PDA

View Full Version : My grandpa is missing

michelle
08-01-2008, 06:26 AM
This may be a long shot, but I thought I would try it. I know some of you are going on vacation this weekend and may drive in areas he would be in.

My grandpa left his home in Crivitz (by Green Bay) yesterday after the mail came (about 11 a.m.) to go to a campground around Portage. It should have taken him 3 hours or so and he still hasn't arrived there yet. He told his girlfriend (who lives a few hours north of Crivitz) that he was going to go to Oshkosh down 41 and then head west to get to Portage.

My parents, Aunt, and Uncle are at the Portage campground now and were there yesterday as they were all camping together. They called the sheriff and gave her all the information they could and there is a "missing motorist" or something similar out for him.

He would be driving an older motorhome (van front, cream/tran/brown in color, 18 feet or so long, and towing a small white trailer). The motorhome would have older jeep hubcaps on it (and one chevy one the last time I saw it). He's very nice and in good shape. His mind has been going lately and is easily on his way to having Alzheimer's (refusing to get it looked at though).

His name is LeRoy Parve. He had his cell phone disconnected awhile ago, so there is no way to currently contact him. His neighbors confirmed he had left after the mail came yesterday.

If you see him or his vehicle, please call me right away at 414-403-8838 and call the sheriff. We are all very, very worried about him.

ETA: And thanks to Bob for calling me and texting me last night. It was nice to hear supportive words and hope.

b4mytm
08-01-2008, 06:39 AM
Good Luck Michelle.

Silver350
08-01-2008, 06:51 AM
Sorry to hear about your Grandpa. I know first hand how difficult Alzheimers can be. My grandma is in stage 7. I wish you and your family best of luck finding him.

xxtremeteam
08-01-2008, 06:53 AM
good luck hope they find him safe

Breecher_7
08-01-2008, 07:01 AM
I hope you find him. Good luck!

Car Guy
08-01-2008, 07:09 AM
Well I'm headed up to the Merill area in about 30 minutes so I'll keep my eyes open on the way there.....:wooo

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

Yooformula
08-01-2008, 08:09 AM
omg, I hope he turns up. keep us posted please.

michelle
08-01-2008, 09:04 AM
Thanks everyone. Work sent me home so I am just waiting for Adam to get home and then we are going to head north and look for him. I wanted to leave last night, but knew it would be very difficult to see at night for anything. Thanks again and I will update when I get back.

Just got off the phone with the Oshkosh PD and no reports of any accidents yesterday into today that he was involved in.

6forwardgears
08-01-2008, 09:06 AM
All stupid "fake niceness" drama bullshit aside, I sincerely hope you find him alright. Good luck.

Josepy
08-01-2008, 10:41 AM
i hope ou find him alright. my grandma went through the same thing. think he might of stopped at the eaa fly in?

DirtyMax
08-01-2008, 10:48 AM
think he might of stopped at the eaa fly in?

Good call. Especially if he had no real agenda. A specific motorhome is going to be hard to find in that crowd though.

Good luck. I'm sure he'll turn up soon!

SBC-Fox
08-01-2008, 10:52 AM
My dads leaving for our cabin just north of crivitz in about an hour its a long shot but i described the camper and told him to call me if hes sees it good luck

Smokey1226
08-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Thats terrible to hear, Michelle i can make some calls up that way if need be. keep us updated.

Anakonda69
08-01-2008, 11:24 AM
hope things turn out good. stay positive.

CobraSnake
08-01-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm looking right now i'll keep you updated. I'm going up to beaver dam today.

Mark

scaleracer
08-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Sorry to hear that I hope you find him safely..

Yooformula
08-01-2008, 03:04 PM
any updates yet?

STANMAN
08-01-2008, 03:07 PM
I am in contact with Michelle, no updates yet. She is on her way up to that area now to look. She obviously doesn't have computer access, so when news becomes available, I will post it with her permission. Prayers for a safe return are very appreciated!!

Russ Jerome
08-01-2008, 04:36 PM
He would be driving an older motorhome (van front, cream/tran/brown in color, 18 feet or so long, and towing a small white trailer). The motorhome would have older jeep hubcaps on it (and one chevy one the last time I saw it). .

http://photos6.ebizautos.com/6258/2058607_1_107.jpg

The van would look something like this from the description, I only bring
it up because I have neigbors heading west for the weekend and forwarded
them this thread before they go.

