PDA

View Full Version : Part store Hospitality.

Sprayaway Fox
08-26-2008, 12:45 AM
I used to work at one (the black velcro shoe one) and this will help you get the rite part....Most of the time:rolf

1. Remember I do not know your car.
2. Dont come in mad because your car is broke
3. If doing break job, know if it is drum or disc
4. There ARE many things the same, but If you dont know for sure, ask him to grab a book.
5. Just cause its a SBC Chevy, EVERYTHING isnt the same from Gen 1-08
6. Please dont brag about how your car is the fastest car ever.
7. Know where your label code is for car. (the one that is in the trunk or etc.)
8. Know what kind of car it is!!!
9. Know what size engine 3,4,6,8,10,12 cyl. (stupid, but would be suprised)
10.Be nice even though your pissed, used to do anything for nice customers, better discounts, service, and more in depth project help on MY spare time to help them.
11. DO NOT ASK FOR EXHAUST PRICES OVER THE PHONE!!!
Another thing from me, dont be pissed how long your on hold on the phone, Your lazyazz is watchn football, eating a pizza, WHILE asking me what do I think the problem is on YOUR car. I DO NOT KNOW EVERYTHING, I know SOME things.:)

Voodoo Chick
08-26-2008, 01:03 AM
I have personally waited in line at various parts-stores behind the people that do each and every one of the above-listed things........Makes ya kinda wanna reach over and slap the living hell out of them.............

Sprayaway Fox
08-26-2008, 01:09 AM
P.S. DO NOT send your girl or wife to get parts. If you do, write down the info her or she will come home with the wrong parts or a whole bunch of extra sheet that is for the install. Its called WITTDJR What it takes to do job "rite". Yea it is gay, but the company is all about ticket sales. Chain store Managers salivate when a woman usually comes in for a guy.

xxtremeteam
08-26-2008, 01:14 AM
best parts store store in milwaukee a checker auto, guy in front of me needs parts for a pontiac 6000le, but insists its a gooole, parts guy walked away 3 times before someone else had to take over , they tried and tried to make him believe it was a 6000le but he would not exept that and left with no parts because 6000le parts would not fit his gooole

Sprayaway Fox
08-26-2008, 01:15 AM
:rolf:rolf:rolf I know, trust me.. I know. I got so many rigging it together stories I could be McGuyver if the sheet would actually work like they think. My buds always ripped on me for workn there but the shop I worked at hit tough times (12 shops in a 2 mile radius), so needed a job. Was making a mighty 8.07 and hr.:headbang

Voodoo Chick
08-26-2008, 01:15 AM
I know, they get real pissed off when I turn out to know just as much about cars as a guy..........

theavenger333
08-26-2008, 02:03 AM
3. If doing break job, know if it is drum or disc

other rule: if you worked at a parts store, know it's a BRAKE job. :rolf

88Nightmare
08-26-2008, 02:11 AM
other rule: if you worked at a parts store, know it's a BRAKE job. :rolf

damn you beat me to it :rolf

Sprayaway Fox
08-26-2008, 02:14 AM
TRUE:rolfmy bad, but their all the same rite?:rolf:rolf:rolf

Silver86
08-26-2008, 02:19 AM
i usually follow these rules very closely... but the rare times that it gets out of hand, is because of the way im treated @ the counter... like im just some punk kid...

xxsn0blindxx
08-26-2008, 07:45 AM
i usually follow these rules very closely... but the rare times that it gets out of hand, is because of the way im treated @ the counter... like im just some punk kid...

Werd, ironically it seems like the parts guys who know the least are the biggest jackasses too. It took me a good 5 minutes of going back and forth with an older guy at Advance to get a throttle body gasket for 98 Caravan. He insisted the vehicle did not have a throttle body because it was multi-point and not TBI. My efforts to explain that either way it still had a throttle body and only the location and quantity of injectors were different went nowhere. Eventually I had to say you know the piece between the intake plenum and the air cleaner with the plate that opens and closes when you press the gas pedal? I need the gasket for that. He immediately responds oh the throttle valve? :chair:

I've also had to explain to more than one parts counter person that the throttle position sensor doesn't control the idle, it senses the position of the throttle. To control the idle they need an idle control valve, or idle air control or whatever that particular store calls it.

