PDA

View Full Version : BEST restaurants in Milwaukee.....

Car Guy
08-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Well I'm tired of reading about every sh!thole restaurant in Milwaukee so let’s hear some of the best our fine city has to offer.....:banana1:

For breakfast I always go to Spring Gardens on Layton Ave just west of I-94, which is a part of the Howard Johnson building. I have gone there numerous times (100+) and even when it's not their best effort it's still easily better than most other places in the same category. The food is very reasonably priced, service is quick/friendly, and they received the blue ribbon award from Channel 4 so they have to be doing something right as far keeping the place clean.....:)

San Dong Express is my favorite for Chinese food restaurant, located on Layton Ave .5 mile west of Howell Ave. I usually get the sweet/sour chicken or shrimp and amazing does not begin to describe how good it is.....

However, my favorite restaurant (by a long shot) is a place called Sheridan’s located in Cudahy on Lake Drive ===> http://www.sheridanhouseandcafe.com/. Now I know what you're thinking about Cudahy but forget the stereotypes for this one. Some of you might remember it as Fountain Blue from years ago, a place I actually worked at as my first 'real' job. It is now BY FAR one the BEST restaurants in the Milwaukee area hands down. You will not get a 5 gallon bucket of mediocre food but the food you do get is to die for and more than enough if you're not looking to absolutely stuff yourself. Besides food the surroundings are cooler than cool, and the waitresses are not ugly either if you know what I mean.....:shades

Alongside the restaurant there are many more amenities to discover, all of which are a result of a multi-million dollar renovation (which still amazes me). If I had someone coming into town and wanted to impress them with the best of what Milwaukee has to offer I wouldn't hesitate sending them there to eat and stay a few nights, it’s that nice. Needless to say it's for sure a diamond in the rough and to this day can't believe it's located in the good ol' City of Cudahy.....:rolf

I’m sure I'll think of a few more but those are the ones off the top of my head.....:thumbsup

PureSound15
08-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Crossroads Pizza - Beloit and Sunnyslope:drool::drool:

Capri 70something and beloit - lasagna:drool::drool:

Flicktitty
08-20-2008, 01:34 PM
Oakland Trattoria (http://www.oaklandtrattoria.com/) On Oakland and Locust Great pizza and awesome pasta.

PF Changs (http://www.pfchangs.com/) At Mayfair mall, excellent Chinese food, good atmosphere

Toppers Pizza (http://www.toppers.com/#/intro/)124th and Capitol. Awesome pizza and good service :shades

uhm,..... Gotta add BW3's on there aswell.

CobraSnake
08-20-2008, 01:37 PM
Well I'm a steak man myself. Thats really the only times I go out to eat is when I want a good Filet Mignon. I would have to say the best Filet's in the surrounding milwaukee area are the Packing House on Layton right across from the airport. Its like $30 for the Grand Steer Filet Meal and they stuff you till your about to pop. Also Open Flame is really nice but don't go there on the Friday because you could be waiting a while.

Mark

EDIT: Also Carguy I was just going to make this thread this morning but, I got lazy and didn't want to.

Neal Steffek
08-20-2008, 01:37 PM
Water Buffalo
Swig
Pizza Shuttle
Fridays Front Row
Jimmy Johns
Taco Bell
Bar Luie
Magoo's
And I love lots of all you can eat Chinese food places unlike most of you.

Goat Roper
08-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Mexican; Conejitos. Something about cheap tasty food on paper plates 5 minutes after ordering that makes this place my fav. Three beef enchiladas with rice and beans plate ftw!

boostaddict14
08-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Chipotle
panera
Mimmas On brady
Cempazuchi on Brady
Casablanca On brady
The dog haus 2 downtown
Sabor on water street
The polaris room on top of the Hyatt
Lake Park bistro
The Garage on brady
Texas road house
Outback
Water Buffalo
Bar louie
Red Robin
Kopps
Qdoba
Rock Bottom Brewery
Water street brewery.
Mo's Steakhouse
Mo's irish pub
Sake Tumi on milwaukee
Elsa's on Jackson
Cubanitas on Milwaukee
The wicked hop third ward
Milwaukee ale house third ward

etc etc. yea i guess i eat out alot.

boostaddict14
08-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Oh and twisted fork on North ave.

subliminal1284
08-20-2008, 01:55 PM
Mcdonalds FTW

CobraSnake
08-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Arby's 5 for 5.95!!!!! FTMFW!!!!!

jbiscuit
08-20-2008, 02:01 PM
Chipotle
panera
Mimmas On brady
Cempazuchi on Brady
Casablanca On brady
The dog haus 2 downtown
Sabor on water street
The polaris room on top of the Hyatt
Lake Park bistro
The Garage on brady
Texas road house
Outback
Water Buffalo
Bar louie
Red Robin
Kopps
Qdoba
Rock Bottom Brewery
Water street brewery.
Mo's Steakhouse
Mo's irish pub
Sake Tumi on milwaukee
Elsa's on Jackson
Cubanitas on Milwaukee
The wicked hop third ward
Milwaukee ale house third ward

etc etc. yea i guess i eat out alot.

