PDA

View Full Version : 09 Viper ACR runs 7.22 at the Ring

Moparjim
08-28-2008, 09:59 AM
While constantly on the rev limiter no less...

http://www.motortrend.com/av/features/112_0811_2009_dodge_viper_acr_nurburgring_record_v ideo/index.html

The Z06 and GT-R can suck it! :thumbsup

nismodave
08-28-2008, 10:01 AM
GTR is not a factory "track" car........And has 4 seats...And makes 120 less HP..:banana

Prince Valiant
08-28-2008, 10:19 AM
great vid...God that looks tough, lol.

Z You L8r
08-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Lets compare what a stock Viper does against a stock GTR and then the ACER Viper against the Evolution GTR (VSpec). The Evolution will only have two seats btw. We need to compare apples to apples.

Troutman
08-28-2008, 10:56 AM
impressive, but lets make a comparison thats more apples to apples. we're talking the top level viper against the base skyline. lets see what the Spec-V runs.
that damn rev limiter probably added 5-10 seconds to the time

^^had my reply window open too long...i pretty much made the exact same statement

xxsn0blindxx
08-28-2008, 11:52 AM
It doesn't matter, if you take a GT-R to the track it will blow up and Nissan will void your warranty.

nismodave
08-28-2008, 12:02 PM
It doesn't matter, if you take a GT-R to the track it will blow up and Nissan will void your warranty.

Same thing Ford did to Sperminator owners.:rolf

Sprayaway Fox
08-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Saweet :drool:

CobraSnake
08-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Same thing Ford did to Sperminator owners.:rolf

I don't know about that. I had a terminator that I bought up north. The car was acting funny so I took it to the dealer that I got my SVT focus worked on. I didn't even by the car there yet they replaced bushings and had to rebuild my re-end. They did this all under warranty and never even questioned if I took it to the track. Which I did and that is why the re-end was leaking. Yet they still took care of it. I guess it just the relationship I had with that perticular dealer.

Mark

Poncho
08-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Isn't the Viper dead?

Prince Valiant
08-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Isn't the Viper dead?Nope...it's replacement has been tabled/canceled. The current viper was last forecast to continue production up through 2012 iirc...however, that was due to it being replaced. Now, the current viper could see production beyond this date or until Chrysler sees fit to bring out another replacement or simply kill it altogether at some undetermined time. Nothing has been determined either way.

MoCkiN U
08-28-2008, 01:55 PM
That driver has balls of steel!!!

70challenger452
08-28-2008, 02:07 PM
sweet vid, plus I always love to hear the excusses from the import crowd!

Neal Steffek
08-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Now that is how you drive a car.

Poncho
08-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Nope...it's replacement has been tabled/canceled. The current viper was last forecast to continue production up through 2012 iirc...however, that was due to it being replaced. Now, the current viper could see production beyond this date or until Chrysler sees fit to bring out another replacement or simply kill it altogether at some undetermined time. Nothing has been determined either way.

OK, I thought maybe they like stopped production... carry on :thumbsup

nismodave
08-28-2008, 05:37 PM
sweet vid, plus I always love to hear the excusses from the import crowd!

What excuses, Dodge boy?:goof

The car IS a race prepped car with 120 more hp. What did a GTS, which compares closer to the GTR, do around the ring?

CobraSnake
08-28-2008, 05:40 PM
I thought the GTR that went around the ring had better tires and upgraded suspension??

GRAMPS SS
08-28-2008, 06:15 PM
I don't know about that. I had a terminator that I bought up north. The car was acting funny so I took it to the dealer that I got my SVT focus worked on. I didn't even by the car there yet they replaced bushings and had to rebuild my rear-end They did this all under warranty and never even questioned if I took it to the track. Which I did and that is why the re-end was leaking. Yet they still took care of it. I guess it just the realtionship i had with that perticular dealer.Mark

I don't think we want to know anymore on that one....:goof

Syclone0044
08-29-2008, 10:37 AM
Aug 27th, 2008 http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=788369

Chrysler is putting its Dodge Viper sports car business up for sale in the latest move by a U.S. automaker to shed a niche product. The No. 3 U.S.-based car company said Wednesday that it had been approached by potential buyers for the Viper unit, which Chrysler wants to sell as part of its strategy of focusing on a smaller number of core products. Analysts said the division could fetch up to $100 million. Potential buyers include East Asian and Indian automakers that have been looking to buy established brands.

