PDA

View Full Version : remote mount turbo systems

That_Guy
09-10-2008, 03:02 PM
whats your opinion on them.. they make a kit for my car...but it looks like a hell of alot of plumbing to be done...

http://pi.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/i/universal/Cobalt_Turbo_View.JPG

http://pi.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/i/universal/Cobalt_Underhood.JPG

Poncho
09-10-2008, 03:10 PM
There will be one on my car, eventually.

That_Guy
09-10-2008, 03:15 PM

orly.. ive been doing some research on it.. and im starting to become a fan.. if i did it id probably do it a little differently ..

Josepy
09-10-2008, 03:17 PM
There junk plain and simple. Do some research on them. Do it the right way with a front mount system. I almost bought a rear mount but when I heard the problems they have and with my car being lowered not a good idea.

SLOWC5
09-10-2008, 03:21 PM
8.54x @ 164.97 - bloweryboy
9.331 @ 149.18 - STEALTH 99

from C5 forum 2 fastest C5 times to date

both are STS hybrid rear mount turbo kits

DurtyKurty
09-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Yeah, they have been proven to work. They are just so esthetically unpleasant.

That_Guy
09-10-2008, 03:39 PM
There junk plain and simple. Do some research on them. Do it the right way with a front mount system. I almost bought a rear mount but when I heard the problems they have and with my car being lowered not a good idea.

im lowered right now. there isnt much room right now...as far as clearing over the top of the rear axle

shoooo32
09-10-2008, 03:50 PM
I would trade up to a ss balt before I would bolt one of those things on. I'm guessing a factory ss would make more hp and have a factory warranty.

That_Guy
09-10-2008, 03:58 PM
I would trade up to a ss balt before I would bolt one of those things on. I'm guessing a factory ss would make more hp and have a factory warranty.

garret makes a kit that produces 230 hp 225 ftq with a tuning solution.. i payed 12 for my car 2500 dollars and im faster then stock ss/sc...:D also im already out of my warranty. i have a smt6 for tuning.. and im getting ready to build my own kit. im shooting for 8 psi 240 hp... i had just stumbled apon the remote mount kit while looking for a log manifold for my engine.

forest
09-10-2008, 04:20 PM

depends on the car its on, all the ones I have seen are complete garbage, nothing like having the boost pipe routed 1 inch from the drivers side catalyst haha:rolf:rolf the longer it ran, the less power it made.....:durr

SmokinRAM114
09-10-2008, 05:16 PM
^ this dood would know

Car Guy
09-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Well I know for a fact that there's a guy in the NW (Colorado) that has a custom setup on his `91 SHO Taurus, it's on a bone stock engine and he is running high 12's. Believe it or not (sadly) that is one of the faster SHO's in the country when talking 1/4 mile times. If I was to ever turbo our SHO I would seriously consider going the 'remote' route, but as with everything the engineering makes all the difference.....

Breecher_7
09-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Complete Junk IMO. Some of the Reasons above are why Seth went with a custom build vs a junk ass bolt on remote mount Kit. You can put a kit together yourself far cheaper as well and get better performance.

Breecher_7
09-10-2008, 05:59 PM

Be different, put a twin screw (kenne Bell) on it. You should see the silly ass power they can make with the LSX engines and how touchy the throttle is! :stare

Car Guy
09-10-2008, 06:25 PM
You can put a kit together yourself far cheaper as well and get better performance.

That's not the case for all applications.....

That_Guy
09-10-2008, 06:29 PM

to turbo my car it will cost me about 1,500 dollars..im in the process of saving as we speak and buying parts when they are a bargain

Breecher_7
09-10-2008, 07:09 PM

If you have the ability to fabricate parts id say that IS the case for all applications. And odds are you will end up with a much better finnished product.

Breecher_7
09-10-2008, 07:10 PM
to turbo my car it will cost me about 1,500 dollars..im in the process of saving as we speak and buying parts when they are a bargain

Wait till you find the stuff that will nickel and dime you.....

HY35F2T
09-10-2008, 07:17 PM
if u have a welder or acces to one thats half the battle.

Lash
09-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Turboing an eco motor?

Hahn Racecfaft!!!

/thread

Breecher_7
09-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Turboing an eco motor?

Hahn Racecfaft!!!

/thread

They make some questionable stuff but for this application id have to say its the best option.

UnderPSI
09-10-2008, 07:54 PM
I've had great experience with Hahn pieces.

That_Guy
09-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Turboing an eco motor?

Hahn Racecfaft!!!

/thread

there intake mani is just plane sick. im planning on using there down pipe..

BAD LS1
09-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Be a man and put a real kit on it, go with that hahn setup.