Qdoba? Panera? Come on :rolf

Flicktitty
08-20-2008, 02:01 PM
i totally forgot about bar louie as well as brisco county.... ;)

Car Guy
08-20-2008, 02:03 PM
WOW, etiher some of you aren't that picky or I am the one that's super picky.....:goof

88Nightmare
08-20-2008, 02:06 PM
For a great meal, try Lake Park Bistro, up near Shorewood right off of Lake Drive. It sits ontop of a cliff right over the lake, and the dining room faces that direction so its a great view. They are more of a french/american cuisine place, great food and service. The waitstaff does not hover around your table, but they are quick to notice when you need something and are there in a flash. When I ate there, I never sat around wondering where the **** my waitress was because I wanted some more water. Very polite and the food was great. Pricey though, three people without drinks (we all just had water, thats how we roll) the tab with tip was about $150, but Id say well worth it for the quality of food and service

jbiscuit
08-20-2008, 02:09 PM
La Tapatia in Racine for Messican. GOOD eatin. Atmosphere? Not so much

The Great Dane in the MadCity. Never a bad meal. Good beer too. Nice atmosphere also. The homemade chicken pot pie is outstanding....I know its not Milwaukee but worth mentioning in case someone is out that way

Pizza: lots of good ones in the area. Flippios is awesome on Lincoln Ave in Stallis, Mama Mias, Infusinos in Racine....

Burger: Fuddruckers has a good burger. Red Robin is damn good too. 5-alarm burger FTW there.

Wings: hands down - Magoos. Get there early on wing night or plan on standing around for an hour for a table. Lefs was decent last time I was there but the snotty 18 year old waitress I had the last time also got a knuckle in her lip for snapping back when I told her my beer tasted like soap.

Best bar: now that I'm getting older and cant deal with punks anymore, I'd say Bennos in Stallis. AWESOME beer selection, great fish fry, close to my house. Can't beat it. I do like the Ale House too in the 3rd Ward. Good food here too.

Mr. Brett
08-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Pizza Shuttle

I hope this is a joke.

Mr. Brett
08-20-2008, 02:26 PM
However, my favorite restaurant (by a long shot) is a place called Sheridan’s which is located in Cudahy on Lake Drive ===> http://www.sheridanhouseandcafe.com/. Now I know what you're thinking about Cudahy but forget the stereotypes for this one. Some of you might remember it as Fountain Blue from years ago, a place I actually worked at as my first 'real' job. It is now BY FAR one the BEST restaurants in the Milwaukee area hands down. You will not get a 5 gallon bucket of mediocre food like most Greek places but the food you do get is to die for, and it's more than enough if you're not looking to absolutely stuff yourself. Besides the food the surroundings are just cooler than cool, and the waitresses are not ugly either if you know what I mean :shades ......

Alongside the restaurant there are many more amenities to discover, all of which are a result of a multi-million dollar renovation (which still amazes me). If I had someone coming into town and wanted to impress them with the best of what Milwaukee has to offer I wouldn't hesitate sending them there to eat and stay a few nights, it’s that nice. Needless to say it's for sure a diamond in the rough, and I'm still to this day can't believe that it's located in the good ol' City of Cudahy.....:rolf

This place is 2 blocks from my house (Yeah, I live in Cudahy. Big whoop, wanna fight about it?) and I drive past it every day but have never gone in. The renovation looked pretty extensive and it appears to be a pretty fancy place. I'll give it a go one of these nights.

Car Guy
08-20-2008, 02:26 PM
I hope this is a joke.

See post #13.....:thumbsup

This place is 2 blocks from my house (Yeah, I live in Cudahy. Big whoop, wanna fight about it?)

Don't worry, I lived in Cudahy for ten years resulting in a member of the class of `98 and I turned out OK.....:)

shoooo32
08-20-2008, 02:30 PM
Pasta Tree on Farwell. All pasta is made from scratch daily and the prices are ok. Vintage little italy/Lady and the tramp vibe makes it a great first date joint.

LIZMO
08-20-2008, 02:33 PM
taco bell!!! haha just kidding. not really though lol

um...
okland trattoria
pf changs
olive garden

great now i want good food!

LIZMO
08-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Pasta Tree on Farwell. All pasta is made from scratch daily and the prices are ok. Vintage little italy/Lady and the tramp vibe makes it a great first date joint.

i think ill have to check that out, i love pasta!!

WhatsADSM
08-20-2008, 02:37 PM
I love Chinese and Italian food so I'll throw my $.02 in on those.

Italian: I'll second the vote for Pasta Tree

Chinese: East Garden (small place on the corner of Menlo and Oakland on the upper east side)

mynameismike65
08-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Golden Gyros on Lincoln (not far from HWY 100) is the greatest place ever!!!!!!!! They pack them with so much freaking meat that 1 gyro is enough to satisfy even the hungriest on men. Very nice people there......good service.......:drool:

Mr. Brett
08-20-2008, 02:40 PM
I can't believe some of you people listed fast food chains in a list of the best restaurants in Milwaukee. Yikes.

Irish
08-20-2008, 02:43 PM
Louise's in Brookfield and Downtown Smoked Chicken Pasta!

Thai Palace in downtown Spicy Combo!

Windsors 03 Cobra
08-20-2008, 02:44 PM
I can't believe some of you people listed fast food chains in a list of the best restaurants in Milwaukee. Yikes. :rolf:thumbsup

Eddie Martinis.

