PDA

View Full Version : Auto Battery Shutoff

ND4SPD
09-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Since my Supra tends to sit most of the time, all of the added electronics tend to wipe the battery out between drives. I know I've heard of battery shutoff devices that monitor the battery's voltage and trigger an automatic shut-off once the voltage gets too low (to provide enough of a reserve to still start the car). Has anyone seen anything like this? I know I saw one at a big box store at one point, but I can't remember where. If anyone has any web links for stuff like this it'd be appreciated too.

juicedimpss
09-08-2008, 09:56 AM
why not plug a battery tender into the car to maintain power while you are not using it?
they DO extend the life of your battery.

DirtyMax
09-08-2008, 09:59 AM
That or one of those inline knobs that you can twist in/out to mane contace and complete the + connection. They're usually installed inline right near the battery.

I like the little low voltage battery tender idea better tho.

PonyKiller87
09-08-2008, 11:56 AM
I use the Battery Tender Jr. Works great and it was only about $40 at batteries plus. They also sell the other thing your talking about, not sure how much it costs but its pretty much just a relay setup so that when the voltage gets to low it opens and disconnects the battery, not sure what you have to do to start it after that though.

Boost21
09-08-2008, 12:32 PM
My rents used to use something called "battery buddy" It would cut power when voltage got down to a certain voltage. Sounds same as what ponykiller has

ND4SPD
09-08-2008, 12:33 PM
why not plug a battery tender into the car to maintain power while you are not using it?
they DO extend the life of your battery.

Well right now because there isn't any power where it's at.

The device I saw does pretty much what you said PonyKiller... there's a button or switch on it that you have to hit for the bypass once the battery has reached the trigger voltage. I'll have to check batteries plus then. I suppose I could also just put a shutoff on it... but I like high-tech solutions. :D

The battery buddy looks promising.

Karps TA
09-08-2008, 12:37 PM
I'd rather have the battery tender personally so I don't have to reset my radio and every other electronic gizmo I got.

PonyKiller87
09-08-2008, 12:57 PM
I put in the big red key switch cut out that you see at most parts stores. If I had to do it again I would have put in a big relay instead and then just put in a small kill switch, that would make it really easy to build your own setup to disconnect the battery at a certain voltage.

modmachz
09-08-2008, 08:07 PM
I put in the big red key switch cut out that you see at most parts stores. If I had to do it again I would have put in a big relay instead and then just put in a small kill switch, that would make it really easy to build your own setup to disconnect the battery at a certain voltage. We use the battery tender JR's

I have a few for sale If anybody needs them, also when you buy ours you will get extra clips, extra battery ends for free.These are great for anything, just plug it in and forget about It.

34.00 262-521-2250 Donny...

ND4SPD
09-08-2008, 09:42 PM
I think you guys missed what I said about not having power... meaning no wall outlets where the car is so I can't use a battery tender.

Windsors 03 Cobra
09-08-2008, 09:47 PM
I would disco. the battery while it sits or try a solar battery maintainer.

While my car sits for the winter I leave the battery hooked up (pretty low draw) and try to throw a trickle charge on it every 2 mos.

Sprayaway Fox
09-09-2008, 01:42 AM
Sounds like for storage. I have used those twist off inline battery knobs the work but you gotta reset everything.