PDA

View Full Version : New EPA Standards for 2010 mean Cats for lawn mowers, boats, garden equipment

Syclone0044
09-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Well this pretty much sucks.

EPA Tightens Standards For Non-Vehicle Exhaust Emissions
9/4/2008

By Siobhan Hughes Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
ST. PAUL, MINN. (Dow Jones)--The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency on Thursday issued long-awaited rules aimed at reducing pollution from lawn mowers, speed boats and other garden and marine equipment.

The agency estimated that the new standards would save about 190 million gallons of gasoline a year and improve public health by lowering the release of emissions such as nitrogen oxide into the atmosphere. The rules will take effect in 2010 and 2011.

"EPA's new small engine standards will allow Americans to cut air pollution as well as grass," EPA Administrator Stephen Johnson said in a statement. "These standards help fight smog in our neighborhoods and waterways as we continue to improve the environmental landscape."

The EPA said that manufacturers would likely for the first time use catalytic converters in many small types of watercraft and in lawn and garden equipment. The EPA said it determined that the strategy was feasible and safe.

The new small-engine rules have been long-awaited by environmentalists, who see the standards as an instance of tough regulation by the Bush administration's EPA. The EPA issued the new standards in the last four months of the Bush administration, which has been attacked by environmentalists who say that the agency hasn't done enough to curb pollution. The EPA estimates the annual costs to implement the standards would be $236 million, when fuel savings are included in the calculations.

I wonder what all this smog equipment is going to do to retail prices, power output, and repair costs? Obviously the $236 million ultimately comes right out of consumers & taxpayers pocketbooks.

jbiscuit
09-04-2008, 03:59 PM
your $80 gas weedwacker will now be $120.....

Car Guy
09-04-2008, 04:05 PM
It was inevitable, but this news also makes me curious about the ban on 2-cylce engines. I thought that it was supposed to take effect the same time.....

Karps TA
09-04-2008, 05:29 PM
I'd expect a bigger increase then $40. Especially if the commodity pricing continues to rise. Cats use plenty of precious metals in them making them expensive.

It'll certainly hurt us at Briggs in the future. Although smart people will buy equipment before that date. So we might end up with higher demand in the near future.

And you can thank the fruits and nuts in Cali for this.

ND4SPD
09-04-2008, 08:19 PM
So are we going to have to drive our lawn mowers and weed whackers to the emissions testing stations?

Why the hell are they doing that anyway... don't they realize that catalytic converters cause more CO2 to be produced?:goof

GTSLOW
09-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Unbelievable :wtf

lordairgtar
09-04-2008, 11:12 PM
What would happen if these companies that produce small engines just tell the EPA to phuck off.

Car Guy
09-04-2008, 11:19 PM
Are you serious...??? Try NOT paying your taxes and see what happens, in a nutshell you don't mess with the gov't.....

70 cutlass 442
09-04-2008, 11:31 PM
So are we going to have to drive our lawn mowers and weed whackers to the emissions testing stations?

only if they were made after 2002, or are primarily used to cut the grass in SE wisconsin :rolf

Memphis
09-05-2008, 10:39 AM
What I keep my lawn mower up north?:goof

CobraSnake
09-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Are you serious...??? Try NOT paying your taxes and see what happens, in a nutshell you don't mess with the gov't.....

thats because the gov't is like the fricken mafia. Does everyone know that there is NO LAW that states we have to pay income taxes?? Well there isn't, yet if you don't pay your income taxes then you are SCREWED!!!! I love the country yet hate ALOT of people that run it. I'm moving or i'm getting my job to pay me under the table.

Mark

BAD LS1
09-05-2008, 10:50 AM
For CA, on anyhting under 225ccs we have to produce engines with complete vapor recovery systems with charcoal filled gas caps that are tethered, flourinated fuel tanks, low perm fuel line etc... Now if the EPA adopts the FULL program that CARB has in place, then yes this vapor control shit will trickle into the rest of the 49 state engines. Right now most mfgs are lobbying with the EPA to try to NOT adopt 100% of the CARB rules. Our engines are clean enough or we use points on dirty ones to not have to use cats yet. We do have some cat equipped mufflers sold into europe though.

jbiscuit
09-05-2008, 10:52 AM
cats?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/160/387667598_ea86c93d81.jpg

4eyedstang
09-05-2008, 11:16 AM
i wonder how much a 4 stroke string trimmer will weight with all that emission crap on it .
i better start working out

BAD LS1
09-05-2008, 11:29 AM
i wonder how much a 4 stroke string trimmer will weight with all that emission crap on it .
i better start working out

Those are exempt from the major SMOG equipment, being its handheld.

DocDave
09-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Why are we bothering with pollution control! India and China are just going to melt the sky away anyway.

ND4SPD
09-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Some day even the cows will have to have catalytic converters cybernetically attached to their asses. They produce more greenhouse gas than all the cars and IC engines on the planet combined.

Syclone0044
09-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Some day even the cows will have to have catalytic converters cybernetically attached to their asses. They produce more greenhouse gas than all the cars and IC engines on the planet combined. Don't forget about one of the all time heavyweight champions of toxic emissions..... volcanos.

Feature Pony
09-05-2008, 09:30 PM
My buddy in CA just got nailed for running farmers disel, there was a car parked on the on ramp of the freeway with sniffers and they nailed him, he got fined pretty good and they took his gas!! So I guess thats what the government will probably be doing, driving around with sniffers and if your lawn mower isn't up to par they will probably take it.

Al
09-05-2008, 11:24 PM
Toyota announces the development of a new hybrid leaf blower!!!

lordairgtar
09-06-2008, 01:37 AM
But if EVERYONE did it, what could they do.

Car Guy
09-06-2008, 07:13 AM
Would never happen, there's WAY too much $$$ being made for everyone to tell the gov't to screw off.....

UnderPSI
09-06-2008, 10:13 AM
I need to jump on the market and start selling cat delete pipes for simplicity's.