PDA

View Full Version : Rough running question

Want_Notch
08-05-2008, 07:26 AM
New to bikes.

1981 Yamaha XV920R

Picked it up in Madison this weekend. Ran great.
Rode it home and around all weekend. Ran great.

Now this am and all the way to work it kept dying, back-firing and sputering.
Twice when it died I couldn't get it restarted. It seemed as if the battery was dead but then I turned the key off then on and it would restart. Anyone have an idea of where to look?

Bike is in Mequon anyone wants to come look at it. I don't have alot of money to put into right now but if you help I'll buy lunch!

moels
08-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Fuel issue? Not sure if yours has a fuel guage or not, but it seems like you need to hit the reserve on your petcock and get to a gas station. Or maybe it needed more choke until it warmed up good. It's an older bike so it could be other things, just wanted to throw some ideas out there for you Mike.

Want_Notch
08-05-2008, 07:59 AM
The gas tank is full. I tried playing with the choke but I have a 40 mile ride to work so I would think it would be warm by the time I get to work....LOL

I am thinking the carbs are out of sync some how. Anyone know how the sync them?

twirkin50
08-05-2008, 08:49 AM
I am thinking the carbs are out of sync some how. Anyone know how the sync them?

This would be a possibility.

Was the bike sitting for a while? The jets / carbs could have some dirt in them.

Want_Notch
08-05-2008, 08:56 AM
He said it wasn't sitting long, but who knows.

lilws6
08-05-2008, 09:58 AM
i would say start with cleaning the carbs on it my snowmobile does somethign similar to what your stating when i forget to throw stabil in the tank and gtes varnish in the carbs a quick clean of jets and the bowl shes good to go

twirkin50
08-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Any updates?

Want_Notch
08-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Not yet, Still waiting for parts to come in. We know the starting circuit diode took a crap so I had to get that first. I found some info on Viragotech.com which sounds like what my issue is. Pretty sure I lost a cyclinder because the plug fouled, which is due to a vacuum problem all of these bikes have. This nice weather is killing me......

BLUTO
08-23-2008, 11:10 AM
If its still runnjng rough,& you didnt mess w/carbs---try a can of Seafoam in the gas tank;)

Want_Notch
08-25-2008, 12:47 PM
We fixed it. The run/off switch was bad causing the intermitant dieing and no restart issue.
Plus a can of seafoam ano she runs like a champ.

lilws6
08-27-2008, 09:11 PM
sea foam always works think i'll be running some through the gsxr soon