That_Guy
09-10-2008, 08:09 PM

i may its all up in the air...if i get the job that im interviewing for it will happen

forest
09-10-2008, 08:36 PM

can't say it any better than that.

forest
09-10-2008, 08:38 PM

haha the best part is, it was a GTO that has the boost pipe 1 inch from the factory catalyst.:rolf:rolf even if the cats are off the car, it still is RIGHT next to the exhaust, getting crazy hot, and melting things that don't really matter, like pistons an such.....:thumbsup

BoosTT
09-10-2008, 08:53 PM
A remote kit looks like it could be a major problem in the future. If you put one on, prepare to keep this car forever... I don't think you could even trade it in, yet alone sell it.

70 cutlass 442
09-10-2008, 09:27 PM
i may its all up in the air...if i get the job that im interviewing for it will happen

If you need someone to install a kit, let me know, Forrest is dynoing one of our combos right now for another board member..... Talk about a tight fit :wooo But i would hands down rock the traditional style turbo. :thumbsup

That_Guy
09-10-2008, 09:33 PM
If you need someone to install a kit, let me know, Forrest is dynoing one of our combos right now for another board member..... Talk about a tight fit :wooo But i would hands down rock the traditional style turbo. :thumbsup

nice... im still pulling a parts list and what not together... my biggest issue is getting the charge piping ran.. i know for sure ill need a hand with that.

forest
09-10-2008, 09:35 PM

its 9:35 and he is still "on the way" sucks dude...... I still gotta deliver a car tonight in MW. :goof

forest
09-10-2008, 09:36 PM
nice... im still pulling a parts list and what not together... my biggest issue is getting the charge piping ran.. i know for sure ill need a hand with that.

trust me, buy a kit, unless you have done this before, don't, your about to have the shit hit the fan so to speak, if you fab one up yourself.

That_Guy
09-10-2008, 09:38 PM
trust me, buy a kit, unless you have done this before, don't, your about to have the shit hit the fan so to speak, if you fab one up yourself.

i helped with a few people who have built custom kits.. they all have offered to help.. running the oil line from the pan.. is my largest worry.

forest
09-10-2008, 09:53 PM
i helped with a few people who have built custom kits.. they all have offered to help.. running the oil line from the pan.. is my largest worry.

It shouldn't be, what you should be worried about is, things like, being able to afford t bolt clamps, good couplers, being able to make a good enough weld that will not crack or break under 1000+ degrees of temp, choosing the right steel for the hot side, knowing where to put expansion pipes where there is a lot of stress on a hot side pipe, how to support the turbocharger itself, how large of an intercooler is nessecary, and will it fit without blocking the cooling system, will the cooling system support the higher underhood temps? Will the fuel system support the boost level you want to run? is the fuel pump capable of delivering the extra fuel pressure needed to pusha against the boost pressure? injectors, rail, regulator, tuning...... the list goes on and on to build a turbo system the right way. Do not think that just because some guy somwhere with a Honda put one on and it ran for a little while it will be ok, this is a big investment in your car and you want it to turn out right Im sure. All of the above reasons are why Tom and myself and others that are expeirienced are telling you to buy a kit that someone else has already engineered and addressed all these problems. :thumbsup Don't take this post the wrong way, just know that there are WAY more variables to a boosted car than you may think,

That_Guy
09-10-2008, 10:24 PM
It shouldn't be, what you should be worried about is, things like, being able to afford t bolt clamps, good couplers, being able to make a good enough weld that will not crack or break under 1000+ degrees of temp, choosing the right steel for the hot side, knowing where to put expansion pipes where there is a lot of stress on a hot side pipe, how to support the turbocharger itself, how large of an intercooler is nessecary, and will it fit without blocking the cooling system, will the cooling system support the higher underhood temps? Will the fuel system support the boost level you want to run? is the fuel pump capable of delivering the extra fuel pressure needed to pusha against the boost pressure? injectors, rail, regulator, tuning...... the list goes on and on to build a turbo system the right way. Do not think that just because some guy somwhere with a Honda put one on and it ran for a little while it will be ok, this is a big investment in your car and you want it to turn out right Im sure. All of the above reasons are why Tom and myself and others that are expeirienced are telling you to buy a kit that someone else has already engineered and addressed all these problems. :thumbsup Don't take this post the wrong way, just know that there are WAY more variables to a boosted car than you may think,

i promise i didnt take this post the wrong way. i completely understand what your saying.

Reverend Cooper
09-10-2008, 11:30 PM

This is a perfect reason for buying a kit QFT

Breecher_7
09-11-2008, 04:57 AM
This is a perfect reason for buying a kit QFT

Agreed!!!

BAD LS1
09-11-2008, 07:17 AM
Nramlow, also if u just buy a basic kit, get it on and working, dont expect stellar results right out of the gate either. Not that everyone cares, however Im 2 years in the making on getting mine perfected and it makes me want to slit my wrists all the time lol and rest assured that once you start making the power you want, rest assured you will be continuously upgrading driveline parts. So make sure this is something your commited to mentally and have a liquid cooled wallet as a foundation. No one can be happy at one low boost level thats a true car person, Turbos are an intoxicating drug, worse than spray.

