PDA

View Full Version : Man decapitates passenger on bus

wikked
07-31-2008, 12:20 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2008/07/31/greyhound-transcanada.html

A passenger repeatedly stabbed and then decapitated a young man aboard a Greyhound bus travelling through Manitoba overnight in what appears to be a random attack, witnesses told CBC News.

Police officers spent the night examining a Greyhound bus where a passenger was reportedly stabbed and decapitated late Wednesday. (John Woods/Canadian Press)The RCMP would not confirm the report, only saying that a homicide took place about 18 kilometres west of Portage la Prairie, Man., late Wednesday on a bus driving along the Trans-Canada Highway.

The RCMP said a suspect, whose identity has not been released, was arrested early Thursday morning. More information would be released Thursday afternoon at a press conference in Winnipeg, RCMP said.

About 37 passengers and a driver were aboard the bus en route to Winnipeg from Edmonton, according to a Greyhound spokesperson.

Passenger Cody Olmstead, 21, told CBC News he had smoked a cigarette earlier in the trip with the victim, whom he described as a man in his late teens or early 20s. The victim got on the bus in Edmonton, he said.

"I never took the time to know him, but he seemed to be OK, right, just a kid," said Olmstead, a Nova Scotia man who had been taking the bus to Montreal.

"He just said he was going to Winnipeg … going home, that's where he was from."

Garnet Caton, who was sitting in the seat in front of the victim, said he saw the attacker stab his seatmate, a young man sleeping with his headphones on.

Caton said he heard a "blood-curdling scream" and turned around to see the attacker holding a large "Rambo" hunting knife above the victim, "continually stabbing him in the chest area."

"He must have stabbed him 50 times or 60 times," said Caton.

"Like, just everywhere, arms, legs, neck, chest, guts, wherever he could swing it, he got it," said Olmstead.

"It looked kind of like a scuffle or an argument, you know, and then somebody's, like, 'Knife! Knife! Run!' so I was running up the alleyway, slapping people telling them to get going, move, get off the bus. I got pushed over, some lady got pushed over, I was just making sure everybody was OK, and we all got off the bus," said Olmstead

As panicked passengers fled the bus, "the attacker was over top of the victim … continually cutting him. I think the victim was gone at that point," Caton said.

Trio tried to check on victim

Caton, the driver and a trucker who had stopped at the scene later boarded the vehicle to see if the victim was still alive.

"When we came back on the bus, it was visible at the end of the bus he was cutting the guy's head off and pretty much gutting him up," said Caton.

The attacker ran at them, Caton said, and they ran out of the bus, holding the door shut as he tried to slash at the trio.

When the attacker tried to drive the bus away, the driver disabled the vehicle, Caton said.

"While we were watching the door, he calmly walks up to the front with the head in his hand and the knife and just calmly stares at us and drops the head right in front of us," said Caton.

"They did an awesome thing, holding him in there, because if not, what would have happened?" said Olmstead.

Acted 'like he was a robot'

Caton described the attacker as surprisingly calm. "It was like he was at the beach or something. There was no rage in him. He wasn't swearing or cursing or anything. It was just like he was a robot or something."

Police cruisers arrived about 10 minutes after the attack began, he estimates, and officers began directing passengers to school buses to take them to a hotel in Brandon.

"While we were waiting on the side of the road, [the attacker] was taunting the police with the head in his hand," said Caton.

Garnet Caton said he heard a 'blood-curdling scream' and turned around to see a man repeatedly stabbing the passenger sitting next to him. (CBC)Caton described the attacker as appearing "totally normal" earlier in the journey, even chatting with a young woman as he smoked a cigarette during a break.

But when he got back on the bus, he moved his belongings from the front to a seat beside the victim in the back and about 20 minutes later began attacking the man, said Caton. "He didn't say anything to the victim at all," said Caton.

A six-year-old and other children were among the passengers who saw the horrific incident unfold, said Caton.

"It was pretty traumatic," he said, adding that some passengers said they have been unable to sleep or eat since it happened.

