PDA

View Full Version : my 96 merc grand marquis wont start.. need help please

shawn
09-09-2008, 11:50 AM
its got the 4.6l in it, its got 163xxx miles on it. ive had the car for about a year now and it wont start at all. about a month ago it started to give me problems when i would go to start it, it wouldnt start. i'll would let it sit in the same spot for awhile and lets say i go to start it the next day, it would fire right up. and next thing you know it wouldnt start again. theres even been times when i would push the car foward a lil bit or backwards and then i would go to start it and it would fire up. all it does now is just crank over all day, i can smell the gas so i know its now the fuel pump, i was woundering its the crankshaft position sensor would be the cause of all my problems. like i said b4 i been driving this car for about a good year and i never had any problems untill now. i only paid 750 for the car, but its too nice for me to sell it. any and all help would be wounderful. thanks

Yooformula
09-09-2008, 11:53 AM
did you try a new starter?

shawn
09-09-2008, 12:16 PM
i wouldnt think its the starter, cuz everytime i try to start it, it turns over with no problems.

DirtyMax
09-09-2008, 12:48 PM
If it turns over you have voltage and the starter is OK.

Make sure you have fuel and spark. I'd check ignition related things and just because you smell fuel doesn't mean the fuel system isn't malfunctioning.

What I would not do is just start throwing parts at it. It's be cheaper to have it diagnosed by a shop (even if they don't repair it) then to start doing that.

03CVLX
09-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Shawn,

I just noticed this thread now. Did you ever get the problem figured out? If you still have questions or need help try signing up over at www.crownvic.net . There is surely another Grand Marquis or Crownvic owner who has had the same issue as you.