The best though was when I had a guy tell me that if I installed a 180 degree thermostat into a car that was supposed to have a 195, it would fry the computer. He almost wouldn't sell it to me and I finally flat out told him that it made no logical sense at all and asked him to explain to me how he thought that would happen. After he mumbled something about i dunno these new-fangled computers and shit don't let you change anything he begrudgingly sold me the thermostat with the caveat that I was buying it at my own risk and I'd have to buy a new computer :rolf

In most cases the parts counter people are very helpful and I have no problems at all. I try to make sure I have all my ducks in a row when I get there, first thing I do is say I need a [part] for a [year], [manufacturer], [model] with a [engine type and displacement]. This works almost every time, except when you get the guy who needs to convey his superior automotive knowledge and question your purchase, when no advice was asked for.

michelle
08-26-2008, 07:54 AM
In most cases the parts counter people are very helpful and I have no problems at all. I try to make sure I have all my ducks in a row when I get there, first thing I do is say I need a [part] for a [year], [manufacturer], [model] with a [engine type and displacement]. This works almost every time, except when you get the guy who needs to convey his superior automotive knowledge and question your purchase, when no advice was asked for.

x2. Although those certain guys can be really entertaining at times when I have the time and patience to deal with them. A few I have had to humor and play the dumb girlfriend role just to get what I needed and leave. I have a commercial account at a few part stores, so that tends to stop any unnecessary advice.

TheRxForSpeeed
08-26-2008, 08:17 AM
I've had guys tell me I need 8 spark plugs for my 13b and then had others tell me that their engine diagnostic system will work with my car only for them to come out to the car for them to confirm that it won't (this was pre-apexi engine management system). I do not go to advanced or autozone in the menonomonee falls area anymore and just order my stuff from a Mazda dealership.

Holeshot
08-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Here is what I want.
Year
Make
Model
Vin
Engine size. Ummm is it a 1.5 VTEC or not.I Is it DOHC or SHOC
Wheel base if doing exhaust or parking brake cables
2 WHEEL DRIVE 4 WHEEL DRIVE FRONT WHEEL DRIVE ALL WHEEL DRIVE.
Disc or Drum Brakes. And what size wheels on some chrysler vehicles. Tevis or Akibono brakes on the Jeeps.
Please tell me you swapped out your motor before we look everything up not after.

I don't give two shit if your keeping the car or not I am offering you options for prices on parts. I also don't care about your history with the vehicle or how it got broke down.

Why do people think its Okay to use parts for testing and then return them. If you don't have the test equipment or knowledge take it to a shop.

Don't get pissed off at me because you forgot your receipt and I won't return parts with out it. And no I can't archive it in the computer by your name or credit card #. I need the Invoice # !!!!

Don't tell me your with a company and want their discount after I looked it all up and now expect me to change pricing. I also want proof you work for them I will not take your word for it unless I know for a fact you do.

Don't haggle for pricing . Do you go to the grocery store and ask for more off your bill at the check out? Do you take your own meat to Mc Donalds and ask then to cook it at a discount?

My rule of thumb is if you are spending a few hundred I will do what I can to lower pricing. If your a **** and tell me you want a discount you probably wont get it.

Ill think of more but Its my day off.

nismodave
08-26-2008, 08:33 AM
When I go to parts stores, I will not allow a WOMAN to wait on me.

99% of them who work there, dont know a fvcking Quart of oil, from a belt.

michelle
08-26-2008, 08:42 AM
When I go to parts stores, I will not aloow a WOMAN to wait on me.

:stare

nismodave
08-26-2008, 08:47 AM
:stare

I figured this would catch your attention.:rolf

I still stand by my statement.

