PDA

View Full Version : computer guru question again

05caddyext
08-17-2008, 09:18 PM
I am using a Netgear rangemax wn111 usb 2.0 adapter to make my desktop a wireless unit. It works just fine, has a 99% connection. Problem is this- I can't turn the computer on with it plugged in. It plugs into a usb port on the computer with a cord. You can connect it directly to the computer, but I have it on the cord that came with it to extend the range closer to my wireless router which is in the basement, I am on the first floor. Is there some reason why the computer won't turn on? It hangs on the blue startup screen before windows xp starts. As soon as you unplug it, the computer starts up like normal. WTF??

ND4SPD
08-17-2008, 09:34 PM
I've noticed this with Flash Drives from time to time as well. What you can try doing is going into the computer's BIOS setup (hit F2 or Delete) when the computer's starting up. Then you'll want to try to find a selection for Boot settings. Your goal would be to disable booting from USB devices.

05caddyext
08-18-2008, 12:21 PM
Won't that stop the device from loading though? I still need it to load every time I start the computer, you can't manually start it once the computer is on.

Here is another weird one. My computer won't run 2 external hard-drives at one time. If I plug another in, it shuts off the first one. Whats the deal?

Mr. Brett
08-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Won't that stop the device from loading though?

No.

ND4SPD
08-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Won't that stop the device from loading though? I still need it to load every time I start the computer, you can't manually start it once the computer is on.

Here is another weird one. My computer won't run 2 external hard-drives at one time. If I plug another in, it shuts off the first one. Whats the deal?

Starting to sound like you have some sort of issue with your USB ports. What kind of computer is this?