the iac on a 95 car http://shbox.com/1/iac2.jpg

Mr. Brett
09-21-2008, 06:30 PM
I just replaced my IAC and it solved a big chunk of my surging and hanging issues. The rest is in the tune.

lilws6
09-21-2008, 11:32 PM
What type of surging? are you talking about the idle surge? i have a light surge in my car thats anoying the crap out of me but i think its the AIR system. cuz once that shuts off they stop flickering

Mr. Brett
09-22-2008, 12:46 PM
Mine would surge randomly up to 1800rpm at idle and occasionally in gear. A new IAC and some tweaking in the tune fixed it. I wouldn't know about the AIR system. Mine was removed within hours of buying the car.