STANMAN
08-20-2008, 02:46 PM
For steak, you won't find anything better than Louies 5 Star at the Butler Inn in Pewaukee. It's where I take my team leaders every year for an appreciation meal, and all of them say "Anytime I think you don't appreciate me, I just remember that we will go to the Butler Inn and have steak at the end of the year, and everything is OK again":rolf. Yeah, it's pricey ($35 I think for the 16oz, but it's so good you would pay triple that:thumbsup

STANMAN
08-20-2008, 02:48 PM
And the Cheesecake Factory is also damn good for the price, huge menu, and of course the cheesecake. Yeah, it's a semi-chain, but have you ever seen a chain with that big of a menu, and it's ALL good??? I have never had a bad meal there, and they have some dishes that are exceptional (the spicy cashew chicken is YUMMY!!!).

Neal Steffek
08-20-2008, 02:51 PM
I hope this is a joke.

The food is good, no way will I ever step foot inside it again though.

Golden Gyros on Lincoln (not far from HWY 100) is the greatest place ever!!!!!!!! They pack them with so much freaking meat that 1 gyro is enough to satisfy even the hungriest on men. Very nice people there......good service.......

Yes, the cheese burgers there are freak'n awesome. When I worked for the Milwaukee Journal we helped them advertise cheep when he first opened for free food. I could never figure out how he always had the hottest young girls there working for him. :drool:

Mr. Brett
08-20-2008, 02:51 PM
There's a difference between The Cheescake Factory and say, Taco Bell.

Mr. Brett
08-20-2008, 02:52 PM
The food is good, no way will I ever step foot inside it again though.

The food is garbage, the employees are garbage, and the restaurant is garbage. I would rather eat dogfood than that disgusting crap.

STANMAN
08-20-2008, 02:53 PM
There's a difference between The Cheescake Factory and say, Taco Bell.

Yeah, the Cheesecake factory needs a .79 .89 .99 cent menu:rolf

88Nightmare
08-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Yeah, the Cheesecake factory needs a .79 .89 .99 cent menu:rolf

yes, for $.99 you can get a quarter sized bite of cheese cake :rolf

88Nightmare
08-20-2008, 02:57 PM
I also like Kyoto's on 76th and layton, their salad that comes with lunch is great, awesome dressing, or Japanica has great sushi too!

Fox and Hounds out by Holy Hill is also a nice place. Scenic drive on the way there, huge dinners, there must be like 5 courses to those. Bread/butter, then soup, then salad, then your entree, and dessert. Good stuff.

And Saz's on State St. is great too

wheelsofsteel
08-20-2008, 03:29 PM
For ‘take-out’ I love going to San Dong Express which is located right by my house, excellent Chinese food. I usually get the sweet/sour chicken and it's super nummy every single time :drool: . I used to work in the restaurant business and gained a lot of knowledge while doing so. As a result I'm very leery about how clean these types of places are, but I have never seen anything that would make me think twice about this place. Not to mention I'm always trying to find something to prove me otherwise as I stand there waiting for it but so far soo good.....:devil

You should branch out and try the Beijing Chicken next time you go. You will never go back to the sweet/sour chicken. It is not listed on the board above where you order. It is on the regular paper menu under specialties. Try it !!

Wings: Lately I have been hooked on Leff's LuckyTown on tuesday nights.

Burgers: Can't seem to bump Nite Owl from my #1 spot in this catagory.

Pizza: Yellow Wagon hit the nail right on the head... Flippos on Lincoln.

Irish
08-20-2008, 03:30 PM
^ never comes out anymore :(

JC70SS
08-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Mimma's on Brady
Botana's for Mexican
EE SANE Thai
Zaffiro's Pizza is by far the best in the city

Oh yes Oakland Gyros TOO!

Car Guy
08-20-2008, 03:59 PM
You should branch out and try the Beijing Chicken next time you go. You will never go back to the sweet/sour chicken. It is not listed on the board above where you order. It is on the regular paper menu under specialties. Try it !!

I'll have to give it a shot next time.....

Anakonda69
08-20-2008, 04:37 PM
another vote for golden gyros on 70th and lincoln........china hut on 51st and howard has excellent chinese food.

Karps TA
08-20-2008, 04:38 PM
MY Fav is probably The Packing House. I'd take that over Eddie Martinis, or Mr. B's anyday.

Holeshot
08-20-2008, 05:01 PM
That's Amore in Hales Corners
Forth Base on National ave
Carrabba's Italian Grill Brookfield and Greenfield
Open Flame Greenfield
The Packing House
Delafield Brew Haus

CobraSnake
08-20-2008, 05:13 PM
^^^ that last two guys must know good steak.

Mark

SSDude
08-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Fish Fry Wegners St Martins Inn Awsome cajun salmon!:)

Steak Jackson Grille 38th & Mitchel:drool:

Pizza Balistreri's 68th st. in Tosa great salads too.;)

Wings Maggo's hands down the best:headbang

Best beer selection and food Benno's in Stalllis:thumbsup

Nix
08-20-2008, 05:52 PM
In Germantown theres a pizza place called "Chucks Place", excellent pizza. You can't go wrong with either the deep dish or regular crust.

Also they have Cheese Balls that melt in your mouth.

