PDA

View Full Version : the new BIC cell phone

Flicktitty
08-05-2008, 01:35 PM
LINKY HERE (http://www.highsnobiety.com/home/the_daily_news/archive/2008/august/04/the_bic_phone_by_orange/index.htm)

http://www.highsnobiety.com/uploads/RTEmagicC_bic_orange_mobilephone.jpg.jpg

Sometimes the easiest and simplest ideas are the best. Orange France now teamed up with Bic, best known for their lighters and pens, to create the first "Ready-to-Call" cellphone. And for the first time the name actually makes sense and holds true.

Not only do you get a phone and 60 minutes of talk time included in the 49 Euro package (about 62 USD), but the phone comes pre-charged, which means that you can actually start calling right after purchase. It's the perfect phone for tourists or when you simply run out of battery.

We also find it brilliant that Orange teamed up with Bic. Because what does Bic stand for at the end of the day? Cheap, decent quality and distributed EVERYWHERE. If they used the Bic distribution for the phone, this can be a huge success.

Also the design looks decent. We can even see the Bic phone becoming a cool accessory to have. Now it just needs to be more widely available, hopefully also outside France, and it will be a hit.

The Bic Phone is now available in the Colette online store. (http://www.colette.fr/)

------------

Anyone else see anything bad coming from this? lol

07ROUSHSTG3
08-05-2008, 02:31 PM
ummmm, is this simply a pay as you go phone?? then i am confused as to why this is a big deal? aren't there already a bunch of these things on the store shelves, or is this one the only one of its kind?

Flicktitty
08-05-2008, 02:35 PM
ummmm, is this simply a pay as you go phone?? then i am confused as to why this is a big deal? aren't there already a bunch of these things on the store shelves, or is this one the only one of its kind?

it sounds like its a disposable one time use kind of thing.

charged battery, and a set amount of time.

MoCkiN U
08-05-2008, 02:35 PM
this would be the only one of its kind that has minutes on it ready to go. No call in to activate waiting for customer service where ever you are, no need to charge. Open package and turn it on then call.

Others require setup time/charging

DirtyMax
08-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Hopefully you can reload that bugger. Buck a minute (even with the phone included) is pretty steep... I tried to go to the site for more info but I am not waiting for the flash to load...

MoCkiN U
08-05-2008, 02:50 PM
its in euro so it might be a gsm device which would be cool for international travelers. that would be about it

CobraSnake
08-05-2008, 03:02 PM
this would be the only one of its kind that has minutes on it ready to go. No call in to activate waiting for customer service where ever you are, no need to charge. Open package and turn it on then call.

Others require setup time/charging

if thats the case those phones will get stolen every 5 minutes.

Mark

wikked
08-05-2008, 07:08 PM
$62!!! **** that.

You can just buy a car charger/regular charger at Walmart for $12, god knows they're everywhere you're vacationing.

RanJer
08-05-2008, 07:11 PM
$62 and it doesn't even have a pop out Pen or Lighter... way to go Bic.. :lol

Now that's what I really need... A Swiss Army Phone :durr

boostaddict14
08-05-2008, 08:49 PM
good deal this will work well for me in europe

BoosTT
08-05-2008, 08:54 PM
sounds perfect for those "keep one in the car" people.

07ROUSHSTG3
08-05-2008, 08:57 PM
sounds perfect for those "keep one in the car" people.

i wonder how the network support will be?? i guess it would be kind of neat to take hunting or fishing where your normal phone is in danger of getting lost or wrecked.

MoCkiN U
08-05-2008, 09:11 PM
they have to have some sort of network support. They are probably using a national provider network roaming type deal just dont know who?

88Nightmare
08-05-2008, 09:48 PM
so if you just open the package and just go, that means they will all already have its own number set into it, so if its just a disposable phone, seems like they will be burning up a lot of available phone numbers.

DirtyMax
08-05-2008, 10:16 PM
You can get 10,000 numbers out of one 3 digit prefix and at a buck a minute, I don't think they'll sell like hotcakes. Most people would probably just assume add an occasional user to their account for $10-15 a month and be done with it. Who knows though... seems like a niche product IMO.

MoCkiN U
08-05-2008, 11:09 PM
well he is right though. If they are packaged and set to a region code then they have to have a number in them. Milwaukee hasnt seen impact much but northern IL had to issue a alternate area code for 847 in the form of 224.

Probably wont impact us for anything but the thought is right on

nismodave
08-05-2008, 11:13 PM
Great Idea!!!

DirtyMax
08-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Isn't this kind of along the same lines as Tracfone and/or Virgin Mobile? Maybe not I don't know... I'm just a washed up retired cell phone dude.

Reverend Cooper
08-05-2008, 11:23 PM
what i wanna know is can i use it to shave my ballz,if not forget it

Sprayaway Fox
08-06-2008, 01:24 AM
Gonna get one for christmas so I can shave my beard and talk on the phone while driving to work.:rolf:rolf Great idea! Next.. Coors Light SHAVING cans!:alcoholic:alcoholic :headbang

pOrk
08-06-2008, 01:48 AM
If I was a terrorist, I would have this phone.