PDA

View Full Version : ~ Golf guru's ~ Matching clubs to My swing or strength ?

awsomeears
08-04-2008, 08:08 AM
How do you guys Match you clubs to your specific swing/strength ?

:thumbsup

jbiscuit
08-04-2008, 08:16 AM
proper club fitment is important. Shaft length and lie angle fit to your body type/height is key to hitting the ball solid. Also shaft stiffness. Guys have a tendency to think they need some Ultra stiff shafts when that usually isn't the case. I'd recommend having some at say golf galaxy look at your swing, check your height etc and "fit" you for clubs. Ping does a great job offering clubs that are custom fit to you. They come at a price though

Anakonda69
08-04-2008, 09:23 AM
there is a company who fitted me at the golf show. they are called tourswing. very nice clubs. a whole custom fit set woods and irons will cost less then just a set of ping irons. the lie angle is most important. steel shafts for irons is easy. standard flex steel shaft is usually more then enough for most. yeah i would go to golf galaxy and hit some off a launch monitor. if you know your clubhead speed it also helps in the fitting process. i would recommend going thru tourswing though. they fit at greenfields on hwy 100 and layton. great guys decently priced equipment.

Karps TA
08-04-2008, 09:41 AM
I prefer to just hit clubs and see how they feel myself. Every club/brand "feels" different to me. I almost have always gone into a place expecting to buy 1 club, and walked out buying a club I didn't consider cause when I hit them they felt right.

I think golf is all about confidence.

PureSound15
08-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Well - matching your shaft to your face speed is important. I have a ridiculously fast swing, so I've got very stiff shafts so that there isn't the delayed whipping action of the club (which adds a bit of speed to those with a very controlled, slower swing). But Jay is right, a lot of guys think they need a stiff thaft when they're 30 mph slower than what's normally considered the point for stiff shafts.

Some clubs do feel better than others. I have a Taylor Made rep for a neighbor, he was telling me the other night that some off the "knock-off" clubs are so close to the real thing that many people can't tell the difference and they perform much the same.

Smokey1226
08-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Theres more to swing speed in finding your correct shaft stiffness.

A lot of us (when you get to lower handicaps) want the most consistant setups as possible. That way we have nothing but ourselves to blame for any error. With that I went with the new TT Black Gold X flexs throughout. Untill my wedges i went with Stiff because typically im not loading them up as hard. They are computer matched between the whole set and are all within .01

I paid big $$$ for them but i love every minute im hitting them. Plus, depending on how good of a ball striker you are i would seriously consider blades or better yet a muscleback set from someone like Mizuno. Mine have been the BEST teaching aid i've ever had. Partly because i've made it my own personal goal to never take a teaching Lesson.

Car Guy
08-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Ryan, do you know the stiffness of your shafts...???

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

Smokey1226
08-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Another thing to keep in mind, with working with Reps back in the day.....Every Shaft maker has their own opinion in what "x" and "stiff" and "regular" shafts are.

Meaning, my X shafts are equal in specs to some shafts stiff flex.

And vice Versa, my Graf. Blue Driver shaft in Stiff flex is stronger than most compaines "x" shaft. keep that in mind too!

Just go to a Demo day where all the compaines bring their clubs and you can hit every club you want to FOR FREE! and its fun. Hell ill even go with ya! That way you can hit everything on the market and figure out what feels the best.

Car Guy
08-04-2008, 10:58 AM
^^^ That's what I have gathered from talking to many people in the industry. There should be some sort of gauge to go by because it would make club selection soo much easier.....:goof

Crawlin
08-04-2008, 11:07 AM
I was lucky enough to have the ability to play EVERY single set of club out there pretty much. Now there is a ton of custom shafts out there compared to what factory offerings. I took a set out pretty much every day I played. I play 3-4 times a week. The best ones, are not always the fanciest. Not always the most $$$$. I settled on the year old TaylorMade RAC OS2's. They had the new model year ones, but I played consistantly better after narrowing down between the two sets with the older version. And yes, it did take me 2-3 months to decide on a set of clubs. I just got the regular trusty old steel shafts. I have a higher swing speed yes, but I also think everyone in here who is saying they have incredible swing speeds, probably are only hovering around 100mph at the VERY most for head speed. That's on the "top" side of average. I think I'm in the same area. When I was playing during highschool, I had it measured at 115mph. But I was WILDLY erratic. I personally do not need the stiff shafts on my irons. Although pictures maysay differently, haha. I don't need the fancy carbon fiber shafts. Alot of guys think there arms speed has everything to do with it. It's definitely not. This was about 2-3 years ago. My swing is steady and lazy, but has good head speed.

