PDA

View Full Version : The new GT-R

CobraSnake
08-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Has anyone ever heard about this. Aparently if you turn your TC off or race with a new GT-R it voids your warranty.

http://www.fquick.com/blog/Launch_control_on_the_GT-R_voids_your_warranty_/2047

Flicktitty
08-22-2008, 12:04 PM
thats effing gay. i don't know if i believe it or not.

Car Guy
08-22-2008, 12:16 PM
Bottom line is they want it to appear that is has a warranty, but don't want cover anything should something break (don't really blame them either). Now we all know that 99% of the people WILL be turning off the TC so it's sort of like a legal loophole (sp?). Actually, most vehicle warranties clearly state that ANY modifications will void a warranty. It's not common practice to hassle people about minor stuff but if it comes down to it the manufacturer definitely has their side covered.....

This reminds me of when I was working at Venus Ford back in `98. I guy rolls into the service drive with a `96 5.0L Cobra and instantly you could hear the whine from the vortech. He talks to a service writer and starts to get irritated almost right away because it was explained to him that his lifter tick was NOT going to be covered under warranty. It went on for 20 minutes and the guy still couldn't understand the 'concept', and he was being serious about not getting it. I just stood there the entire time laughing at this guy while the service writer pointed out numerous modifications that were done by the previous owner. Apparently the person that sold it to him knew this guy was brain dead and told him the warranty was still good.....:rolf

xxsn0blindxx
08-22-2008, 12:38 PM
There a lot of misinformation floating around and I believe this ended up being only applicable in Japan. This started circulating months ago, along with the GPS telling Nissan corporate when a car has been at a track. To my knowledge there has never been any actual proof that this is true and can be added to the pile of made up crap from the GTR haters.

note: I have no incredible love for the GTR, I Just hate seeing misinformed people spreading rumors and I'm tired of seeing this crap posted all over the internet of the past 6 months

Holeshot
08-22-2008, 12:49 PM
^^^ IIRC it was in a magazine artical a few months back. Yeah it was over seas only on the GPS issue. Not sure about the other info tho.

Nick
08-22-2008, 12:51 PM
The GPS thing was on Top Gear. Jeremy Clarkson noted how if it is at a track, certain performance inhibiting aspects of the car are no longer active and allow for a true track experience.

I'm not talking about 1/4 mile dragging stuff. This is a road race car.

Syclone0044
08-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Here's some more "Gotchas" about the GTR I found on another website. Not sure if they are all true but definitely worth investigating if anyone is thinking of buying one:

The "black box" records endless variables and can't be accessed through any normal OBD/CAN interface. Our scan tools won't talk to it, its an entire different unit kept in a suitcase with a MFing combo lock on it!

The car comes with such an aggressive alignment from the factory customers will be asked if they would like the vehicle set up for street or track use as it will eat tires in track config.

Endless waivers about the loud ass tranny, loud ass tires, etc.If you should decide to track it and have it set up that way the black box will record you boost psi, tranny temps, tranny psi etc. and if you use race mode you supposedly have a mileage window to come in for service or bye bye warranty coverage.

When you come in for that service you will find tranny fluid that is nearly 100/qt and it needs a little over ten, front brake pads around 800, rears around 700. Rotors over 1g a pop. Tires 500+. yadda yadda. I love that they advertise it as the affordable supercar but I find it to be anything but. Regular fluid interval on the tranny is 18mo/18k miles.

These are dealer cost on parts as of right now. So these prices do not include dealer mark up.

Engine= $28,000

Transmission= $18,000

Trans fluid= $90 dollars a quart [takes 10 qts]

All pads and rotors [have to replace all 4 wheels as a set for proper operation] $7400

just little tidbits igot from a friend that was doing some research on them.