CobaltSSTuner
08-01-2008, 04:40 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about this. My grampa had full blown alzheimers (sp?) I know what your going through, he would randomly disappear too. I wish you and your family the best and hopefully everything will work out. Alzheimers is pretty scary, i've had it where one minute my grampa was fine, and 2 minutes later, he didnt reconize me and was telling me to get out of his house. Its rough stuff. There probably isn't much I can do but if you need anything, please feel free to ask.

STANMAN
08-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Just got an update from Michelle. They tracked his credit card and it has been used twice, once last night close to the campsite where he was supposed to meet the family, and once this morning south of Madison. Sounds like he's still on the road and perhaps just disorientated. South of Madison though means we should ALL be on the lookout when we are driving around. Please see the information in the first post and call 911 if you even think you spot this vehicle. Lets get Michelles grandpa home safe guys and gals, and thanks again for your ongoing thoughts and prayers:thumbsup

CobaltSSTuner
08-01-2008, 05:35 PM
i live 15-20 minutes, southeast of madison. I'll be on the lookout.

CobaltSSTuner
08-01-2008, 05:36 PM
i have a good question if it could be answered....what are the license plate numbers? just so i dont call in the wrong camper?

GRAMPS SS
08-01-2008, 05:46 PM
hope all works out for you michelle and you find your grandpa in good heath...that's a scare i never want to have...it's bad enough when sean disappears from view....

again...hope all is well....

STANMAN
08-01-2008, 06:16 PM
i have a good question if it could be answered....what are the license plate numbers? just so i dont call in the wrong camper?

Michelle never gave them to me, but I am sure if you think you see the vehicle and call in the plate, they will know if it's him or not. The Jeep hubcaps should also be a dead ringer. I also have a text into Michelle to see if I can get them to post up here.

Z28Roxy
08-01-2008, 06:32 PM
All stupid "fake niceness" drama bullshit aside, I sincerely hope you find him alright. Good luck.

Same as well, when you read this Michelle.

moels
08-01-2008, 07:40 PM
I hope he is found safe and sound. Think positive.

OxmanWI
08-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Hope all goes well, best of luck!

michelle
08-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Just got home now. He still hasn't been found. My parents, aunt, and uncle have spoken to the local sheriff many times today. They had the gas station south of Madison (Oregon) where he last filled up check their video. My grandpa came in, signed for his credit card, had a short conversation, and headed south out of the gas station (doesn't necessarily mean he kept going south since I don't know how the gas station is setup).

I don't have any pictures of the motorhome on my computer, but I am going to start google searching now. It's an Allegro motor home with an Astro van front. It's kind of more built into the motorhome (sad thing is, I rarely see motorhomes like this), as in there is no upper bunk (bed) above the driver - I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for all the kind words and thoughts. I really, really appreciate it.

moels
08-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Well, if it's any comfort it seems that he is ok and just may be getting away for a bit or going somewhere else before heading to see the family.

michelle
08-01-2008, 09:21 PM
I know it is small, but all I can find at the moment:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g244/reupertm/astro.jpg

That's exactly what it looks like.

moels
08-01-2008, 09:23 PM
You don't see those very often, I think someone will spot it for you. Keep us posted Michelle, my prayers are with you and your family.

michelle
08-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Thank you Wayne.

Oh, his status changed as of noon today to a missing person "endangerment" or something like that. On my way home from Portage, they raised the alert in Dane County as well. I'm hoping someone spots him soon. I'm really surprised he hasn't used a phone to call any of us. He must be pretty frustrated and disorientated.

My great aunt recently passed away and she had Alzheimer's. She would do the same thing with me - have a normal conversation and then a couple minutes later she would be trying to throw me out of the house (or her nursing room). And then she would be fine again. My grandpa hasn't wanted to get it checked into because he didn't want his license taken away since he lives up north and we are all down here. His neighbors are great and are keeping an eye out for him in case he made his way home, only problem is they are leaving at 2 p.m. tomorrow themselves.