BadAzzGTA89
09-11-2008, 07:28 AM
Turbos are over rated i have to listen to one spool up daily at 30psi:headbang

But that kit would be a good idea IMO due to the air should get cooler on the way to the front!

srt4eh
09-11-2008, 07:37 AM
Hahn kits are proven to be amazing for neons and cobalts...I'd stick with that....it'll save you a lot of trouble in the end.

GTSLOW
09-11-2008, 08:37 AM
I've heard people say STS cars are dyno queens. But then I've also seen some good times. I guess it depends on how it's setup. From what I've seen you want the factory manifold and the whole system needs to be wrapped. Now unless you only drive your car in the summer, the wrap will be a problem.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a properly setup STS kit.

Darrell
09-11-2008, 09:33 AM
:D

Mike Murillo, 3000+ horsepower with rear mounted turbos. I laughed when I first saw it and thought WTF is this guy doing. Then I seen the horsepower numbers...

http://www.mustangblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/twin_turbo_mustang.jpg

http://www.mustangblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/1350.jpg

CPonyGo
09-11-2008, 09:37 AM
^^^ when I first saw pics of that I was like wtf! Makes incrediable power plus he said helped balance out the car a lot..

BAD LS1
09-11-2008, 09:48 AM
That rear mount mustang owner has the time, money and knowledge to perfect it. These always mislead the novices into thinking its "easy" to make that kinda power "if they can make an 8 sec car with a rear mount, hell i can make a 13 sec car with one!" rude awakening hahah

A B4C Z
09-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Get the Hahn kit. They bar far make the best. The quality of everything is amazing. Like the old sain goes "you get what you pay for". When i had my cobalt i know that hahn was always up there. There was one other company out there that was makeing a trubo kit(for the supercharged cars) and that was it, but they were in canada. Get the hahn youll be happy.
for christ sake look at there caviler kit. 12s with a "stock" car and it had a shit ton of stero and body kit crap on it. There kits are proven to work time and time again.

Boost21
09-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Hope you will have something else to drive if it rains, I cant see water being the best on the turbo. I was thinking about doing a remote kit before I fabbed mine up but something about having a turbo just sitting for the taking made me nervous.

BAD LS1
09-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Hope you will have something else to drive if it rains, I cant see water being the best on the turbo. I was thinking about doing a remote kit before I fabbed mine up but something about having a turbo just sitting for the taking made me nervous.

Be more worried about the cast iron exhaust housing cracking due to the moisture than the water entering the compressor side... It would have to be submerged for it be a real threat to it.

Boost21
09-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Be more worried about the cast iron exhaust housing cracking due to the moisture than the water entering the compressor side... It would have to be submerged for it be a real threat to it.

Still though the thought of h2o hitting a EXTREMELY hot turbine cant be good on any levels. I was afrade about my hood that ducts to where I had my turbo. You cant even protect the exposed turbo or use a blanket because I can see it trapping water in it and messing up the turbo even more.

BAD LS1
09-11-2008, 11:11 AM
Well either way, more points to take into account.

Bart H
09-11-2008, 01:02 PM
CAN WE SAY laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggg gggggggggggg...

PonyKiller87
09-11-2008, 01:17 PM
I like the remote mount setups just because you can hide the turbos, go for the sleeper effect like that Tempest in Hot Rod a while back.

As far as Lag if your drag racing that shouldnt be a problem, your leaving the line under boost. If your a roll racer you might have issues though, lol.

Syclone0044
09-11-2008, 02:20 PM
What ever happened to the black LS1 Trans Am on HWY that had an STS remote mount? I seen him hit the throttle a few times and it sounded decent. Did that project ever pan out? What kind of times did he run?

Sleeper Sierra
09-11-2008, 04:38 PM
definitely go with a kit or have a proffesional do your turbo setup, and as you are making your list you should go see forest to make sure your list is complete so you make sure you have all the parts or at least enough money to buy them before you start the project, trust me I have talked to alot of peaople who have turbo trucks like myself and almost none of them make any where near the numbers that my trucks make. Imo west bend dyno tuning is very fairly priced and you would not be dissapointed with the results. If you do go with a kit I would definitely go with the hahn kit.

DoubleAron
09-11-2008, 04:56 PM
:D

Mike Murillo, 3000+ horsepower with rear mounted turbos. I laughed when I first saw it and thought WTF is this guy doing. Then I seen the horsepower numbers...

http://www.mustangblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/twin_turbo_mustang.jpg

http://www.mustangblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/1350.jpg

I'm pretty sure Murillo is in the process of switching to front mounts.

Darrell
09-11-2008, 05:26 PM
I'm pretty sure Murillo is in the process of switching to front mounts.

Really? I haven't heard that but I haven't kept up with much this year.

DoubleAron
09-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Really? I haven't heard that but I haven't kept up with much this year.

I thought I remember seeing something on Yellowbullet about it. Maybe even out testing already.

Darrell
09-12-2008, 03:18 PM
I thought I remember seeing something on Yellowbullet about it. Maybe even out testing already.

Cool. I'll have to check it out. Murrillo is always doing some cool shit.