PDA

View Full Version : weight lifters?

mynameismike65
09-07-2008, 05:53 PM
How many of you lift? I have been for about the last 8 months and I have pretty decent arms......I eat good (alot of protein, carbs, good fats from like red meat) however Im in college so In the school year I eat differently (not as good) Im considering compensating with whey protein...what do you all think.....Im going for a large/strong appearance and want to build more mass....
http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii31/mynameismike65/?action=view&current=DSCN0804.jpg

boostin350z
09-07-2008, 06:04 PM
i just got back into lifting actually (about 2 months) and i started to use a combination of muscle milk/nitro-tech protein powder (after lifting) and CE2 (creatine pill- no loading phase) along with a pretty balanced diet, and ive gained some mass. thats only lifting 3 times a week with a full 24-48 hours between lifts per area. alternating arms,chest,shoulders,etc/ and upper back and legs,lower back. i also tried out hydroxycut hardcore and im seeing immediate results. definately helps you get more cut and defined.

dr doom
09-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Ive been lifting for a few years now. Looks like you have some good results. Keep up the good work.

05caddyext
09-07-2008, 07:28 PM
whey protein is useless if you eat enough natural protein in your diet. 1G of protein for each 1LB of body weight is the formula for enough. If you want to build mass, take steroids. If you don't want to do anything unnatural, then you have to start lifting a lot more weight to gain mass. On your 3rd set, you should only be able to get 1-3 reps with very heavy weight. Get the book - The Encyclopedia of Body Building by Arnold Schwarzenneger. What kind of workout do you currently do? Each day of the week should be a different body part, doing more than 1 in a routine will not help you get bigger.

Example - Day 1 - Back, Day 2 - Chest, Day 3 - Legs, Day 4 - Shoulders, Day 5 - Bicep, Day 6 - Tricep. If you don't want to do that many days, combine muscle groups you don't want to get huge, but keep Bicep day by itself for example. The key to big arms is not biceps, its tri-ceps. Tri's are 2x as big as the bicep. Work those, you will notice a huge size increase in arms.

boostin350z
09-07-2008, 07:30 PM
ive put on about 12 pounds of muscle in the last month and a half, and the routine i do seems to be working. just remember to switch your workout every so often so you shock your muscles, otherwise you overwork them and they wont grow to their full potential. just remeber to balance out your fast and slow twitch muscles if you want to get bigger and more cut. since i just got back into jiu jitsu, its keeping me in tip top shape, and helping me lose alot of extra weight. heres a quick pic. oooh lala

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m15/z33_drift_king/dimitri.jpg

HAMRHEAD
09-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Just stick with the protein and decent diet to put on mass. Lift heavy also. Save the light loads for the cutting phase. Keep shocking the muscle groups. Once you have been lifting for awhile the results are going to slow down. No more major jumps. Everything is gonna be slow to come with a lot of work. Unless you find some find equipoise laying around :thumbsup

PureSound15
09-07-2008, 09:14 PM
I've been lifting for years - (no Yoosof, I'm not juicing).

Nothing better than a hard workout. My new favorite is dead lift, it's helped out my squat like nothing else.

lasttimearound
09-07-2008, 09:47 PM
heres a quick pic. oooh lala

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m15/z33_drift_king/dimitri.jpg

up there with most homo post of the year. how gay are you to take a pic in the mirror?

HP ADDICT
09-07-2008, 11:20 PM
up there with most homo post of the year. how gay are you to take a pic in the mirror?

LoL.
On a side note supplementing with protien is a staple in building big mass. 1.5 grams of protien is what I usually shoot for. At 190#s its hard to get 270 grams in with diet alone. But hey lift heavy lift often and focus on the mass builders like squat, deadlift, bench, pullups etc and you will show good gains. Small muscle groups like the arms require the least amount of work and are the easiest to overtrain. I don't do the day on day off thing. I listen to my body, if I feel recovered I lift if not I don't. Basically diet and work are everything.

Berettaspeed
09-07-2008, 11:27 PM
i have failed at lifting. LOL i tried to build some mass, but i cant. although i was getting alot stronger. 10 was my magic number. sets of ten and i would switch from heavy to light then somewhere in between then to the heavy. doing this you use different muscles during the work out.

but um depending on what you think is heavy. i cant bench for shit. never could. but i tried for about 5 months. LOL then i was getting into running for about 2 months. i stoped that too. i need to start something up again.