The police are going to keep checking where his credit card is used as well. He filled up his motorhome this morning, so it should last him awhile. We are hoping he stopped for dinner and used it again.

The state patrol was very nice when I spoke to them as well. I'll try to get the license plate number. I don't remember it off-hand and I know it's on some of the paperwork up in Portage at the campground. Also - a campground worker was really nice and let my mom and uncle take out her personal car to go look around the area.

Mudd Runner
08-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Hope all goes well and he returns safe.

Feature Pony
08-01-2008, 09:46 PM
I wish you the best in finding your grandpa. Did he live around here (milwaukee) or madison when he was younger? A lot of people with Alzheimer's tend to go back about 50-60 years so he might be heading home even though he hasn't probably lived there in years.

michelle
08-01-2008, 09:56 PM
He lived in Menomonee Falls. Actually, my uncle bought the house from him. My cousin was told to spend the night there in case he did show up or even if he called.

Yooformula
08-01-2008, 10:00 PM
wow prayers are with your family for a safe return of your grand father.

moels
08-01-2008, 10:08 PM
He lived in Menomonee Falls. Actually, my uncle bought the house from him. My cousin was told to spend the night there in case he did show up or even if he called.

Seems like you guys are covering all bases. He is very lucky to have such good family.

Irish
08-01-2008, 11:31 PM
I have faith that he will be fine. When he gets home, I would sincerely look into installing OnStar or some sort of GPS tracking unit (might have to do it without him knowing) just in case this happpens again.... hopefully it won't ever happen again.
My grandfather once told me that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I have contacted everyone I know in that area as well as forwarded the picture you just posted.

Keep your chin up kiddo! - Josh

Prince Valiant
08-02-2008, 12:11 AM
He filled up his motorhome this morning, so it should last him awhile. We are hoping he stopped for dinner and used it again.
He's missing since yesterday and we know he filled up this morning? Any info on where that fill-up occurred?

A problem with dementia patients, especially when having an episode, is they'll often forget to eat...too bad they can't issue an "amber alert" in cases like this for the elderly too...wouldn't be that hard, and would certainly increase the number of eyes looking for him.

Hopefully when he does stop for something, someone will notice his confusion and summon help.

Good luck and best wishes...

lordairgtar
08-02-2008, 12:31 AM
If he's been heading south, I would call the Illinois State Police as well. I do certainly hope he is located safe and sound. I'll be in Elkhorn in the morning and will keep my eyes pealed looking for that rig.

Reverend Cooper
08-02-2008, 02:21 AM
wow i just read this michelle i hope he is really ok!

michelle
08-02-2008, 05:40 AM
Still nothing as of this morning. I'll update when I get home later tonight if there is any progress or credit card usage. Thanks again everyone for the support - it does help.

johnny--2k
08-02-2008, 06:15 AM
Wow, I just saw this Michelle. Prayers are definitely with you and your family for a speedy and safe return!

Waver
08-02-2008, 10:29 AM
good luck michelle.........my thoughts and prayors are with you and your family

Voodoo Chick
08-02-2008, 12:48 PM
He has the presense of mind to get gas, so he must be also sleeping/eating/drinking, when he needs to, too. At least everything points to the fact that he is physically well. Just a matter of locating him, and getting him home. Not knowing where someone is is scary, and makes you feel very helpless, but take comfort in the fact that he will be found, and he'll almost certainly be fine. What about you, are you taking care of yourself through all this? It may be hard, but try to be well, and although I only met you once, I hope you are OK, and everything turns out good. Best luck and best wishes to you and your family.

STANMAN
08-02-2008, 04:09 PM
Anyone is Chicago please be on the lookout, he attempted to use his card there this morning.

Slow Joe
08-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Wow, maybe he decided to head to FL... or AZ... Those are two places that old people go...

And when you say attempted, you mean he was unable to, or he did use it there?

Best wishes Michelle, I hope that you find him before anything bad happens!

Yooformula
08-02-2008, 04:50 PM
I saw a post that he might have been kidnapped. I am sure we will get updates as soon as she can let us know.

Heat Seeker WS6
08-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Spoke to Michelle this afternoon & her & Adam are still in Chicago and yeah unfortunately he's been kidnapped. I have several threads in some chi-town forums giving people heads up to keep an eyeout for him & the truck.

