PDA

View Full Version : Thats it, Im buildn my own stuff!

Sprayaway Fox
08-31-2008, 05:05 AM
Looking at rotating assembly books. Anybody got a book title that was real helpful in assembly, for the DYI?

loud91rs
08-31-2008, 08:08 AM
I saw at barnes and nobles they had a book on how to completely rebuild a SBC and came with a how to step by step video. Looked pretty decent.

Syclone0044
09-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Yeah what engine are you looking to rebuild?

Sprayaway Fox
09-01-2008, 01:36 PM
SBC's. there are so many books on them that want to know if anybody used one and it worked out good for them

Syclone0044
09-01-2008, 01:42 PM
Yeah this book is awesome: How to Build the Smallblock Chevrolet "S-A Design Workbench Series" by Larry Schreib

I have the older edition, not sure how much changed with the revise - but it's got a lot of photos and aims be be a complete "how to" book showing you every step.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/188408995X/teamchevelle/002-0099190-8772040?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&link_code=xm2

Windsors 03 Cobra
09-01-2008, 02:04 PM
:thumbsup
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/12920000/12923260.jpg

NitrousPig
09-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Looking at rotating assembly books. Anybody got a book title that was real helpful in assembly, for the DYI?

Out of sheer curiosity...why are you looking to build your own engine? Do you have all the right tools to do so? Are you just building a street motor that doesn't require all the appropriate attention of a professional builder? Or are you just plain pissed that it cost a (in your eyes) a lot to have it done by someone that knows what they're doing?

Just a couple questions that I always ask people that are looking to do they're own. I just had this conversation the other day with one of my customers.

nismodave
09-01-2008, 02:26 PM
X10000 :thumbsup

:thumbsup
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/12920000/12923260.jpg

Reverend Cooper
09-01-2008, 03:05 PM
for mustang stuff really anuthing by Richard Holdener,not only soes he have build books bu he also has them for different combos,they give all the parts used in the different combos and there hp on the dyno

Syclone0044
09-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Hey I've been looking to get Smokey's stuff for a long time, is the above-pictured SA Design Power Secrets book "the one"? Or did Smokey author several books?

Prince Valiant
09-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Hey I've been looking to get Smokey's stuff for a long time, is the above-pictured SA Design Power Secrets book "the one"? Or did Smokey author several books?Smokey authored more books than you could shake a stick at.

Most the SA stuff are pretty good. It'll still leave some of the stuff out, so you'll want to have an experienced hand there. My first build I used an SA book, but more than once i had to bring in someone to show me tips/tricks to get better results or to make a task easier, etc.

Take for example the first SBC I helped someone with...no tutorials about adjusting rocker-arms or anything (never had too...mopars use shaft mounted rockers). Then saw the simplest trick in the world to adjusting them correctly and went with it...without the outside help, it'd taken quite a while to get it right.

Sprayaway Fox
09-01-2008, 04:24 PM
Not pissed or anything. I usually get 3-5 engines done a year. Either I take in other peoples stuff to get machined or my own stuff. Machine shop guy tells me what I need, I am there next day. I waited a year and a half for a shortblock built. and the rotating assembly was already balanced, and. Needed rings fit, and stroker clearance for 383. (Rod clearance on bottom of cyl. and bottom of block. I think that is a long time to wait. When I pay ahead of time. Plus chevs havent gone that deep with them but my ford stuff I have. So kinda want to learn how to build a SBC:) I have did top end assembly but never the rotatin assembly on a SBC

wrath
09-01-2008, 05:11 PM
The longest it ever took me to rebuild an engine was a week. I took all my stuff to Reichert Racing Engines (Bill Reichert / http://www.barsproducts.com/motorsports_brichert.htm ) in my hometown. Whether I buy or they buy the parts the total cost comes out the same -- they only charge for what they do (labor) and they buy all their stuff at the same places I would. It's his kids that do most of the shop work these days but you'll still see Bill in there once in a while welding in a sleeve in a Northstar or some other crazy crap.

Books are actually pretty worthless these days. I have a bunch I haven't looked at in six or seven years. Modern fasteners you measure by stretch not torque. Everything I can think of you can find online. For build specifics you can copy other people's. Chevy High-Performance and Car Craft are good places to get build ideas. They cover straight line, cruiser, and road-race engines from budget to beyond a year's house payment worth for many of us. For off-road (read: low-end torque but the ability to rev) stuff there isn't a lot out there but the forums are pretty good.

Unless you rebuild a lot of engines there is no reason to buy a cam bearing installation tool. I have one but to be honest... last engine I paid Reichert's to do it.

NitrousPig
09-01-2008, 05:39 PM
Not pissed or anything. I usually get 3-5 engines done a year. Either I take in other peoples stuff to get machined or my own stuff. Machine shop guy tells me what I need, I am there next day. I waited a year and a half for a shortblock built. and the rotating assembly was already balanced, and. Needed rings fit, and stroker clearance for 383. (Rod clearance on bottom of cyl. and bottom of block. I think that is a long time to wait. When I pay ahead of time. Plus chevs havent gone that deep with them but my ford stuff I have. So kinda want to learn how to build a SBC:) I have did top end assembly but never the rotatin assembly on a SBC

Thats cool. Just wondering. A year and a half is way way to long for a shortblock of any nature especially if it was paid ahead of time! Chebbbys are easy. Good luck to ya if you have any questions give me a call.

Sprayaway Fox
09-01-2008, 07:06 PM
The extra knowlege will help me down the road is more what I want, plus be able to help other people out also. Thanx everybody for the info:) I always here from different machine shops "yea its just sitting here cause the guy ran out of money" So I always pay promptly.