PDA

View Full Version : SBC Headbolt question

Sprayaway Fox
08-30-2008, 02:49 AM
Im kinda lost a lil bit. "blind headbolts" What do they mean? Thinking the ones in the rocker valley?:confused maybe I have been doing it wrong this whole time.:wow

Sprayaway Fox
08-30-2008, 03:11 AM
Dont let the mustangs fool you. I dink around with chevs too.

Syclone0044
08-30-2008, 03:20 AM
By blind head bolt don't they mean, "One that doesn't pass through oil/coolant"?

Sprayaway Fox
08-30-2008, 03:25 AM
Yeah thats the way it sounds like to me, I know this mite be a stupid question but never heard that term b4. Freeked me out.

forest
08-31-2008, 03:53 PM
By blind head bolt don't they mean, "One that doesn't pass through oil/coolant"?

kind of, its more like a head bolt hole that bottoms out in the block, if it has water or other liquid in it when you torque the head bolts, the bolt may hydrolock it the hole, giving you a torque reading, you think its torqued but its not, its just hydrolocked, the head then lifts causing a pain in the a$$.

Brian98GTP
09-01-2008, 09:40 AM
kind of, its more like a head bolt hole that bottoms out in the block, if it has water or other liquid in it when you torque the head bolts, the bolt may hydrolock it the hole, giving you a torque reading, you think its torqued but its not, its just hydrolocked, the head then lifts causing a pain in the a$$.

.... that, or you end up cracking the side of the block along the bolt path (common on LS engines).

HRSEPLA
09-01-2008, 09:54 AM
It's the deaf headbolts you have to worry about...:thumbsup