His VISA was used south of madison about 9 this morning (Sat).
Theres video supporting the situation from the Walgreens on LaSalle & Ontario in Chicago also from today.

If anyone else thats on chicago based forums or whatever can do the same, it'd be appreciated.

Irish
08-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Spoke to Michelle this afternoon & her & Adam are still in Chicago and yeah unfortunately he's been kidnapped. I have several threads in some chi-town forums giving people heads up to keep an eyeout for him & the truck.

His VISA was used south of madison about 9 this morning (Sat).
Theres video supporting the situation from the Walgreens on LaSalle & Ontario in Chicago also from today.

If anyone else thats on chicago based forums or whatever can do the same, it'd be appreciated.

Time to mount up a posse! I am down. Let's find these fvckers and get michelle's gpa back!

michelle
08-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Signs show that he has been kidnapped. He was spotted on survelience at a Walgreens on LaSalle and Ontario in downtown Chicago with an unknown man who claimed he was his son at the Walgreens, attempting to buy hundreds of dollars worth of cigarettes. I got a copy of the survelience video and I can tell my grandfather is with him and as of 7:30 this morning, they were still driving the motorhome with the trailer.

After the credit card was declined at the Walgreens, they went to a BP/Amoco station down the road and tried again. Credit card was declined again. We reinstated the credit card this afternoon after jumping through many hoops and hope they will try it again so we can know a location. As of now, we have absolutely no idea.

My grandpa is a missing person on the national system now and I sure hope someone spots him soon. The IL police aren't helping too much, as we need to somehow show proof that my grandpa was taken across the state line to get the FBI involved as that would make it a federal case then. I have been sent to police station to police station trying to talk to somebody who can help me out.

I'm so scared and am trying to keep a positive attitude as it was a good sign to see him on the video this morning, but my only worry is the guy with him got frustrated with the fact that the credit card kept getting declined.

Oh, they also ate at 3 Happiness Restaurant in Chinatown (south of Chicago) at 3 a.m. this morning. I have to wait until midnight to talk to the manager who was on last night to get any information from them.

I spent all afternoon driving around Chicago, looking at vacant lots and it's like a needle in a haystack down here. I'm not familiar with Chicago to know where any particular spots would be and neither would my grandfather. I am thinking the guy with him must know the area, but I am hoping that his motorhome will be spotted soon. It should really stand out in the city. Assuming he is in the city anymore. He doesn't have any other credit cards, so they would be out of money if they can't fuel up. I'm not sure how much cash my grandpa has on him, but I am assuming none anymore as they started using the credit card.

This is just unbelieveable. I know you hear stories about this sort of thing, but you never, never expect it to happen to someone you know. I'm just a mess.

Heat Seeker WS6
08-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Time to mount up a posse! I am down. Let's find these fvckers and get michelle's gpa back!

trust me, theres not much keeping me from going down there. I know that walgreens & area quite well. When working at Abt down there, that was a regular snack stop for us.

Hang in ther Michelle & try to stay positive. LET ME KNOW if I need to roadtrip it down there tonight. Who's ridin shotgun w/ me?

michelle
08-02-2008, 05:16 PM
My parents, aunt, and uncle are on there way down here now. I am in Niles at the moment. I came down to help a friend strip apart his car and was surprised to find out they were only 20-30 minutes away from me the morning. Just wish we would have known 3 hours prior, as we didn't find out they used the credit card at Walgreens until 10:30 a.m. and he was there at 7:30. Drove around the city for 5+ hours. Just had no idea where to look.

Irish
08-02-2008, 05:16 PM
IMO, If he was kidnapped by someone in Chicago, they are probably going to stay local.
Was it confirmed that he was kidnapped? Could it have been a hitchhiker he picked up on the way?

MICHELLE- I know we have never met but, I know how important my grandfather was to me! If there is anything I can do... and I mean ANYTHING. Just say the word!

michelle
08-02-2008, 05:18 PM
From talking to the cashiers, my grandpa stayed quiet. The man "spoke" for my grandpa when it came to using his ID and credit card to purchase the cigarettes (or attempt, rather). One cashier asked the man what my grandfather's last name was and of course the guy didn't know. I wish a lightbulb would have went on and they would have called the police right then and there to know that something was up.

