PDA

View Full Version : what exactly is a cam??

CobraSnake
08-09-2008, 12:47 AM
hey me and my buddies were sitting here talking and we got to talking about motors. We don't know much about them just the basics. So I started talking about engine upgrades and I got to talking about a cam. I mentioned that I thought I heard that chevy's had i believe 2 cams where mustang's have i think 4. So its much more to do it on a mustang then a LSX motor. But then my friends asked me what exactly is a cam they kept thinking I was talking about the cam shaft, which I don;t believe. So my question is what exactly a cam??? What does it exactly do??? Where is it located in the engine????

Prince Valiant
08-09-2008, 01:05 AM
It's a shaft with eccentric (out of round) circles on it that spins at exactly half engine speed on a 4 stroke engine...

the cam contacts the lifter, which in the case of a pushrod engine contacts a pushrod which connects to a rocker, which connects to a valve.

On the base circle (round portion of the cam), the valve is closed, the lifter/pushrod/rocker/valve aren't moving.

When you hit the eccentric, it pushes up the lifter, which pushes the pushrod, which pushes the rocker, which rocks and pushes the valves, which then opens to let air in or out.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/camshaft1.htm
Study it, love it, learn it.

GRAMPS SS
08-09-2008, 01:31 AM
engine 101

Brandon W.
08-09-2008, 01:33 AM
oh my god....im speechless..

Nick
08-09-2008, 01:33 AM
This thread has to be a joke.
I called it.

Brandon W.
08-09-2008, 01:37 AM
This thread has to be a joke.
I called it.

i hope it is..or atleast hope he's drunk.

SBC-Fox
08-09-2008, 01:45 AM
ls1's have 2 cams that new to me hmmmm??????????????? i guess please even if this thread wasnt a joke just say haha yeah i was joking

Beagle
08-09-2008, 02:03 AM
I got one of the few still running LTX prototype motors which has 4 cams. Also know as the LT5 :rolf

CobaltSSTuner
08-09-2008, 02:54 AM
if he's serious, give him a break, seriously, not everybody knows everything there is to know about motors, and everybody has to learn sometime.

badass88gt
08-09-2008, 03:50 AM
Its the brain of the engine. I found a pic of one to make it easier.

http://www.campbellenterprises.com/K1-Technologies/K-1-crankshaft.jpg

Sprayaway Fox
08-09-2008, 04:27 AM
A cam is a special order that come with what trim package you pic out when you order your car from the dealership.Most cars nowadays dont run them. Its programmed in the ECU nowadayz. Thats why everybody gets a tuner nowadays to install a bigger cam in the ECU.:headbang:rolf

srt4eh
08-09-2008, 06:08 AM
sounds like that topic on the cobalt forums where the guy asked if he could get full boost in reverse in his t/c cobalt while racing his buddies 84 corvette.

That_Guy
08-09-2008, 08:40 AM
sounds like that topic on the cobalt forums where the guy asked if he could get full boost in reverse in his t/c cobalt while racing his buddies 84 corvette.

that thread was created by a user on the side with his second account. the whole thing was a joke and 3-4 guys where in on it..:rolf

Z28Roxy
08-09-2008, 08:52 AM

That's a crank:mad:

Mr Twigbert
08-09-2008, 08:54 AM
It keeps the muffler coolent from being sucked into the turn single exhaust port..

lordairgtar
08-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Cam = device used for capturing images
Camshaft = mechanical device used for valve operation in internal combustion four stroke engines, which may use a single camshaft to operate an engine's valves in conjunction with push rods and rockers and are mounted in the engine block. Some are mounted directly over the valves and are mounted in the head, or heads.

Z28Roxy
08-09-2008, 09:32 AM
The X in LSX denotes the number of cams.*

The ZR1 with the LS9 has a cam to operate the other 8 cams which each operate one set of valves.

*I know, I'm a math nerd.

Lash
08-09-2008, 10:40 AM
You have a blown GT but don't know what a cam is?

