PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Who wears their gear and what type of bike?

pOrk
08-31-2008, 09:08 AM
The HD threads got me thinking, lets make a poll and see who is most likely to wear gear between the SPORT and CRUISER riders on BCM. Do you wear a helmet, gloves, jacket, and boots everytime you ride the bike?

pOrk
08-31-2008, 09:10 AM
I normally ride sport bikes, and I wear full gear every time.

RanJer
08-31-2008, 10:17 AM
If I ride, it's a sportbike. Usually full gear everytime. At minimum: brain bucket, gloves, jeans and some sort of decent boot/shoes. Sometimes it's just a little warm in my Astars jacket. I need a summer one but I gotta get a bike first.

T-Bag
08-31-2008, 11:19 AM
Usually fully gear besides riding pants....jacket, jeans, gloves, helmet, boots I do get caught not wearing a jacket sometimes though. I have had times where a I have taken a girl for a ride and given her the helmet leaving me exposed, but I generally feel naked without one.

PonyKiller87
08-31-2008, 11:56 AM
Not sure what you would concider my bike? cruiser / touring? I wear helmet, jacket, gloves and jeans everytime.

whitepony
08-31-2008, 01:13 PM
I don't have a bike. But, you should ALWAYS wear a helmet! I'm pro helmet. My parents were in a big accident a few years back. I have helmets to thank for them being here still today...

WickedSix
08-31-2008, 05:22 PM
helmet, jacket, gloves, full jeans, but I sometimes wear sneakers instead of boots. I have riding pants as well but they are hot as hell!!

so I considered that full gear in my vote

this my time to go stuff is BS it may not be your time to go but when you are horribly disfigured when your face grinds against the pavement for a couple hundred feet you might reconsider that sentiment.

but drinking and riding is supremely more moronic than not wearing your gear...and the combination of both....well enjoy whatever hospital they put you back together in...

/rant

1loudrex
08-31-2008, 09:05 PM
im always on a sportbike, im usually wearing a helmet gloves and jeans and shoes. I need to get a textile so im not in a sauna everytime i ride.

Breecher_7
09-01-2008, 06:35 AM
Minimum of a Helmet, Gloves and some sort of tall boot.

I have no compassion for people that ride without gear. If you **** yourself up I could care less.

Memphis
09-01-2008, 08:43 PM
helmet, jacket, gloves, full jeans, but I sometimes wear sneakers instead of boots. I have riding pants as well but they are hot as hell!!

so I considered that full gear in my vote

this my time to go stuff is BS it may not be your time to go but when you are horribly disfigured when your face grinds against the pavement for a couple hundred feet you might reconsider that sentiment.

but drinking and riding is supremely more moronic than not wearing your gear...and the combination of both....well enjoy whatever hospital they put you back together in...

/rant

So its riders choice as long as its what you think is right? Even if a rider 'always' wears a helmet, many times its a half helmet, hows that protect your face? And if someone...anyone believes in its your time, so be it. How does that mentality affect you in ANY way?

and for the record, I NEVER drink and ride...or drive...or bicycle either for that matter! Thats assinign.

And as Pork already pointed out for me, I do not wear gear around town. I will wear a helmet if I'm on a long trip (yeah, I know it can happen in town too, I dont need to hear it) so IF I crash, PLEASE by all means Breecher dont feel sorry for me.:loser

BTW, I'm sure everyone who replies to this thread will be the gear wearers and I'm also sure you all wear a seat belt EVERY time you get into a car too right?

Wearing gear is fine and I have nothing against it or anyone who does, I probably should (as I've mentioned previously) but to put me or anyone down who doesnt? Freedom of choice goes both ways...