DurtyKurty
08-26-2008, 08:47 AM
When I go to parts stores, I will not aloow a WOMAN to wait on me.

LOL! Tell us how you really feel Dave!

SmokinRAM114
08-26-2008, 09:01 AM
When I go to parts stores, I will not allow a WOMAN to wait on me.

damn who urinated in ur cheerios this morning? LOL well if wouldnt ask for parts for a nismo they might no what ur talking about:goof

nismodave
08-26-2008, 09:07 AM
damn who urinated in ur cheerios this morning? LOL well if wouldnt ask for parts for a nismo they might no what ur talking about:goof

I havent had breakfast yet. LOL:rolf

Hey Im just sayin EVERYtime I go to a parts store, and a broad is the next open employee, she either has no clue how to work the computer, doesent know where an item would be, or has never heard of said part.

michelle
08-26-2008, 09:13 AM
I havent had breakfast yet. LOL:rolf

Hey Im just sayin EVERYtime I go to a parts store, and a broad is the next open employee, she either has no clue how to work the computer, doesent know where an item would be, or has never heard of said part.

Maybe your sexiness just distracts them and they get all jumbled up. (:

Mr. Brett
08-26-2008, 09:14 AM
I'm convinced that any automotive knowledge results in immediate disqualification from employment at auto parts stores. NAPA is the only exception.

Poncho
08-26-2008, 09:18 AM
When I go to strip clubs, I will not allow a WOMAN to wait on me.

100% of women who post here, dont know a fvcking Quart of oil, from a belt.

wow Dave.

Karps TA
08-26-2008, 09:35 AM
I hate walking into a chain parts store and them not being able to do anything besides look up a part by model, year, etc.

There's an Autozone in Muskego that I refuse to buy anything from unless I can walk in and grab it off the shelf myself. About a year ago I went in asking for a 4 barrel carb baseplate gasket. They couldn't help me without model, year info. So I grabbed a carb spacer walked it back to the counter and showed them the gasket inside and said I need one of these. The guy - not a kid but a guy in his 50's atleast, stared blankly at it and said "Sorry, I wouldn't think we'd sell anything like that" I just looked around the store then asked him if I made a mistake and walked into Walgreens, cause I thought I was in an auto parts store. I just walked out in disgust.

So I go a couple mile down the road to our Bumper to Bumper store and ask the guy the for the same part, he walks in the back and grabs a couple of them. Didn't need a year, make or model, just knew what the hell he was selling. They are great for stuff like that. Not just computer monkeys, who can't do anything without the screen telling them to. For some reason I remember when I was younger that the people working in parts store's were actually car people. Seems to me most of the people I end up dealing with in the big Chain store might as well be working at The Gap.

Holeshot
08-26-2008, 09:44 AM
I hate walking into a chain parts store and them not being able to do anything besides look up a part by model, year, etc.

There's an Autozone in Muskego that I refuse to buy anything from unless I can walk in and grab it off the shelf myself. About a year ago I went in asking for a 4 barrel carb baseplate gasket. They couldn't help me without model, year info. So I grabbed a carb spacer walked it back to the counter and showed them the gasket inside and said I need one of these. The guy - not a kid but a guy in his 50's atleast, stared blankly at it and said "Sorry, I wouldn't think we'd sell anything like that" I just looked around the store then asked him if I made a mistake and walked into Walgreens, cause I thought I was in an auto parts store. I just walked out in disgust.

So I go a couple mile down the road to our Bumper to Bumper store and ask the guy the for the same part, he walks in the back and grabs a couple of them. Didn't need a year, make or model, just knew what the hell he was selling. They are great for stuff like that. Not just computer monkeys, who can't do anything without the screen telling them to. For some reason I remember when I was younger that the people working in parts store's were actually car people. Seems to me most of the people I end up dealing with in the big Chain store might as well be working at The Gap.

That's because their is a two fold failure. One the Companies are not hiring experienced people and properly training them.