Bev Cumming, head of acute care services for the Brandon Regional Health Authority, said chaplains and psychiatric nurses have been working with dozens of passengers on the bus since they arrived in Brandon.

"When you see something as horrifying as that, the brain locks on to those images. It's very difficult to release those images," Cumming said.

"The assistance that people will get will be along the lines of coping in the immediate phase, learning what to do to reduce the profound effect this experience will have."

Investigation is in 'full motion': minister

Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day commented on the killing, saying that like most Canadians, he was horrified to hear witness accounts of the homicide.

"The horrific nature of it is probably one of a kind in Canadian history," he told reporters late Thursday morning in Lévis, Que.

The minister said he didn't want to say anything that would compromise the investigation, but "I can assure people that everything is in full motion and momentum to getting to the bottom of this incident."

Questioned about whether weapons regulations should be put into place for buses, Day said it would be premature to look at such precautionary measures but added that the legal process will be followed as "aggressively as possible."

Prince Valiant
07-31-2008, 12:41 PM
Ban knives!

That's some seriously f'ed up shite

CobraSnake
07-31-2008, 12:48 PM
holy crap just seems like the guy was nuts thats all.

Mark

Irish
07-31-2008, 12:49 PM
Satan's puppet.

Smokey1226
07-31-2008, 01:00 PM
just another reason certain people should be allowed to carry concealed hand guns.

84hurst
07-31-2008, 01:09 PM
just another reason certain people should be allowed to carry concealed hand guns.

qfmft :thumbsup

WhatsADSM
07-31-2008, 01:36 PM
What the hell is wrong with people... Attacking someone for no apparent reason while they are sleeping? Then proceeding to stab them "50 to 60 times" and decapitate them?!

That is sissy, cruel, and just straight ****ed up.

lit666
07-31-2008, 01:37 PM
thats some crazy shit right der

6forwardgears
07-31-2008, 01:38 PM
It's hard to even imagine something like this really happening. I mean think about if the victim was a close loved one. Totally out of nowhere, and the victim didn't even have a chance. Just one minute he was napping with his iPod tunes going, the next he has a knife in his chest. :wow

SBC-Fox
07-31-2008, 01:44 PM
and theres people that say the world isnt that bad, thats straight fuked and twisted

Yooformula
07-31-2008, 02:37 PM
so the entire bus sat there and heard teh screaming and nobody did anything to stop him?? I seriously dont know whats worse anymore.....

gottwins?
07-31-2008, 02:55 PM
This article enrages me.:flipoff2:

gottwins?
07-31-2008, 03:01 PM
so the entire bus sat there and heard teh screaming and nobody did anything to stop him?? I seriously dont know whats worse anymore.....

Amen....

Adrenaline would have hit me at some point and I would have done SOMETHING. If I didint have anything on me to use, which would be rare, gauging his eyes out with my fingers would do the trick. :flipoff2:

badass88gt
07-31-2008, 03:04 PM
Jesus Christ. How did nobody jump the guy while he was doing this???
I agree with the gun thing. had one person been carrying, this couldve been avoided, or at least not as serious.

boostaddict14
07-31-2008, 04:29 PM
wow thats messed up. Think of how that would replay in your mind over and over again.

wikked
07-31-2008, 06:31 PM

they all ran for their lives I guess... it was no ordinary knife, it's this one :stare

http://www.cartertown.com/images/Knives/Hibben/RamboIV.jpg

gottwins?
07-31-2008, 06:41 PM
Like I said its hard to say anything unless your in the situation...not trying to justify anything but in the heat of the moment who really knows? I mean it isint like an attack were you had time to plot how to take him out...it happened fast without warning and was probably over before most people even knew what was going on. I personally would have done something....what that would be? idk...but being outgunned and and outnumbered is something ive been usto since I was little.

OxmanWI
07-31-2008, 07:18 PM
So what happened to the attacker? The story ended right after...

"While we were waiting on the side of the road, [the attacker] was taunting the police with the head in his hand," said Caton.