PureSound15
09-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Well some people just aren't designed to be big guys. Genetics are everything with weightlifting.

I'm lucky - I can lift for 2 weeks and see a difference, I can pack on mass faster than most of my lifting buddies. But then I have friends who are just as strong as I am, but don't have the bulk that I do regardless of diet or weights.

BadAzzGTA89
09-08-2008, 06:48 AM
I been lifting for less than a year and seen results from protein multi vitamins garlic pills and just lifting heavy and switching up the routine so muscles don't become "stale"

PureSound15...Well some people just aren't designed to be big guys. Genetics are everything with weightlifting.

I agree 100%

boostin350z
09-08-2008, 11:24 AM

just a pic for reference, i can post a naked pic of my cawk n balls, thatd be pretty homo no? op just used a car window instead.:thumbsup

boostin350z
09-08-2008, 11:25 AM
I've been lifting for years - (no Yoosof, I'm not juicing).

Nothing better than a hard workout. My new favorite is dead lift, it's helped out my squat like nothing else.

dead lift, and power clenas/hangs. imo, squats are the ultimate workout

Troutman
09-08-2008, 12:34 PM
How many of you lift? I have been for about the last 8 months and I have pretty decent arms......I eat good (alot of protein, carbs, good fats from like red meat) however Im in college so In the school year I eat differently (not as good) Im considering compensating with whey protein...what do you all think.....Im going for a large/strong appearance and want to build more mass....
http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii31/mynameismike65/?action=view&current=DSCN0804.jpg

alot of people say and think that they eat good, but really dont. you really need to plan a week of meals out in advance and a schedule of eating, recording calories, protein, carbs, etc. what does your diet consist of? how many calories are you taking in? what does your workout look like?

if you are looking to gain mass, then i suggest buying this book and following it to a "T"
http://www.scrawnytobrawny.com/

i have it if you would like to borrow it

also try
http://books.google.com/books?id=04GJNEwE6zMC&dq=nutreient+timing+book&pg=PP1&ots=njZDtg5o0l&sig=ZvNtRLyfF7xGgowU_l4f5MRz7sM&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result
i have this as well.

the key ingredients to getting big are eating big, training big, and sleeping big, plain and simple. when i was bulking up i spent roughly $130 dollars/week at the grocery store, so be prepared. get at least 8 hours of sleep, and consentrate on compound lifts like others have stated. (bench, squats, dead lift, pull ups. ) oh, and throw out the idea of having or keeping a six-pack. no one is going to put on 20lb of muscle without adding fat

as far as supplements go, i suggest starting with a good whey protein, creatine, ZMA, and a good pre/PWO shake. get your diet, and training in check before you move on to other things.

as far as myself, ive been lifting consitantly for the past 6 years...and prior to that off and on in college for a couple years.

and so everyone doesnt give 350Z and ton of grief for the pic...

present day...6'0" 210lbs
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/hulkstar/l_8ca5c205ebcfb29dbb997ccd631cb31e.jpg

this was taken back in 97, but pretty much represents my size when i started lifting back in '02... 6'0" 140lbs *note the bitchin leabron in the background. (shortly after i drove this into the back of an acura...)
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/hulkstar/1309943499_l.jpg

Yooformula
09-08-2008, 12:50 PM
wow. alot of good and bad shit here.

1. you dont pack on 12lbs of muscle in a week, 2 weeks, a month or 6 months......not possible without juice.

2.gaining muscle takes a long time. newbies always blow up with water weight which isnt bad but keep it in perspective. get body fat analysis done so you know what you are gaining.

3.get some REAL opinions on how you look...not just close friends but people that work out.

4.READ READ READ!!!!protein, fat and carbs all in moderation and a ton of yogurt all in a nice balance but focus on proteins! chicken and fish only really. not even worth messing with red meats anymore honestly as they are too high in cholesterol and will raise your blood pressure. I am speaking from 1st hand experience.

5.pictures are your best friend!!!!! you can never have too many when it comes to trying to grow. remember what you build now will last you YEARS after you are done or you take a break.

6. keep all gains/losses in perspective! nobody likes to talk about the depression that comes on AFTER you peak and you take time off! IT SUCKS! think of the bigger goal and always focus on something but take time off to rest!!

there is sooooooo much shit to learn about this its not even funny!