Second problem is there are few of us old timers left to know the difference between a carb base plate gasket and the spacer plate gasket.

I have worked both sides of the field as a tech and now parts. I have worked for dealerships and private garages. I did it in the service to. Having real hands on experience both in parts and as a tech and a good eye and ear for details is what makes a good counter person.

Yeehaw
08-26-2008, 09:56 AM
i always just get pist off people on the phone...sorry if i have 3 lines i can only do one at a time...and its funny it watch the third line hang up and call back but in the time that it took them to hang up and call back another person called so now they are line 4

believe me i know this all to well i work at napa in pewaukee and am by myself alll day sunday

Holeshot
08-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Yeah it gets stupid sometimes. We are corporate owned and believe it or not we do around 3 million a year in sales out of my store alone. Now compound that by the six other company owned stores . Hales Corners. Loomis Ave. Store at the warehouse,75 th and Good Hope, East Capitol Dr and the new store on 14th and Burnham.

We turn some serious #s. However not everyone has the same education or training. Some have different personalities......

Just sayin that every store is different and you may not get the same service from one to the next.

Windsors 03 Cobra
08-26-2008, 10:11 AM

I can understand your frustration but there is a 2 fold failure here, you didnt give the guy a morsel of info other than "carb base gasket" ?
Why didnt you just tell him the application or any application that would have got you a carb base gasket or something close you could look at and say "no thats not it, try this other application" or "yea thats the one, thank you" ?

I just do my best to be patient with folks weather it be the guy at napa checking availability over the phone for me or the dumb but cute 18 year old broad behind the counter at the zone.

Yeehaw
08-26-2008, 10:11 AM
yea exactly, our stores our independently owned (pewaukee and the new waukesha) but we have our good employees and the bad ones. You know the bad ones because people will call and ask for other people or come in and ask and wait for someone else. I know i do pretty good business i can push 60-80 sales on a sunday by myself....and usually weds-fri i am by myself 5-8 pm and i can usually rock 30 or so i say thats not terrible but i know all to well for what its like to be behind the counter....day goes good unless you get the guy that argues that on a grand cherokee the front brakes are ALL the same....or the kid that asks how easy it is to put on a gas cap

Holeshot
08-26-2008, 10:19 AM
yea exactly, our stores our independently owned (pewaukee and the new waukesha) but we have our good employees and the bad ones. You know the bad ones because people will call and ask for other people or come in and ask and wait for someone else. I know i do pretty good business i can push 60-80 sales on a sunday by myself....and usually weds-fri i am by myself 5-8 pm and i can usually rock 30 or so i say thats not terrible but i know all to well for what its like to be behind the counter....day goes good unless you get the guy that argues that on a grand cherokee the front brakes are ALL the same....or the kid that asks how easy it is to put on a gas cap

You have a great owner. He knows his shit. That why you will not see a corporate owned Store in your area. Besides stepping on his territory. Also the people that own the New Berlin Store own the West Allis store as well. There are some really good counter people at all those stores. We talk with them all daily for one reason or another.

Karps TA
08-26-2008, 10:26 AM
I can understand your frustration but there is a 2 fold failure here, you didnt give the guy a morsel of info other than "carb base gasket" ?
Why didnt you just tell him the application or any application that would have got you a carb base gasket or something close you could look at and say "no thats not it, try this other application" or "yea thats the one, thank you" ?

I just do my best to be patient with folks weather it be the guy at napa checking availability over the phone for me or the dumb but cute 18 year old broad behind the counter at the zone.

I actually did, but didn't expound on that on my post. And I did try and give him examples of stuff I thought might have a holley 4 bbl on it, but he was either lost trying to look that up, or it had a Qjet on it. Again I did physically show him the gasket.

And I'd say that would be a valid arguement if the real parts store wasn't able just to walk and grab me one without me having to figure it out.

