PDA

View Full Version : Title Question

ThatWhiteCivic
09-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Ok I sold a guy in IL my previous car about 2 months ago. He calls me today around 3 and says the car got broken into 2 days ago and they stole the seats and some other stuff including the title (why it was in the car I don't know), and asked if I could get him a replacement since he never registered it in his name. Then he calls me about an hour later and says the whole car is gone now and he called the cops etc. and he really needs the title Monday. What would you do? Be a nice guy and get the title for him? Or you think something shady is going on? If they stole the title and registered in their name I can't do anything correct?

mrz28M6
09-05-2008, 04:41 PM
well didnt the idiot fill in his info on the title when u sold it to him?? i always make sure they atleast do that. i would also tell him to paypal you some money for the title and your time and gas. lol

Irish
09-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Sounds like BS to me.

xxsn0blindxx
09-05-2008, 04:50 PM
I would tell him to have the detective he's working with call you.

ThatWhiteCivic
09-05-2008, 04:54 PM
well didnt the idiot fill in his info on the title when u sold it to him?? i always make sure they atleast do that. i would also tell him to paypal you some money for the title and your time and gas. lol

Not sure if he filled out the title. If I do decide to get him a replacement you better believe I'm getting some extra money. Let's see about 8.00 for gas, my time at the DMV appox. 2 hours at about $30/per hour and the cost of the title + Robert's tax 11.9% :goof

HRSEPLA
09-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Call and report it stolen from you:thumbsup

Troutman
09-05-2008, 05:00 PM
if someone stole the seats, then came back and stole the car, chances are its just a shell sitting in a field right now.

did he ever get the car registered? if not, then its still your car, if he did, tell him to take his ass to the DMV, try to request another one, and wait 3 months.

ThatWhiteCivic
09-05-2008, 05:04 PM
on the phone with the CPD right now

Darrell
09-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Sounds like a shady story to me. I wouldn't get involved. The last thing you need is to be charged with being a party to a crime. Its not your fault he is a dumb ass and didn't register the car right away.

ThatWhiteCivic
09-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Sounds like a shady story to me. I wouldn't get involved. The last thing you need is to be charged with being a party to a crime. Its not your fault he is a dumb ass and didn't register the car right away.

that's true.
He calls me and:
I just got off the phone with Chicago Police Department. Or what she says, I have no way of verifying it. Anyways she asked for the VIN number several times and I gave it to her, my name, and DOB. Runs the VIN says it doesn't come up and if I'm reading the VIN off correctly. a bunch of BS about breaking her POS computer then one of us looses connection. No call back for 15 mins now.

Hummmmmm... I think I should ignore if he calls back. FIBs always messing something up.

Irish
09-05-2008, 05:33 PM
that's true.
He calls me and:
I just got off the phone with Chicago Police Department. Or what she says, I have no way of verifying it. Anyways she asked for the VIN number several times and I gave it to her, my name, and DOB. Runs the VIN says it doesn't come up and if I'm reading the VIN off correctly. a bunch of BS about breaking her POS computer then one of us looses connection. No call back for 15 mins now.

Hummmmmm... I think I should ignore if he calls back. FIBs always messing something up.

I would just ask for the Officer's name handling the case. That way you can call to verify. I would also tell the person that after the car was sold and they took delivery, you have no obligation to them or the vehicle in question.

ThatWhiteCivic
09-05-2008, 05:41 PM
yeah I think I'll do that.

thanks Josh

Irish
09-05-2008, 05:42 PM
yeah I think I'll do that.

thanks Josh

Anytime!:D

Russ Jerome
09-05-2008, 06:03 PM
I would tell him to have the detective he's working with call you.

Thats such a smart idea....wish I had thought of
it first!!!! Joe=1, throbbing brain=0.

"oh my car got broken into...no wait its missing now.."
Im calling 100% BS, he tried to sell it to someone and
now all scribled on he wants you to take care of it.

fivonut
09-05-2008, 07:59 PM
There's no real harm in getting him a replacement title, just make him pay for your time like you said.