Wayne since you live in Gtown now you should check them out. :thumbsup

jamest
08-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Maxie's Southern Comfort- Great southern food. Ribs are awesome.

http://www.maxies.com/milwaukee/index.html

lordairgtar
08-20-2008, 07:42 PM
Diamond Jim's on Janesville road near the boat shop in Hales Corners. Pricey, but very good. If you can't trust a fat guy about food, who can you trust.

moels
08-20-2008, 08:18 PM
This is a great list and helps greatly with date ideas. I use to go to Len Chin's on Good Hope ( It think ) and they had some good Chinese. Is it still there and does anyone else have an opinion on it?

1BadBytch
08-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Pieces of Eight - Downtown Milwaukee on the Lake Next to Art Museum

The Sunday Brunch is 2 Die 4 :drool:

lit666
08-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Best steaks is Butches downtown hands down.
Best Italian was Joeys. He is opening up a new one on Port Washington Rd North of Bayside.
Best pizza is Zaphiro's for sure.
chinese is the gourmet place in G town on Appleton ave just south of Main St.

I was talking to someone about a place names "Crawdads"? Anyone ever heard of it? They said it was pretty good.

This is a great list and helps greatly with date ideas. I use to go to Len Chin's on Good Hope ( It think ) and they had some good Chinese. Is it still there and does anyone else have an opinion on it?

Yes it's still there if you're talking about the one just east of 76th and Good Hope.

GRAMPS SS
08-20-2008, 09:02 PM
In Germantown theres a pizza place called "Chucks Place", excellent pizza. You can't go wrong with either the deep dish or regular crust.

Also they have Cheese Balls that melt in your mouth.

Wayne since you live in Gtown now you should check them out. :thumbsup

where is it in Germantown..:confused..WE TRIED that pizza joint in the strip mall on pilgrim..east side of the road before you get to mequon rd...NEVER AGAIN....if we go out to eat....we go outside of GTOWN...wanting to go to the new steak house in BELGUIM..HEARD IT'S GREAT

moels
08-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Went to a ribs place in Gtown a while back, I think it was Jerry's Ribs? Pretty darn good in my book. I have heard mixed reviews on Deano's Steakhouse in Belgium, but have yet to give it a try. I want to get there and try it out.

CobaltSSTuner
08-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Ned's Pizza!

Flicktitty
08-20-2008, 09:57 PM
Wings Maggo's hands down the best:headbang

where is this? i've had a taste for wings as of late.

Car Guy
08-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Well seeing is how three people have said they have the best wings in town I might have to try it myself.....

Magoo's Bar

8911 W National Ave
West Allis, WI 53227-1637
Phone: 414-329-1477

GRM-REPR
08-20-2008, 10:44 PM
where is it in Germantown..:confused..WE TRIED that pizza joint in the strip mall on pilgrim..east side of the road before you get to mequon rd...NEVER AGAIN....if we go out to eat....we go outside of GTOWN...wanting to go to the new steak house in BELGUIM..HEARD IT'S GREAT

Wayne, it's in Theinsville 406 N Main St Thiensville, WI 53092. Chucks place is consistently awarded best pizza in the Milwaukee Metro area. Thats a big statement considering how many pizza places there are around the area. Everything is great there. Like Nick said, try the cheese balls, they aren't like those shitty limp breaded mozz sticks most places serve.

Another couple of great pizza places is Di' Marinis in Bay View and Ned's on 27th (by Oklahoma) near Leons Custard.

Carabbas
Louises
Flemings
Boulder Junction
Matteos (waukesha)
Silver Spur (God rest it's soul)
Sarafinos (Layton by Venus Ford)
Rock Bottom
John Hawkes
Bartolota Steak House (177 and Capital)

Too many to list

lasttimearound
08-20-2008, 11:18 PM

i heard it was gone??

I like fratellos down in the 3rd ward, as well as riptide in the 3rd ward. otherwise, the best bar food ive had is johnnymos in south milwaukee.

pOrk
08-20-2008, 11:56 PM
safe house downtown awesome atmosphere
annes small but charning with great pizza

pOrk
08-21-2008, 12:00 AM
Ill never drink a rootbeer from rock bottm again, they brew it in house and it is just terrible

Wayne, it's in Theinsville 406 N Main St Thiensville, WI 53092. Chucks place is consistently awarded best pizza in the Milwaukee Metro area. Thats a big statement considering how many pizza places there are around the area. Everything is great there. Like Nick said, try the cheese balls, they aren't like those shitty limp breaded mozz sticks most places serve.

Another couple of great pizza places is Di' Marinis in Bay View and Ned's on 27th (by Oklahoma) near Leons Custard.

Carabbas
Louises
Flemings
Boulder Junction
Matteos (waukesha)
Silver Spur (God rest it's soul)
Sarafinos (Layton by Venus Ford)
Rock Bottom
John Hawkes
Bartolota Steak House (177 and Capital)

Too many to list

lordairgtar
08-21-2008, 12:01 AM
I was talking to someone about a place names "Crawdads"? Anyone ever heard of it? They said it was pretty good.

Crawdaddy's in Stallis. Cajun food

Voodoo Chick
08-21-2008, 12:38 AM
Heaven City is a verrrry good restaurant, but kinda pricey.

CobaltSSTuner
08-21-2008, 12:47 AM
crawdaddy's is good :)

boostaddict14
08-21-2008, 09:15 AM
Where is zaphiro's on brady? I can never find it.