WickedSix
09-01-2008, 11:30 PM
^^^ I do wear my seatbelt everywhere I go...its like a law or something :thumbsup

I've known two people who died because they weren't wearing gear ...... I understand its a personal choice and to many it would sound like i'm on a crusade about this. Everybody makes mistakes and takes chances especially members of this forum. If someone chooses to forfeit the life that they were given by not wearing a helmet sobeit it was given to them to do with what they will. I just don't need to see another friend die on the side of the road so I won't be riding with someone not in their gear.

pOrk
09-01-2008, 11:53 PM
So its riders choice as long as its what you think is right? Even if a rider 'always' wears a helmet, many times its a half helmet, hows that protect your face? And if someone...anyone believes in its your time, so be it. How does that mentality affect you in ANY way?

and for the record, I NEVER drink and ride...or drive...or bicycle either for that matter! Thats assinign.

And as Pork already pointed out for me, I do not wear gear around town. I will wear a helmet if I'm on a long trip (yeah, I know it can happen in town too, I dont need to hear it) so IF I crash, PLEASE by all means Breecher dont feel sorry for me.:loser

BTW, I'm sure everyone who replies to this thread will be the gear wearers and I'm also sure you all wear a seat belt EVERY time you get into a car too right?

Wearing gear is fine and I have nothing against it or anyone who does, I probably should (as I've mentioned previously) but to put me or anyone down who doesnt? Freedom of choice goes both ways...

Your still pissed that I said you didn't wear gear? If you did and I said you didn't, that's another story. I thought we were cooler then that, but whatever.

I wear my seat belt every time I hop in the car, and so does everyone that rides in my vehicle.

Junky Giorgio
09-02-2008, 01:11 AM
After road racing in CCS and knowing what it feels like to hit pavement @ 70mph, I wear my helmet and jacket every time I get on my bike. If i'm going out on a long ride, my race boots and gloves are on as well. My new street bike is an '02 GSXR 6oo btw.

Want_Notch
09-02-2008, 02:45 PM
I have a crusier. I were gear everytime.
Helmet, gloves, jacket, jeans and boots.

I however don't look down on those who don't. Its there choice. To each there own.

0TransAm0
09-02-2008, 03:10 PM
when i do ride it helmet every time. i no longer have a bike but when i ride my brothers i always were his helmet. and i also were gloves other than that just t-shirt or light coat and jeans with some decent anke high boots

Breecher_7
09-02-2008, 06:03 PM
I always do wear my seatbelt actually. Its habbit.... Im sorry I care about my safety. I managed to live through some serious shit, im not going to die now because of somthign that could be prevented.

lilws6
09-02-2008, 06:45 PM
My minimum is helmet and gloves. usually i wear the sniper jacket i always have jeans on and most of the time i wear my high heel tennies cuz there comfortable to ride in. just cut my helmet is blue and doesn't match the bike no more i still wear it even if i look dumb. on a side note i need a new pair of gloves any suggestions on brands i got a stars now and there worn out in one season????

michelle
09-02-2008, 07:44 PM
I am just a rider on Adam's '78 Kawasaki 650SR, but I always wear my helmet. I need to get better about wearing the rest of the gear though. I'm always wearing long sleeves and for the most part pants (or capri's), but sometimes I grab flip-flops instead of tennis shoes and that's not too good.

Adam drives his bike every day to work and back and wears his helmet, leather jacket, pants, boots, and gloves when the temperature is chilly. I'm glad I don't have to push for him to wear that stuff either. (:

Memphis
09-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Your still pissed that I said you didn't wear gear? If you did and I said you didn't, that's another story. I thought we were cooler then that, but whatever.

I wear my seat belt every time I hop in the car, and so does everyone that rides in my vehicle.

I'm not pissed at you, sorry didnt mean it that way, we're cool. Gear is good, dont get me wrong. I always wear jeans and work boots, I just dont wear the helmet as I should. Just choice, nothing against anyone else wanting to be safe. I wish I had the discipline to do it more often. And I respect your choice to not ride with me without gear, maybe someday I'll be more safety concious.

