PDA

View Full Version : New cost effective LS1 turbo kit

BAD LS1
12-02-2003, 01:39 PM
Im a little confused about the potential of this setup. But it only cost 3K and look at the power it made on 8 psi with methanol on a stock engine!! I see one problem already!! bye bye subframe connectors... The compressor piping runs in the valley where my sub frame connector on the driver side is housed. But other than that, they claim with a 60-1 Garrett on a stock cube LS1 produces a minimal amount of lag. But being the fact its remotly mounted it leaves alot to the imagination to question about performance. Im seriously thinking about this but im going to HEAVILY research this before i start thinking with something else and get stupid and buy something that might not give me the potential im after, (dont get me started on aftermarket mass air sensors) and leave me short that cash and with a lack of results.

http://www.ststurbo.com/home

Tom

JohnnyT
12-02-2003, 02:33 PM
That's some crazy sh!t Tom! Although 510HP and 550ft/lbs TQ are pretty impressive numbers for less money than a heads/cam swap. :rockwoot:

88camaro
12-02-2003, 05:56 PM
how much weight does it add with all that piping? I dont know if i would want that glowing thing near my gas tank even though they say its safe but what some act of god happens.

Crawlin
12-02-2003, 06:15 PM
those pics have been tossed around the net for a while. they were on the LT1 car, and everyone was questioning the efficiency of it. with dyno numbers like that, looks like it could work pretty well. but i don't think THAT system could put you over that magical 650hp mark where the stock mass air flow sensors are worthless on a forced induction car. it's still cool nontheless. try it Tom, it's only 3g's ;) gonna have to swap cams though to get the best out of it.

Prince Valiant
12-02-2003, 06:29 PM
I've seen the remote mounted turbo's in action...they seem to do pretty good.

Of course before seeing it, i would have figured it would increase lag substatially, especially in light of the fact that by the time the exhaust gasses have reached the impeller they have cooled significantly, which should in theory slow the velocity of the gasses. Another concern is how much air has to be compressed downstream from the turbo, also adding to lag time.

Appearently it doesn't matter too much though...lag seems fairly minimal.

That leaves the big downside IMO, is the turbo's exsposure to the elements. Run over a puddle with a hot turbo and end up with a crack housing. I would think that one could protect it well enough, and just use sense not to drive when it's wet outside.

8psi is a pretty good number I would think for a high compression engine (although we know one that boost more psi with higher compression :D ) and that you may have the flexibility to run 10 maybe even 12psi (i think the general rule is something like 30-40 ft-lbs of torque per psi!!! :eek: )

You would likely have to swap cams out though...longer duration cams with significant amounts of overlap is BAD for the turbo power cars...especially the smaller the turbo houseing (I assume it's small because it's designed to produce around 8psi and exhibits minimal lag....both saying it's a small turbo). A stock or custom cam designed for turbo's should be considered in the cost and hassle of installing this kit.

You would also want to strongly consider swaping gears down to a lower 3.42 or 3.23 again as well. Otherwise you probably wouldn't have enough time in each gear to make significant boost until third and maybe fourth gear or so. It does take time to make the boost and you think how quickly 1-2 go by when your on it...you may only hit 3-5psi by the time your shifting. That's the real reasons supra's are "hwy assasin's" though. Put a huge turbo on a small motor and it takes time to spool them up...so third and fourth gears they actually have the time to spool them up into the 30+ range and make real power. In the lower gears those bigger turbo cars are lucky to see 15psi. It's also why auto's really work well for turbo's...once they've got the boost, you don't have to lift off the throttle and lose what boost you've built.

I've always loved the idea of turbo lsi/lt1's....I think it would be awesome to see you do one :thumbsup

but it does take a ton of work to get the ideal turbo combo though.

95 TA - The Beast
12-03-2003, 12:15 AM
I only have one thing to say about this...

What happens when you drive in the rain or go through some water???

I mean just look at the air filter location... Let alone the turbo...

But lag is not an issue with this system... Piping runs and other things ar ehte big issues with space.... Long-tube headers don't fit very well on 4th gens, let alone a big intake pipe as well as a big exhaust pipe trying to run in the lack of available space...

Notice how they don't post pictures of the setup actually on ANY car until you drill WAY down to your specific vehicle... They know the major issues I outlined above will keep most from being interested...

The Civic
12-03-2003, 10:16 AM
Yikes!!! :wow

I don't know about that remote mounting. More pipes & fittings = more places to have leaks. More piping also leads to a higher pressure drop too. The only benefit to having so much piping running all over the place is that it will have a slight cooling effect on the intake charge since there's no intercooler. Yet another thing that I wouldn't be comfotable with is the fact that there's the oil line running under the length of the car. If that get's hit it's time to get towed. All in all I'd stay away from this kit.

Ken

2QUICK4U
12-03-2003, 10:53 AM
If you want a "TURBO" then buy GN!!! There is idea!!!!!

number1
12-03-2003, 11:58 AM
I hate that setup. Remote mounting is not for performance. The best place for a turbocharger to be is as close to the hot exhaust gases as possible. If you watch there videos, you can count how long the turbo lag is in minutes. I would hate to build boost that slow.

BAD LS1
12-03-2003, 01:50 PM
Yeah im proabaly just gonna stick to my guns and try my hardest to go for some records on stock heads N/A worst case scenario it might take a little N2o to meet or exceed my high 10 sec goal for next year.

Al
12-03-2003, 06:04 PM
what about when the turbo gets hot and then gets wet.

Hot metal + H2O = cracked metal

BTW- it weill require lots of header wrap to keep the temp up so pressure and flow don't go down for the compressor.

BAD LS1
12-03-2003, 06:26 PM
Yeah i think i will just save my money like a good boy and use it wisely else well on the car.

Tommy