Irish
08-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Alert the media! Can you get any still shots of the male subject?

2000navyz
08-02-2008, 05:29 PM
good luck finding your grandpa, stay strong!

ProjectCamaro
08-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Michelle,
I have never met you in person but I will keep you and your family in my prayer's. I hope they find your grandfather very soon and that the scum that did this is shot by police.

Todd Z
08-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Michelle,

I have faith your Grandfather will be found safe and sound. If you need anything just say the word. I put a post on Corvette forum. The more people reading the better. My Grandfather had Alzheimers and it is an ugly thing.

forest
08-02-2008, 07:58 PM
trust me, theres not much keeping me from going down there. I know that walgreens & area quite well. When working at Abt down there, that was a regular snack stop for us.

Hang in ther Michelle & try to stay positive. LET ME KNOW if I need to roadtrip it down there tonight. Who's ridin shotgun w/ me?

call me Jon, you know how I am.......

forest
08-02-2008, 08:01 PM

when we goin? and whos all down? besides bad cutt, irish,breecher, and myself?

Irish
08-02-2008, 08:07 PM
call me Jon, you know how I am.......

I am down! Let me know. 414-690-4577

lordairgtar
08-02-2008, 08:31 PM
I just posted this thread on HHR forums and a model car forum that is heavy with Illinois residents. Are there any RV forums we could post on? They may be equipped with internet capabilities at rest stops and gas stations in the RVs. WiFi stuff. Also posted on a Karaoke forum with Illinois people. They are always on the road going to gigs.

Prince Valiant
08-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Wow...that's something. It'll be difficult to get around the state patrol with a RV like that...he's probably on desolate county roads, etc...or as someone said, sticking around chicago.

Irish
08-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Wow...that's something. It'll be difficult to get around the state patrol with a RV like that...he's probably on desolate county roads, etc...or as someone said, sticking around chicago.
As he refers to me as "someone" :goof. Michelle any news?

stenchmiester
08-02-2008, 09:00 PM
will be posting this on midwestmustang right now

Darrell
08-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Sorry to hear the news. I'm heading to Chicago soon for work. I'll keep my eyes open.

Lash
08-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Posted on all the forum I visit.

SmokinRAM114
08-02-2008, 10:06 PM
WOWOWOW im sorry to hear this! thats very crazy. hope you get him back! my eyes are peeled. driving the motorhome still??

b4mytm
08-02-2008, 10:29 PM
I Posted this on a few other forums. I will keep him in my prayers Michelle.

STANMAN
08-02-2008, 10:32 PM
GREAT NEWS!!!!!

They found him, and he's OK! Michelle is on her way to see him now, the police have him in their possesion and everything seems good!!! Many thanks to everyone who held him and Michelles family in your prayers and thoughts, she wanted you all know it was greatly appreciated. Thanks again everyone and as I hear more, I will post. But again, he's in police possesion, he's OK, and she's on her way to be re-united with him as I type!!!

b4mytm
08-02-2008, 10:34 PM
That is awesome news!!!

Glad to hear it!!!!

xxtremeteam
08-02-2008, 10:35 PM
thats great news for all i hope they get the guy for everything

Yooformula
08-02-2008, 10:37 PM
holy shit...great news!!!

Memphis
08-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Thats great news!! Hope all is well!!

awsomeears
08-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Good to hear !!!

forest
08-02-2008, 10:56 PM
awesome news!!! I hope they have the fu(ker in custody that was with him

lordairgtar
08-02-2008, 11:42 PM
Awesomeness indeed!!!!!!

Reverend Cooper
08-02-2008, 11:48 PM
i am very happy for you michelle,this is another good reason for conceal and carry

Prince Valiant
08-03-2008, 12:12 AM
Good to hear! Hope they got the guy.

Love to hear the long version of what went down if and when you feel up to posting about it...

Heat Seeker WS6
08-03-2008, 01:08 AM
AWESOME to hear the good news!!

Breecher_7
08-03-2008, 06:33 AM
Im glad to hear it.. I hope the police **** the guy up that did this....

03CVLX
08-03-2008, 07:43 AM
Glad to hear everything turned out good. As said I hope the guy that did this got caught.

