PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry or Windows Mobile

Want_Notch
08-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Getting a new plan at work and I get to decide what it is we are getting.
US Cellular has these two options. Anyone have any experience with them?

T-Bag
08-11-2008, 11:27 AM
I just picked up the BlackBerry Curve, it was a tough choice between the two but overall I liked the BlackBerry interface more.

LIL EVO
08-11-2008, 12:03 PM
It kinda depends what you will be using it for. I have and use both.

jbiscuit
08-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Palm Centro with touchscreen FTW. I have one and absolutely love it.

84hurst
08-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Palm Centro with touchscreen FTW. I have one and absolutely love it.

x2 on Palm software, I have the Treo 755p and love it!

Want_Notch
08-11-2008, 01:40 PM
I have to get what US Cellular offers so its BB or Windows Mobile.

Basically used to access my email when I am out of the office.

ND4SPD
08-11-2008, 01:42 PM
I prefer WM. Some people like BB, but one of my coworkers recently got a BB and HATES it. She found it to not be intuitive at all. So, I think my suggestion would be to go play with them both and see which you like better. There is a new WM based Palm Treo coming out soon too, so you might want to wait for that as the Treos are exceptional devices. The Moto Q is also very popular. Be sure to check one of those out. I was just looking over the USCC offerings... looks like you're pretty much limited to a BB or a MotoQ or a PPC6800 for Windows Mobile. I have the Verizon equivalent of the PPC6800. It's a great PDA but it might be overkill for most people. The motoQ is a scaled down version (doesn't have touch screen). So if you don't want to dink around with a touch screen... go for the new Moto Q9c's.

MoCkiN U
08-11-2008, 02:11 PM
The moto q is the most unpredictable device on the market. I wouldnt rely on that for much.

The question comes down to one simple one to start with. "Do you plan to edit microsoft documents on the device word, excel, powerpoint?"

If the answer is yes then go with windows cause blackberry wont do those.

If the answer is no then go with blackberry cause the corporate email and calendar applications are really flawless.

The blackberry will take more time to get used to then windows cause it doesnt work like most devices but once you invest the time you will love how it works. The calendar view is really nice although some of the most difficullt things to do is change the sounds of the device or program calendar entries. All of this can be overcome with practic and become 2nd nature. Blackberries do have "persitent memory" which means they DO require a memorey card. As the device gets full it will start removing data messages first then contacts to keep its own memory running to support the device. Adequate memory card will stop this issue.

Windows devices are really nice with the touch screen but most of them dial on the touch screen which means if the screen freezes (which happens frequently) you cant dial on them. They are TONS easier to use but to use them effieciently I advised spending the same amount of time to learn the quirks. Windows devices do freeze but there is a way to avoid this as a user which most sale people know but neglect to tell the end user which makes them think the device is junk. Just like your home computer the windows system keeps applications running the background just like the tabs at the bottom of the screen of your computer now. Just about every other day or daily depending on volume of application usage you will need to go into the memory and "end all running applications" if you dont do this your device will freeze up and be annoying as hell. Ending these applications is super easy to do you just have to develop that habit.

I use a blackberry everyday. I just got tired of breaking the touch screens on the devices and I am really good with my phone. I use the curve now with another company of course but its the same device.

DirtyMax
08-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Blackberry hands down. This is not even a matter for discussion.

The employees of US Cellular can use whatever they want and they all (as in 100% of the people at the two stores I most recently visited) use the BB. Must tell you something...

I am 3 weeks into my US Cellular BB purchase (Curve 8330) and I'm very pleased!

Like Kelly said.. It will take some getting used to. I was frustrated as hell for the first few days but once you learn the new equipment and the shortcuts, it's a really nice device!!

LIL EVO
08-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Yep. I second the BB. The WM devices are basically like "toys" and in my opinion not proper for business related activities.

ND4SPD
08-11-2008, 03:20 PM
I disagree with the "toy" comment. I've remote-administered servers and PCs from my WM Phone... I don't know too many people with BBs (or iPhones) that have done that. I've also NEVER broken the screen on a PDA phone (I've had 3 of them). Being a firefighter and being in some pretty abusive environments, I'm pretty impressed at how well my PDA phones have held up. Also, phones like the Moto Q and Samsung Blackjack do not use a touchscreen and are NOT the most unreliable devices on the market (that's a bunch of anti-WM BS). Sounds like the same stuff I hear the iPhone owners spew (yet not one of them have ever owned or used a WM device). I know PLENTY of very happy Q owners (many more than I know happy BB owners as a matter of fact).

Anyway, let's not turn this into a Apple-esque BlackBerry cult discussion. Some people don't want to have to sit down and stop their lives for 3 days trying to figure out how to use a BlackBerry. If you do, and it works for you great! Some people like the familiarity of the Windows Mobile interface. The only way for Notch to know is to go down to USCC and play with the phones for an afternoon.

