PDA

View Full Version : Company is Downsizing

y2kws6
08-06-2008, 09:41 AM
They are eliminating my department(s) at the end of the month. I was the Corporate Project Manager and Corporate Quality Manager for Enercon Industries Corp (http://www.enerconind.com/index.aspx). I had implemented many processes which ultimately eliminated my position at the company.

Here is a link to my resume: Click Here (http://www.milwaukeejobs.com/resumes.asp?pagemode=17&rid=7312008104029J9SMA544K699282KY26&res_tx=1&res_pr=1&res_cl=0&res_qa=0&entry_mode=2)

I would prefer an Operations Management position, but I will accept Production Manager, Quality Manager, or Facility Manager Position. My focus is to do my job and have the ability to use my lean/six sigma abilities and MBA schooling.

If anyone knows anyone that may be hiring please let me know or feel free to give them my resume.

I am willing to drive up to 30 miles from Hartford/Hartland WI (I live in between).

Thank you in advance.

Dan Kuehn
Corporate Project Manager &
Quality Assurance Manager
262-250-3161 work
414-305-6530 cell

PureSound15
08-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Sorry to hear man -

Check out Theladders.com, I had many head-hunters find me on there. A majority of the postions are middle management or higher.

Moparjim
08-06-2008, 09:49 AM
I'd start with a spelling and grammar check...:goof

LIL EVO
08-06-2008, 10:37 AM
"create, created, create" is used three times in your first job on your resume. I'd recommend using those types of words once throughout your resume.

Also if you have another email address that is more "professional" I would use that.

You also say that you "improve" and "increase" things with Enercon. What types of increases are they? x when you started compared to y after you did z.

wrath
08-06-2008, 01:03 PM
You need to clean out stuff that isn't related to the particular job that you want. There is entirely too much stuff in your resume. You can make it look like less with creative formatting.

I'd scrap the Best Buy stuff and minimize what's below Johnson Controls unless you're older than I think you are. If you're really looking for a management position then keep the management part and a little of the technical.

The grammar in your resume needs some serious help, especially for someone that has a MBA.

Get a gmail account. Don't pick a username like "littlegirlsbicycleseatsniffer@gmail" but something more reasonable.

Don't talk about donating. Talk about volunteering your time.

On another note...

I recommend not looking for a management position. There are tons of people out there looking for management positions. There are entirely too many chiefs and not enough indians.

jbiscuit
08-06-2008, 01:14 PM
I'd suggest eliminating the "bragging" out of your resume also....

IE: Maintained over 400,000 square feet of zone maintenance. 200% more than my counterparts.

Saying you maintained 200% more than your counterparts is bragging. If you are an efficient worker, state that through facts. That goes for any resume. "I am responsible for 135,000 square feet. I maximized my time through the use of ______, _______ and ______."

I agree on eliminating the speedseekers email addy as well. Makes you appear less professional for sure.

y2kws6
08-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I agree with the Email address and will look into that. I need to put 10 years worth of employment and Best Buy with the others fall into that.

Again thank you for the reviews.
Dan

Moparjim
08-06-2008, 02:16 PM
True story.

We had an engineering opening years ago that I was asked to sift through the resumes for. I was then told by our plant manager that he "needs a woman" which I told him sounded like a personal problem.... ("diversity" goals dictated that we hire a woman)

Regardless, there were only two women in the bunch of resumes. One had an email address of "NOPANTS69@somewhere.com". Needless to say we hired the other one, despite my lobbying for Nopants69 lol!

shoooo32
08-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Get a gmail account. Don't pick a username like "littlegirlsbicycleseatsniffer@gmail" but something more reasonable.

:rolf:rolf:rolf

LIL EVO
08-06-2008, 02:33 PM
I think 10 years of employment is fine for an application, but I would limit a resume to 2 pages max with only relevant experience to the field you want.

You can always explain the gaps and provide them with interim work.

At least that's my thought.

wrath
08-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I agree with the Email address and will look into that. I need to put 10 years worth of employment and Best Buy with the others fall into that.

