PDA

View Full Version : my best thread ever!!!

That_Guy
08-06-2008, 12:14 AM
i know i know... i post alot of shit that is totaly worthless but this just maybe the best thread i have ever made...

At midnight central standard time, August 8th, 2008, the injection of the first particle beam in the CERN Large Hadron Collider is set to take place. Scientists have theorized that the LHC may be capable of producing miniature black hole and though many have stated that these black holes will be harmless, there have been dissenting voices. Among these doomsayers is the renowned Stephen Hawking, who has stated that contrary to popular belief these black holes may be persistent rather than transient, and will result in the timely destruction of the earth as we know it.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/08/the_large_hadron_collider.html

so needless to say.. thursday night bend over and kiss your ass good by because if these people suceed we could possibly have a black whole created on earth.. thus sucking the whole ******* place in..

sleep tight.:rolf

Z28Envy
08-06-2008, 12:16 AM
I bet it won't want your cobalt though!:rolf

Yooformula
08-06-2008, 12:18 AM
thats going to be fun to watch, I believe it took over 20 years to build!

That_Guy
08-06-2008, 12:19 AM
thats going to be fun to watch, I believe it took over 20 years to build!

quoted from one of the guys who built this monster
"The last one is 'my' experiment. When I say mine, myself and about 700 other people from 48 institutes and labs all over the world collaborate to get her working, and to analyse the data from her. The two big experiments, CMS and ATLAS have a few thousand particle physicists working on them. The physics community is very good at ignoring political and racial borders, and on a few experiments we have israeli and palestinian researchers working side by side. We're more interested in understanding the universe than we are understanding human nature.

The difference between the collider and detectors is an important one, as essentially CERN designs and builds the collider, we design and build the experiments in our collaborations.

As it stands, we expect to get 'first beam' (someone will throw a few protons down the beampipe in one direction)sometime in the next couple of months, and 'first collisions' (we'll actually pull a spengler and cross the beams) in october/november. These will be at very low energies and only a few collisions at a time in order to test that everything i working ok, prior to ramping to full 'Luminosity' (Luminosity is what we call the intensity of the beam in terms of number of proton-proton collisions) sometime next year.

Even once we have done all of this, don't expect discovery of the higgs or any 'new physics' from the LHC for at least another year- the first year will be spent calibrating our detectors, making sure we understand the data they produce, and ironing out flaws. After that, we'll be able to start doing the analysis, and hopefully answer a few pretty fundamnetal questions:

1) Why do the different particles observed in nature have mass, and why do their masses vary? This we beleive to be as a result of the elusive Higgs boson (particle). This is the LHC's main raison d'etre, its reason to be. If we find the Higgs, it means that many theorists will breathe a sigh of relief, and many experimentalists will end up redundant, as it sort of wraps up a lot of our work.
If we don't find it, it is perhaps more interesting than if we do- the model of paerticle physics as we see it almost by definition requires the Higgs to make sense. If we don't see it, it means exciting times ahead for experimentalists and theorists alike.... Both CMS and ALTLAS are looking for the higgs.

2) Why is the universe made of matter? This may seem like an odd question, but bear with me. The Big Bang as we understand it made equal amounts of matter and antimatter. It is the only way to balance the cosmic checkbook. Why, then, are only 1 in 10 billion particles in our universe antimatter? We can make it in the lab, and we know that when we do make it, we must conserve some physical laws that mean we must also bring into existence matter in equal amounts. My experiment intends to answer this, the LHCb.

3) What did the universe look like a few femtoseconds after the big bang? ALICE will be smashing nature's elementary hambeasts together to answer this. In ALICE lead ions will collide at nearly the speed of light, unleashing so much energy in such a small space that temperatures and conditions close to the big bang will be brought about. This is where the blackholes come in. At these energies, temperatures, and pressures it may be possible to spontaneously create supermicro black holes. Will they absorb the earth? No. They will live for no more than femtoseconds, and the only way we'll be able to detect them is by the minute effects they will have on the surrounding particles they either decay into, or disrupt minutely in their path.

