PDA

View Full Version : need some help with my toilet

Silver86
08-16-2008, 04:10 PM
after re-doing our bathroom, i noticed that the toilet was loose and would rock when you would sit. so i checked the nuts on either side of the toilet, and they were fairly loose... how tight are those nuts supposed to be?

Heat Seeker WS6
08-16-2008, 04:19 PM
Yeah, I'd definately tighten those. When Coop comes over & leaves an upper decker, it'll tip over for sure :goof

Silver86
08-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Yeah, I'd definately tighten those. When Coop comes over & leaves an upper decker, it'll tip over for sure :goof

for sure! but i also dont want to over tighten them... snug would you say?

Holeshot
08-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Should be fairly tight. Don't crack the porcelain but it shouldn't rock.

Heat Seeker WS6
08-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Id guess snug with a lock washer?

Silver86
08-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Id guess snug with a lock washer?

no lock washers present, but it is bolted down with nuts with nylon inserts... forget what theyre called... locknuts?

BadAzzGTA89
08-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Called nylocks and they should be snug!

PonyKiller87
08-16-2008, 06:12 PM
It just lostened up because the weight of the toilet itself isnt enough to fully seat the wax ring, it takes a couple sittings for it to compress all the way.

lordairgtar
08-16-2008, 07:26 PM
It just lostened up because the weight of the toilet itself isnt enough to fully seat the wax ring, it takes a couple sittings for it to compress all the way.
Sittings? I guarantee that if I sit on his toilet, it will compress that wax ring. I will not be responsible for any upper deckers or grogans or scatter blasters I leave behind. Those are yours to deal with.

Silver86
08-17-2008, 05:30 AM

we didnt touch the toilet when we re-did the bathroom...

also... when i was snugging one of the bolts down, there was this substance oozing up from under the bolt... not really sure how to describe it, it was brown... and kinda waxy... i dont think it would be part of the wax ring, cause doesnt that not sit near the bolts?

edit: now after watching a video on youtube about installing a toilet, i think that may be part of the wax ring oozing up through...

SSDude
08-17-2008, 07:52 AM
Definitely the wax ring.

Lash
08-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Get a new wax ring and seat it back down.

whistlin six
08-17-2008, 09:42 AM
I highly recommend you start over and put a new wax ring. If the
toilet lossens up it will likely ruin the "one time" seal on the wax ring.
Then you run the risk of the toilet leaking onto the floor, and below the
floor every time you flush. It can get nasty.

A new wax ring is only about $5 plus the install time, well worth the
peace of mind knowing it's not leaking underneath.

I can talk you through the whole procedure if you want, let me know.

CATNHAT
08-17-2008, 09:52 AM
also... when i was snugging one of the bolts down, there was this substance oozing up from under the bolt... not really sure how to describe it, it was brown... and kinda waxy... i dont think it would be part of the wax ring, cause doesnt that not sit near the bolts?

That was actually old fecal matter that had built up under the toilet from years of hot chili steamers blasting down the toilet. That was turd residue on your fingers.

Yummy!

That_Guy
08-17-2008, 09:54 AM
snug the nuts then caulk around the toilet.

you may have to pull the toilet and place a new wax ring...

Lash
08-17-2008, 09:57 AM
snug the nuts then caulk around the toilet.

you may have to pull the toilet and place a new wax ring...

Do not caulk around the toilet!!!!

That_Guy
08-17-2008, 10:00 AM
Do not caulk around the toilet!!!!

o really why? if its a tile floor and the floor is uneven this is the only way to make the toilet not wable.. even if its snugged down

Lash
08-17-2008, 10:06 AM
o really why? if its a tile floor and the floor is uneven this is the only way to make the toilet not wable.. even if its snugged down

Because if it leaks it will hold water!!!

It will take you a lot longer to notice the leak if it's caulked.
People will usually caulk around the toilet when they don't know about the wax ring...or when they are trying to hide something.

That_Guy
08-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Because if it leaks it will hold water!!!

It will take you a lot longer to notice the leak if it's caulked.
People will usually caulk around the toilet when they don't know about the wax ring...or when they are trying to hide something.

ill agree with you some... regardless he should probly pull the toilet and put a new wax ring down it couldnt hurt.

Windsors 03 Cobra
08-17-2008, 10:16 AM
I would run it for a day or 2 and see if it leaks, if the wax ring is leaking it will be very evident with the amount of leakage.
Sounds like the flange and bolts are still holding and that the wax ring is still intact.

It is hard to argue with spending $5 and and hour changing the wax ring just to know its right.

whitepony
08-17-2008, 10:17 AM
Anyone know a good plumber? Someone who does this for a living?

That_Guy
08-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Anyone know a good plumber? Someone who does this for a living?

. im sure any one of us are willing to come over and give you a hand.. if you do it right it should take 20 min.. and save you $$$

i can walk you though it..

step one.. shut off water to toilet.. "valve behind"

step two... flush toilet.. to drain tank

step three... get a small cup or a large sponge and get the water out of the bowl..

step four.. un blot the toilet from the collar and unbolt the toilet from the valve.

step five grab the toilet just behind the bowl not the tank lift strait up and walk it to the tub.. make sure something is in the tub..

STEP 6... then remove the wax ring form the toilet and the collar.. place new wax ring eithe on the toilet or on the collar reverse steps 5-1..

if you want i can come give you a hand its rather easy

Silver86
08-17-2008, 02:36 PM
shes not leaking... ill give her a few days and keep an eye on it...

whitepony
08-17-2008, 03:35 PM
I need a plumber for some other stuff if anyone knows/is one... the jobs aren't hard i don't think but i don't know how to do them.

Windsors 03 Cobra
08-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Is WhitePony and Silver 86 husband and wife or no ?

whitepony
08-17-2008, 08:18 PM
eewww marry that fool????
lol....j/k
http://a458.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/60/m_572fa65b6bbb2f75bc78616d1fdc7e29.jpg

Silver86
08-18-2008, 05:16 AM
eewww marry that fool????
lol....j/k
http://a458.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/60/m_572fa65b6bbb2f75bc78616d1fdc7e29.jpg

dont even woman! :shades

whitepony
08-18-2008, 10:29 AM
lol

moels
08-18-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm replacing the toilet in the 1/2 bath today. Pulled it out in 5 minutes and gonna head out to get a new one in a bit. Make sure you seat the new wax ring good and don't over-tighten the nuts. I have cracked one in my time, and it isn't a good feeling.

wikked
08-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Make sure you scrape off all of the old wax as well... don't just plop the new ring over the old compressed goop.

PonyKiller87
08-18-2008, 12:16 PM
. im sure any one of us are willing to come over and give you a hand.. if you do it right it should take 20 min.. and save you $$$

i can walk you though it..

step one.. shut off water to toilet.. "valve behind"

step two... flush toilet.. to drain tank

step three... get a small cup or a large sponge and get the water out of the bowl..

step four.. un blot the toilet from the collar and unbolt the toilet from the valve.

step five grab the toilet just behind the bowl not the tank lift strait up and walk it to the tub.. make sure something is in the tub..

STEP 6... then remove the wax ring form the toilet and the collar.. place new wax ring eithe on the toilet or on the collar reverse steps 5-1..

if you want i can come give you a hand its rather easy

You forgot the step before step one: Step zero - have your woman clean the toilet so you dont get $hit on your hands while your working on it. :thumbsup

another thing, Home Depot sells synthetic wax rings now, I've heard from a few people now that they suck and to steer clear of them.