PDA

View Full Version : Homeowner related question....

67-400
08-17-2008, 03:11 PM
I am having a problem with my sump pump pit filling constantly, though it hasn't rained in weeks. As I do the wash now, it is filling very rapidly. I even see a small amount of soap suds in the pit. I go down to the basement and it smells like sewer and the aroma is migrating its way upstairs. Though, I am thankful that the sump pump is kicking on often enough as it should to discharge all the water to the outside of the house, i just don't think this is normal??

I thought the sump pump is for "Drain water" soaked up in the foundation of the house usually sourcing from rain. Then the sewer water (wash machine water, sink water, shower water, toilet bowl water etc.) is a completely different system, routed through the city pipelines and not in any way shape or form connected to the sump pump pit??

Your thoughts please? Thank you.

Sprayaway Fox
08-17-2008, 03:24 PM
I looked at houses that the washer was hooked up into sump pump and kicked it outside. It is the not the rite way to hook it up but people sometimes do it to sell a house. Makes the backyard where it comes out all soggy. Dont know if just moved in but if its kicking it outside thats not good.

Sprayaway Fox
08-17-2008, 04:00 PM
PS I have a well setup, with a Septic, My washer kicks it into a pit then sump kicks it into septic. I knew when I was looking at "Redone Houses" a lot of ones kicked it outside which killed the grass or made the ground mushy. If you do laundry alot I would change the setup. Not a plummer, just my reccomendation though:thumbsup

4eyedstang
08-17-2008, 04:14 PM
it sounds like you my have a broken drain pipe under the foundation to me. if you can smell sewage. that would make its way to the sum pit. i would suggest you hire a plumer and have them run a camera thru the main drain line. they charge about $80 and it will show you any problems

PonyKiller87
08-17-2008, 04:35 PM
it sounds like you my have a broken drain pipe under the foundation to me. if you can smell sewage. that would make its way to the sum pit. i would suggest you hire a plumer and have them run a camera thru the main drain line. they charge about $80 and it will show you any problems

X2 And you don't want to let this go for to long, it will just get worse and worse if it is in fact a broken sewer main. Could cause heaving and cracking of your basement floor or worse.

67-400
08-19-2008, 09:31 AM
I contacted a plumber yesterday, he recommended starting off by "Cleaning the sewer pipes" at a cost of $400 + $300 for sending a camera down the pipes. :rolleyes: I told him thanks, but no thanks. I contacted Roto Rooter & they stopped out & did it for $225. :rolf It turned out that the pipe running from my house to the City sewer pipes (located at the border of my back yard) was clogged by a massive root from a tree that was in my back yard up until last year. He snaked it with a giant cutter & unleashed the clog.

Turns out that all the "Overflow" that was backed up because of this root was re-routed into the sump pump pit. :puke Similar to that of an automobile coolant system, you have the "Over-flow tank." He said the way older houses were designed like that, so it doesn't come burping up through the floor drain causing a mess. Problem solved, everything runs free & no more overflow! :thumbsup

Windsors 03 Cobra
08-19-2008, 09:43 AM
I always thought that tile/pipe that was draining into your sump pump crock was there in case the sump pump died the water would start going into the sewer instead of into the basement, so your sewer lateral to the street was clogged and the water was seeking the lowest level which happened to be the sump crock ?
As they say "shit runs downhill" :rolf

That was the way the 1 home I lived in with a sump pump. The foundation drain tiles where like 30'' deep and the city sewer drain was like 10'' deep.
I was picking up my child from daycare yesterday and the neighbor there (new homes) sump pump kicked on and sprayed all over the driveway, I thought of your problem and how it hasn't rained in awhile and its 85, sunny, hot and dry. :D

PonyKiller87
08-19-2008, 10:12 AM
I contacted a plumber yesterday, he recommended starting off by "Cleaning the sewer pipes" at a cost of $400 + $300 for sending a camera down the pipes. :rolleyes: I told him thanks, but no thanks. I contacted Roto Rooter & they stopped out & did it for $225. :rolf It turned out that the pipe running from my house to the City sewer pipes (located at the border of my back yard) was clogged by a massive root from a tree that was in my back yard up until last year. He snaked it with a giant cutter & unleashed the clog.

Turns out that all the "Overflow" that was backed up because of this root was re-routed into the sump pump pit. :puke Similar to that of an automobile coolant system, you have the "Over-flow tank." He said the way older houses were designed like that, so it doesn't come burping up through the floor drain causing a mess. Problem solved, everything runs free & no more overflow! :thumbsup

You may be good for now but it could become a problem again down the road. The sewer pipe exiting your house going to the city sewer is a solid pipe. So if a root clogged it that means the pipe has a crack or a whole in it. As long as the pipe is clear its ok because its easier for the stuff to flow through the pipe than through the crack into the ground. But any time that pipe gets blocked up you will start to have problems, or worse if the city sewer backs up you will be screwed.

The sump pump collects water from the drain tile that runs around the foundation of your house. This is ment to keep the dirt around the foundation dry and stable and keep water from seeping up through the floor. So if it is pumping sewage that means you have sewage in the ground which only happens when things are broken.