I hope this clears things up for you all, remember that it will be quite some time before the LHC 'switches on', and although it will mean I'll be partying later with my physics buddies, it isn't really going to be a very exciting affair for most people. We will be pretty busy holding our breath and hoping that we've got everything right. Not because we're concerned about catastrophies on a global scale, but on a much smaller one: Thousands of scientists around the world have spent years trying to get this going. If the beams aren't precisely aligned, or if we've gotten even some tiny aspect of the experiments/collider wrong, we could lose all that work from the damage a high energy proton beam can inflict on nearby material. It'll be harmless to everyone, as we'll be 160m above where the beams collide, but it could be devastating to our sensitive experiments."

lasttimearound
08-06-2008, 12:20 AM
way the f*ck over my head, but this pic cracked my up...

http://cache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/lhc_08_01/lhc9.jpg

mostly because the caption talked about the french fire dept. f*cking french homo's. they are pusses at everything they do arent they?

That_Guy
08-06-2008, 12:20 AM
I bet it won't want your cobalt though!:rolf

i hope not.:rolf

nismodave
08-06-2008, 12:30 AM
I have a bad feeling about this.

70 cutlass 442
08-06-2008, 12:33 AM
way the f*ck over my head, but this pic cracked my up...

http://cache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/lhc_08_01/lhc9.jpg

mostly because the caption talked about the french fire dept. f*cking french homo's. they are pusses at everything they do arent they?

I laughed my ass off on this. multi billion dollar project and thats that they have for a rescue personal? that makes me think of austin powers on the gold cart

That_Guy
08-06-2008, 12:36 AM
I have a bad feeling about this.

yep. apparently there are people throwing dooms day parties all over the world.. my buddy is having one on thursday then we are all going down to jazz in the park :rolf

rally_scort
08-06-2008, 12:45 AM
Leave it to the stupids across the pond, to **** with nature some more.When are we gunna figure out enough is enough.Just because we can build some contraption with a bunch of colored wires, doesnt mean we should try and see what it can do.How about focusing all that brain power on curing cancer, preventing drunk drivers,curing AIDS,and helping design appealing cars from Pontiac.Just goes to show how much we neglect the important things that would actually make a difference :rolleyes:

boostin350z
08-06-2008, 12:47 AM
i take it this is directly related to the company that created antimatter (this was discussed in the book Angels & Demons-Dan Brown)??

GTSLOW
08-06-2008, 01:44 AM
http://cache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/lhc_08_01/lhc18.jpg

WHOLY MAGNET!!!

Oh and if there was really something to worry about I think we'd have seen it on the news. This is the first I've heard of this waste of copper.

Silver86
08-06-2008, 01:59 AM
i cant wait! being someone who is into this kind of stuff, thursday night will be a good one! just too bad ill be at work...

PureSound15
08-06-2008, 08:50 AM
I remember watching a show about this on HD Theatre, I'm pretty excited to see what happens.

Mr Twigbert
08-06-2008, 08:56 AM
If these people fuggup my world I'm gonna be pissed..

SmokinRAM114
08-06-2008, 09:25 AM
this is what its guna sound like when they start it -->> hold my beer, stand back and watch this shit!!

the US better have a missle ready! LOL

boostaddict14
08-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Pretty cool but I agree something not to be taken lightly. Oh and btw you wouldn't see this one the news because the American media sucks. And they'll just talk about homicides, bombings and robberies instead.

Cryptic
08-06-2008, 10:53 AM
We're all gonna die!

<runs around in circles>

wikked
08-06-2008, 10:58 AM
08/08/08

Fear the LHC

http://www.st.com/stonline/stappl/publish/stwebresources/PL__Press__Release/CERN_LHC_t2030shigh.jpeg

Irish
08-06-2008, 11:17 AM
^ That is going to make a black hole? This question is for the einstiens on this board.

If it is successful what is the worst that can happen? What is the best that can happen? and finally what purpose will it serve?

Make sure to put it into lamen's terms!

PureSound15
08-06-2008, 11:26 AM
The worst that could happen -

They create a black whole which would create a huge vaccum (since a black hole is such a strong gravitational force that not even light can escape). Maybe it would throw everything off, and we as a human race would be sucked into the black hole, never to be seen again.

OR they create a massive blast of energy greater than the power of the atom bomb
(I have no idea if that's realistic, I'm sure I'm missing something)

The best -

Further understanding of black holes, how our universe started, further understanding of matter as a whole.

That's kind of what they said in the TV show I watched. But - I'm sure there's someone on here that is much more informed than I.

PureSound15
08-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Meh - I guess we're not going to die.

Could the Large Hadron Collider destroy Earth?
By Chris Gaylord | 07.01.08
E-mail a friend Print this Letter to the Editor Republish ShareThisGet e-mail alerts RSS
Now that the European Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is completed and ready to fire up in August, a slew of articles have popped up quoting doomsayers. An AP article from this weekend was the most recent example of critics warning that the 17-mile, $5.8 billion supercollider – which will slam protons together in an attempt to learn more about the building blocks of the universe – will inadvertently create a black hole that will gobble up the Earth.