Anakonda69
09-08-2008, 02:00 PM
i lift. no added supplements except a one a day vitamin pill. have a nerve problem in my left shoulder that prevents some exercises. i'm not as tone as most but being 6'1" 300lbs. tends to hurt that tone look. lol

twirkin50
09-08-2008, 02:29 PM
there is sooooooo much shit to learn about this its not even funny!

I have been lifting now for about 8 years. Started at about 125lbs and now I am a pretty lean 190lbs. I still learn new things every week when it comes to diet, nutrition, and training.

You can pretty much break down your results from working out like this:

60% nutrition and diet
25% water and rest
15% training

Don't expect to make solid gains off of fast food or high sugary fats.

Eat, Eat, Eat, and then train.

HP ADDICT
09-08-2008, 02:35 PM
I gained 12#s of muscle in 6 months with no juice. Just diet, hard work and good genetics believe me for some of us it is possible.

Anakonda69
09-08-2008, 04:13 PM
my family is all naturally large. i have lost 25lbs. over the past 7 months. not a ton but better then gaining. summertime is always a slow down time for me and working out. so much going on.

VroomPshhTsi
09-08-2008, 04:24 PM
5'9" 150 lbs. here, trying to get to 160 and stay there or above... I don't have that large of an appetite but I do eat probably 4-5 small meals a day

Lift 3 times a week
Run (3 miles) 2-3 times a week

twirkin50
09-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Lift 3 times a week
Run (3 miles) 2-3 times a week

You are really going to have to start eating if you want to gain any weight with that much cardio.

Troutman
09-08-2008, 09:20 PM
You are really going to have to start eating if you want to gain any weight with that much cardio.

agreed. you are going to have to train yourself to eat more, gradually ramp up your calorie intake. with that much endurance running, you will have a hard time building mass. if you still want to do cardio, i suggest you do a type of interval running...mixing jogging with sprints.
Jog for 20 seconds
Sprint for 10 seconds
Jog for 20 seconds
And continue

mynameismike65
09-08-2008, 09:55 PM
alot of people say and think that they eat good, but really dont. you really need to plan a week of meals out in advance and a schedule of eating, recording calories, protein, carbs, etc. what does your diet consist of? how many calories are you taking in? what does your workout look like?

if you are looking to gain mass, then i suggest buying this book and following it to a "T"
http://www.scrawnytobrawny.com/

i have it if you would like to borrow it

also try
http://books.google.com/books?id=04GJNEwE6zMC&dq=nutreient+timing+book&pg=PP1&ots=njZDtg5o0l&sig=ZvNtRLyfF7xGgowU_l4f5MRz7sM&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result
i have this as well.

the key ingredients to getting big are eating big, training big, and sleeping big, plain and simple. when i was bulking up i spent roughly $130 dollars/week at the grocery store, so be prepared. get at least 8 hours of sleep, and consentrate on compound lifts like others have stated. (bench, squats, dead lift, pull ups. ) oh, and throw out the idea of having or keeping a six-pack. no one is going to put on 20lb of muscle without adding fat

as far as supplements go, i suggest starting with a good whey protein, creatine, ZMA, and a good pre/PWO shake. get your diet, and training in check before you move on to other things.

as far as myself, ive been lifting consitantly for the past 6 years...and prior to that off and on in college for a couple years.

and so everyone doesnt give 350Z and ton of grief for the pic...

present day...6'0" 210lbs
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/hulkstar/l_8ca5c205ebcfb29dbb997ccd631cb31e.jpg

this was taken back in 97, but pretty much represents my size when i started lifting back in '02... 6'0" 140lbs *note the bitchin leabron in the background. (shortly after i drove this into the back of an acura...)
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/hulkstar/1309943499_l.jpg

Holy Sh*t man I cant believe thats the same person in those two pics....I saw you at the Project 2 show and thought you looked like a beast and was going to talk to you about lifting but I felt too gay:D anyways my diet used to be this.....breakfast- special K/almond cereal (not much for brekfast) Lunch- Ham (lots)/cheese bagle sandwhich,bowl pretzels,yogurt,nature valley bar,fruit Dinner-Lots of meat....varying from steak,pork,chicken,beef,ect, veggies,a side such as potatoes.(I also ate about 8 eggs a week,toast,hash browns).....I also drink alot of milk and water (no soda). Now Im back at school and alot of the food is shit. I will definetly look at that book you suggested because based on your pics you obviously know what your doing. Also Im on the fence on my protein...I got the GNC brand whey protein and after i workout i dont feel as "swollen" or like I worked myself as much as I should. Is this because my muscles are being repared quicker and Im not getting as much lactic acid buildup? I just feel like Im taking a step backward when i take it you know what I mean? Thanks for all the advice man........btw I think I saw you last week on North ave. near Oakland.......the car sounds nice.

badass88gt
09-08-2008, 10:37 PM
I lift also but I dont have the framework or genetics to get real big. My little brother has that, he is in great shape and does nothing in teh last few years in the gym. Must be nice, little bastard.