GRM-REPR
08-21-2008, 09:20 AM
Ill never drink a rootbeer from rock bottm again, they brew it in house and it is just terrible

I've never had the root beer but in all honesty, their beer wasn't that good either. They gave me what they considered to be domestic and it tasted sour. The food is really good though, thats why I go...I'll avoid the root beer next time:rolf

Irish
08-21-2008, 11:19 AM
I've never had the root beer but in all honesty, their beer wasn't that good either. They gave me what they considered to be domestic and it tasted sour. The food is really good though, thats why I go...I'll avoid the root beer next time:rolf

MMMM Rock bottom Asiago Cheese dip FTW!

JC70SS
08-21-2008, 09:51 PM
Where is zaphiro's on brady? I can never find it.

It is on Farwell right near Webb's.

Korndogg
08-21-2008, 10:00 PM

x45billion

and the best part is, the more you drink, the more you get rewarded.

win/win

:thumbsup

Z You L8r
08-21-2008, 11:07 PM
Jerry's Olde Towne in Germantown has slipped abit since it transferred owners a few years back, still pretty good ribs.

The best steak is Coerpers 5 O Clock Supper Club on 24th and State. Terrible neighborhood but the best supper club atmosphere and steak in Milwaukee.

Best fish fry is Derangos in Racine at the junction of Highway 31 & 32.

Best new restaurant is the Milwaukee Ale House Grafton Location on 13th Avenue just south of Highway 60 along the Milwaukee River in Grafton, with two decks of outdoor seating overlooking the river.

Neal Steffek
01-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Just a heads up. If you have not gone there yet, AJ Bombers on Water has the best burgers in Milwaukee by far. No one else is even close.

lordairgtar
01-03-2010, 01:04 AM
Holy Crap, a post Irish forgot to delete.

eltness350
01-03-2010, 11:07 AM
My fav steak place - RAFTERS!! (27th and rawson)

A B4C Z
01-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Just a heads up. If you have not gone there yet, AJ Bombers on Water has the best burgers in Milwaukee by far. No one else is even close.

Very good. They remind me of culvers burgers.
For a good steak I would say Capital Grill mmmmm:drool:

pOrk
01-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Flat Top on hwy 100 in Tosa is awesome

xwing
01-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Steak: Corper's 5 O'Clock Club. Wow awesome filet, if you like rare they do it GREAT...thick, charred and warm outside, cold red inside! Potatoes are huge. Interior is 1960's like old movie (lol) but neat that way. Cost is medium, considering it's the best.
Mo's A Place For Steaks is cool downtown atmosphere and more a Milwaukee expensive/happening place to be, and has good food. Can be expensive.

Italian: Still liking That's Amore' alot.
DiCarlo in Oak Creek is great, and has a great bar area if you have to wait...very Chicago, granite bartop etc.

Thai: Bangkok House on Layton and Pennsylvania...like King & I downtown, but easier parking and nice owner/personnel/facility. Awesome food, good drinks, the BEST takeout!

DeRango's on Hwy 32 Racine is good local food, get alot of it.

93 Coupe
01-03-2010, 11:38 PM
For the best steak, Rafters. That is all.

Exitspeed
01-04-2010, 08:54 AM
You guys have to try Confucius House in Hales Corners. It just opened up about a month ago. It's DAMN good Chinese food. It's the opposite of all these cookie cutter take our/delivery places. The head Chef was voted one of the top 10 chefs in China in like 1996. You can tell the quality of the food is WAAAY better then your typical Chinese place.

TraceDaddy
01-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Maggiano's just got added to my list.

lasttimearound
01-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Flat Top on hwy 100 in Tosa is awesome

we eat there at least once a week. love that place.

xxsn0blindxx
01-04-2010, 07:02 PM

They went out of business a while ago. The guy who has rights to the land was trying to donate the use of it to UWM, but that fell through and now it is being renovated into a new restaurant.

For fine dining, Sanford's, Bachus and Lake Park Bistro are my favorite.

For brew pubs, Stonefly Brewery and St. Francis Brewery both have excellent beer and good food. Stonefly has some of the best burgers I have ever had and I'm picky about burgers.

I recommend Silver Spur for barbecue and they also have a great fish fry.

For Sushi it's hard to beat Izumi's, but Fujiyama is almost as good and a lot cheaper if you go on their discount nights.

Car Guy
01-04-2010, 07:05 PM
St. Francis Brewery has excellent beer and good food.

I had their wheat beer and it was VERY good, the burger was good too but nothing to go crazy about.....

Flicktitty
01-05-2010, 09:18 AM
i went to soblemans last week it's been voted milwaukees best burger since like 99? pretty damn good i must say.

i also tried out the Chocolate factory in pewaukee for there sandwiches they are awesome!

Exitspeed
01-05-2010, 09:44 AM
i went to soblemans last week it's been voted milwaukees best burger since like 99? pretty damn good i must say.

i also tried out the Chocolate factory in pewaukee for there sandwiches they are awesome!

Usually Solly's and Mazo's is considered the best burgers in the city. But I'm always down to try another "best burger in the city".

gottwins?
01-05-2010, 02:19 PM
I second San Dong Express, food is great, extremely clean, owner is cool...cant ask for more. Try their spicy seafood soup :thumbsup.