Irish
08-09-2008, 10:53 AM

:rolf you're joking.......... right?:stare

michelle
08-09-2008, 10:55 AM
I would assume so since the link of the picture says crankshaft right in it. Also, it's the 4th image found when you search "crankshaft" on google images.

I'll go find something productive to do with my time. Like cook or do the dishes.

GRAMPS SS
08-09-2008, 11:04 AM
^^^^^^^^come over and wash my SUV for bens wedding....thanks..i have to change my cam....the dammm wiper blades won't move....

fastenhard
08-09-2008, 11:07 AM
What is a cam? Hmmmm thats like me saying, how do I change my blinker fluid.

GRAMPS SS
08-09-2008, 11:09 AM
What is a cam? Hmmmm thats like me saying, how do I change my blinker fluid.

blinker fluid ...thats easy....danno showed me that one...now it's a snap....the muffler bearings is the one that has me stumped :thumbsup

fastenhard
08-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Ya I had problems with that too.
http://thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/Gallery/albums/oldschool1/mufflerBearing.jpg
This should give u a better idea on how to change it. :)

CobraSnake
08-09-2008, 11:31 AM
wow can't even ask you guys a simple question without getting flamed. No sorry I don't know much if anything about the internals of these motors. Thank you Prince for actually answering my question, I think you were the only one.

Mark

Z28Roxy
08-09-2008, 11:32 AM
blinker fluid ...thats easy....danno showed me that one...now it's a snap....the muffler bearings is the one that has me stumped :thumbsup

Right next to the Canewtson Valve....

GRAMPS SS
08-09-2008, 11:34 AM
DAMMMMMMMMMMM thanks Roxy....i'll go check them now that i know where to look...your a life saver....:thumbsup

CPonyGo
08-09-2008, 11:35 AM
wow can't even ask you guys a simple question without getting flamed. No sorry I don't know much if anything about the internals of these motors. Thank you Prince for actually answering my question, I think you were the only one.

Mark

what did you expect?..first of all you should have put this in a tech forum......

CPonyGo
08-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Right next to the Canewtson Valve....

LOLOL....:goof

CobraSnake
08-09-2008, 11:38 AM
what did you expect?..first of all you should have put this in a tech forum......

I expected good answers like Prince give me right away. It shouldn't have to go in the tech section just to not get flamed?? I mean come on I ask you guys a question and i'm looking for a answer not "aw daaa you don't know what a cam is daaa your an idiot". Sorry I didn't have anyone teaching me when I was younger nor did I have a chance to take any mechanics training in high school.

Mark

T-Bag
08-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Your post was a big mistake, not knocking on you. Just for a heads up, if there's something I don't know that I'll get shit for, i'll usually hit up google, or wikipedia or howstuffworks to avoid verbal and typed abuse. :)

Z28Roxy
08-09-2008, 11:52 AM
I expected good answers like Prince give me right away. It shouldn't have to go in the tech section just to not get flamed?? I mean come on I ask you guys a question and i'm looking for a answer not "aw daaa you don't know what a cam is daaa your an idiot". Sorry I didn't have anyone teaching me when I was younger nor did I have a chance to take any mechanics training in high school.

Mark

Your post was just funny in the sense that it seemed like it could be someone who was actually informed making the post as a joke.

So it was hard to tell if you were serious or not. If you just said I'm a noob guys, what exactly is a cam you wouldn't have gotten such smart assed responses.

fastenhard
08-09-2008, 12:20 PM

Mark

I thought you where joking. Just seeing that you have over a 1000 post and have a blown mustang, people would think you where joking.

Sorry for the smart ass reply. Next time make it more clear that you really dont know. People would be more then happy to help you. :shades

BAD LS1
08-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Its the **** of the engine or the brain... both one in the same lol

lordairgtar
08-09-2008, 02:03 PM

Mark
Uh, I think I answered the question, even if with humour.

lordairgtar
08-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Your post was a big mistake, not knocking on you. Just for a heads up, if there's something I don't know that I'll get shit for, i'll usually hit up google, or wikipedia or howstuffworks to avoid verbal and typed abuse. :)
That's all fine and good, but I would rather ask some friends (This forum?) before consulting the cold abyss of Google. I expect some humour in the posts, but how hard would it have been to give him the correct answer? I don't profess to know everything about engines. Give a guy a break. Would you want to be answered like that? It seems maybe you should google "How to be funny without being a ****"

Korndogg
08-09-2008, 02:22 PM

:rolf:rolf:rolf

looks like you need to study more too.

badass88gt
08-09-2008, 04:08 PM
I would assume so since the link of the picture says crankshaft right in it. Also, it's the 4th image found when you search "crankshaft" on google images.