Again thank you for the reviews.
Dan

If you feel the need to have 10 years worth of employment I suggest crafting a resume for each job you apply for (you should anyway). Potential employers aren't interested in unrelated work experience. You're better off having a "skill" section and a "interests" section than having unrelated work experience.

I'm not involved with hiring "manager" types but I can tell you that I vertical-filed a bunch of resumes that had tons of unrelated work experience with great grades in favor of the poor schmuck that didn't have great grades but had interests that I deemed useful.

Holeshot
08-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Wow that sucks Dan.

If I can help in any way you have my # and you know where I live .... Off topic The house is great we have done a lot to make it ours. Thanks for the great deal and all you stuck in to it. Back on topic ..... Good luck on the job hunt.

y2kws6
08-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Wow that sucks Dan.

If I can help in any way you have my # and you know where I live .... Off topic The house is great we have done a lot to make it ours. Thanks for the great deal and all you stuck in to it. Back on topic ..... Good luck on the job hunt.

I drove by the other day coming back from Military and it looks like you were able to clean up underneath the front tree. Looks good. Glad you made it through the bad weather we had this year. I bet the Tim Taylor sump pump and battery backup were both going strong.

Dan

Firefighter Z
08-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Dan,

take a look at www.bucyrus.com and see what they have open.

tommyt5078
08-06-2008, 03:47 PM
Sorry to here your going to lose your job.

This might be a blessing for you.

It's a shame IMO the support we got from Enercon when we got a plasma treater install here at my work. It's funny to me that you work/worked in the QA area since it doesn't seem like Enercon had QA. IMO Enercon is a joke, but we and other need treaters, to do what we do.

Good luck to you, and I think you'll find a job quickly.

y2kws6
08-06-2008, 03:59 PM
I have been to Bucyrus and it is a great and HUGE company, but they are too far away. I now live just south of Hartford.

Tommy when did your receive the Treater? They have only had a QA position here for about a year. Another guy started and left and I came in. They had no way of measuring or reviewing anything. At least now they have inspection points and final checks along with some data analysis to look at. The customer service is normally really good since there are only 4 people that take calls and are available 24 hours a day. Even though I am only here for the remaining part of August I still like to see the company improve.

Dan

STANMAN
08-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Hello. I don't know if this would be along the lines of what you are looking for, but I know that we are currently looking for an Operations Manager, here's the qualification list:

Global Operations Manager
Milwaukee Wire Products/Charter Automotive

Date Open: 8/1/08
Date Closed: 8/8/08

POSITION SUMMARY: Lead and manage the operations footprint of the organization to deliver the lowest total cost supply chain to support our global customer base. Manage the continuous improvement projects of operations, including justification of capital and machinery, to achieve cost reductions, quality improvements and work simplification methods, improving the company’s competitive position.

MAJOR ACCOUNTABILITIES
 Foster a safe work environment in all operating locations
 Direct the introduction of new technology and processes into operations processes to achieve improvements in manufacturing, delivery, quality and cost.
 Develop and optimize global operations footprint that will meet strategic business goals
 Develop international supply chain and logistics organization that can address import/export, low cost country sourcing, environmental implications, and customer shipping satisfaction.
 Provide integration leadership on potential acquisitions.
 Drive continuous improvement throughout operations

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
 Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Business with a minimum of 10 years of experience at least five as the leader of an operation with multiple locations.
 Proven experience managing resources to consistently deliver world class safety, cost structure, and quality.
 Demonstrated success with supply chain and logistics management
 Strong communication skills – International Skills and cultural awareness
 Proven project management and delegation skills.
 Demonstrated problem solving and decision making skills.
 Confirmed success with investment in capital equipment and demonstrating ROI.

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
 Graduate Degree – MBA, Operations or Engineering – specialization in International Business or Supply Chain/Logistics
 Previous international assignments
 Experience in the automotive industry.