I do mainly upper body stuff and a day of legs/back, only spending about 45 minutes in the gym. I'm not real serious about it, my diet sucks and I know it, but I feel better after working out a little.

VroomPshhTsi
09-08-2008, 11:15 PM
yeah i hear ya, i feel guilty though if i don't run at least 2 times a week lol

i do love sprinting though, so we'll see

as much as i want to gain weight, it's equally hard to part with definition

Troutman
09-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Holy Sh*t man I cant believe thats the same person in those two pics....I saw you at the Project 2 show and thought you looked like a beast and was going to talk to you about lifting but I felt too gay:D anyways my diet used to be this.....breakfast- special K/almond cereal (not much for brekfast) Lunch- Ham (lots)/cheese bagle sandwhich,bowl pretzels,yogurt,nature valley bar,fruit Dinner-Lots of meat....varying from steak,pork,chicken,beef,ect, veggies,a side such as potatoes.(I also ate about 8 eggs a week,toast,hash browns).....I also drink alot of milk and water (no soda). Now Im back at school and alot of the food is shit. I will definetly look at that book you suggested because based on your pics you obviously know what your doing. Also Im on the fence on my protein...I got the GNC brand whey protein and after i workout i dont feel as "swollen" or like I worked myself as much as I should. Is this because my muscles are being repared quicker and Im not getting as much lactic acid buildup? I just feel like Im taking a step backward when i take it you know what I mean? Thanks for all the advice man........btw I think I saw you last week on North ave. near Oakland.......the car sounds nice.

if you walked up to me with your shirt tied in a bun...then it would be gay, but i understand.

to be honest, IMO.. buy the book., or borrow mine. it will provide you the foundation that you need for your diet and workout program. i learned a TON of information from it, and it made me realize how mis-informed i was for many years. your diet isnt terrible, but it needs a bit of improvement. breakfast especially. what i ate while bulking was half a carton of egg whites, 2-3 eggs, bowl of brocolli, kidney beans, almonds or cashews, multi-vit and fish oil tablets. just thinking about that food in the morning made me want to puke, but i had to "train" myself to eat it...after a few weeks, it was not a problem.

a protein shake is good for a 3rd or 5th meal. i usually have 1 maybe 2 a day. for pre/during/post workouts, you want carbs..lotsa carbs this is what i used and still use today.
http://www.t-nation.com/productInfo.do?id=459244
1 before a workout with bcaa tablets
1 during
1 post with one scoop of protein, bcaa tablets and 5g of creatine.
this usually leaves me feeling bloated, and looking like a fat ass, but its the best combo i have found so far. depending on what type of work out you do will leave you feeling "swollen".. i never taken any supplement that gave me that feeling...but things differ from person to person.

im not trying to push the book, but it worked really well for me. when i started it, i weighed in at 170...finished at 200 with solid gains in lifts and body measurements. if i can find my data sheets i could post my beinging and ending results.

if you have any specific questions or what not...feel free to ask. also check out "natural high" on greenfield in west allis for supplements...forget GNC and all their over-priced hyped up stuff.

i was on north ave last weekend. i got lost cause i dont think i have ever seen that area of town in the daylight.

badass88gt
09-08-2008, 11:41 PM
Have you guys seen this site to track your diet? Its an online journal. Free.

www.FitDay.com

sidewayzbimmer
09-08-2008, 11:54 PM
I have tried many methods and applied many methods to people ive trained. Eat Eat Eat and lift heavy. Many different ways to gain it just takes time be patient it wont happen over night. And remember pictures online dont do a whole lot you always look bigger. When i started back lifting a few years ago i weighed about 160. I now weigh like 202 and im just under 6'.

on another note if you need some pointers pm me and you can meet me at the gym or if anyone just wants to get in a good workout always fun working out with people you dont know, you push yourself harder.....

VroomPshhTsi
09-09-2008, 08:50 AM
http://www.crossfit.com/

my brother is down at fort bragg and he loves this site, anyone else use it?