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i209/z28kid98/?action=view&current=MOV01760.flv

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i209/z28kid98/golf2.jpg

Maybe I do need stiffer shafts on my irons. This pic was about the same time.

I then went through the PING club setup when I ordered my TaylorMades. The length, loft angles, lie, are all adjusted to my specific swing pattern. It's actually a cool test setup.

The ONLY club that I have that is a stiff shaft is my driver. I again hit every driver available at where I normally golf. Even went in to the demo days with their "loaded" clubs, haha. I could hit the new Ping G10 further, but it wasn't as consistent as the King Cobra that I bought. I hated the Nike's. And even that Taylor Made Burner PRO wasn't all that hot. I then hit patterns of 10 balls with the regular shaft and then with the stiff shaft. The regular shaft would have a very VERY slight fade or draw each time I hit it. The stiff shaft had it's draw, but it wasn't as pronounced as the regular shaft. Club Pro said it's because of the delay of the head coming through the ball like what has been mentioned above. So for just my driver, I have a stiff shaft. Even my 3,5,7 woods are just regular shaft. I've hit my dad's stiff shaft R7 fairway woods, and I like 'em alot, but they feel too "tight" during the swing.

Crawlin
08-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Another thing to keep in mind, with working with Reps back in the day.....Every Shaft maker has their own opinion in what "x" and "stiff" and "regular" shafts are.

Meaning, my X shafts are equal in specs to some shafts stiff flex.

And vice Versa, my Graf. Blue Driver shaft in Stiff flex is stronger than most compaines "x" shaft. keep that in mind too!

Just go to a Demo day where all the compaines bring their clubs and you can hit every club you want to FOR FREE! and its fun. Hell ill even go with ya! That way you can hit everything on the market and figure out what feels the best.

Absolutely true! Callaways have the "lightest" gauge. What I mean is the regular flex shaft, is about the same as a lady's shaft. Their "stiff" shaft is only slightly stiffer than everyone else's regular flex shaft. I had to use their Tour Stiff shaft on one of the driver's I was playing with just to be consistent.

jbiscuit
08-04-2008, 11:23 AM
^^ agree. As well as Ping's standard steel shifts are a hair more stiff than everyone else's that I had found when I was demoing irons also. FWIW, I play Ping Zings (upgraded to those from my 20 year old Eye2's), an old school Big Bertha 3-wood that I still love to this day and a Callaway C4 driver...stiff shaft on the driver, regular on everything else.

PureSound15
08-04-2008, 11:41 AM
I'm sure Chris is much more informed than I, I actually play a Nike driver that I won in a longest drive contest, and steel shaft irons.

My average swing speed is about 120 mph, but the weird part is that I am far less accurate if I try to slow it down - I have to play it furter back in my stance and I don't feel that I can control the flight as well. I'd love to figure out how to slow down and still have the accuracy. I can fly a drive 320 without a problem, but from there I get in trouble.

The only club that I have a normal flex shaft on is my Adams 5 wood, only because I felt that the "whip" action helped me get much more loft out of rough, and it comes down much softer.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i34/puresound15/n184600587_31639592_6879.jpg

I am by no means a pro, I'm anywhere between a 38 - 46 for 9 depending on the day and score lower on longer courses.

Crawlin
08-04-2008, 11:53 AM
now we know why the higher head speed, you are like twice my size :) hahaha j/k

PureSound15
08-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Well, I'm not so much tall. But all the years of power lifting and core excersizes, my core wants to uncork once I get to the top of my swing - I really don't use my arms at all, I just let them pull through with my shoulders.

I hit a small draw with my irons, but a small fade with my driver. I'm very jealous of the guys that are consistant no matter what club they're hitting.

Smokey1226
08-04-2008, 12:02 PM
i want your calves! lol

Btw lets go play sometime. Ill show you ladies how to go "Stroken" :D

Anakonda69
08-04-2008, 01:41 PM
just curious those with stiff shafts what are your clubhead speeds?

Crawlin
08-04-2008, 01:45 PM
I think when you start hitting 110+, that's when it's needed.

Biggest thing is to go hit 'em. That's why my driver is stiff. Same exact club, same length, loft, etc.... just stiff/regular I could watch the flight path of the ball be a further 10-15 yards left/right of where I wanted it to be.

Now by no means am I a perfect golfer, far from it. :)

jbiscuit
08-04-2008, 01:56 PM
in for a BCM golf outing!

