PDA

View Full Version : Travel Agents?

Crawlin
09-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Relatives/members/anyone you normally use?

I need to get the hell outta WI for awhile. Take a much needed vacation.

Chris

CobraSnake
09-09-2008, 03:00 PM
I never understood why you would pay someone to set up your vacation. Just call around and find the best price. It really isn't that hard is it?? How much does a travel agent make??? I might need to look into it.

Mark

DirtyMax
09-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Since you asked....

Agents/Agencies get group rates and the good ones have enough networking experience that you're not going to get set up at some shitty place, which is the risk you run when you book it all yourself.

If you aren't familar with the area, their expertise can be extremely valuable.

That and alot of people just dont have time to **** around with arranging everything themselves. The discounts they get off the pkgs. usually offset their fees and having an agent is often fairly transparent to you, the consumer.

The best travel agents are people who have traveled alot or know people who've traveled alot who have shitloads of references.

Alot of times you cant trust the "star ratings" you find on the web. They're extremely skewed and there may be alot of info that isn't exposed yet on the Internet (management changes, renovations, etc.)

xxtremeteam
09-09-2008, 03:15 PM
my brother is also looking to goto germany so any hook ups with travel agents or good success stories please let us know

SLOWC5
09-09-2008, 03:22 PM
I've had goodluck finding cheaper flights and packages on www.kayak.com and www.sidestep.com. Of course these were trips that I've been there already. searching the internet on travel forums works out nice to find out nice places to stay, shit to see.

I need a vacation too, Fvck

JEFF

xxtremeteam
09-09-2008, 03:26 PM
I need a vaction also went on a honeymoon in june first real vaction ever went to mexico and noe dec 12th cant come soon enough my wife talked her parents into taking the whole family to mexico in dec as bdays/xmas gifts

CobraSnake
09-09-2008, 03:29 PM
I'm going to hawaii at the end of this year beginning of next. I can't wait.

Mark

CobraSnake
09-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Since you asked....

Agents/Agencies get group rates and the good ones have enough networking experience that you're not going to get set up at some shitty place, which is the risk you run when you book it all yourself.

If you aren't familar with the area, their expertise can be extremely valuable.

That and alot of people just dont have time to **** around with arranging everything themselves. The discounts they get off the pkgs. usually offset their fees and having an agent is often fairly transparent to you, the consumer.

The best travel agents are people who have traveled alot or know people who've traveled alot who have shitloads of references.

Alot of times you cant trust the "star ratings" you find on the web. They're extremely skewed and there may be alot of info that isn't exposed yet on the Internet (management changes, renovations, etc.)

thank you for clarfying that for me. I just really didn't know the details because if I need a vacation I just book it myself. I have a timeshare I might be willing to sell for the right price. They have condo's all over the world just let me know where you plan on going.

Mark

Crawlin
09-09-2008, 03:33 PM
I never understood why you would pay someone to set up your vacation. Just call around and find the best price. It really isn't that hard is it?? How much does a travel agent make??? I might need to look into it.

Mark

1.) I work 8am-9:30pm

2.) I have the money

3.) I'm lazy as hell and looking for ideas on what to do

Same thing as someone buying a car. I could do all the searching and haggling, etc... But if someone has a trusted person they deal with, I'll go them them if *I* feel it's a fair deal. That means even if they make money on me. I guess it's just my understanding an extra $100-200/person isn't gonna make me poor, and that everyone works and has to feed the family.

xxtremeteam
09-09-2008, 04:19 PM
I'm going to hawaii at the end of this year beginning of next. I can't wait.

Mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGKQhumRvlI&feature=related

shoooo32
09-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Lisa Blaguski at Carson Wagonlit travel. 414-770-1300. We used her for our destination wedding and another trip to Mexico. Awesome customer service and the rates were better than the online sites.