Voodoo Chick
07-31-2008, 11:28 PM
Taunting the police with the head in his hands..........Holy f*cking sh*t.........I don't even know what to say about this one.........

lordairgtar
07-31-2008, 11:42 PM
Prolly let him go with a fine, and sent him the cleaning bill for cleaning the bus.

wikked
08-01-2008, 09:52 AM
So what happened to the attacker? The story ended right after...

My original post has another 12 sentences after that? :confused

boostaddict14
08-01-2008, 09:58 AM
updates on this story?

1siksrt
08-01-2008, 11:16 AM

I agree i cannot believe no one tried to stop this dude

Knyghtmare
08-01-2008, 05:13 PM
37 passengers and not one would help the guy... just yell "knife" and run... What a bunch of pvssies... French-Canadians for ya...

HY35F2T
08-01-2008, 09:38 PM
37 passengers and not one would help the guy... just yell "knife" and run... What a bunch of pvssies... French-Canadians for ya...

lol thats what i was thinking.So how did the cops arrest him throw the cuffs threw the window?

Lash
08-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Hopefully they shot him.....and the passengers that ran instead of trying to help.

Yooformula
08-01-2008, 09:58 PM
so I just read in the paper that they held him on the bus for 3 HOURS until the cops arrived...wtf is that about!?!

Knyghtmare
08-01-2008, 11:24 PM
so I just read in the paper that they held him on the bus for 3 HOURS until the cops arrived...wtf is that about!?!

Yeah, they basically stood there and watched the dude gut this kid like a deer and toss his head around like a football while the mounties decided to take the horses out there instead of the cars. At least they decided to keep him in there... I have a feeling it was more out of concern for themselves had the nutjob got off the bus, than for waiting for the cops to get there.

I keep thinking to myself "what would I have really done?" I dunno, it must just be my job instinct and training in me, but I am pretty sure even faced with a knife I would have had to jump on the psycho... the article reads like he didnt even pay any attention to any of the other passengers in the beginning anyway... would have been the perfect time.

95_Gt
08-02-2008, 01:30 AM
i dont think i will be taking a bus anytime soon.It pisses me off to know that no one did anything but then again I dont know how I would of act in the kind of situation.

found these on other forums
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=096_1217580722

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n68_WE9wLpk

05caddyext
08-02-2008, 03:21 AM
Population control :thumbsup

Berettaspeed
08-02-2008, 10:16 AM
makes you wonder if this is just more than "random" i cant see a random attack being only on one person. im sure there is alot more to this story.
being calm like that almosts makes it perfect to get the "insane card".

this is a good example to all those gun law people claiming guns kill people. Canada may have low gun crime, but im sure is has higher death by ummm object(?) crimes.

Arigmaster
08-02-2008, 03:54 PM
I am sure there was more to it than that... Perhaps there was a woman involved and the attacker was a jilted lover or maybe someone got screwed over and was giving some pay back. Yes the attack went to the extreme but that may be his ticket to a loony bin rather than prison...

A couple years later... "Yes Doctor"... "I feel so much better now and the voices are gone too."

Irish
08-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Yes the attack went to the extreme but that may be his ticket to a loony bin rather than prison...

A couple years later... "Yes Doctor"... "I feel so much better now and the voices are gone too."

You have no idea how much truth there is in that statement. I wouldn't be surprised if the guy jammed a bunch of peanut butter in his ass crack and then, once he got in front of the judge he'd stick his hand in the back of his ass, pull out a nice glob of peanut butter and eat it. :rolf

ProjectCamaro
08-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Just more proof we need to be allowed to conceal carry.

badass88gt
08-03-2008, 12:00 AM
I read this and replied to is a couple of days ago, and I gotta say, I am really disturbed by this. It hasnt left my mind, I am finding myself ALWAYS thinking about it, I dont know why.

Voodoo Chick
08-03-2008, 02:00 AM
You're thinking about it alot because it's just so f*cking HORRIBLE. This is one of the most gruesome crimes I have heard about in a while, I think it is only natural to be extremely effected by it. I think the part that bothers me is that the guy was holding up the severed head like a trophy or something. This one has haunted my thoughts too, lately........

Irish
08-03-2008, 08:52 AM
People do this kind of shit in the middle east and africa ALL the time.