ORGANIZATIONAL RELATIONSHIPS
 Directly Reports to Vice President and General Manager

RESPONSIBILITIES FOR SUPERVISION
 North American Manufacturing
 European and Asian Manufacturing
 Manufacturing Engineering
 Purchasing and Supply Chain Management

Realize we are a hire from within company first, so internal applicants have until the 8th to apply. If we don't find anything within, we will be looking at outside candidates. Is this something along the lines of what you may be looking for??? (I live in West Bend, about a 30 minute drive for me)

y2kws6
08-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Yes that is what I am looking for and the distance is not too bad (43 minutes). Thank you for the heads up, I will keep an eye open for the posting.

Dan

STANMAN
08-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Yes that is what I am looking for and the distance is not too bad (43 minutes). Thank you for the heads up, I will keep an eye open for the posting.

Dan

Well I will let you know what happens either way. If you don't hear from me by the 15th, send me a PM!!!

05caddyext
08-06-2008, 05:27 PM
A resume should never be longer than 1 page. At least the resume you showcase when you send it out to prospective employers. You do not need to put your entire job history on there, you need to put forth your best skills/talents on it. When I worked for Roundy's, if I came across a resume that was more than a page long, I didn't even take my time to read it. And you also should absolutely not brag about any accomplishments, or downtalk any of your coworkers. Employers hate that, and it impresses noone. Everyong things they are the best at their job, while you may have been, you shouldn't ever say anything like that, bad first impression. You should always compare your level of work/accomplishments to your companies set benchmarks for those tasks, thats the real measure of talent.

BoosTT
08-06-2008, 05:55 PM
I usually hire one to two people a year... He are my tips: Resume is way too long, I read the first 2/3's of a page then skipped to the end where it had "Donated blah blah". I suggest keeping "good/prime" facts throughout your resume (split them up a bit). Same some good facts for during the interview too. It really helps. Otherwise, if the other canidate give three good solid facts during an interview, he's got the job.

JC70SS
08-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Dan sorry to hear about the job....something better will come. Anyway I would find a few GOOD recruiters. They will find you a good amount of jobs.

moels
08-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Realize we are a hire from within company first,

That made me giggle. My plant WAS a hire from within plant too.

Irish
08-06-2008, 08:53 PM
That made me giggle. My plant WAS a hire from within plant too.

Wouldn't that be promote from within?

moels
08-06-2008, 08:55 PM
Wouldn't that be promote from within?

Sorry, that is what I meant. :thumbsup

GRAMPS SS
08-06-2008, 10:22 PM
^^^^^^^^^^he's old....:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:ro lf:thumbsup

GRAMPS SS
08-06-2008, 10:46 PM
hope you find something dan....

Sprayaway Fox
08-07-2008, 01:48 AM
Check Sargento's website if you want they have a career center. Usually have things on there. Don't know if hiring for QA but give it a try. Usually people get bumped up to other jobs after a year. Worth a shot.

y2kws6
08-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Sargento would be nice but it is way too far away. I hope something happens before the end of the month, but we will see. I received 4 calls yesterday and have an interview set up for next week already (Back to a Facility Operations Manager for Heathcare, but the pay is great and it's a job).

michelle
08-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Have you checked out Sysco out in Jackson? They always seem to be hiring, but not sure what manager positions they have open.

www.syscoeast.com

Or even Quad Graphics, Coca-Cola, Harley, etc.

y2kws6
08-07-2008, 08:47 AM
I was not on Sysco (currently nothing, but thanks). I have been on the others and more.

Thanks for the pointers everyone.

Dan

PureSound15
08-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Are you a member of Linkedin? Professional networking site.

I've received an email here and there from that site as well, simply because someone looking to hire saw my name as a referral from one of their contacts.

y2kws6
08-07-2008, 08:56 AM
No but I am now.

Hopefully this thread can help others with opportunities as well.

Dan

Irish
08-07-2008, 11:53 AM
^^^^^^^^^^he's old....:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:ro lf:thumbsup

So am I. :goof