So, will the most ambitious science project in human history end human history? No.

I should say “no, according to scientists working on the LHC.” But the evidence points to a resounding “no.”

A study released last month disassembled the arguments against powering up the collider. The report found “no basis for concerns that [small] black holes from the LHC could pose a risk to Earth on timescales shorter than the Earth’s natural lifetime.” In other words: Yes, it could happen, but chances are the sun will burn out before this collider can have an Earth-ending mishap.

Their reasoning? Slashdot puts it best: “Everything that will be created at the LHC is already being created by cosmic rays. If a black hole created by the LHC is interactive enough to destroy the world within the lifetime of the sun, similar black holes are already being created by cosmic rays.”

If such black holes were naturally flinging around in the universe, they would bump up against “dense cosmic objects,” such as neutron stars, and over time the black holes would swallow the star. But, from looking through telescopes we know that there are plenty of old neutron stars around. So, if it’s safe for them, it’s also safe for us. “Any black hole that could be created at the LHC, even if it is stable, would have no effect on the earth on any meaningful timescale,” Slashdot says.

This conclusion is backed by the European agency that runs the LHC, a panel of independent scientists, the US Department of Energy, the US National Science Foundation, and science star Stephen Hawking – who argues that even if black holes developed, “they would instantly evaporate.”

That’s good enough for me.

http://features.csmonitor.com/innovation/2008/07/01/could-the-large-hadron-collider-destory-earth/

torque.hit
08-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Reminds me of the machine from Contact.

Voodoo Chick
08-06-2008, 11:34 AM
I understand that these people just want to gain a greater knowledge, but I truly wish they would just leave well enough alone. I read a book once, which had a quote in it that said: "Don't f*ck with the Infinite." It had an ominous ring of truth to it, and I wish people would just live their lives and stop trying to be God. Just my opinion.

Nix
08-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Waste of time and money if you ask me. they can build this contraption but yet they have not found a cure for the common cold? Along with all the disease in the world, AID's? Whats that?

Makes me wonder...:rolleyes:

Prince Valiant
08-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Here's what I gather (little to no new insight, obviously...I must admit ignorance here):

It appears that we don't really KNOW if a (or many) small black holes will result...in theory, they think it will.

These Black holes, IF they occur, present NO threat, as they occur repeatedly in nature with no apparent/significant effects.

Hawking has been invoked twice...one stating this experiment is too dangerous to conduct, and another stating these (black holes) shouldn't present a threat (the latter is not directly attributed to him per se, just an organization which he's part of). These aren't necessarily mutually exclusive notions, in that he probably feels the mini-blackholes shouldn't present a threat, but doesn't want to risk testing it.

As far as the reported "worst case scenario" of basically everything colliding and collapsing into these mini black holes, I would highly doubt that; why? We theorize of larger black holes within the universe, large enough to bend light or the popular "space-time continuum" VERY significantly...if these VASTLY larger/massive objects haven't caused the universe to collapse on itself already...and don't forget, these theorized black holes would have been gaining mass everyday for literally BILLIONS of years.

However, where I remain uncertain on that end is that maybe the only reason the universe has yet to collapse on itself is due to the sheer power/speed of the expansion of the universe too. It'd be a fun question to ask some astrophysicist.

What appears to be the REAL "worst case scenario" is simply that these black-holes don't dissipate, and they begin the process of causing the world/solar system to collapse....however, this is believed to be such a slow process that essentially the sun would burn out LONG before that happens.

Best case, they all talk about learning the beginnings of the universe and how it formed. To what end that will help, is still not really known...what WILL it do for us? But that's part of the discovery process, it's almost like exploration. What we think we might be able to benefit might be completely different than what we'll actually come to gain from it (Think Columbus finding a different way to india, and inadvertently discovering America).

My personal opinion is that this understanding of matter and how it forms could be quite useful, potentially when dealing with energy concerns given the mass-energy connection. This might give us that little more information we need to make nuclear fusion a reality....or it might show us a completely new avenue to fuel the future. Really, who knows?

I imagine cavemen at some far off time went through similar debates though when a couple of them got together and started rubbing dry twigs together; "Ug! What are you doing?!? This could start a fire that would consume the whole cave! Perhaps the whole Valley! A fire that might never be contained!" Along with accusations of trying a play "god" to whom they received lightning from previously, lol.

