PDA

View Full Version : Hooray for new brakes!!!!

johnny--2k
08-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Well, they just came in here at work. Should be getting them installed shortly by one of the techs. Just a few quick cell phone pics! Look awesome, cant wait to get them on!

Stillen Pillar Vane Slotted Rotors with Hawk LTS pads for all 4 corners!!!! :drool::drool:

Sorry, I'm a bit exited about this purchase. Been wanting to get these for a while, plus I just got a raise at work, so it made the deal (and shitty morning) that much sweeter!

jbiscuit
08-05-2008, 10:25 AM
pics no workie.

johnny--2k
08-05-2008, 10:27 AM
oh damn.....let me see what I can do. Ok, I attached them, dont know how to get them to show. They are in my "garage" as well....

Smokey1226
08-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Shoulda went Stoptech all the way around :D But Hawk pads are super nice!!

johnny--2k
08-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Nothing available for the SRT from stoptech.....

Hawk LTS: New pads, bite of a semi-metallic/metallic, and the low dust of a ceramic! Best of both worlds!

0TransAm0
08-05-2008, 10:39 AM
Looks good but i think the stapler might get in the way..

johnny--2k
08-05-2008, 10:47 AM
:rolf Guy on the Cherokee forum wanted a size comparison, stapler was the first thing I had within arms reach in my office!

Flicktitty
08-05-2008, 11:33 AM
looks pretty good, can't wait to see them on the jeep.

WhatsADSM
08-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Looks good.

Must take a lot to stop all that inertia, the Jeep is a big *****!

johnny--2k
08-05-2008, 12:10 PM
YES! According to my last run a few weeks ago on the stock brakes that are PIECED at 29K miles, I was able to clip off a 1.01G 70-0 stop. Hopefully, these improve a bit. We all know how accurate those G-Tech's are though :rolleyes:

PureSound15
08-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Pretty small stapler :)

boostin350z
08-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Shoulda went Stoptech all the way around :D But Hawk pads are super nice!!

dont mean to hijack your thread, but he mentioned stoptechs, and i just got mine on and i have to show them off :headbang

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m15/z33_drift_king/08-05-08_1246.jpg

355mm of stopping joy

Yooformula
08-05-2008, 12:55 PM
damm I thought those rigs came with badass brakes already..

Flicktitty
08-05-2008, 01:06 PM
damm I thought those rigs came with badass brakes already..

factory Brembo's

johnny--2k
08-05-2008, 01:12 PM
You got it! 4 Piston Brembos on each corner. 360MM front and 350MM rear

From Edmunds.com.....

four-piston Brembo calipers and massive 14.2-inch front and 13.8-inch rear discs with standard ABS and BrakeAssist technology. The Brembos lived up to their lofty reputation. Our SRT8 needed just 120 feet to stop from 60 mph, and the binders showed absolutely no fade in four successive panic stops from that speed. Pedal feel and modulation are excellent.

Not a bad stopping distance for a 4920LB curb weight!

A B4C Z
08-05-2008, 01:29 PM
nice looking rotors for sure. pricey?

Smokey1226
08-05-2008, 01:59 PM
dont mean to hijack your thread, but he mentioned stoptechs, and i just got mine on and i have to show them off :headbang

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m15/z33_drift_king/08-05-08_1246.jpg

355mm of stopping joy

OHHHH sweet Jusus! Thats what im talking about :thumbsup

johnny--2k
08-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Rotors & Pads, all 4 corners for $860 shipped. Not too shabby!

MoCkiN U
08-05-2008, 02:40 PM
^holy fricken crap. DAMN thats a lot for brakes. These must be top of the top of the line or something

johnny--2k
08-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Considering the dealership wants $760 for the OEM blank rotors and stupid high dusting Brembo pads, it's not that bad of a deal!

After talking with stillen, I determined this was the best route to go. Its a bit of a read, but Jade (from stillen) knows here stuff on brakes!!! On average, the pillar vanes (which are what I got) will go through 3-4 sets of pads before needing to be replaced!

Edit: As you will see at the bottom, with the Hawk pads, it should have been $980, but since I was going to go with the regular Sport rotors, and not the Pillar Vane initially and she was out of stock and back ordered on those, she gave me the deal for the cheaper pads, but with the Hawks instead!