-stew-
09-03-2008, 01:46 PM
I gear up. My bike is on the line between a sportbike and a standard.

cheap80Z28
09-04-2008, 01:36 AM
always boots and jeans, helmet on most long trips so the misses and I can talk on the comm headsets, and is in the tour pack for riders if need be

Al
09-05-2008, 12:14 AM
Where is "I wear my helmet and other gear most of the time."

tbarsch
09-05-2008, 09:46 AM
I second that... 2006 VMax...

Where is "I wear my helmet and other gear most of the time."

Josepy
09-25-2008, 12:45 PM
I am the dumb one in the bunch. I where boot and gloves. Thats it no helmet on the chopper. When i had sportbikes full gear. I rhode a lot faster and harder when I had them.

forest
09-25-2008, 12:52 PM
where is the 'if I know Im getting rowdy or go more than 5miles I wear a helmet' option

drrodder
10-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Out on my HD:
Local ride around town: Eye wear, boots and -T-shirt (cool days a sweat shirt).
Longer ride-freeways and state highways: helmet, boots and leather jacket if cold only.
HD 105th; Same as local ride.
Can't be cool looking in full wear, but then again no crazy riding like 1-wheel, speeding or hot dogging.

PS: I watched a couple kids on sport bikes dive into the back of a non-moving SUV (60+mph) while show boating on Brookfield Rd. north of Capital over the Labor Day weekend. Dump stunts caused the crash and no amount of gear was going save those guys, just minimize the road rash.

WI_Dave
03-20-2009, 09:42 AM
I always wear my helmet and jeans. (open face) Not the safest helmet but its the one I am most comfortable wearing. Coat and gloves are depending on weather. Cruiser bike - Yamaha Roadstar Silverado 1600cc

SSLEVO
03-20-2009, 01:50 PM
If i'm cruising around town i usally don't wear my helmet/ gear. If i want to go out and "ride" it's: helmet, leather jacket, gloves and riding boots, all high quality stuff. I've been down before at speed when i had my gear on and i'm glad it did its job, its just not worth it for me to get it all on to go 3 miles to work or 2 miles to the gym when its 80 degrees. Call it stupid but it is what it is. I ride a 99' R6.

civic600
03-22-2009, 06:37 PM
honestly for the most part i dont wear a helmet. i hate the discomfort and fact i cant see around myself as much. if its cooler outside ill wear one but other than that i usually wear at least a jacket and gloves

Breecher_7
03-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Thats Great, Im sure some more intelligent people will enjoy your organs and tissue when your heads are smashed all over the pavement...

I laugh my ass off when I see guys or girls for that matter wearing gloves, jackets, boots but no helmet... WTF is the point? Your skin isnt going to do you any good if your brain is on the pavement.

I NEVER get on a bike without a helmet or Gloves, period...... If your helmet is uncomfortable, get a better one.

Keep it up though, I may need a kidney soon anyways......

pOrk
03-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Thats Great, Im sure some more intelligent people will enjoy your organs and tissue when your heads are smashed all over the pavement...

I laugh my ass off when I see guys or girls for that matter wearing gloves, jackets, boots but no helmet... WTF is the point? Your skin isnt going to do you any good if your brain is on the pavement.

I NEVER get on a bike without a helmet or Gloves, period...... If your helmet is uncomfortable, get a better one.

Keep it up though, I may need a kidney soon anyways......

False, you rode my gsxr 1000 w/o a helmet 2 summers ago. :thumbsup

Breecher_7
03-22-2009, 08:05 PM
False, you rode my gsxr 1000 w/o a helmet 2 summers ago. :thumbsup

I KNEW that was going to come back and bite me in the ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolf

One damn time!!!!

SSLEVO
03-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Its a personal choice like smoking or drinking, do those enough and they will kill you too. We all know the risks, no need to lecture man.

Cutlass Queen
03-23-2009, 06:35 PM
I wear a helmet every time now. I'll be the first to admit that at times I haven't in the past but I'm getting better with wearing it ALL the time now.

