PDA

View Full Version : Feeler: Looking for fish tank stuff for my 55L

Firefighter Z
09-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Just getting a feel to see what people have to offer...

I'm currently running a 55L fish tank and I'm looking for some things that people want to get ride of without an outrageous price or free:

Hi-Flow Filtration system Canister (I like to have a current in my tank)
Unwanted tank gravel
Decorations
etc.

If you have tanks larger than a 55 gal, please let me know.

Thanks!

GTSLOW
09-07-2008, 10:05 PM
You can get Oscars from walmart for dirt cheap.

Firefighter Z
09-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Yeah I know I bought fish from them and I wont do it again.. Plus 10bux for 1 Oscar is outrageous

Korndogg
09-07-2008, 10:17 PM
i just got a red tailed shark and 2 red glass barbs and the female keeps nipping at the shark and not letting him eat. its pissing me off. ok sorry. carry on.

Firefighter Z
09-07-2008, 10:26 PM
yeah Barbs are aggressive fish, is the shark bigger than the barbs?

Korndogg
09-07-2008, 10:32 PM
no hes smaller actually. i want him to eat so he can grow a little bit and get a lil more agressive lol

Firefighter Z
09-07-2008, 10:41 PM
yeah until then your going to have problems possible death.

Korndogg
09-07-2008, 10:43 PM
yeah hes most likely going to die because he wont eat at all. he gets aggressive when they go by his spot but thats about it. hell go and look for food but when i put some in he just goes away even if the other fish arent in that area.

GTSLOW
09-07-2008, 11:12 PM
You should get turtles. I've got two RES in a 55gal tank w/ a water fall and a Fluval 4+. Nice setup :)

BoosTT
09-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Just getting a feel to see what people have to offer...

I'm currently running a 55L fish tank and I'm looking for some things that people want to get ride of without an outrageous price or free:

- Oscars
- Red Devils
- Jack Dempsies
Pretty much anything in the Chiclid family that are still young, but let me know what you have just incase I change my mind.

55L Light/ Hood
150 watt + heaters
Hi-Flow Filtration system (I like to have a current in my tank)
Unwanted tank gravel
Decorations
etc.

If you have tanks larger than a 55 gal, please let me know.

Thanks!

I have pretty much this exact same setup. Your going to want more then a 150 watt heater. I use a 300 watt on my 55l. Also an undergravel filter, along with a top filter. How about an air pump or two as well? You'll want atleast one for a 100l tank, if you use the undergravel filter. I would only buy fish and supplys from aquidics unlimited on hwy 100. Anything else is a waste of money. Go there, ask questions, they really know what they are doing.

Also-- what's $10 for a fish that live 7 years? You could only fit $75 worth of fish in a tank that size anyway. The electricitly the tank uses is $20 a month in summer and closer to $30 in winter.

GTSLOW
09-08-2008, 07:10 PM
I've got a 100watt & a 50 and it keeps the water perfect for my turtles. 76* F

Mr. Brett
09-08-2008, 08:48 PM
+1 for Aquatics Unlimited. I won't buy fish or supplies anywhere else.

Firefighter Z
09-08-2008, 11:05 PM
I have pretty much this exact same setup. Your going to want more then a 150 watt heater. I use a 300 watt on my 55l. Also an undergravel filter, along with a top filter. How about an air pump or two as well? You'll want atleast one for a 100l tank, if you use the undergravel filter. I would only buy fish and supplys from aquidics unlimited on hwy 100. Anything else is a waste of money. Go there, ask questions, they really know what they are doing.

Also-- what's $10 for a fish that live 7 years? You could only fit $75 worth of fish in a tank that size anyway. The electricitly the tank uses is $20 a month in summer and closer to $30 in winter.

I think I have a 150 watt but i'd have to check... But its been keeping my tank at 79* constant.

I always go to Aquatics Unlimited, but people been telling me to go to Hoffers? on N. 76th cause they have a good selection but Im not making the drive out there.

I have 2 air pumps for my tank, but if I go with a hi-flow canister I wont use them. My neighbor wants to sell me his 2-150? gal doubled power filters for $40 (he has a 75G and keep it crystal clear) so I might snag that up.

Under gravel filters I had once and wont use it again.