About your factory Brembo rotors/pads:
-What's wrong with my factory rotors? The factory rotors on your Jeeps are produced with High Carbon content iron (sometimes referred to as "damped" iron). The advantage to using damped iron in rotors is that it reduces the squeaking or ringing that often happens with larger diamater rotors. The downside is that the high carbon content makes the material VERY soft, which causes them to wear out sooner. Also, the pads used cause the "warping" problem that Jeep guys usually are plagued with. If the pads contain too much resin and the rotors don't disperse heat well, everything gets WAY TOO HOT. Here's an example: You're coming down a big hill, and come to a stop at the light at the bottom. Just sitting at the stoplight with hot pads pressed against hot rotors can cause an imprint of the pad to sear itself onto the rotor, depositing some of the carbon from the pad onto the surface of the rotor and hardening it at that spot (sometimes almost to the strength of steel). The rest of your rotors will continue to wear as normal, but that hardened spot won't wear. This is what causes the vibration and shaking that these vehicles are so known for. And, these rotors typically won't survive more than one set of pads (that is, every time you replace your pads, you'll usually need to replace your rotors).

Dealer cost for a set of 4 factory rotors: $195/each ($780/set of 4)

STILLEN Sport Rotors vs. R1 Sport Rotors:
-Why are sport rotors better than my factory rotors? Sport rotors are typically constructed from a more user-friendly grade of iron than a factory rotor. This iron has a lower carbon content, which makes the rotor wear longer. Also, sport rotors are usually available in some combination of cross-drilled, slotted or both.

-Ok, so what makes STILLEN rotors better than the competition? The main difference with STILLEN Sport Rotors, besides careful material selection, is that the holes are drilled and radius chamfered using a special tool. What this means is that each hole drilled in one of our rotors has a rounded edge, as opposed to the angled chamfer commonly used. This gives you a longer life span on the rotor before you experience problems like spider-web cracking around the holes (which is common with vehicles that are taken to the track). We have also paid careful attention to the drill pattern of our rotors. While perfectly straight lines of drilled holes may be pretty, depending on the angle and spacing, they may not allow for a full sweep of the pad face, which will increase both pad/rotor wear and brake noise. STILLEN customers typically report a life span that is 2x longer or more than a factory rotor.

STILLEN Cross Drilled OR Slotted Sport Rotors - Includes STILLEN Metal Matrix Semi-Metallic Brake Pads ($136 value): $465/set of 4 DELIVERED

STILLEN Cross Drilled OR Slotted Sport Rotors - Includes Hawk Ceramic Brake Pads: $640/set of 4 DELIVERED

STILLEN Pillar Vane Rotors vs. Everything Else:
-Those Pillar Vane rotors cost more...what makes them worth it? Your trucks are heavy. To compound that, popular wheels for these vehicles are typically 22" or larger, which increases the unsprung weight of the vehicle. Slowing all that weight causes heat, which is the #1 source of brake problems. The iron that the Pillar Vane rotors are constructed from is the highest quality available. These rotors go through a special cooling process, which involves re-heating and re-cooling the metal to thermally stabilize it and allow it to "settle" before it goes through the final grinding process. The 144 teardrop and diamond shaped pillars inside the rotor allow it to cool 20% better than even our sport rotor, keeping heat out of the brakes and the wheel bearings, saving money and problems in the long run. Due to the materials and manufacturing techniques, we have seen an ENORMOUS increase in rotor life from these rotors, so much so that several customers will actually sell the vehicle before they need a new set. Service managers at several Jeep dealerships swear by STILLEN Pillar Vane rotors, due to feedback (or lack thereof!) from customers as well as their own personal experience.

STILLEN cost for a set of 4 Pillar Vane Rotors - Includes Semi-Metallic Pads: $860/set of 4 DELIVERED

STILLEN cost for a set of 4 Pillar Vane Rotors - Includes Hawk LTS Pads: $980/set of 4 DELIVERED

http://www.stillen.com/product_images/PON1050SB.jpg

lilws6
08-05-2008, 03:24 PM
what brand are the rotors powerslot has a set of 4 rotors for my car for $399 plus what ever pads. but thats alot of dough on brakes. Oh and i forgot to thank you for taking the time out of your day to notice my BCM shirt couple weeks ago at cousins

johnny--2k
08-05-2008, 03:32 PM
haha, no problem! The rotors are made for Stillen directly.

Powerslots are awesome. Had them on my S2000 with Hawk HPS pads and they were great!!!!

CobraSnake
08-05-2008, 03:33 PM
^holy fricken crap. DAMN thats a lot for brakes. These must be top of the top of the line or something

yeah I know right. I only paid 300 for all 4 rotors and pads for my mustang.

Mark

lilws6
08-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Powerslots are awesome. Had them on my S2000 with Hawk HPS pads and they were great!!!!

Thats what i was hoping to hear for when i get my brakes done there junk

boostin350z
08-06-2008, 12:54 AM
what brand are the rotors powerslot has a set of 4 rotors for my car for $399 plus what ever pads. but thats alot of dough on brakes.

for 4 rotors, thats not bad at all. considering most setups (for the z at least) run $600-$700 (which includes fluid, and ss lines) its not too shabby. those stoptechs made me broke. $1700 for the damn fronts. but hey, no brake fade, and i wont end up in a wall at the track