Here's a question for you Notch. Does your work use Microsoft Exchange Server for email? If so, there are definite advantages to using WM over BB. A good cellular salesperson will ask you questions like this and can help guide you to the device that best fits your needs.

LIL EVO
08-11-2008, 03:23 PM
My WM device is laggy and quirky and sucks to make calls without a keypad.

The BB on the other hand does everything the guy wants. Check email out of the office, which was what it is designed for. You can then quickly flip over and make a phone call in a second. If I were to switch from email to phone on my WM device it would probably take 20 seconds to make a call.

Want_Notch
08-11-2008, 03:26 PM
We use MDamon not MES. I am going to head ocer to my local USCC tomorrow and play around with them.

johnny--2k
08-11-2008, 03:53 PM
X3 for Palm. Love my Centro!

WM is horrible, just like a computer. Crashes, bugs, freezes, locks up....crap IMHO. BB or Palm FTW!

PureSound15
08-11-2008, 04:00 PM
I had a WM unit and it would freeze up and act exactly like any windows computer.

Myself and my girlfriend have the Blackberry Curve and love it!

Feature Pony
08-11-2008, 04:34 PM
I would go with the blackberry curve

MoCkiN U
08-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Also, phones like the Moto Q and Samsung Blackjack do not use a touchscreen and are NOT the most unreliable devices on the market (that's a bunch of anti-WM BS). Sounds like the same stuff I hear the iPhone owners spew (yet not one of them have ever owned or used a WM device). I know PLENTY of very happy Q owners (many more than I know happy BB owners as a matter of fact).

Not only am I a cellular sales person but a manager who teaches sales people. I have done this for 9 years and dont put information out there unless I can support it. Moto q is the most unreliable device out there and ask any person about the blackjack who sells them. YOU WILL BE REPLACING IT IN WARANTY!! Do any search on any active phone site and you will find plenty of info backing this. Just search www.phonescoop.com or others like it for evidence.

The Q is the device I have replaced most and friends of mine who run other carriers stores say the same thing. Yes you can get a great Q and have zero issues but when you sell 10 of them 7 will come back. KNOWN ISSUES:

Screen spits view (lines out all info on top of screen)
Battery life cut in half by windows operating system
Frequent memory loss
Device freezing/lagg
shift keys on both corners stop working

I dont sell off of popularity contests, I sell off of need and function which includes palm, word, blackberry he isnt buying from me so I dont have to go into great detail but he now has questions to ask him sales person. I also dont sell something I have seen others bring back regardless of operating system. if you have something funtional to add to the original blackberry vs word discussion please do but dont call me out cause you dont know what I do and how I do it

All we can do is give him info and off of that he will make a better decision. There isnt a perfect "have to have" device we can point him to. He might not like any of them

Yooformula
08-11-2008, 05:58 PM
I love my palm based phone and wouldnt switch although I have never had any issues either.

T-Bag
08-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Blackberry hands down. This is not even a matter for discussion.

The employees of US Cellular can use whatever they want and they all (as in 100% of the people at the two stores I most recently visited) use the BB. Must tell you something...

I am 3 weeks into my US Cellular BB purchase (Curve 8330) and I'm very pleased!

Like Kelly said.. It will take some getting used to. I was frustrated as hell for the first few days but once you learn the new equipment and the shortcuts, it's a really nice device!!

I'm on my 5th day with the 8330 and I love it :headbang

team beater
08-14-2008, 10:45 PM
The moto q is the most unpredictable device on the market. I wouldnt rely on that for much.

The question comes down to one simple one to start with. "Do you plan to edit microsoft documents on the device word, excel, powerpoint?"

If the answer is yes then go with windows cause blackberry wont do those.

If the answer is no then go with blackberry cause the corporate email and calendar applications are really flawless.

The blackberry will take more time to get used to then windows cause it doesnt work like most devices but once you invest the time you will love how it works. The calendar view is really nice although some of the most difficullt things to do is change the sounds of the device or program calendar entries. All of this can be overcome with practic and become 2nd nature. Blackberries do have "persitent memory" which means they DO require a memorey card. As the device gets full it will start removing data messages first then contacts to keep its own memory running to support the device. Adequate memory card will stop this issue.

Windows devices are really nice with the touch screen but most of them dial on the touch screen which means if the screen freezes (which happens frequently) you cant dial on them. They are TONS easier to use but to use them effieciently I advised spending the same amount of time to learn the quirks. Windows devices do freeze but there is a way to avoid this as a user which most sale people know but neglect to tell the end user which makes them think the device is junk. Just like your home computer the windows system keeps applications running the background just like the tabs at the bottom of the screen of your computer now. Just about every other day or daily depending on volume of application usage you will need to go into the memory and "end all running applications" if you dont do this your device will freeze up and be annoying as hell. Ending these applications is super easy to do you just have to develop that habit.

I use a blackberry everyday. I just got tired of breaking the touch screens on the devices and I am really good with my phone. I use the curve now with another company of course but its the same device.

x2 i sell both BB hands down!