PDA

View Full Version : UFC 87: Seek and Destroy Tonight!!

twirkin50
08-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Main Card Bouts:

[16-2-0] Georges St-Pierre (c) vs. Jon Fitch [22-2-1] - UFC Welterweight Championship

[9-3-0] Kenny Florian vs. Roger Huerta [20-1-1]

[1-1-0] Brock Lesnar vs. Heath Herring [28-13-0]

[7-0-0] Demian Maia vs. Jason MacDonald [20-9-0]

[8-2-0] Manny Gamburyan vs. Rob Emerson [7-6-0]

----------

Talk about a good fight card! Can't wait. I am actually having a hard time picking winners because some are pretty evenly matched. Lesnar should have a better showing this time around against Herring. The Florian vs. Huerta match is going to be a good one.

Any predictions?

So far my picks are:

GSP
Florian
Lesnar
Maia
Emerson

Yooformula
08-09-2008, 11:50 AM
agreed, very good card tonight. after thinking about the picks, I think GSP, Huerta, macdonald and manny would be my picks.

T-Bag
08-09-2008, 11:51 AM
GSP
FLORIAN
RoboLesnar is going to hulk smash Heath Herring's face in
boring
boring

edit: Any good places to go watch this tonight? Getting bored of hooters and 54.95 just isn't cutting it.

twirkin50
08-09-2008, 11:53 AM
agreed, very good card tonight. I would have to agree with your picks too except for heath, I think he will beat Brock.

I just recall Herrings last fight were he got totally dominated. Herring is going to try and stand up with him, so Brock won't have to worry about the submissions like with Frank Mir.

Yooformula
08-09-2008, 11:55 AM
yeah I know but I am just not sold on brock yet.

twirkin50
08-09-2008, 11:57 AM
yeah I know but I am just not sold on brock yet.

After his first fight I could understand that. He put on a good showing, but didn't live up to all the hype.

Are you watching it at work tonight?

Yooformula
08-09-2008, 12:06 PM
I dont work there anymore so most likely I would watch it home or catch highlights on espn.

mrz28M6
08-09-2008, 04:37 PM
just ordered it :) anyone think fitch has a chance??

Irish
08-09-2008, 04:44 PM
I dont work there anymore so most likely I would watch it home or catch highlights on espn.

Uhhhhh Why not? I know I am being nosey, PM if you want to tell me what happened.

Lash
08-09-2008, 04:58 PM
anyone think fitch has a chance??

no

Beagle
08-09-2008, 04:59 PM
I agree with all your picks but I dont think Brock is going to win....

Z28Envy
08-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Awesome card tonight! A lot of great fights! I think the best one will be Florian and Heurta! I am cheering for Heurta!

twirkin50
08-09-2008, 05:42 PM
KENFLO!!!

Why is everyone doubting Brock????

Yooformula
08-09-2008, 05:57 PM
have you watched huerta fight before??? he is really that good, even if he loses tonight.

mrz28M6
08-09-2008, 09:42 PM
good first fight! i really thought macdonald was going to dominate

moels
08-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Great 2nd fight as well, I thought Huerta was going to kill Florian, but as always Florian surprises me.

mrz28M6
08-09-2008, 10:07 PM
florian was just too technical for huerta! stick and go, stick and go

mrz28M6
08-09-2008, 11:07 PM
lesnar looked pretty good tonight

Lash
08-10-2008, 12:04 AM
lesnar looked pretty good tonight

I don't think so. If 'looking good' means being bigger than 99% of the division....then yeah. I think a lucky first punch changed the whole fight. The rest of the time he just layed his fat ass on top of him a punched.

Does this guy even know any submissions?

Kongo/Lesnar...make it happen. Winner fights Nog.

Yooformula
08-10-2008, 12:07 AM
I had to refresh espn every 5 minutes to get my updates. glad GSP won though but I wish it was as TKO or submission.

Lash
08-10-2008, 12:08 AM
I had to refresh espn every 5 minutes to get my updates. glad GSP won though but I wish it was as TKO or submission.

I never knew Fitch had a chin like that. He took some BIG shots.

Yooformula
08-10-2008, 12:10 AM
I cant wait to watch the broadcast.

Lash
08-10-2008, 12:20 AM
Just to add...

I though Lesnar was disrespectfull as sh!t. He little push to Hearing after the first round was uncalled for (after the horn). And his speach at the end of the fight made him look like an ass. He acts like he's been in MMA forever.

Not to mention when Brock got up with 5 seconds left in the fight to celebrate while pointing and laughing at Heath. The guy is a douche.

T-Bag
08-10-2008, 03:27 AM
Brock Lesnar has always been a cocky shit, even back in his WWE days.

I wouldn't say he looked great but he kept complete control of the match. Didn't do anything too flashy, just showed that he's strong as **** and will make you gas out. I guess we'll see how he develops further. So who the hell does he fight next? The heavyweight division is so depleted...