Crawlin
08-06-2008, 02:47 PM
08/08/08

Fear the LHC

http://www.st.com/stonline/stappl/publish/stwebresources/PL__Press__Release/CERN_LHC_t2030shigh.jpeg

Spaceballs 1..... They've gone to PLAID!!!!

That_Guy
08-06-2008, 03:12 PM
^ That is going to make a black hole? This question is for the einstiens on this board.

If it is successful what is the worst that can happen? What is the best that can happen? and finally what purpose will it serve?

Make sure to put it into lamen's terms!

we have some place to throw are garbage instead of land fills

boostin350z
08-06-2008, 03:47 PM
i saw these pics in popular science. kinda wonder whats gonna happen if they ****ed up. "uhh we added one too many zeros...." yea about that

Berettaspeed
08-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Looks like something Tesla would try and do.

GTSLOW
08-06-2008, 09:05 PM
we have some place to throw are garbage instead of land fills

:rolf thats awesome.

07ROUSHSTG3
08-06-2008, 09:09 PM
new place to send child molestors, liberals, and senior citizens that cannot drive.

Rocket Power
08-06-2008, 09:16 PM
.How about focusing all that brain power on curing cancer, preventing drunk drivers,curing AIDS,and helping design appealing cars from Pontiac.:rolf:rolf:rolf

Lash
08-06-2008, 09:31 PM
So what exactly is this thing supposed to do?

SSDude
08-06-2008, 09:55 PM
08/08/08

Fear the LHC

If you squint a little you can see the flux capacitor in the back:stare

GRAMPS SS
08-06-2008, 10:15 PM
here's my black hole.....fear this...

O

Cryptic
08-07-2008, 12:15 AM
I dunno.... I think the whole thing is a hoax. Something looks oddly familiar to me

http://crypticvault.com/pics/lhc1.jpg
http://crypticvault.com/pics/lhc2.jpg
http://crypticvault.com/pics/lhc3.jpg

Prince Valiant
08-07-2008, 12:25 AM
Which planet is it going to blow up?

lasttimearound
08-07-2008, 12:45 AM
are we dead yet? if so, YES!!!! they have jack and wild turkey here!

That_Guy
08-07-2008, 05:21 PM
new place to send child molestors, liberals, and senior citizens that cannot drive.

QFT

2000navyz
08-07-2008, 06:28 PM
wow... im gonna go hide out in the nearest bomb shelter

07ROUSHSTG3
08-08-2008, 07:32 AM
still alive

That_Guy
08-08-2008, 07:42 AM

bomb shelters cant save you from this one..:rolf

That_Guy
08-08-2008, 07:45 AM
still alive

midnight to night central standard time

Flicktitty
08-08-2008, 07:53 AM
midnight to night central standard time

:rolleyes:

Breecher_7
08-08-2008, 07:58 AM

You can come hang out in mine..... Because if Obama gets elected Im building one...... :thumbsup

That_Guy
08-08-2008, 11:05 AM
:rolleyes:

when your body starts getting pulled twards a black hole im totally going to say i told you so

Irish
08-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Will this be broadcasted on TV?

Flicktitty
08-08-2008, 11:26 AM
when your body starts getting pulled twards a black hole im totally going to say i told you so

i'll be waiting lol :thumbsup

Cryptic
08-08-2008, 11:28 AM
no one liked my photoshop'ing :(
What a waste of 15 minutes :goof

I'm curious too if its going to be televised.

Prince Valiant
08-08-2008, 12:04 PM
I liked it dude!

probably won't be on tv...really nothing to see, nothing will be moving, and it'll probably be one of those things that takes month to analyze what actually happened...boy science isn't as exciting as it is in the movies, eh?

Cryptic
08-08-2008, 12:45 PM
I liked it dude!

probably won't be on tv...really nothing to see, nothing will be moving, and it'll probably be one of those things that takes month to analyze what actually happened...boy science isn't as exciting as it is in the movies, eh?

I can see it now....

Lots of scientists in white coats standing around, we hear a little "click", nothing visible happens, and then all mad scientists start jumping up and down, cheering in excitement.

And everyone watching on TV is like: :confused WTF... that's it? :confused

CobraSnake
08-08-2008, 01:37 PM
I can see it now....

Lots of scientists in white coats standing around, we hear a little "click", nothing visible happens, and then all mad scientists start jumping up and down, cheering in excitement.

And everyone watching on TV is like: :confused WTF... that's it? :confused

couldn't have quoted it better myself

GTSLOW
08-08-2008, 01:53 PM
So what happened?