You could be a private investigator!:goof

I'll go find something productive to do with my time. Like cook or do the dishes.

That is hilarious!:rolf

u_say_go
08-09-2008, 06:48 PM
post withdrawn cuz.........just cuz

badass88gt
08-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Like others have said, I assumed he was kidding, having a supercharged car I thought he knew. Actually I thought someone got his password and was messing around. Michelle is the only one that realized I was messing around when I posted my pic of the cam.

Korndogg
08-09-2008, 08:53 PM
I posted my pic of the cam.

You mean when you posted a pic of the CRANK??? :goof

70 cutlass 442
08-09-2008, 09:06 PM
you guys are all assholes. but Most are right, I would hit up wikipedia to at least get a general idea firstm BUT STILL. How many of you guys get but hurt over stuff someone else says and now someone asks a questions and you start the flame game... Just be lucky you didnt ask this on chitrownracing or one of the other hardcore sites, this would be at page 99 already!

badass88gt
08-09-2008, 09:24 PM
You mean when you posted a pic of the CRANK??? :goof

:thumbsup:rolf:devil:chair:

Lash
08-10-2008, 12:05 AM
Whats a crank?

badass88gt
08-10-2008, 12:07 AM
http://www.rehermorrison.com/images/Camshaft_Valvetrain/Camshaft.jpg

Lash
08-10-2008, 12:17 AM

And all along I though that was a driveshaft.

That clears it up! Thanks!

Korndogg
08-10-2008, 10:50 AM
lol

MurphysLaw88GT
08-10-2008, 11:28 AM
And all along I though that was a driveshaft.

That clears it up! Thanks!

Uhhhh....nooooo THAT is a Connecting Rod

CPonyGo
08-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Uhhhh....nooooo THAT is a Connecting Rod

Biotch thats why you weren't invited to the engine install...LOLOL- Kurt said you were a good exhaust man but based on this- you would have a crank where my u joints go:rolf

OxmanWI
08-10-2008, 12:44 PM

Copy that, I'm on a couple car forums and this is by far the most rowdiest forum. Asking a simple question on here is a guaranteed flame for sure, lol!

MurphysLaw88GT
08-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Biotch thats why you weren't invited to the engine install...LOLOL- Kurt said you were a good exhaust man but based on this- you would have a crank where my u joints go:rolf

And you see why my turd lives perpetually under a cover ehh....:thumbsup

Flicktitty
08-10-2008, 10:56 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camshaft

i'm not in the asshole mood right now.

Sprayaway Fox
08-10-2008, 11:28 PM
Straight outa the gate I join the rowdiest forum? Gonna have to throw on my Hogan gear!:headbang:chair::chair::goof

fivonut
08-10-2008, 11:50 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camshaft

i'm not in the asshole mood right now.

The only thing that doesn't do is explain multi-cam engines. In pushrod engines a single cam is usually located in the block and uses rods to open and close the valves on all heads (whether 1 or 2). In a lot of newer engines the cam is located on the head, one cam on each head opens and closes the valves for that head (usually referred to as Single Over Head Cam). Others have two cams per head, one for the intake valves and one for the exhaust valves, and each head will have two (usually referred to as Dual Over Head Cam). Not all mustangs have four cams, most GT's have SOHC, the Cobra's had DOHC. I don't know anything about LSx engines (I get a rash every time I think about touching one). and camshaft=cam.

If this whole post was one big joke then I guess the joke's on me :alcoholic:alcoholic:alcoholic

fivonut
08-10-2008, 11:51 PM

Would you build me a new engine????:devil:devil:devil