ProjectCamaro
08-03-2008, 08:20 AM
GREAT NEWS! I am so happy that you can be a family again.

Smokey1226
08-03-2008, 08:25 AM
wow, glad everything and everyone is ok now.

Irish
08-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Michelle, I am glad you were able to find you Gpa. Let us know how he was found and what insued after. I am more than happy to install a GPS unit in his RV for you.

Feature Pony
08-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Wow that is great news I hope he is ok, and I hope they cut the f***ers balls off that took advantage of older people!!!

LIZMO
08-03-2008, 12:12 PM
wow. i hope he is okay, and i hope the found the guy that did all this.

GRAMPS SS
08-03-2008, 12:15 PM
great new michelle....hope all is well ....and i hope they caught the bastard that did this to your grandpa...

michelle
08-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Wow, I don't even know where to start typing this. But I guess I will start from where I left off.

After driving around Chicago without any luck, I went back to my friends house in Niles, IL. My parents were on there way to Lake Forest (where relatives live) to regroup and then my dad and uncle were going to go down to Chinatown where my grandpa's credit card was used at 3 a.m. on Saturday morning. We just kept thinking that maybe the guy lives down there because why else would a white person go to eat there at that time of day. So Adam and I met up with my dad and uncle and got in my uncle's truck to go down to Chinatown. Of course, my dad didn't want me to be in that area but being the stubborn girl I am, I insisted. We got into Chinatown and were driving around when I told my dad to go to his GPS (Garmin that he actually just picked up on Thursday before they left to go camping - something told me he should just run to Cabella's and get one that day) and put in the 3 Happiness Restaurant where they were at 3 a.m. So we find the place and start driving around - figuring the motorhome had to be within walking distance as the parking isn't real friendly around there. We were driving up and down streets when my heart jumped as I spotted an older Ford shuttle bus in a gravel parking lot by an old industrial building. I pointed and then realized that it wasn't the Allegro. Just as I look to the left of that Ford bus, I see "Allegro" on the top of a motorhome and yell out - at the same time Adam spots Allegro as well. We called the police and parked at an intersection near it. We didn't see anybody around it, but wanted to wait for police before going near it. There were other cars/trucks around but had obviously been there for awhile.

Two cop cars came with 4 Chicago PD officers. We explained the story and then walked to the motorhome. No sign of anybody around and everything looked okay - nothing out of the ordinary - maps around, directions to the campground, my grandpa's suitcase, just the typical stuff. The keys were not in the ignition, but handing on the blinker arm. There was also a half tank of gas - which was our sign that the guy might be back and in the area since it wasn't just left there with an empty tank.

My dad and Adam stayed in my uncle's truck in case the man and my grandfather came back. My uncle and I went with two officers in their car to drive around, check the typical homeless areas, and then visit a local festival (del Soul). Being a white, blonde/brown hair (I actually had two braids/pig tails too) - did I stand out in a Latino/Mexican festival! And being escorted by two cops didn't help either, but we searched the festival with no luck. We drove around again with the officers before they took us back to where the motorhome was as they had another call to make and we needed to figure out our next step.

We got back to the motorhome and there was nobody around that area since my uncle and I had left. Not even 5 minutes since the two officers dropped us off did we get a call from an officer in WI that we had dealt with that he had been found walking pretty far south-west of where the motorhome was. Officers had picked him up, he was alone, and were going to take him to the police station. When the two officers that were helping us found out, they called us (as we exchanged cell phone numbers), and came right back to escort us to the police station. When they came, they decided to just pick my grandpa up as the other officers he was with said he was physically okay, so my uncle went in their car and they drove to go get him and bring him back to where we were by the motorhome.

A few minutes later (which felt like forever), they came back with my grandpa. The officers warned us he was very, very drunk. He didn't recognize any of us, but was friendly - like he kind of knew, but didn't know our names. He gave me a big hug and said "it was a long day" and rubbed my right cheek. I just had a huge smile on my face to see him again and see him okay.

We took him back to Lake Forest, as my mother and aunt were there and so we could all get a good night's sleep before figuring out what to do. My grandpa was talking a little, but wasn't making too much sense as he was really liquored up. He kept saying the guys he was with were assholes and he wanted to punch them (keep in mind, my grandpa is not the fighting type at all - he's very gentle) and then would change it and say that "Donny" was an old middle school friend.