As far as mexican food, there is no good mexican places in wisconsin, unfortunatly if you want REAL good mexican food you have to go to chicago. Which is why I have to pick chipotle as my number one for mexican food, food is fresh and delicious how it should be.

Neal Steffek
01-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Usually Solly's and Mazo's is considered the best burgers in the city. But I'm always down to try another "best burger in the city".

2009 AJ Bombers won best burger from a lot of media places. I have been there a few times and damn, I agree. I am gettign hungry just thinking about them now. :drool:

Exitspeed
01-05-2010, 02:32 PM
I second San Dong Express, food is great, extremely clean, owner is cool...cant ask for more. Try their spicy seafood soup :thumbsup.

As far as mexican food, there is no good mexican places in wisconsin, unfortunatly if you want REAL good mexican food you have to go to chicago. Which is why I have to pick chipotle as my number one for mexican food, food is fresh and delicious how it should be.

I've been meaning to try San Dong for like 15 years and haven't gotten around to it.

And +1 on Mexican food in Milwaukee sucking. And WTF is that about anyway? We have one of the highest Hispanic populations outside of fuckin Mexico. What, do we have the laziest least entrepreneurial ones here?

2009 AJ Bombers won best burger from a lot of media places. I have been there a few times and damn, I agree. I am gettign hungry just thinking about them now. :drool:

I've never been. I'll have to give that a try.

PureSound15
01-05-2010, 02:40 PM
And +1 on Mexican food in Milwaukee sucking. And WTF is that about anyway? We have one of the highest Hispanic populations outside of fuckin Mexico.

Where in the hell did you get that information?

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/peo_tot_his_pop-people-total-hispanic-population

22nd?

Exitspeed
01-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Where in the hell did you get that information?

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/peo_tot_his_pop-people-total-hispanic-population

22nd?

It's still pretty high, Mr. Fact-Master. :goof

295,416 Hispanic people and not one can open a decent Mexican restaurant? Lame.

gottwins?
01-05-2010, 02:52 PM
I've been meaning to try San Dong for like 15 years and haven't gotten around to it.

And +1 on Mexican food in Milwaukee sucking. And WTF is that about anyway? We have one of the highest Hispanic populations outside of fuckin Mexico. What, do we have the laziest least entrepreneurial ones here?

Try it once, I sometimes go there at night when they are about to close and get to see how thoroughly they clean the kitchen (most of it is in view so you can actually watch them make your food). They also have their newspaper ads and TV reviews posted up of their accomplishments :thumbsup

As far as the mexican restaurants, I think its all about money. They use cheap generic food, cut the meats for tacos into smaller squares to fit more and usually have it pre-cut in a barrel so you can scoop it out and cook it. Saves time and money and many around here are satisfied with it. Sometimes I even wonder if they use ketchup in their friggin shrimp cocktails. I have been playing around with the idea of starting a mexican place and following the chipotle trend which is good fresh tasting food.

The meats for tacos would be done the right way which is on a "pina" like the greeks do it with gyro meats. (red meat as an example)
http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp249/chillin4daday/tacos-al-pastor.jpg

Also I would have imported from california fresh salt water fish for ceviche and shrimp cocktails.
http://www.mexicovacationtravels.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/cevchedecamaronzanzibar.jpg

mmmm...yeah....

PureSound15
01-05-2010, 03:01 PM
It's still pretty high, Mr. Fact-Master. :goof

295,416 Hispanic people and not one can open a decent Mexican restaurant? Lame.

sorry - it came off as a dick comment. I just couldn't believe that Wisconsin has a high density of hispanics.

Exitspeed
01-05-2010, 03:26 PM
sorry - it came off as a dick comment. I just couldn't believe that Wisconsin has a high density of hispanics.

No prob. :thumbsup I thought I heard that once.

jbiscuit
01-05-2010, 03:59 PM
we need taco trucks...that is where its at! I agree that almost all mexican food in the area is horrible. Best reason to go to southern california is to eat nothing but homemade chips, salsa and the best tacos ever

Exitspeed
01-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Anyone eat at El Rey's? I ate there like 8 years ago but haven't tried it since. Can't remember how it was actually.

gottwins?
01-05-2010, 04:21 PM
we need taco trucks...that is where its at! I agree that almost all mexican food in the area is horrible. Best reason to go to southern california is to eat nothing but homemade chips, salsa and the best tacos ever

Amen.

gottwins?
01-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Anyone eat at El Rey's? I ate there like 8 years ago but haven't tried it since. Can't remember how it was actually.

Crap. Good place to go if you want the good ingredients to make it though.

I guess the fact that my mexican grandma lives with me makes me spoiled, I can hook you up with a good dish for like $4 :P

lordairgtar
01-05-2010, 05:19 PM
I think the best Taco I ever had was at a salvage yard in Santa Barbara. I was looking for a transmission for my 54 Chebbie and the dude that ran the place always had food going and offered the taco to his customers. What it was is a thin slab of steak in a soft tort with cheese and salsa and some jalapenoes. Awesomely good! There used to be a small family run place near 10th and maple that you would never think was there. Awesome good food and I cannot remember the darned name. A woman and her two teen daughters ran it.

lordairgtar
01-05-2010, 05:27 PM
I had a free certificate for Topper's Pizza that I finally used. Never again. By far the worst Pizza I ever ate. I get frozen pizzas from the store that tasted better. Yuck! The topper stix weren't too bad though.

jbiscuit
01-05-2010, 05:39 PM
The Downtown Cafe in El Cajon, Calif. has outstanding fish tacos...fresh yellow corn tortillas made right there. Rubios has awesome tacos as well. They are known for their fish tacos....the originators. El Indio in San Diego has the best chips N salsa on the planet. They use a 50 year old tortilla press that you can watch work. Tito's Taco's in Culver City is the shizzz too

T-Bag
01-05-2010, 06:14 PM

That's not counting illegal immigrants. We have a large amount of illegals...but it still probably doesn't even come close to the souther state's legal population of hispanics.