Bike is an 02 Ninja ZX6R

civic600
03-24-2009, 06:17 PM
its a personal choice like smoking or drinking, do those enough and they will kill you too. We all know the risks, no need to lecture man.

x2

Breecher_7
03-24-2009, 08:44 PM
:rolf
Dont forget to check that organ donor box...

civic600
03-25-2009, 08:58 PM
i could give 2 shits what u think. this was a poll thread not a lecture. good job on ruining it tho. :chair:

Breecher_7
03-26-2009, 05:39 AM
i could give 2 shits what u think. this was a poll thread not a lecture. good job on ruining it tho. :chair:

Atleast were on the same page there..... :thumbsup

SSLEVO
03-29-2009, 10:43 PM
If i really want to rock out...

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee294/zx1216/R6deagracing002.jpg

Haha, i rode around my college town a couple times like that, got some funny looks, she propels my fat ass to about 55, on flat ground, LOL

On the R6 drag racing at rock falls in Eau Claire...

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee294/zx1216/R6deagracing007.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee294/zx1216/NewpicsofNickJ9-18-07001.jpg

GR8COM
06-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Helmet all the time usually a hooded sweatshirt for riding around town. If I am going above 35mph then its the jacket and gloves. Gloves depend on the weather for me. Oh I have an 09 Sporty 883

Graystone
06-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Helmet, jacket and gloves all the time. I rode with out the helmet once and didn't feel right.

Bike 04 R6

VroomPshhTsi
06-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Helmet and gloves every time, jacket 8/10 times...

Bike = '02 Ninja 500R

pOrk
06-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Pedal bikes, helmet and gloves mostly every time. Never a jacket :)

pnad
03-31-2010, 04:22 PM
Helmet, jacket, gloves, work boots and jeans all the time.

99 Kawi Vulcan 800

kornholio788
03-31-2010, 04:35 PM
Helmet, jacket, riding boots, and gloves ever time. No accept ions.

94 Honda cbr600 F2

RanJer
03-31-2010, 05:00 PM
Helmet, jacket, riding boots, and gloves ever time. No accept ions.

94 Honda cbr600 F2

Didn't see any "riding boots" today...???

kornholio788
03-31-2010, 05:09 PM
I had my work boots on when we went to lunch(steel toes, just as good) and before I left I put my riding boots on. I left my work boots in a locker yesterday so I could easily swap them out when I left.

Rocket Power
03-31-2010, 05:26 PM
Always a helmet, and normally my jacket with the armor in it and boots.

Crawlin
04-01-2010, 07:37 AM
Since this is back at the top.

Helmet everytime, gloves everytime, jacket everytime, boots everytime, riding jeans everytime, those track pants if I'm going to the track(duh, haha)

Helmet especially since it's part of insurance protocol if I want to take one of the Harley's out from work.

MoCkiN U
04-01-2010, 06:21 PM
New to it all of course but even the few times I have been out so far its been helmet, jacket, gloves, riding pants and icon knee pads.

Just dont like the knee protection thats in some of those pants so buy an overpant style and wear the knee pads with them. Take em off when I get somehwere in which I'll be a while but like the protection. Fit good under my jeans too.

VroomPshhTsi
04-01-2010, 07:15 PM
New to it all of course but even the few times I have been out so far its been helmet, jacket, gloves, riding pants and icon knee pads.

Just dont like the knee protection thats in some of those pants so buy an overpant style and wear the knee pads with them. Take em off when I get somehwere in which I'll be a while but like the protection. Fit good under my jeans too.

Good call, knee protection is the most overlooked kind of gear IMO. I have a scar on my right knee that reminds me of this.

88Nightmare
04-28-2010, 02:21 AM
On my FZ (sport/touring bike) I always wear my full faced helmet, jacket with shoulder and elbow/arm pads, and gloves with knuckle pads. Jeans and steel toe boots that cover my ankles. Got the bike a little over a week ago, already up to about 600mi and I can honestly say I have never ridden without everything I just listed, and I plan to keep it that way in the future.