Heck if this was even like an 18 year old kid who I thought would be an import guy and never even seen a carb, I'd have been a little more understanding. But this guy was old enough to know a 4 bbl carb base gasket. Oddly enough the guy now is a manager there...

wikked
08-26-2008, 10:32 AM
I always look up the parts ahead of time online... and just give them their part #.

No arguing, no bullshėt :)

88Nightmare
08-26-2008, 10:46 AM
There was one time I had bought the wrong part from Dan's Napa store in South Milwaukee.... it wasn't the counter persons fault, it was my own. I bought something I thought I needed to fix my problem but I ended up fixing it other ways. (I dont remember the exact circumstances) but the part was unused, still wrapped up, however I had lost my receipt. I did remember the exact day and exact dollar amount the purchase was so the counter person there was kind enough to take the 5 minutes to look it up and accept it as a return. I think thats also great customer service

wrath
08-26-2008, 11:22 AM
I haven't found a good auto parts store near me. I saw a mention of a Pewaukee store so I guess I'll have to figure out which one and try there.

At the old auto parts store places I went to some people feared me and others had glee. I usually require books to come out and go parts hunting. Some people miss the old days of rummaging through parts books looking for oddities. Of course, oftentimes I come in the door with a part number I want.

Holeshot
08-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Bubba We can and will do that id we can find it in archives. The closer to the date the customer can remember the easier it is for us to find. Assuming it was bought at the store you are trying to return it to. Say you buy a part from Loomis store 3 months ago and try to return it at My store. I know have to call Loomis and have then do a search for the day you bought it. That can lead to impatient customers..... Corporate policy states We must have an original invoice # on the refunding invoice or we will be reprimanded, written up or suspended for continuing offenses.

Holeshot
08-26-2008, 11:27 AM
I haven't found a good auto parts store near me. I saw a mention of a Pewaukee store so I guess I'll have to figure out which one and try there.

At the old auto parts store places I went to some people feared me and others had glee. I usually require books to come out and go parts hunting. Some people miss the old days of rummaging through parts books looking for oddities. Of course, oftentimes I come in the door with a part number I want.

Come see me I love a challenge. :) Hay what ever makes the day go by works for me.:rolf

michelle
08-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Wow, all this negative part store talk and then breaking news is one is on fire in Ixonia right now.

(Highway 16 Auto Parts)

wikked
08-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Wow, all this negative part store talk and then breaking news is one is on fire in Ixonia right now.

One of the counter drones was probably thinking too hard, and spontaneously combusted.

Sprayaway Fox
08-26-2008, 11:57 AM
I had a guy drill a hole in a Probe distributor cap and put a sparkplug in it and run a 12v source with a switch to it "to get it to run" cause was to cheap to buy ignition module. I had a guy return ask for a WHOLE air conditioning system. I had a guy say that his car is the fastest car in the county, then buy our cheapest plugwires for it. I had a guy who wouldnt tell me what trans he had cause the only info he would tell me is ITS A CHEVY, MIDSIZE CAR and that their all the same. I had a guy trying to say he has a badass car he built in front of a whole bunch of customers,then asks me to put on his wiper blades for him when its raining out! I told him "what are you like 38? do it your fuggn self! Guys who change oil with trans fluid.People who try to return a universal cat when they dont pass emissions with it.That job is more mental than physical. TO many stories to list but there funny around a campfire.:thumbsup

Sprayaway Fox
08-26-2008, 12:11 PM
I do commend guys that work at one. There are alot of good customers too also. We averaged 5gs on a sunday for sales. Think how many phone calls that didnt buy and just got a quote, plus customers in haus. I was a "red shirt" (gay) never made manager cause the last spot that was open got taken by a women (who had less time than me and wouldnt wait on customers)who drove for us was sleeping with the manager.

Rocket Power
08-26-2008, 12:16 PM
I would like to get the right brake rotors for my car more than 25% of the time. It's gotten to the point I look them up before I got and give them the part number. I am 100% right when I look them up, at least 75% wrong when the AZ dude does

70 cutlass 442
08-26-2008, 12:40 PM
heres one for you then.....