Larrygto
01-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Has anyone tried the Horny Goat? I've got a coupon and wonder if it's worth cashing in.

gottwins?
01-05-2010, 06:34 PM
The Downtown Cafe in El Cajon, Calif. has outstanding fish tacos...fresh yellow corn tortillas made right there. Rubios has awesome tacos as well. They are known for their fish tacos....the originators. El Indio in San Diego has the best chips N salsa on the planet. They use a 50 year old tortilla press that you can watch work. Tito's Taco's in Culver City is the shizzz too

I see you know your tacos! This is not helping my new years resolution LOL. I just find it sad that La Perla is "number 1"...very sad, they make good margaritas i suppose.

If you want good sea food california is another top place to go, awesome having the pacific ocean next door. Eating some fish tacos, drinking a Sol at the beach...sigh... :drool:

Road trip anyone? ........seriously im trying to score some charger playoff tickets and go over there :-P

SSDude
01-05-2010, 09:35 PM

El Rey on 35th and Burnham is pretty good. Quick, generous, cheap and tasty. Better than half the Mexican places in town. Barbacoa is good on the weekend.
Antigua on 58th and Burnham is a nicer upscale Mexican/Latin menu.

JC70SS
01-05-2010, 10:13 PM
botanas

1320PNY
01-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Has anyone tried the Horny Goat? I've got a coupon and wonder if it's worth cashing in.

Yep. I really like their lightest beer, which is odd because I usually drink Guiness. Also, they have a cheese dip appetizer that rocks. A friend got a burger and he was there about 5 times already, so I would say it's a safe bet.

SSDude
01-06-2010, 05:21 AM
we need taco trucks...that is where its at!

Word from a Mexican guy I work with is the taco truck on 27th St by St Lukes hospital is one he likes. Have yet to try it.

Another he recommended and we tried that was very good is
El Sen.'orial 1901 S 31st St

All the trendy places around Walkers point and Brookfield will feed you the Americanized crap

jbiscuit
01-06-2010, 07:50 AM
I'll be looking for that taco truck. I would bet that is really good authentic mexican food too if its down there due to the high mexican-american population in that area. Mmmm asada tacos :drool: In Racine there is La Tapatia Mexican Grocery which last I heard is still open. Located on Mead right in the center of the hood. Best tacos back in the day but still no homemade chips. My buddy Frank and I used to eat there for lunch in high school twice a week :thumbsup

Exitspeed
01-06-2010, 08:47 AM
Taco City was actually pretty good back in the day when they were on 27th and 76th street.

PureSound15
01-06-2010, 09:19 AM
That's not counting illegal immigrants. We have a large amount of illegals...but it still probably doesn't even come close to the souther state's legal population of hispanics.

I'm confused - one would think that the ratio of illegal to legal would be about he same throughout the states, if not concentrated in the south.

We have one of the highest Hispanic populations outside of fuckin Mexico.

But who cares anyway - I love me some Mexican food!

T-Bag
01-06-2010, 09:41 AM
I'm confused - one would think that the ratio of illegal to legal would be about he same throughout the states, if not concentrated in the south.

But who cares anyway - I love me some Mexican food!

You're right on that one, depending on how many landscaping companies are in a state :goof

That_Guy
01-06-2010, 10:37 AM
bucca's

Want_Notch
01-06-2010, 11:05 AM
bucca's

x2

TraceDaddy
01-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Taco Tuesday's at Cozy Inn. Outstanding! Joyce makes a mean taco.

pOrk
03-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Kick ass Mexican restaurant on hwy 100 called Habaneros, best mexican in town

jbiscuit
03-25-2010, 08:47 PM
^ fail. Much better Mexican food to be had. Milwaukee is lacking good quality Mexican food as a whole. I gave that place 2 chances to impress and both times it sucked. Poor service being the main issue. Hectors is another place that was recommended which IMO is terrible

1320PNY
03-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Gotta go with Pork. Habaneros was really good. Gotta ask the waiter to recommend something. We both got separate recommendations based on our input to him and Amy and I both loved our meals. I got the second special on the menu, pork something, but it was awesome.

Al
12-05-2010, 03:21 AM
Mexican; Conejitos. Something about cheap tasty food on paper plates 5 minutes after ordering that makes this place my fav. Three beef enchiladas with rice and beans plate ftw!

Thread resurection!

