PDA

View Full Version : a few nitrous ?

4eyedstang
09-09-2008, 07:38 AM
i am thinking of spraying my mustang this winter just have a few questions.

can i use a 100 shot with a 650cfm speed demon carb with a mechanical fuel pump? or do i have to add some kind of electric fuel pump.

what other supporting mods will i have to get to keep the motor in one piece?

what would be the best kit for the money?

any suggestion would be appreciated

Inspector13
09-09-2008, 08:43 AM
Are you thinking dry shot or wet shot??

As long as you tune it right you should be able to run a 100 shot. Just to play it safe I would make sure your ignition system is up to snuff.

I'm running a NX wet kit with a Trickflow spray bar, and a NX bottle heater, bottle blanket, and a purge, but mine is fuel injected.

Hope what little useless information I provided helps some.

juicedimpss
09-09-2008, 08:49 AM

As long as you tune it right you should be able to run a 100 shot. Just to play it safe I would make sure your ignition system is up to snuff.

I'm running a NX wet kit with a Trickflow spray bar, and a NX bottle heater, bottle blanket, and a purge, but mine is fuel injected.

a dry shot with a carb?http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h199/juicedimpss/smiley_nono.gif

i would run a dedicated electric pump/regulator with that setup.I have never personally tried to spray off a mechanical pump,and really dont think it is up to the task of delivering that much fuel safetly.

4eyedstang
09-09-2008, 08:49 AM

I'm thinking of getting a wet system and this car has no computer or engine management system so i am not sure how to tune it either.

Inspector13
09-09-2008, 09:10 AM
I never said a dry shot and a carb were a good idea but I'm sure they make them.

On a wet kit I'd probably switch to an electric fuel pump and regulator. Just gotta take out a little ignition timing seeing as how the extra fuel will be added with the nitrous.

I'm running 10* advance on my 5.0 with a 100 shot.

Irish
09-09-2008, 11:08 AM
I never said a dry shot and a carb were a good idea but I'm sure they make them.

On a wet kit I'd probably switch to an electric fuel pump and regulator. Just gotta take out a little ignition timing seeing as how the extra fuel will be added with the nitrous.

I'm running 10* advance on my 5.0 with a 100 shot.

To my knowledge no one makes a dry kit for a carb set-up.

Inspector13
09-09-2008, 11:16 AM
To my knowledge no one makes a dry kit for a carb set-up.

LOL I got fuel injection so that shall be my excuse for my lack of carb related nitrous knowlage.

Irish
09-09-2008, 11:31 AM
LOL I got fuel injection so that shall be my excuse for my lack of carb related nitrous knowlage.

That's cool, it's not like you posted... "what's a cam?" :rolf

*DISCLAIMER* (Don't get butt hurt Mark, I am just joking)

Sprayaway Fox
09-09-2008, 01:05 PM
NX kits are good I like them. The sniper kit is great too but if you swap jets a lot the plate fittings wear out. Start with a 75 to 100 hit 1st! dont get greedy right away. get a good fuel pump something with a lot of GPH thats regulated yet. youll have to start changing plugs more often if you start using it a lot. Pull 2 degrees and give it a whirl. Read plugs. I have never pulled timing out of a 75 100 shot, but that is MY expeirence. But to make sure you dont make junk please do. PS get a good ignition system. High cylinder pressure needs a good spark make sure ignition is up to task.

Sprayaway Fox
09-09-2008, 01:12 PM
PS run a set of autolites or something DONT USE platinum plugs. put a new set in before hit and checkm out after.

4eyedstang
09-09-2008, 01:55 PM
so i do have to get an electric fuel pump. does that mean i need a new gas tank because mine doesn't have a return? or would it be easier to just have a small fuel cell just for the nitrous

70 cutlass 442
09-09-2008, 02:10 PM
so i do have to get an electric fuel pump. does that mean i need a new gas tank because mine doesn't have a return? or would it be easier to just have a small fuel cell just for the nitrous

no, but while your at it, why not just remove that dinosaur mechanical pump and run everythign off of one good high flowing fuel pump.

juicedimpss
09-09-2008, 02:22 PM

i have done the dedicated cell before,it works out great,as you can fill it with GOOD fuel and still run the car on 92 when spraying.

4eyedstang
09-09-2008, 03:06 PM
i have done the dedicated cell before,it works out great,as you can fill it with GOOD fuel and still run the car on 92 when spraying.

great point i never even thought about that :thumbsup
how was yours set up? did you just have a switch to turn on the pump when you needed it?

i did run a electric fuel pump on this car before and the noise drove me nuts
and with this car electric issues the less wires the better.

juicedimpss
09-09-2008, 03:11 PM
great point i never even thought about that :thumbsup
how was yours set up? did you just have a switch to turn on the pump when you needed it?

i did run a electric fuel pump on this car before and the noise drove me nuts
and with this car electric issues the less wires the better.
i wired it so the pump ran when the nitrous was armed.