He slept very well last night. I had a dream we caught the guy he was with, but I wish that really happened. We have no idea who the guy was. I later found my grandpa's wallet still in his motorhome with his driver's license, credit card, medical cards, and a piece of paper with all of our phone numbers on it. All of my grandpa's cash was taken of course (he said $100 or so).

He was feeling okay this morning before I left Lake Forest. Still not talking much, but smiling. He's going to be staying with my parents this week until we get everything figured out. We are going to be selling his motorhome and finding a GPS tracking device for his Jeep and also a cell phone that should work (he is really hard of hearing, which is why he had his previous phone disconnected). We're also going to get him checked out at a doctor too.

But I really, REALLY, appreciate all the support and effort everyone put in here by spreading the word. That meant so much to me to know that there would be a lot of people keeping their eyes open for his motorhome (although now that I think about it, it's currently on it's way to Hubertus so I wonder if someone will spot it). The officers we worked with in Chicago were amazing. They were so happy to find out he was found - one said that was the whole point of being an officer - to see those good moments and happy endings to horrible situations like this. I know people aren't always the nicest to officers, especially in Chicago (I learned that just walking through the festival and driving around with two officers - one of the officers kicked out 2 guys at the festival for saying stuff about them - I couldn't tell you how many times I heard the phrase "I smell bacon" when I was following one of the officers through a crowd), but they went above and beyond. They were going to start back up on their next shift and pick us up again to drive us around. They just did everything they could and that was the best - just doing something. I can't imagine just waiting by the phone - we had to do something.

And that's what was so impressive - I am so glad we found the motorhome and it was good to see it in good shape. Only thing was that it smelled like beer all over in it. Just driving it to Lake Forest, I got out and people could smell it on me.

So once again, THANK YOU so much for all the support. I can't say it enough. I wish we could have found the guy as well so that he can't take advantage of someone else, but I am just so glad that my grandpa is okay.

badass88gt
08-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Glad to hear all is well.

Irish
08-03-2008, 12:27 PM
I LOVE happy endings!

awsomeears
08-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Wow thats a great story, so I have to ask was your Grand Father just extremely drunk and drove randomly around or did he get kidnapped ?

Heat Seeker WS6
08-03-2008, 01:05 PM
:banana1::banana1::banana1::banana1:
:banana1::banana1::banana1::banana1::banana1:
:banana1::banana1::banana1::banana1::banana1:

:banana

michelle
08-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Signs point to more of a kidnapped situation, simply because he was with a guy we all don't know and the guy was seen in the video with my grandpa at Walgreens where the guy said he was my grandpa's son and was trying to put $250 worth of cigarettes with my grandpa's ID and credit card. My grandpa was telling us last night/today that he didn't have a choice and he kept wanting a moment to punch the guy but there wasn't.

I'm hoping we can get more out of him today and throughout the week.

My grandpa doesn't drink much. He likes wine and vodka gimlets and beer, but I have only seen him drink "too much" this past Christmas when he had 2 or 3 vodka gimlets during the night. He was very disorientated that night and we all had to explain to him that my grandma passed away 6 years ago as he kept asking where she was. His memory loss is greatly affected when he drinks. From what my uncle tells me, he is fine when he is in his own element, but when you take him into a situation he doesn't know, he does get disorientated very easily.

My grandpa also used to hitchhike often when he was younger (back when it was more common and not as scary, I guess). So that kind of made me wonder if my grandpa picked up this guy (if he was a hitchhiker), thinking back to his days when he used to do it. We found the guy's hardhat in the motorhome and in the video at Walgreens, the guy was wearing a tool belt.

Like I said, we don't know too many details, but hopefully my parents, aunt, and uncle got him to talk more on the way back home and will get more during the week.

scaleracer
08-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Wow! Glad to hear he's alright and I hope they find the a$$hat that did this..

Windsors 03 Cobra
08-03-2008, 01:24 PM
What a horrible thing to have happen, glad he was found safe and sound.

CobraSnake
08-03-2008, 07:34 PM
wow great news. Glad hes back and do some more investigating on the guy that did it. Was there ever a good shot of his face in any of the security cameras?

