PDA

View Full Version : Canon announces release of new 50D

Goat Roper
08-26-2008, 08:38 AM
Real surprising considering how fresh the 40D is but the 50D looks like on hell of a machine with a decent price point. Canon must be feeling the heat from the higher model Nikons.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0808/08082605canoneos50d.asp

Those leaked EOS D50 specs on Canon's Chinese site? Real. The official announcement came today and everything tallies with what we saw on Friday. 15.1 megapixel CMOS sensor (with 1.6x crop factor), a big 3" LCD screen, Live View (for previewing images on the screen), ISO running up to 12800 (in a special, try-not-to-use-it hidden mode) and, possibly the most interesting, Canon's new image processing chip, the DIGIC 4.

In digicams, the two things which impact the picture quality (after the light has made it in through the lens) are the sensor and the image processor. The 50D is the first Canon camera to use the new DIGIC 4 chip, and it appears to be an incremental upgrade. If you have a fast enough memory card (Compact Flash) then you'll get a whopping 90 jpeg images in a single burst, at up to 6.3 fps. RAW shooters see a smaller improvement: you get 16 shots before the camera pauses for breath. The new DIGIC also includes face detection (up to 35 faces!) and in-camera vignetting controls with supported EF lenses. This last gets the rather fancy title of "Peripheral Illumination Correction".

There is also built-in sensor cleaning along with dust removal software which, in a fit of alliteration, Canon has named "Dust Delete Data Detection". Other goodies include HDMI out and nine-point autofocus.

The price for all these whizz-bang features? $1400

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/50d.jpg

wikked
08-26-2008, 10:20 AM
*want*

haha 12,800 iso... srsly?
I guess for the absolutely must have picture in a cave or dungeon :P

After not using live-view for a couple years now, I don't think I'd really need it anymore.
Would come in real handy for tripod use I guess.

I'm two Digic's behind now :(

Cryptic
08-26-2008, 10:24 AM
For sale:
1 Canon Rebel XT body

Holeshot
08-26-2008, 10:26 AM
I love photography. Would love a good digital SLR. But nothing to complicated.

TURTLE
08-26-2008, 06:14 PM
i guess i should keep my eyes open when people start selling their 40's for cheep... lol

Nick
08-27-2008, 12:21 AM
I think I'll hold the 40D for a while. I love the 1D Interface. Not sure what the DIGIC 4 Interface is going to be like.

All in all, some minor changes aside from ridiculous ISO and huge megapixel increase.

I'd take it though if I could sell my 40D for what I paid for it. :)

The vignetting and peripheral controls sound quite interesting too.

Flicktitty
08-27-2008, 12:33 AM
holy sheet.

DO WANT.

well looks like i should have it easy to find a Rebel or 40D for cheaper once this comes out.

ND4SPD
08-27-2008, 06:53 AM
:drool: Someday.... someday.