PDA

View Full Version : I have Death Magnetic

T-Bag
09-04-2008, 06:48 PM
I will let you all know how it is...listening to Unforgiven III right now sounding promising :headbang

Syclone0044
09-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the head's up. It's all over youtube, but tough to determine which is genuine and which is horseshit.

T-Bag
09-04-2008, 07:21 PM
I'm not listening to it on youtube :) I've got the real shit

T-Bag
09-04-2008, 07:42 PM
This is actually a pretty good album, not on epic proportions as Master of Puppets by any means but I would definitely pick it up when it comes out!

fivonut
09-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Is it just me or does Hetfield's voice sound like shit on this album??

Syclone0044
09-05-2008, 12:58 AM
I like "All Nightmare Long", "That Was Just Your Life", "The End of the Line", "Suicide & Redemption", and "Broken, Beat & Scarred". Cyanide is OK too.

I'm surprised how heavy this stuff is, and how long they are. The shortest track is 5:01 and the 2nd shortest is 6:25. Longest is 9:57.

Good guitar solos, reminiscent of their old stuff.

I also cant believe how overwhelmingly positive the comments online are. Usually there will be a large group of haters no matter what, but not this time.

T-Bag
09-05-2008, 06:35 AM
Is it just me or does Hetfield's voice sound like shit on this album??

I don't get what you mean like shit, because his vocals have improved tenfold. Just because he doesn't have that old blaring metal voice doesn't mean his vocals sound like shit.

Unless that's what you're looking for.

Also I agree on the guitar solos and longer tracks, it brings you back to the old days.

Good album :headbang

Rocket Power
09-05-2008, 07:03 AM
I've only heard the single they've been playing on the radio, which reminds me of the same crap they've been peddling the last 15 years.

Karps TA
09-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Don't get more metal then these guys lol

http://i36.tinypic.com/wjt6l3.jpg

wikked
09-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Don't get more metal then these guys lol

http://i36.tinypic.com/wjt6l3.jpg

omfg :rolf

fivonut
09-05-2008, 01:38 PM
I don't get what you mean like shit, because his vocals have improved tenfold. Just because he doesn't have that old blaring metal voice doesn't mean his vocals sound like shit.

Unless that's what you're looking for.

Also I agree on the guitar solos and longer tracks, it brings you back to the old days.

Good album :headbang

Yeh, I should have clarified, he sings just fine, although I do prefer the old sound (that's what I grew up on). But, he physically can't sing like that anymore. What I meant was that the lyrics don't "flow" with the music like they used to. It just doesn't sound right, almost forced, like he had something to say and tried to make it fit the music instead of letting the music inspire the lyrics.

Beagle
09-05-2008, 03:15 PM
they were playing some of the songs on the hog last night. wasnt to bad.

Lash
09-05-2008, 05:46 PM
I've only heard the single they've been playing on the radio, which reminds me of the same crap they've been peddling the last 15 years.

Werd!

I don't like any fo their new stuff.

Syclone0044
09-08-2008, 04:24 PM
OK after listening to this stuff for a few days, I REALLY like track #5: "All Nightmare Long"!!

It's an 8 minute song, but after 4:30 it's just one big JAMFEST! :headbang The fast part starting at 6:15 is what really gets me goin'... :rockwoot:

Hard to deny the similarities to their old stuff.. It's been a while since Metallica had songs so long and "radio un-friendly".

I also noticed Death Magnetic is classified "Thrash Metal" :headbang:headbang:headbang

Finally, this album was produced by Rick Rubin who also did the notorious 1986 Slayer release "Reign In Blood" (among many others). I say this is a welcome change from Bob Rock and the awful sound of St. Anger!

Rocket Power
09-08-2008, 10:55 PM
I've been listening to jjo at work and they've been playing some , and I stick with my original assessment. I think it sounds just as bad to me as St. Anger.
IMO their last good album was ...and justice for all.

Syclone0044
09-09-2008, 02:07 AM
What exactly do you dislike about it and prefer about And Justice For All? (Just curious if it's something specific.)

Karps TA
09-09-2008, 10:13 AM
The song they are playing on the radio I think is terrible. It sounds all over the place like everyone is playing a different song then what Hetfield is singing.

I think it's really hard for me though to take serious a band when they are trying to be all angry when they are in their 40's now and have enough money to buy and sell everyone that shows up to their concerts. What the hell are they angry about anymore? Running out of red wine with their filet mignon?

Lash
09-09-2008, 05:39 PM
The song they are playing on the radio I think is terrible. It sounds all over the place like everyone is playing a different song then what Hetfield is singing.

I think it's really hard for me though to take serious a band when they are trying to be all angry when they are in their 40's now and have enough money to buy and sell everyone that shows up to their concerts. What the hell are they angry about anymore? Running out of red wine with their filet mignon?

:rolf

Rocket Power
09-09-2008, 08:49 PM
What exactly do you dislike about it and prefer about And Justice For All? (Just curious if it's something specific.)

Just the songs in general. mostly the vocals I think but the music doesn't grab me either. I can look past things (like the politics of RATM) if I like the music. I just haven't liked anything they've put out in almost 20 years.

I was at the And justice for all show at Alpine and got hit with some sod, that was the last show of theirs I felt like going to.
The black album was ok, but got SO overplayed back in the early 90's I got sick of it and pretty much still am.

Rocket Power
09-09-2008, 08:50 PM

That's some funny shit right there

Reverend Cooper
09-09-2008, 09:04 PM
ALL NIGHTMARE LONG is the best song on the new cd. I love me some xm channel 51 all metallica channel

MoCkiN U
09-11-2008, 11:58 AM
I have listened to "all nightmare long" a couple of times now and the freakin tempos are all over the place. Sounds like a massive thrash session on the guitar and drums and nothing really flowing together the whole song. It starts out like there is a plan then this tom drum picks up out of no where at the 18 second point "TUM TUM, TUM TUM TUM" Then a HUGE SMASH FEST on the guitar that didnt flow with either themes just setup on the intro. 1:20 in the song changes yet again followed by another change at 1:40

Figure out what you want in a song and play it. Sounds to me like 4 songs together. Gotta hear more to buy it. Meanwhile I'll jam to master of puppets until then

Syclone0044
09-11-2008, 02:13 PM
I really like your analysis!! I listened to it and you're right about the fast changes, but I listen to a lot of Sevendust and they also have a lot of fast changes; so I'm used to it.

fivonut
09-11-2008, 09:08 PM
ALL NIGHTMARE LONG is the best song on the new cd. I love me some xm channel 51 all metallica channel

This one I like!!!

Reverend Cooper
09-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Also the song JUDAS kicks ass

MoCkiN U
09-18-2008, 06:43 PM
I just watch a 8 minute video for a song "the day that never comes" and I liked everything about the song except the damn drumming by Lars. He starts the song off so freakin off beat of what they are doing in the riffs and it just bugs. See if you feel the same?

http://www.wwe.com/content/media/video/vms/nomercy/2008/september15-21/8112416?zone=_index

or go to wwe.com and click the metallica logo if that doesnt work