Prince Valiant
08-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Makes sense...the V-10 is no longer a part of the core engine unit (as it was in the Magnum engine days or while it was used in trucks). It won't be a mopar (well, it will until the new buyer starts using wholly in-house developed engines/chasis), but it'll still be a viper. If the prospects for continuation were dim, why not get something for it versus nothing by letting it die?

We'll see if this actually happens though...

Moparjim
08-30-2008, 06:38 PM
What excuses, Dodge boy?:goof

The car IS a race prepped car with 120 more hp. What did a GTS, which compares closer to the GTR, do around the ring?

The GTR they ran was probably more of a "race-prepped" car than the ACR. The ACR just comes right off the lot. Honestly, and not to bash on imports, everything I've read about the GTR has pissed me off. It sounded like a super cool car when news started trickling out, but lately it sounds like a bunch of crap. The one they ran at the Ring to all the hype was definitely seriously race prepped to generate hype - see the other thread for all the talk/details about the GTR screw job such as instant voiding warrant, "race" setup, supe expensive parts, not to mention what like $800 tranny fluid lol.

The ACR Viper uses 4 quarts of regular ole Dextron ATF, and is a regular ole T56...

Moparjim
08-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Oh and yes, Viper is for sale - don't read too much into the latest articles - it has basically always been on the bubble much like the Vette. At this point, anything not nailed down at Chrysler is for sale unfortunately, but as far as I know theres still been no definite sale or cancellation.

nismodave
08-30-2008, 06:43 PM
I understand your thoughts, lets not consider the Ring times for a min, where the accusations of the GTR being far from stock are not proven. I think the ACR is a great Machine. But the GTR is also, expensive fluid or not. Granted the Viper is not in this test...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=6594

Bottom line is the car has reset the bar for cars in its class.:thumbsup

bread320i
08-31-2008, 08:07 AM
Even IF i was offered a ride, I would have to pass. That is scary fast.

HITMAN
09-01-2008, 03:17 AM
The Viper ACR is a true drivers car. No tricks or electronic wizardry. Just a great suspension/tires, great brakes and a ton of power to get the job done. If you suck, so will your lap times. The GTR is a Transformer robot with AWD and enough traction/stability/braking controls to make Corky from Life Goes On look like a super-star on track day.:yawn:

nismodave
09-01-2008, 09:13 AM
The Viper ACR is a true drivers car. No tricks or electronic wizardry. Just a great suspension/tires, great brakes and a ton of power to get the job done. If you suck, so will your lap times. The GTR is a Transformer robot with AWD and enough traction/stability/braking controls to make Corky from Life Goes On look like a super-star on track day.:yawn:

Fast is fast. Even If its from a Supercharged 4.6 or Turboed 2.0.:devil

Adam Brooks
09-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Look where he bounces off the rev limiter. Its right into turns. he woudnt have enough time to up shift then come back down to hit the turn.

if he did, he would post a slower time in the turn or lose the car from turning to late.

this is the best time this car will ever see on this track

Adam Brooks
09-01-2008, 01:42 PM
just noticed that was posted on the video as well. so there you go

Flicktitty
09-01-2008, 01:48 PM
The GTR they ran was probably more of a "race-prepped" car than the ACR. The ACR just comes right off the lot. Honestly, and not to bash on imports, everything I've read about the GTR has pissed me off. It sounded like a super cool car when news started trickling out, but lately it sounds like a bunch of crap. The one they ran at the Ring to all the hype was definitely seriously race prepped to generate hype - see the other thread for all the talk/details about the GTR screw job such as instant voiding warrant, "race" setup, supe expensive parts, not to mention what like $800 tranny fluid lol.

The ACR Viper uses 4 quarts of regular ole Dextron ATF, and is a regular ole T56...

so what did it (GT-R) have done to it? Aftermarket suspension? and tires? TWO Things you can buy from any tuning shop that sells stuff for the GT-R.

Would be no differant then a GTS Viper or a RT10 Viper with coilovers and sticky tires.