PDA

View Full Version : Pickle Juice Sports drink.

Nix
08-11-2008, 12:13 PM
What do you people think of this?

I picked up a bottle of it at State Fair this past weekend. I have yet to sample it, it has been sitting in my fridge.

Maybe I will try it tonight and get back to you on how it really does taste.

All in all it makes sense and has been studied and shows true. But I still have a hard time getting past the idea of drinking flippin' Pickle Juice vs water/gatorade.

Discuss/ Comments?

http://goldenpicklejuice.com/?pjsid=3

07ROUSHSTG3
08-11-2008, 12:15 PM
I too have heard of the drinking pickle juice thing, but i don't think i could ever do it. i like pickels, but to drink the juice straight is disgusting IMO.

CobraSnake
08-11-2008, 12:33 PM
I hate pickles thus I hate their juices

kornholio788
08-11-2008, 12:34 PM
I hate pickles thus I hate their juices
Werd. GF loves pickles and I can't even stand the smell of them.

Prince Valiant
08-11-2008, 12:38 PM
It's junk...it's no good, or I should say, no more effective than water...and is likely worse.

If you drink a salty drink, you actually speed up cellular dehydration...when you drink too much salt, the water molecules in the cells are drawn out via osmosis...too much cellular dehydration, and the cells can't carry out their functions properly and even death can result...proof of this comes from observance of when people consume only salt-water.

PJ probably isn't at that level of concentration, so it's not dangerous...but it's very unlikely to be effective. I laugh that it brags about having "10x's the electrolytes"...because getting electrolytes into a drink isn't a problem...hell, one can get 10-100x more than PJ contains in a drink if they wanted.

The problem is the balance of electrolytes. Too much, and you're electrolyte composistion goes up relative to the what your body naturally contains, water is drawn out of cells, effectively speeding dehydration. Too little, and you aren't replacing electrolytes quickly enough...but this is less a problem.

Water is still proven to be the best in terms of hydration...cool water is absorbed the quickest.

I loved how the article (apparently from a psychology dept?!?) talked authoritatively on the causes of heat/muscle cramps...truth is, we don't KNOW what causes them.

Judge the drink on actual terms...if you LIKE it, and it doesn't appear to HAMPER you, go for it...probably wouldn't drink it during a marathon or anything, but should be fine for most events. Just don't buy into the silly hype about what it professes to do.

As to the drink's taste...it's curious...they probably don't add the stuff that gives it it's strongest flavor...but it does have vinegar, a pretty strong tasting substance...I don't mind vinegar in my bbq sauces (best ones contain them imo), not so sure about my "sports drink" though.

Nix
08-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Prince somehow I knew you would chime in here with you being a athletic trainer and all. :)

I do remember seeing on the label that there is 820mg of Sodium in each serving and there are two servings per container that I purchased. Call me goofy but isn't that a shit house of salt in one bottle? That can't really be good if you do end up ingesting this product day in and day out?

4eyedstang
08-11-2008, 02:15 PM
i bet it will help if you have to pee in a little cup . if you know what i mean :goof

CobraSnake
08-11-2008, 03:32 PM
i bet it will help if you have to pee in a little cup . if you know what i mean :goof

no they sell fake piss now:goof

lordairgtar
08-11-2008, 05:19 PM
I ain't drinking anything that tastes like douche water.

STANMAN
08-11-2008, 05:56 PM
I ain't drinking anything that tastes like douche water.

This leads me to believe that if you tasted something you could compare it to the taste of douche water. That's a little to disturbing, even for me:goof:rolf

DirtyMax
08-11-2008, 06:35 PM
I would think the loads and loads of sodium alone would make pickle juice FTL. Dehydration seems eminent...

SlowStee
08-11-2008, 06:41 PM
I had a Big party Thursday night..at some crazy late hour of partying i go upstairs to find a bunch of people sitting around a table drinking my pickle juice...instant WTF :confused:wtf

then I see this thread :wtf

Reverend Cooper
08-11-2008, 09:32 PM
reading valiants posts actually make my head hurt,thus i know im learning something,thanks!

CobaltSSTuner
08-11-2008, 10:01 PM
I had a Big party Thursday night..at some crazy late hour of partying i go upstairs to find a bunch of people sitting around a table drinking my pickle juice...instant WTF :confused:wtf

then I see this thread :wtf

were they drinking tequila with it? :alcoholic (seriously?)

Prince Valiant
08-11-2008, 10:05 PM
I do remember seeing on the label that there is 820mg of Sodium in each serving and there are two servings per container that I purchased. Call me goofy but isn't that a shit house of salt in one bottle? That can't really be good if you do end up ingesting this product day in and day out?And that's just SODIUM chloride...they aren't including the potassium, magnesium, and other salt derivatives. They'll all work to dehydrate the cells just as much as the sodium alone.

In general, you only really need ~ 500mg a day in salt...the max recommended is ~ 2000-2600mg per day (usually said to be 2400mg, but the max safe intake depends on size, activity levels, weather, climate, altitude, etc). Most American diets give us about 3500mg per day...to add a drink that nearly gives you a third or more of the max recommended daily intake, ON TOP OF your likely HIGH sodium intake, is not good.

Consider this though...seawater is roughly 3500mg-4000mg of ALL salts combined per 12 oz serving...so this PJ isn't too terribly far off from something we KNOW is deadly, lol.

GRAMPS SS
08-11-2008, 10:54 PM
I too have heard of the drinking pickle juice thing, but i don't think i could ever do it. i like pickels, but to drink the juice straight is disgusting IMO.

add a little tomato juice and VODKA :thumbsup

lordairgtar
08-12-2008, 12:04 AM
This leads me to believe that if you tasted something you could compare it to the taste of douche water. That's a little to disturbing, even for me:goof:rolf
Well, I know douche is sometimes vinegar, and pickles reside in vinegar, hence the douche reference.

lasttimearound
08-12-2008, 12:11 AM
add a little tomato juice and VODKA :thumbsup

forgot the a1, tabasco, celery salt and garlic salt. or if its for breakfast, simply add some shrimp and tomatoes

Voodoo Chick
08-12-2008, 12:43 AM
I hate pickles. My husband will eat them till he's ready to bust, but I cannot even stand how they smell, or how they look. They look like tiny little dead alligators. The thought of drinking pickle juice is enough to make me barf.

whitepony
08-12-2008, 12:59 AM
i dont think i could ever drink straight pickles juice that sounds Nasty!

Lil' Five Seven
08-12-2008, 04:50 PM
i drink pickle juice. :thumbsup