PDA

View Full Version : 85 Monte SS Trans ?

Burgandy85SS
08-17-2008, 04:20 PM
After driving the car for a long period of time or after a freeway trip especially if its hot out the transmission will shift funny, it will go into second a little early smothly but not normally then shifts into third again early and jerks the car then followed by fourth which again is way too soon for fourth gear and also gives the car a jerking or bucking feel and all this happens under 30-35 mph.
This doesnt happen all the time sometimes if shifts perfect and others as i described. If I stop and let it cool for a few min then its fine for a while.
Every time it starts doin it I try to have someone drive it then its fine for a while or weeks then acts up again so any help or ideas would be great. Also someone mentioned it could be the modulator valve?
Thanks in advance this has been pissin me off all summer.

shawn
08-17-2008, 05:00 PM
maybe its just time for a tranny flush, and a new filter. had the same thing happen to me with a older mc that i used to have. never happen again after the tranny flush

wrath
08-17-2008, 06:34 PM
My Mom has an 86. My Dad tracked it down to the crappy computer arguing with the EGR system. But, he'd monkeyed with tons of crap up until that point.

The transmission is kind of peculiar on hers also. From mile number 4 it has always spun the tires when putting it into reverse.

BadAzzGTA89
08-17-2008, 09:55 PM
Check the TV cable for slack or mis adjustment !!

PB86MCSS
08-19-2008, 07:09 PM
TCC solenoid! Really common problem with the 2004r.

http://www.montecarloss.com/TCC_Solenoid.html

Burgandy85SS
08-19-2008, 10:47 PM
Thanks for all the responses, The tranny fluid was changed a few years ago less than 5000 miles.
Paul, very interesting and informative article on MCSS.com Hopefully I fix this problem soon Id like to drive it up north this fall and down to beloit in september.

PB86MCSS
08-20-2008, 12:21 AM
Let us know what it is, if its the TCC or not. IIRC had the TCC replaced in my SS as a precaution when the tranny had a shift kit installed way way back in 99' or 00'...that thing really should get built up one of these years. The LS tranny lost 4th gear the fall after purchase so it was re-built by Jimmy's in Mundelein, I think the TCC was replaced at that time too. I know its been a real common issue though for alot with the 200-4r, at least MCSS owners have had issues.