Windsors 03 Cobra
08-22-2008, 01:07 PM
^Good lord thats alot of money^

CobraSnake
08-22-2008, 01:21 PM
There a lot of misinformation floating around and I believe this ended up being only applicable in Japan. This started circulating months ago, along with the GPS telling Nissan corporate when a car has been at a track. To my knowledge there has never been any actual proof that this is true and can be added to the pile of made up crap from the GTR haters.

note: I have no incredible love for the GTR, I Just hate seeing misinformed people spreading rumors and I'm tired of seeing this crap posted all over the internet of the past 6 months

sounds like your a little butt hurt. I didn't say I believed it in I was just posting the info. No need to fly off the handle.

Mark

Car Guy
08-22-2008, 01:58 PM
All I have to say is wait for OBD3 to come out which will have incredible satellite 'involvement'.....

wrath
08-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.shtm

Essentially, if you (the business) offer a warranty and a person (the consumer) wants an item warranted and you (the business) don't want to then you (the business) must prove that the failure is due to modifications or negligence/abuse on the part of the person (the consumer).

Other countries don't have the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act or anything similar to it. I can strap an 8-71 on top of my 4.8L pickup and still get the brakes warranted. However, I bet they'd have issue with a failed 4L60e.

GTSLOW
08-22-2008, 03:09 PM
New GT-R Runs 7.9 on stock shortblock (http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30792)

xxsn0blindxx
08-22-2008, 04:48 PM
sounds like your a little butt hurt. I didn't say I believed it in I was just posting the info. No need to fly off the handle.

Mark

Not in the least and certainly not flying off the handle. I've just seen this posted a zillion different times like 6 months ago on other sites, it's been refuted and now I see it again. Nothing like old news that's also incorrect.

xxsn0blindxx
08-22-2008, 04:51 PM

Mark

Not in the least and certainly not flying off the handle. I've just seen this posted a zillion different time like 6 months ago on other sites, it's been refuted and now I see it again. Nothing like old news that's also incorrect. It's the same reaction I'd have if somebody posted that the missions to the moon were a conspiracy faked by the government :goof Simply a feeling of oh for crying out loud not this again.

CobraSnake
08-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Not in the least and certainly not flying off the handle. I've just seen this posted a zillion different times like 6 months ago on other sites, it's been refuted and now I see it again. Nothing like old news that's also incorrect.

so your saying that the above article is not true??? I just thought Nissan was being dicks. Like seriously Racing how would that void a warranty they must be nuts. What I want to do with MY car is MY business. Or I saw on there "not keeping up with rotine matenence" or something like that. What if I have a friend that does it on the side and it wouldn't be anything that I could prove? Seriously how would they monitor that??

Mark

xxsn0blindxx
08-22-2008, 05:17 PM
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/car_shopping/latest_news_reviews/2009_nissan_gt_r_ownership_myths_dispelled_car_new s

The use of launch control isn't specifically adressed in this article, but it gives you and idea that this is just another one of the overhyped GT-R rumors that ZOMG teh GT-R warranty will be teh void if you turn on teh radi0 while driving in reverse in sub 40-degree weather!!!!1!!! There hasn't been a single confirmed case of a warranty being denied due to using launch control or turning VDC off. I also have a hard time taking an article seriously that's source is a link to a messageboard with no verification of fact.

xxsn0blindxx
08-22-2008, 05:37 PM
Nissan isn't dumb, they know people are going to use the car for what it is meant to do, but they aren't going to be held liable if the car breaks because the car isn't maintained properly and then breaks while some guy is mercilessly beating the piss out of it. The verbage is their to cover their asses in the event that the vehicle is severely abused. GM won't replace the transmission on a Malibu if you blow it up doing neutral drops.

Irish
08-22-2008, 06:00 PM
Not in the least and certainly not flying off the handle. I've just seen this posted a zillion different time like 6 months ago on other sites, it's been refuted and now I see it again. Nothing like old news that's also incorrect. It's the same reaction I'd have if somebody posted that the missions to the moon were a conspiracy faked by the government :goof Simply a feeling of oh for crying out loud not this again.

