PDA

View Full Version : screen savers and backgrounds help

lordairgtar
08-16-2008, 07:30 AM
After Yellow Wagon posted the pic with the retro cars, I thought it would be cool to have it on my monitor. When I turned on my PC this morning, it was gone. It's been like this for any background I choose. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? I really would like something on the screen besides a yellow background and the icons. What do I do to fix that? I know it's a minor thing, but it annoys me that I can't keep a background.

JC70SS
08-16-2008, 07:58 AM
right click on the picture, then left click on set as background

ND4SPD
08-16-2008, 08:18 AM
It shouldn't revert/vanish when you shut the computer off... If you go into your C:\Windows\ directory... you should be able to find that picture. Then as JC7 said, you can right click on it and hit "Set as desktop background". Now as to why your computer is dumping the images when you restart... it might be that your computer is infected with a virus or you might have an antivirus program that prevents the background from being changed. Have you experienced any other weird behavior? Pop-ups, homepage being changed, anything like that?

lordairgtar
08-16-2008, 07:17 PM
No , nothing weird except when one particular person from a model car forum I am on posts pics, I can't see his...only his, everyone else I can see. I also cannot email a person off a posted link, I have to copy his email to my AIM buddy list. I then can email the person. Otherwise it just comes back aol.com server not found. I have RR as my provider and use AOL as my home page. My email is through AOL as well. I am such a tard when it comes to computer stuff.

Cryptic
08-16-2008, 07:26 PM
I hate it when people car backgrounds or wallpaper a "Screen Saver". It just erks me.

A screen saver is like the fish tank theme that constantly moves, thus "Saves your screen" from burn in.

lordairgtar
08-16-2008, 07:29 PM
'scuse me, but no one mentioned "screen saver".

Cryptic
08-16-2008, 07:31 PM
its the bloody title of the thread...
I but I ment just in general... not here specifically.

lordairgtar
08-16-2008, 07:38 PM
I know the title mentions it, I forgot to mention that screen savers generally stay...I know what they are.

ND4SPD
08-17-2008, 01:21 PM
1. Get rid of that AOL stuff... go into your "add/remove programs" in your control panel and uninstall everything that says AOL (except AIM).

2. Try a different browser (www.getfirefox.com) and try your car forum and see if the images are still blocked. If so, something is blocking that site, whether it be your router or internet security software.

Silver86
08-17-2008, 02:39 PM
+1 for firefox!

lordairgtar
08-17-2008, 09:18 PM
I have Firefox. If I get rid of the AOL, do I have to change my email address?

ND4SPD
08-17-2008, 09:43 PM
You should still be able to access your AOL email through the web browser (I figured that's what you were doing in the first place, but maybe not).

By the way, if you're a real Microshaft hater, you can also download Apple's Safari browser (for Windows).

lordairgtar
08-17-2008, 11:37 PM
I tried to remove the AOL and it won't go away.

Russ Jerome
08-18-2008, 12:26 AM
I tried to remove the AOL and it won't go away.

I've been a long time aol user and hater, getting rid of
all AOL programs is like getting rid of being ugly.......
may as well get a new face and computer :)

Im typing this from my new laptop that is 100% aol
delete, I miss minimizing one screen to open another
with one click. Logging onto aol from IE is slow to
check your mail.

CarrotTop
08-18-2008, 10:38 AM
If it wont go away when you use add or remove programs. (Start->settings->Control Panel->Add or Remove Programs.

Download. CCleaner. You should be able to remove it then.

lordairgtar
08-18-2008, 11:57 AM
My computer is fighting me, I give up. I can't even find the remove/install thingy on my control panel. It used to be there, now it's not. If this thing starts calling me Dave, I'm outa here.

ND4SPD
08-18-2008, 01:55 PM
You could try downloading Advanced Uninstaller Pro and give that a whirl. It can remove stuff that doesn't show up in the Add/Remove programs area.

http://www.innovative-sol.com/uninstaller/

If that don't work, you can PM me if you want a quote for looking at your computer and getting it running right.