Mark

Sprayaway Fox
08-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Read the what happended, sux that things like that happen when you get older, and how people can be so shady.

lordairgtar
08-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Wasn't there a trailer on the motor home? Just wondering. I am so glad that he was located safe and sound, even if inebriated.

michelle
08-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Yeah a small enclosed trailer. I don't think an ATV could even fit in it. He uses it to put campfire in, chairs, typical little camping stuff you wouldn't put in a motorhome, especially his as he doesn't have many storage compartments.

He agreed to go speak with a doctor this week. My mom is taking a medical leave for the week so that she can stay with him too and get everything figured out.

I don't think he really realizes what we all did to find him and we still don't know what really happened. I guess he was found 2 miles away from where the motorhome was and was rather disorderly, which is absolutely bizarre to hear.

We all got together tonight with other close family and had a nice cookout and tried to limit the conversation to happy things to move on a little bit.

But if you can, please take what happened to my family to heart and if need be, use what we went through with your family. Make sure your older relatives have a GPS or at least a cell phone (as most newer phones have a GPS within the phone). I wouldn't wish what happened to us on anybody. It was very tough to remain positive and have hope, but seeing him okay in the video at Walgreens and finding his motorhome in good condition with everything in it, were both signs that helped us stay positive.

DirtyMax
08-03-2008, 10:33 PM
Glad everything ended up as well as could be considering the circumsatnces.

Dimentia is fierce and it comes on fast. My grandfather has it and it started off as him just being forgetful (went to the kitchen and forgot what he went there for, left the keys in the car, etc... simple stuff that we all do now even at a young age), but then seemingly mere months later, the family really decided to take action (doctor visit, no more driving, etc.) when he was attempting to drive from Greenfield to Cudahy and ended up in Burlington. Now 8 years after the first signs, he has no clue who we are.

Best of luck to you and your family. It's a cruel and selfish disease and I hope someday they find a cure.

nismodave
08-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Best News of the year.

Goat Roper
08-03-2008, 11:16 PM
Wow, hell of a weekend I missed on here, glad this all worked out in the end and best wishes.

WickedSix
08-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Glad your grandpa is back safe

johnny--2k
08-04-2008, 09:24 AM
congrats on the safe return! Im sure you all must be relieved.

07ROUSHSTG3
08-04-2008, 09:27 AM
are they still looking for the people that he was with?

Waver
08-04-2008, 09:50 AM
congrats michelle, I am glas that everything worked out for the best for you and your family

michelle
08-04-2008, 06:46 PM
are they still looking for the people that he was with?

No they aren't.

He visited with a doctor today and they ran all sorts of tests. They suspect he was drugged, but not sure if anything will show up from the tests as it's now Monday (that's my own opinion, I don't know medical stuff like that). He doesn't remember a thing though - I mean, not a thing.

Holeshot
08-04-2008, 06:52 PM
Damn I m glad you found him and hes doing Okay.

Waver
08-04-2008, 07:43 PM
No they aren't.

He visited with a doctor today and they ran all sorts of tests. They suspect he was drugged, but not sure if anything will show up from the tests as it's now Monday (that's my own opinion, I don't know medical stuff like that). He doesn't remember a thing though - I mean, not a thing.

depending on what drugs were used, they may still be in his blood stream....most drugs like what may have been used take a few days to exit the body

TURTLE
08-04-2008, 08:11 PM
geez, i missed a hell of a few days on here! glad to hear everything worked out ok for you and your family! had i got word of this, you know i would have done everything in my power to help out! glad everything's ok!

ProjectCamaro
08-04-2008, 08:38 PM
I hope it ends up ok.

I can't believe they aren't even going to look for the people that did this. They're saying it's ok to kidnap people, steal from them, and drug them.

Z28Roxy
08-04-2008, 10:24 PM
I hope it ends up ok.

I can't believe they aren't even going to look for the people that did this. They're saying it's ok to kidnap people, steal from them, and drug them.

Maybe they just don't have sufficient evidence of who the people are that did this?

spindler27
08-05-2008, 04:50 PM
if the guy left his hardhat in that RV then they should have a good idea as to where he works as most people have it plastered all over it