1. when i ask for a brake parts, dont ask me if i hace AC or NO AC
2. When i ask for a WIX filter, dont tell me you have FRAM on sale. I respect my engine better then that
3. when im waiting in line and your running all over looking for a water pump for a mid 60s beetle for some guy on the phone, know that its a prank call and you have real customers in front of you.
4. the triple electrode Bosh spark plugs are garbage, dont try to up sell me form my autolites.
5. I dont want performance advice form you. If i take your advice and somethign fails, are you going to warranty my engine? no.
6. if the only avaiable person there to help me look up parts there is a girl, i would be more then willing to wait for a male sales associate.

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
08-26-2008, 12:43 PM
I have worked at a Napa just out of high school as a driver and all of the people working there were car enthusiasts who worked on cars and knew quite a bit. The only customers that got upset were the punks in high school who didn't know anything and the ocasional drunk ones. Now I work part time at an Advance Auto and I can't believe how many ignorant people visit that store just because of the lower quality and price parts.

I still buy parts at Napa

Syclone0044
08-26-2008, 12:44 PM
except when you get the guy who needs to convey his superior automotive knowledge and question your purchase, when no advice was asked for.
Oh man x700,000!!!

I'm starting to learn and I try to say "91 S10 4WD" instead of "GMC Syclone" but sometimes its unavoidable. They see "TURBO" on the computer and then it starts. The worst is anything that starts with: "You know what you should do to that truck?" Or: "I've got a buddy with..." Just kill me now!! :punch::chair:

All I want is my part and to be on my way, not a bunch of "advice" from someone who has never built a fast car that actually runs better than 14.0, and not a bunch of tall tales with as many holes in them as swiss cheese..

I recently got held "hostage" at the register for 5-10 minutes by a numb-nuts who was, I shit you not, explaining his pipe dream of how he would build a dual supercharger, single turbo contraption to power a V8 S10 that he someday hopes to afford (judging by the parking lot he was driving a $500 car). If you are a Seinfeld fan and have ever seen Jerry Seinfeld when Kenny Banya starts talking, you know exactly what I must have looked like. :rolf (For the hard core fans, what about the 1st episode, when Jerry is seated at a dinner table next to Elaine and the person next to him starts talking and he "thinks out loud" how he's "stuck", LMAO!)

Anyway, I always look up the numbers on www.autozone.com, www.partsamerica.com (Advance's website), or www.napaonline.com first so I know what price to expect in case they try to give me the wrong part.

lordairgtar
08-26-2008, 01:14 PM
the last spot that was open got taken by a women (who had less time than me and wouldnt wait on customers)who drove for us was sleeping with the manager.
Never underestimate the power of poontang!:goof

lordairgtar
08-26-2008, 01:23 PM
Someone tell me why, when I go to a parts store not familiar to me for something like a fuse or bulb, they ask if I got AC or not? I do like the Bumper to Bumper in Muskego. Mike knows his stuff and has patiently helped me figure out troubles with my older cars, even if my questions label me a tard. About the only thing I'm buying from AutoZone is air fresheners and spray paint for my model car projects.
Me...I want one of those air fresheners that look like a pine tree, please.
Counter chimp...Does your car have AC?
Me...(running out the door) Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrggghh!!!

Yeehaw
08-26-2008, 02:08 PM
i just hate when people look up part numbers online come buy it...its wrong then blame me for it....never got that one

and boat people need to learn that the 350 in a boat is different then in a 92 camaro!

Holeshot
08-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Like I stated before you need to find a parts person you like and stick with them. I am no saint and I make mistakes. Hay were all human. I just know what to and not to ask.

There are many people on this board that have come to me for parts and called me even on weekend I don't work. I will try my best to help anyone on here that wants it. 4th of July comes to mind for a seal someone needed. I was on line and on the phone with my store. Did we have the seal no but whats important is I made every possible effort to help.