You can come hang out in mine..... Because if Obama gets elected Im building one...... :thumbsup

:rolf care to throw an addition on for my family.

That_Guy
08-08-2008, 05:33 PM
i also doubt they will broadcast this on tv the Olympics are more important.

srt4eh
08-09-2008, 06:54 AM
unfortunately...i'm still in Afghanistan so the black hole didn't suck me in.

BTW - i laughed hard at the photoshops....a couple people from my B-Hut had to come by and see. Then they asked so you think your Neon is a muscle car? damn.....

That_Guy
08-09-2008, 08:36 AM
unfortunately...i'm still in Afghanistan so the black hole didn't suck me in.

BTW - i laughed hard at the photoshops....a couple people from my B-Hut had to come by and see. Then they asked so you think your Neon is a muscle car? damn.....

:rolf lol...

07ROUSHSTG3
09-08-2008, 10:10 AM
this thread is back from the dead. found this article today?!?! confused, i thought that it was turned on last month?!?!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24525554

That_Guy
09-08-2008, 10:15 AM
this thread is back from the dead. found this article today?!?! confused, i thought that it was turned on last month?!?!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24525554

they did fire it last month it was a test fire... this time round i guess its for real...

Syclone0044
09-08-2008, 02:28 PM
no one liked my photoshop'ing :(
What a waste of 15 minutes :goof

I'm curious too if its going to be televised.

LMAO! I liked it! :thumbsup I missed it the 1st time around. Here's a direct link in case anyone else wanted to see: http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showpost.php?p=417498&postcount=37

BTW I know what you mean about wasting your time and hardly anyone responds sometimes.

07ROUSHSTG3
09-09-2008, 03:14 PM
another story about it. people are actually so worried that they filed a lawsuit, LOL!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24556999/?GT1=43001

CobraSnake
09-09-2008, 03:39 PM
another story about it. people are actually so worried that they filed a lawsuit, LOL!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24556999/?GT1=43001

wow this is really freaking people out. I also saw a bunch of threads over on svtperformance and they were all scared about it. Don't they do it tomorrow???

Mark

Cryptic
09-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Google home page today.
http://www.google.com/logos/lhc.gif (http://www.google.com/search?q=Large+Hadron+Collider&hl=en)

That_Guy
09-10-2008, 08:41 AM
WELL ... if shit goes down at least i wont have to worry about payingmy car payment next month... " the bright side"

GTSLOW
09-10-2008, 09:07 AM
http://public.web.cern.ch/public/

Live webcast?

http://webcast.cern.ch/

That_Guy
09-10-2008, 09:24 AM
sounds like it worked? from what i gathered

edit...

from what i gathered it was one of a few test fires

Cryptic
09-10-2008, 09:37 AM
well that was pretty un-exciting.

So the point of all this is to make new particles. Then what? Do they even know?

That_Guy
09-10-2008, 10:23 AM
well that was pretty un-exciting.

So the point of all this is to make new particles. Then what? Do they even know?

no kidding.. it sounds like a huge waist of money considering it didnt make an awesome black hole...

07ROUSHSTG3
09-10-2008, 10:31 AM
14 years and $10,000,000,000!!! what a waste.

That_Guy
09-10-2008, 10:54 AM
dudes could have built a cure for cancer for that much

Cryptic
09-10-2008, 01:05 PM
later in the video they said something to the effect of understanding how the beginning of the universe started. These particles no longer exist on earth and they are recreating them. Then some other stuff about dark matter...

dudes could have built a cure for cancer for that much
Funny you say that because the technology they have developed will be moved into medical applications. The equipment they use to monitor these new particles will be used to more acurately identify cancer, in the brain for example.

And the technology used to very accurately guide the proton particles will be used for guiding cancer destroying waves (i think) very accurately without affecting normal tissues.

They took precision onto a whole new level.

GTSLOW
09-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Funny you say that because the technology they have developed will be moved into medical applications. The equipment they use to monitor these new particles will be used to more acurately identify cancer, in the brain for example.

And the technology used to very accurately guide the proton particles will be used for guiding cancer destroying waves (i think) very accurately without affecting normal tissues.

They took precision onto a whole new level.

If that's the case I really hope the best for them. A cure for any of the millions of things out there would be awesome.

lilws6
09-10-2008, 10:32 PM
well if they plan on using that on me they better find a way to shrink that shit down a bit and mass produce it ford did it why can't they lol