PDA

View Full Version : Computer geeeeks ENTER HERE to help!

SlowStee
08-31-2008, 03:51 PM
woke up to a frozen computer the other day, and now it keeps freezing every time I try to use it. No error messages, 99% sure its not a virus, and it wont freeze up if I don't do anything on it. The second I try to open a web page like YouTube or Facebook or open a program, the computer completely freezes and usually restarts itself.

I'm not real computer part/program smart.. Any Ideas what could be up?

I tried cleaning the computer already, air dusted the entiiiire thing.

ND4SPD
08-31-2008, 04:22 PM
Could be failing memory or a bad sector on the hard drive. How old is the computer, what brand, etc...? Also if you can get ahold of a "Ultimate Boot CD" you can run diagnostics on both your hard drive and memory. I could take a look at it for you, but I charge for that... PM me if you want.

theavenger333
08-31-2008, 11:53 PM
this the machine i sold you? or is that your mom's. i forget what all i've sold you

SlowStee
09-01-2008, 03:08 AM
this the machine i sold you? or is that your mom's. i forget what all i've sold you

No, I'm on hers right now. It's the one I bought from Brandon off here awhile ago.

Silver86
09-01-2008, 05:09 AM
it could be a whole bunch of different things... from overheating, to what was listed above... it could even be that the power supply is on it way out.

tbarsch
09-01-2008, 07:58 AM
...or even xp sp3. Any idea if you have automatic updates turned on? and when/if you got sp3?

Just a thought...

ND4SPD
09-01-2008, 12:10 PM
If the computer was overheating it should shut off completely. Overheating computers usually don't reset, though the fact that it's fine until you actually do something with it could lead you to think that. Flaky memory, bad sector on the hard drive in a device driver area, or just having the wrong files get corrupted can cause a computer to do this. It could also be a flaky power supply. Without doing any real troubleshooting or diagnostics, all of this is just a shot in the dark.

SlowStee
09-23-2008, 12:06 AM
Guessing I need a new mother board, and have NO IDEA where to begin. Anyone willing to take on the job??

ND4SPD
09-23-2008, 07:54 AM
I'll take it on. I've seen much worse. I have one of these buggers to help with the hardware diagnostics.

http://www.uxd.com/phdpci2.shtml

Expensive little bugger... but no software-based solution comes close to it as far as diagnosing motherboard issues.

T-Bag
09-23-2008, 07:58 AM
New computers are cheap....you're better off just getting a new one and tossing your old hard drive in as a slave drive so you don't lose all your shit.

ZoomZoom
09-23-2008, 09:21 AM
I would suggest looking at your cookies settings, If they are set too low it allows for your browser to sometimes do things as it wishes.
I would also open up your tower, just remove the outside cover and make sure nothing has come undone or is loose, you would be surprised how often this actually happens.
Good Luck.

SlowStee
09-23-2008, 12:21 PM
the computer does not boot up at all. It turns out but no picture, and no boot. Do I really wanna spend a few hundred on another new computer when this one has plenty of good parts? :(

Syclone0044
09-23-2008, 12:28 PM
I'll take it on. I've seen much worse. I have one of these buggers to help with the hardware diagnostics.

http://www.uxd.com/phdpci2.shtml
Whoa, that's an impressive piece of hardware. :stare Will you update this thread with what you find? Or what has it told you in the past with other "dead motherboards" you've diagnosed?

Expensive little bugger... but no software-based solution comes close to it as far as diagnosing motherboard issues. Yeah it must be, they don't even list a price on their website. Call for quote usually = "If you have to ask, you cant afford it" :goof

ND4SPD
09-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Yeah, they cost about $1000. I got tired of having to tell customers their motherboard was shot and not be able to tell them what on the motherboard had blown up. Most of the time it doesn't really matter because either way you're not desoldering chips and soldering new ones back in, but it makes it FAR less of a hassle when you deal with RMAs because you can tell them exactly what's wrong with it and a lot of times it saves on their bench time so you get a replacement faster. However... certain failures on the motherboard can point to external issues that need to be addressed before you put a new motherboard in (and blow that one up too). This card allows you to boot up even a dead motherboard Most of the time anyway. Yes, there are some mobos it won't work with unless you get a jump ROM for it. There are cheaper solutions like POST cards and so forth, but if the MB is dead... those won't help you. They also don't help if the problem isn't reported during the POST.

Whoa, that's an impressive piece of hardware. Will you update this thread with what you find?

Diva has to agree to let me work on it first.

CobraSnake
09-23-2008, 01:54 PM
My computer has been acting funny lately as well. When I play Counter Strike sometimes it will just reboot for no reason. Also it sometimes lags to where its not responding and I have to end task. Anyone have any idea what that could be???

Mark

SlowStee
09-23-2008, 02:06 PM
Yeah, they cost about $1000. I got tired of having to tell customers their motherboard was shot and not be able to tell them what on the motherboard had blown up. Most of the time it doesn't really matter because either way you're not desoldering chips and soldering new ones back in, but it makes it FAR less of a hassle when you deal with RMAs because you can tell them exactly what's wrong with it and a lot of times it saves on their bench time so you get a replacement faster. However... certain failures on the motherboard can point to external issues that need to be addressed before you put a new motherboard in (and blow that one up too). This card allows you to boot up even a dead motherboard Most of the time anyway. Yes, there are some mobos it won't work with unless you get a jump ROM for it. There are cheaper solutions like POST cards and so forth, but if the MB is dead... those won't help you. They also don't help if the problem isn't reported during the POST.

Diva has to agree to let me work on it first.

as long as you're not gonna dominate my wallet, by all means!

ND4SPD
09-23-2008, 02:31 PM
I do less damage than Best Buy 99% of the time. :D

wikked
09-23-2008, 08:07 PM
My computer has been acting funny lately as well. When I play Counter Strike sometimes it will just reboot for no reason. Also it sometimes lags to where its not responding and I have to end task. Anyone have any idea what that could be???

Mark

video card/overheating video card

ND4SPD
09-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Also could be failing memory... or you don't have enough RAM and the computer is trying to compensate with hard drive space.

SlowStee
10-15-2008, 09:28 AM
aaaand Im finally back with a computer..:) Motherboard had to be replaced.