I went to Conejitos. Very good food, good prices and nice people. I didn't realize it was the place mentioned in this thread until they served my food on a paper plate.

jbiscuit
12-05-2010, 07:39 AM
I too forgot this thread and ventured to La Tapatia in Racine after a morning of fishing the break waters down there. The asada tacos are still killer! The place was packed at 2pm with carryout orders. Delicious. Will have to get to Conejitos

JC70SS
12-05-2010, 08:57 AM
conojetos has more health violations than I care to remember. I agree J Habeneros sucks and Hectors is even worse!

jamestown478
12-05-2010, 03:25 PM
open flame on hwy100.

jbiscuit
12-05-2010, 03:49 PM
and Hectors is even worse!

Hectors is some of the shittiest Mexican food in the greater Milwaukee area yet people still continue to go here? Couldn't even eat half of my burrito the one time I ate there it was so nasty. They even screwed up chips and salsa.

Guadalupe's or whatever its called just west of Highway 100 on Bluemound Rd is awful also. The place was literally freezing in there when we tried it. I had gotten a gift certificate from a client of mine so figured it was worth trying...boy was I wrong. It wasn't even worth a FREE dinner it was so bad.

Margarita Paradise on 110th and National Ave is horrendous also. Not sure how this place is even open still. Yet another place that is busy on Friday nights. I told the waitress at this place that my food was cold, the tortillas were stale, the lettuce was browning and I wanted my meal comped since I didn't even eat it...I ate chips and salsa and their solution was to pay for our drinks...I had a Corona and my buddy had a water :rolf :rolf

PB86MCSS
12-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Wow, I always come away feeling all Mexican food is roughly the same. Never had a meal I hated nor one that is all that memorable. Some strong feelings on here for some :D .

jbiscuit
12-05-2010, 04:02 PM
for a dynamite burger, go to The Brass Monkey on 119th and Greenfield. On Thursdays they have build your own burger for like $3.50 + toppings...get it anyway you like it. After having AJ Bombers, Sobelmans, I still say the Monkey's burger beats them both. Excellent patty with a good bun, awesome fries (the fries are an important part of the burger experience) and the fact you can get grilled jalapeños on it makes it a winner. A Lakefront Riverwest Stein goes well with it!

Went to The Milwaukee Ale House last night for dinner and not only do they have a great menu, but their fresh beers make it a great dinner spot in my book. Go for the pot roast if you like pot roast....stewed in their Stout and served with garlic mashed taters and veggies its an amazing dish. The pot pie is killer also and is enough food for 3 people. If you like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, the Milwaukee Brewing Pull Chain Pale Ale is a similar brew....and delicious!

jbiscuit
12-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Wow, I always come away feeling all Mexican food is roughly the same. Never had a meal I hated nor one that is all that memorable. Some strong feelings on here for some :D .

That is because 98% of all Mexican food in the area is mediocre at best. Once you have had GREAT Mexican food you will see what I mean. SE WI is lacking BIG time. We need a few joints to open up serving fresh seafood, fresh tortillas, a salsa bar etc like they do on the west coast. I think fried fish tacos would go over well considering Wisconsin's love for everything fried yet not many places are including them on the menu or if they are they manage to screw them up. Fried fish, fresh corn tortillas doubled up, shredded cabbage, the white sauce and a salsa bar. Shit, even Rubios fast food Mexican on the west coast makes a better taco than most around here! :rolf

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/BurningSensation/rubios_fish_taco.jpg

Al
12-05-2010, 06:48 PM
What is the name of the Mexican restaurant where Mexicans actually go to it?

eltness350
12-05-2010, 08:04 PM
botanas?

TransAm12sec
12-06-2010, 12:47 AM
I was there last month. It was fun.

lordairgtar
12-06-2010, 06:17 PM
A new Mexican place opened in Meno Falls. Su Casa I think it's called. On Appleton near where the Classic lanes bowling alley is

Prince Valiant
12-06-2010, 07:19 PM
A new Mexican place opened in Meno Falls. Su Casa I think it's called. On Appleton near where the Classic lanes bowling alley isActually Su Casa's is an old place in a new location. They used to be a 1/2 mile up the road in the strip mall by sentry's and banner craft (or whatever store that is there).

As far as the food, it's okay for close by Mexican; Not the best, not the worst.

It does appear that they've revamped their menu w/ the move though, or at least improved the presentation to go along with the shiny new digs they're at.

My parents like the place for when they don't feel like driving downtown...but in it's old location, it wasn't all that special.

Not that it helps the thread at all, but I've always like many of the downtown/5th ward mexican resturaunts...BUT, I swear; went to Los Angeles and had some of the best mexican food I've ever had. It was a whole new level out there...places like Botanas didn't even compare. Not that I think the food back here was bad...but wow. Not all Mexican food is created equal, that's for sure.

jbiscuit
12-07-2010, 09:33 AM
^ This. LA has some of the best Mexican food anywhere period. Even the taco carts and trucks have killer mexican food. There is a cart on La Brea in LA that has the BEST asada tacos I have ever had....from a sidewalk cart!! Served with sliced and grilled jalapenos, grilled onions and fresh guac and like all west coast tacos on a doubled up corn tortilla garnished with a lime served in tin foil. AMAZING. Wash it down with a Jarrito Mexican soda in the bottle...MMMMMMMmmmmm.

JC70SS
12-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Su Casa=fail

PB86MCSS
12-07-2010, 12:11 PM
I don't doubt the food is better out there but I've always found food tastes better on vacation.

lordairgtar
12-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Having lived in California, I can say that the Mexican cuisine is pretty good and varied there.