Can you prove we went to the moon?

nismodave
08-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Nissan isn't dumb, they know people are going to use the car for what it is meant to do, but they aren't going to be held liable if the car breaks because the car isn't maintained properly and then breaks while some guy is mercilessly beating the piss out of it. The verbage is their to cover their asses in the event that the vehicle is severely abused. GM won't replace the transmission on a Malibu if you blow it up doing neutral drops.

Excellent Post.

05caddyext
08-23-2008, 12:03 PM
It all comes down to the dealer you work with as well. I had a major engine failure in my 06 Mazda6 this past spring. My fault entirely. I had those rubber floor mats in the car for winter because my carpet is black and I didn't want all the salt to ruin it. Well those mats are thick, and one day my gas pedal got stuck to the floor. I have a 5 speed. The motor over-revved and did some major damage. The dealer had to replace the entire head, all new valves, pistons. They warranted the entire thing, bill was nearly $6000 with labor.

They did it because I had an excellent relationship with the dealer, I have taken it there for every oil change, and have them perform all the maintenance so I have good records when I sell it. They didn't even question what happened, they just did the work. The dealer and the company don't want bad reputation going around, and not doing something like warranty work is going to spread fast. You all know negative reaction spreads 1000x as fast as someone doing the right thing.

wrath
08-23-2008, 12:38 PM
My now ex-coworker has a Mazda 3. She took it to the dealership (Russ Darrow) for EVERYTHING because otherwise they threatened to void the warranty. Some shit about if you don't have "blah blah blah done at the 60,000 mile mark" or something.

The piece of shit had so many engine problems it wasn't funny. They were kind enough to give her a loaner car (a beat Mazda 3) but that's about it. They had it on-and-off for over a month. They'd give it back to her just so she couldn't lemon-law it even though it was still broken.

You could clearly tell it was an engine problem but they kept thinking it was the transmission. They eventually replaced the entire top of the engine. It was probably only the "shutter valve" which is *only* like $600 and about 4 hours of time. It's like every other POS Mazda since the early Protege with the craptacular design "shutter valve".

I went to Holz in Watertown with a few minor warranty issues on my G6. They gave me a $30,000 loaner hardtop coupe G6 with 71 miles on it and my car cost $21,000. They even stayed late when I went to pick it up. That's what I call service.

xxsn0blindxx
08-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Interesting, my wife bought her Mazda 6i from Darrow and never said anything about having to have the car serviced there. In fact we specifically made sure that it was ok for an independent shop to service her car as she was going to school in VA at the time, with no Mazda dealership near her college.

What is this shutter valve you're talking about? Is this on the 2.0 or 2.3 motor? My wife has 85k on her 6i and aside from the generator voltage regulator going bad at 62k, the car has been rock solid.

wrath
08-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Interesting, my wife bought her Mazda 6i from Darrow and never said anything about having to have the car serviced there. In fact we specifically made sure that it was ok for an independent shop to service her car as she was going to school in VA at the time, with no Mazda dealership near her college.

What is this shutter valve you're talking about? Is this on the 2.0 or 2.3 motor? My wife has 85k on her 6i and aside from the generator voltage regulator going bad at 62k, the car has been rock solid.

I think it might be who you are kind of thing. The person I'm speaking of is like 5'4", blond, and athletic. They never treated her very well even though she's an EE and no dummy. Boucher tried the same thing with me but I told them to go pound sand.

She had all sorts of problems with Darrow including but not limited to a tire falling off.

The shutter valve thing is for variable runner intakes. Pretty neat idea but they never got it to work right. I don't know anything about Mazdas but after some research I had found the procedure for testing and replacing the shutter valve.

I, myself, thought the car was kind of neat for a shitkicker Focus/Cobalt/stripper VW car. Definitely a nice car compared to the other rice competition.