A good buddy of mine rides frequently, and his dad has been riding for nearly 20 years. He always told me: "You don't dress for the ride... you dress for the crash"

Crawlin
04-28-2010, 06:36 AM
that's good Mikey! but damn 600 miles??? haah. I had that total for a whole year on my '06 600, hahaha.

RanJer
04-28-2010, 09:03 AM
that's good Mikey! but damn 600 miles??? haah. I had that total for a whole year on my '06 600, hahaha.

I've got about 1200 on the TLR so far this year... Just since the last week of March :thumbsup

Crawlin
04-28-2010, 10:31 AM
DAMN!!! I'm just happy with the 100 on the busa so far, hahah

Exitspeed
04-28-2010, 10:52 AM
A good buddy of mine rides frequently, and his dad has been riding for nearly 20 years. He always told me: "You don't dress for the ride... you dress for the crash"

He is a wise man.

88Nightmare
04-28-2010, 11:29 PM
He is a wise man.

he is your uncle :thumbsup

88Nightmare
04-28-2010, 11:31 PM

I've been riding the shit out of that thing. Any day it hasn't rained, I've been on the bike. Just hit my break in period (600mi) so now I can do my first oil change and then start winding out the rpm's some more :thumbsup

Rocket Power
04-29-2010, 08:28 AM
http://www.newenough.com/

This place has a good rep on the GS forum I'm on. Good deals to be had, getting my kid a jacket from there.

Rocket Power
05-06-2010, 11:13 AM
:rolf:rolf:rolf

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy340/StinkyWeaselTeets6/ATGATT1.jpg

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy340/StinkyWeaselTeets6/ATGATT2.jpg

VroomPshhTsi
05-07-2010, 08:17 PM
^LOL :rolf:rolf nice

SilverHorse
05-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Helmet, coat, and gloves while on the interstate with all the morons. Weekend rides on 55 mph roads - coat and glasses.

SilverHorse
05-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Oh, and i got a fat boy!

GrimreaperSS
05-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Always full faced helmet, gloves, jeans and work boots. If its 90+ degrees out, I leave the jacket off. The only time I wont ride w/o a helmet is to go grab some lunch during work. Most lunch spots are less than 1/2 mile away. I know things can still happen and are more likely to happen in familiar places where you are most comfortable, but I just dont want to haul the helmet around with me during lunch. :chair: Passengers always wear full gear! I couldnt stand something happening to someone that had no control over the situation, where as I do. My ride - 2006 Screamin Eagle Vrod.

Rocket Power
05-12-2010, 03:07 PM
http://www.s13.com/MotivationalPosters/atgatt.jpg

Oh and I have an 85 GS700ES Harley tariff special.

Rocket Power
05-22-2010, 12:56 AM
Wear the gear cuz you never know when it could happen to you:mad: like it did to me today
At least my lunch was ok :goof
http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6959&d=1274507748
Bike vs F150, I lose

GrimreaperSS
05-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Damn that sucks!:wooo Atleast the bike can get new parts, but are you alright? What went down to cause that?

RanJer
05-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Damn Jamie that sucks... Glad you're ok, at least you seem to be.. Hope you get it back together soon. If you need a hand shoot me a PM.

Rocket Power
05-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Damn that sucks!:wooo Atleast the bike can get new parts, but are you alright? What went down to cause that?

Damn Jamie that sucks... Glad you're ok, at least you seem to be.. Hope you get it back together soon. If you need a hand shoot me a PM.
Thanks.
Yeah I'm basically OK, sore, but nothing broken except the bike.

What happened....