I never make suggestions unless asked for advice. Its not my vehicle so what I might do is not your choice or opinion. The reason some of these peeps ask if it has A/C is because the electronic catalog ask and they for what ever reason don't know if that mattered for the parts being asked for. I on the other hand do.

As for someone asking for Wix filters and being offered Fram remember that corporate want us to push sale items. Now we do not stock garbage filters like that we do sell Wix but under a NAPA part number. The only difference is you drop the first number, So if its 51515 ours is a 1515 ....

I could ramble all day .

Just remember Ill do my best to help you find what you need.

Dan

xxsn0blindxx
08-26-2008, 04:28 PM
I certainly didn't mean to start a parts guy bashfest. It seems like there are three types of parts guys.

There's the guy who really know his stuff and is helpful, this is by far the hardest to come by and it sounds like the guys on this board fit that category. You can ask them a question and they will get you the correct answer. If you need a part that doesn't fit in the computer's prompts they can usually find a way to get you what you need. This is the guy that makes buying parts a positive experience and if you get in a conversation with him you'll actually enjoy it.

Then there's the guy just doing his job. He'll get your parts no questions asked and he'll get the right ones provided they are correct in the system. Don't bother trying to get more than that because you'll end up with a blank stare, he'll also likely ask if you have A/C because he only knows how to follow the prompts. This is by far the most common and while not the most helpful, he's all you really need for 80% of your purchases.

Last, there's the obnoxious douchetard. He doesn't know d!ck, but he'll pretend like he does. He's got ideas for what you need to do with your car even if you already have it figured out. He'll talk down to you like you're a moron and then tell you things that simply don't make sense. No amount of reasoning will work with this guy. The best approach is to ignore him and just try to get him to ring up what you want without punching him in the throat. This guy is pretty rare, but totally sours the experience and gives the other guys a bad rap.

Waver
08-26-2008, 04:46 PM
when I was at advanced auto in brown deer I couldnt help over hear a conversation over the phone

phone guy- "I need an alternator for an 89 Lamborgini Testerossa"

kid- o.k. sir I will look it up
sir I dont see a listing for a Lamborgini Testerossa

Phone guy- "well it is what I have, an 89 lamborgini testerossa"

after 20 min of this I went up to the kid and told him that there was no such thing as a lamborgini testerossa. there is a Lamborgini countosh or a ferarri testerossa for 89.

Kid told the customer that, and the customer yelled at him and asked for a manager....that was good for a laugh that night

Holeshot
08-26-2008, 05:01 PM
I didn't take it as a bash fest. I thought there was a good amount of feed back in it.

Windsors 03 Cobra
08-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Napa was the cheapest for my Terminator alternator and most likely the best quality. :thumbsup
And Napa will order it with just a call. :thumbsup
Plus Napa has a paint & machine shop staffed by knowledgeable salesmen.

PureSound15
08-26-2008, 05:58 PM
4th of July comes to mind for a seal someone needed. I was on line and on the phone with my store.

I might have given him your cell number. Sorry for the bother, but thanks for the help. I though he was going to give birth to something evil that day.

Holeshot
08-26-2008, 06:04 PM
No apology necessary I was eager to help. Ryan you know that.

DurtyKurty
08-26-2008, 06:19 PM
What about Carquest? I have found all of those guys to be really good. seems as though there parts on the whole are really good quality too.

Windsors 03 Cobra
08-26-2008, 06:22 PM
What about Carquest? I have found all of those guys to be really good. seems as though there parts on the whole are really good quality too.

Yea there are 2 of those here but they call themselves "Bumper to Bumper" pretty smart folks serving mostly commercials accounts around here.

Anyone remember shitlock or trak auto ? :rolf

Rocket Power
08-26-2008, 07:47 PM
I have one 2 blocks from my house, been there ONE time for a steel brake line. I had bought the same style /brand line in longer size 3 or 4 ft at advance for a few bucks, go the the carquest since I just need one more foot, 8 f-ing dollars for a foot of brake line. Last time I will set foot in there. I usually look online and compare prices and surprisingly a lot of times NAPA is the same or cheaper. I just go down to the one on like 50th & State. Always had good luck there.