PureSound15
08-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Hell yeah, that would be a blast. :thumbsup

Crawlin
08-04-2008, 02:32 PM
I'd take you guys out since it's free, but they are redoing the course and I'm done there till June 1st of '09 now :(

CobraSnake
08-04-2008, 03:04 PM
just curious those with stiff shafts what are your clubhead speeds?

wow all golfing aside. This was a funny ass quote.

Mark

Korndogg
08-04-2008, 03:17 PM
before last year, i didn't play for 3 years. Now all of a sudden I have a crazy slice with my driver and I can't figure out what it is for the life of me. I hit my irons just fine but when it comes to my woods its so bad of a slice that its to the point where I can barely use them anymore. I never had this problem before until i started playing again. I think I am going to go somewhere possibly and get it checked out so I can get back to what I use to be.

u_say_go
08-04-2008, 03:18 PM
this is the gheyest sounding thread EVAR! "stiff shaft", "head", "i want your calves", "let's play sometime". :rolf

I've got a set of 15 year old $120 Northwestern irons and fairway woods, a $20 Rawlings driver, a $170 Odyssey putter and I use the cheapest junk golfballs I can find....and I'll shoot upper 80's low 90's any day of the week. I dont buy into the marketing bullschit with all the latest and greatest equipment. If you've $2000 clubs and a 25cent swing...you still suck. Proper fitment is crucial though. If you're going to play a lot and you're taller than average it's worth the extra money to get custom fitted clubs.
Put it this way, any one of us could get THE BEST of everything and play against Tiger Woods, and he'd still smoke us using some rusty garage sale clubs.

Car Guy
08-04-2008, 03:29 PM
in for a BCM golf outing!

A few months ago I had asked Andy if one could be put together using the BCM name and he said yes. I haven't given the idea much thought since then but now that there's some interest I will post up a feeler thread.....

Linky link ===> http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?p=415689#post415689

theavenger333
08-04-2008, 07:53 PM
pretty much a mish-mosh of what everyone has said. Golf is a funny game, some people can pick up a club of any sort and hit the ball well, unfortunatly most of the rest of us have to work at it a ton. overall, a proper Fitting is the best way to do it. ESPECIALLY if you are "odd shaped" as in shorter, taller, long arms, legs, etc. i'm perfectly average size wise, with a large shoulder base, but i swing my Taylor Made's slow as hell. Steel shafts on my Racs, but extra stiff on my driver. regular stiff on my woods. getting fit easily dropped a few strokes from my game, but then after that it's all about trying out stuff. i hit my 8 year old McGregor 5 wood with a stiff flex (although now its not so stiff anymore) about 230 yards, a good stick, and consistantly, despite it being obselete technology. i also hit an older R5 driver, but with a newer shaft, but i average 240ish driving the ball. overall, its definatly worth it getting fit if you plan on being somewhat serious about golf. for the average once a fews weeks player, i wouldn't spend the money. either way, Taylor Made pretty much owns. like most, i run a mixed bag, TaylorMade R5 driver, Rac OS irons, King Cobra and Ping wedges, Cameron putter, McGregor woods. it's all in whats comfortable

and also, IN for an outing, i can get 2 of you on Tripoli Country Club probably. aka Chris and Ryan seeings how i know you two

Crawlin
08-04-2008, 07:57 PM
That was part of the fun. Where I got my clubs, the fitting and custom ordering didn't cost anything, and it still came out less than Golf Galaxy or any other shop because of the discounts. My Cleveland 56* wedge was $56 brand new :) Kinda funny, haha. I have to debate if I need a 52* (i do need that middle club) or if I could play a Hybrid. I've hit a couple and they definitely are cool. I'd probably replace my 4 Iron w/ the hybrid and get the extra club with the 52* to hit my 14 limit.

theavenger333
08-04-2008, 07:59 PM
if i could find a damn 3 hybrid i'd be all over it, but i can't seem to find one i'm consistent with. some draw, some don't

awsomeears
08-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Dam good thread !!!

Anakonda69
08-05-2008, 08:11 AM
i have a nike ignite 460cc driver that i got for free. when i got fitted for the tourswing clubs i hit their clubs on ave. 30-40 yards farther even on a miss hit. i ave. around 280-290 with my nike and easily averaged 325 or so with the tourswing driver. mind you this is off of a launch monitor and not all of the shots go straight. lol i recently went golfing for a bachelor party and ave about 275 with my drives. my irons are sh!t. i got a set in high school from my grandparents with graphite shafts. my 120+mph swing doesn't do well with standard flex graphite. i am hoping to buy a decent set of steel shaft irons this summer. i would be down for a golf outing.