The F150 in the pic was turning onto 98 from greenfield I was turning onto EB Greenfield from 98 . There was traffic stopped at the light and it looked clear, what I couldn't see on the other side of the lifted Grand Cherokee and other traffic was the F150 that was coming off greenfield and onto 98th. I didn't have time to even hit the brake. I saw the grill of the truck thought "OH F***" next thing I remember I was getting up and getting out of the street before I got run over. Luckily I was only going 5 or 10mph, I have no idea how fast he was going but I assume not too fast. I have a sore left elbow and shoulder and the muscles in my back and stomach are sore. Busted the windscreen, left mirror. forks look ok, haven't checked them closely. Going to take the fairing off and check for damage to the triple clamps and neck.

All in all, it could have been ALOT worse for me. Didn't break any bones.

Of course it would've have been nice if the other guy would have bothered to have insurance:rolleyes: I only have liability on mine.

No tickets were issued to either of us. Cops were very cool, and I got to sit in an amberlamps for a bit:rolf
My bike got flatbeded home since I wasn't going to push it:rolf
http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6960&d=1274586284

I was wearing my helmet which has a small scuff on it now and my armored jacket. Somehow my watch got ripped off in the accident and took a little chunk of skin off, so I got watch-rash instead of road rash:rolf

Crawlin
05-23-2010, 09:05 AM
that sucks man! glad to hear you are alright.

this isn't pointed at anyone, but I don't get the "i'll wear a jacket, but not a helmet".

so you'll protect the stuff under your clothing, but not your face/head? I can't eat because my jaw is torn off, but atleast my biceps and chest didn't get road rash.

I just don't get it. Especially in the summer when it's 80+ outside. You'll wear a heavy leather jacket but again, not a helmet? To me, the jacket is not for safety then, it's to look "the part" more than anything.

DirtyMax
05-24-2010, 04:47 PM
I'll always wear a helmet... should be a full face but it's just a brain bucket. Yesterday was the first time I rode without a leather jacket on and I still don't know how i feel about that.

BoosTT
05-24-2010, 09:29 PM
Full gear for me, every time. My ride to work is 3 miles, but I wear boots, full gloves, jacket and full face helmet.

I can understand the brain bucket only, if I rode some slow ass 60 hp machine....

RanJer
05-24-2010, 10:54 PM
I can understand the brain bucket only, if I rode some slow ass 60 hp machine....

It's still gonna hurt just as bad when that F150 hits you, regardless of how powerful your bike is/isn't..

Rocket Power
05-24-2010, 11:00 PM
It's still gonna hurt just as bad when that F150 hits you, regardless of how powerful your bike is/isn't..
:rolf true dat

DirtyMax
05-25-2010, 10:19 AM

No shit. That was a pretty dumb comment. But if having a supa-fast high HP bike makes him feel like more of a man, hats off to ya. I'll just be putting along on my slow ass 60hp machine... :loser

lilws6
05-25-2010, 07:03 PM
DAMN!!! I'm just happy with the 100 on the busa so far, hahah

my busa has seen almost 2000 this year already i'm suprised didnt' think i rode it that much. i still really need a set of tires just don't have any money yet. my busa makes me feel manly until i give her too hard and i poo a little ;) then i feel like a baby again.

Rocket Power
05-25-2010, 07:18 PM
I was at around 600 or so on mine :goof

RanJer
05-25-2010, 10:25 PM
2600 so far as of tonight. New rear tire last Wednesday. Goooood to go

Crawlin
05-26-2010, 06:54 AM
Just passed 250 on the busa last week, haha. School/work keeps me busy as well as working on it, haha. Now with the car accident/incident I can barely lift it up off the kickstand so we will see how much more I get done. :(

SmokinRAM114
05-26-2010, 11:13 AM
I dont own a bike but I always have "rentals"

on the hog
Around town- Gloves, eye protection, ocassional leather jacket
highway- gloves, half helmet, leather jacket

"rocket"
99% of the time ill wear full face helmet, gloves

"super moto"
99% of the time im in full gear, mx helmet/googles - I CAN NEVER JUST TAKE THIS FOR A "CRUISE"