Rocket Power
08-26-2008, 07:50 PM
Anyone remember shitlock or trak auto ? :rolfHells yeah I remember ditching work to get John Forces autograph when they opened the Trak in Kenowhere.
Whitlock was one I would frequent when I first got my license. Now Home depot is there.
What about Super Shops?:goof

Voodoo Chick
08-28-2008, 12:05 AM
I really hate to say this (being, myself, female) but every damn time I go to a parts store and there's some dingbat 19-year-old girl at the counter, I think to myself, "well, this is gonna be tedious...." and it always is. Not that the guys working there are usually much better, though. They seem to be equally braindead. I had a girl at a store ask me what type of engine my car had, when I responded "a Chevy 350," she was like "a what!?" I couldn't believe it. Oh well, at least Napa is pretty good.

Sprayaway Fox
08-28-2008, 12:59 AM
The pipe dream parts guy is great! It is true also. x2 There is a lot of "My deek is bigger" in a parts chainstore wharehouse crew. Notice how guys talk real loud when there talking about "their project" in a parts store so everybody can hear it. So true, So true:rolf

Z28Envy
08-28-2008, 02:03 AM
I usually go to the napa in Plymouth if a need something minor. There are usually 2 girls working that arn't bad lookin!:goof

Sprayaway Fox
08-28-2008, 02:31 AM
LOL thats Dawn, Skinny dark hair ( She's a car chick) went with me to Dells for show. Jenny is the Blonde one that has the hooters. She is a BIG 4x4 nut(78 bronco) She likes mudding and trails and builds stuff. U should take your Camaro to the pipelines with her!:rolf:rolf:rolf I go to carquest cause they deliver to my house.

Z28Envy
08-28-2008, 02:38 AM
LOL thats Dawn, Skinny dark hair ( She's a car chick) went with me to Dells for show. Jenny is the Blonde one that has the hooters. She is a BIG 4x4 nut(78 bronco) She likes mudding and trails and builds stuff. U should take your Camaro to the pipelines with her!:rolf:rolf:rolf I go to carquest cause they deliver to my house.

I like hooters!!:thumbsup They are pretty cool girls!

88Nightmare
08-28-2008, 11:18 AM
I went with a friend to a local autozone in search for a inner tie rod for a 1993 Bonneville. The conversation went roughly something like this:

Us: "we need a inner tie rod for a 1993 Bonneville"

AZ clown "is it two door or four door?"

Us "mother****er, when the **** have you ever seen a two door bonneville?"

AZ "do you need a left side or a right?"

us "its an inner tie rod, they are both the same"

kid walks in back, comes back with a outer tie rod.......

Voodoo Chick
08-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Well...........For what it's worth, I had a dumb-a** at a store ask me not too long ago if my 1979 Camaro was front wheel drive or rear wheel drive......

xxsn0blindxx
08-28-2008, 12:54 PM
Did you say all wheel drive?

Yeehaw
08-28-2008, 06:15 PM
my friend went into the zone on sunset in waukesha and asked for a clutch for his ranger and the kid asked if it was manuel or automatic...sometimes you gotta catch yourself with the prompts....cause sometimes it asks weird questions but never ran into where it asked if its a 4 door or 2 door on a tie rod end

Irish
08-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Man I haven't though about whitlock in 20 years.... literally.

wrath
08-28-2008, 08:00 PM
my friend went into the zone on sunset in waukesha and asked for a clutch for his ranger and the kid asked if it was manuel or automatic...sometimes you gotta catch yourself with the prompts....cause sometimes it asks weird questions but never ran into where it asked if its a 4 door or 2 door on a tie rod end

There are goofy-ass cars like the previous generation Stratus that it matters. I'm not sure what's different about the front end but when I replaced them on my girlfriend's 4 door Stratus the parts were completely different between a coupe and a sedan.