I also agree he was being a **** at the end...I didn't actually see the PPV so I don't know what he said in the after interview...just caught youtube shit.

Z28Envy
08-10-2008, 06:16 AM
Just to add...

I though Lesnar was disrespectfull as sh!t. He little push to Hearing after the first round was uncalled for (after the horn). And his speach at the end of the fight made him look like an ass. He acts like he's been in MMA forever.

Not to mention when Brock got up with 5 seconds left in the fight to celebrate while pointing and laughing at Heath. The guy is a douche.

I'm not sure why Lesnar pushed Herring but I thought at the time that Herring might have been talking shit when he got up. Still not cool to push him but with the adrenalin rush they have I'm sure he wasn't thinking. The punch he landed right away was dead on and not lucky! Lesnar should have waited a second until Herring started to get up and then went for him with the ground a pound. I think he could have ended it there as Herring was rocked pretty good. Lesnar charged in right away and just tied up with Herring and gave Herring time to get his head back. Lesnar control the whole fight and looked ok but needs a lot more training that for sure.

Lesnar's actions at the end were stupid! I don't know if that is just how he is or if he was just way to excited about the win infront of his home crowd or what but it was really uncalled for.

Lash
08-10-2008, 07:52 AM
So who the hell does he fight next? The heavyweight division is so depleted...

Dana will play to his strenght again and have him fight Kongo....because he no BJJ skills at all. It'll be just like this fight.

I REALLY want to see him fight Nog or Werdum. Well see how badass he is then.

twirkin50
08-10-2008, 07:56 AM
Talk about a good PPV. I actually feel like it was worth the money.

I actually picked all the fights right for once and I few I wasn't too sure of. The Florian vs. Huerta fight was really good. Super technical fight, but I was a little disappointed that Florian let it go to the decision. He always talks the talk of how he finishes all his fights. So, when faced with a tough challenge like Huerta I figured he really wouldn't let it go to decision. Great fight either way.
Ahhh, the Lesnar fight.......Well, he did a lot better than his first fight, but he still needs a LOT of work. First punch was brutal, but what was with the head down bull charge?? At his size, who gets into a full mount and can't even lock it in and do some damage. On the ground he pretty much just smothers the guy with his size. However Herring's face looked pretty rough, so like Rogan said those giant clubs he calls hands were doing some real damage. As for the end of the fight showboating and laughing.....this is the UFC, not the WWE....show some respect. I agree with the other posts, Kongo is a beast and could put up a good fight with Lesnar.
GSP fight was awesome! Finally a full 5 minute 5 round all out battle for the belt. Fitch is probably one of the baddest dudes around to take that amount of punishment and still keep charging forward. He never once gave up. Thank you UFC officials for not prematurely stopping a great fight like you have done so many times in the past. I did feel GSP could have ended the fight sooner, but it seemed like he kept looking at the clock every now and then to pace the fight.

So, that is my take of a great night of UFC action!! :thumbsup

DirtyMax
08-10-2008, 08:00 AM
The whole "reel em in" thing at the end seemed a little much....

twirkin50
08-10-2008, 08:04 AM
Almost forgot the Emerson vs Manvel fight. I told the wife after the pre fight comments that Manvel's run and gun out of the gate approach was going to get him in trouble one of these days. Sure enough.......he got knocked the F out!! 12 seconds is pretty impressive for a KO. I really didn't want to watch or have this fight drag out for the full time, so it was perfect.

twirkin50
08-10-2008, 08:08 AM
The whole "reel em in" thing at the end seemed a little much....

Lesnar right?

I just don't get it. I know he was probably super excited for his first win, but the whole thing was just too cocky. Maybe that is how they do it in his hometown.
Nice to see Sable ringside. Didn't know that she was Mrs. Lesnar.

"Can you feel me now???"

....no comment.......:punch:

Lash
08-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Maybe that is how they do it in his hometown.

:

Well, he does live in Minnesota now. :durr

I'm glad Manny got KTFO. I can't stand him or his cousin Karo.

mrz28M6
08-10-2008, 08:59 AM
cant wait for for a future ufc with lesnar vs kongo and gsp vs penn!!!

twirkin50
08-10-2008, 11:22 AM
GSP vs Penn..

I am not sure what to think of that fight. I would pick BJ if GSP had to drop down to BJ's weight class, but a heavier Penn might hurt his endurance for a long fight. BJ's cardio was a ton better in the Sherk fight, but in a heavier weight class I am just not sure it will work out for him.

Lash
08-10-2008, 12:54 PM
GSP vs Penn..

I am not sure what to think of that fight. I would pick BJ if GSP had to drop down to BJ's weight class, but a heavier Penn might hurt his endurance for a long fight. BJ's cardio was a ton better in the Sherk fight, but in a heavier weight class I am just not sure it will work out for him.

I kind of agree. Not having to cut much weight might help BJ though. He looked pretty big up there last night standing next to GSP. Still not a fight I'd put any kind of money on though. It'll be a good one.