PDA

View Full Version : City of Milwaukee dwellers, open up your pocketbooks

Karps TA
07-30-2008, 02:26 PM
By a veto-proof majority, the Milwaukee Common Council voted today to impose a $20-a-car annual vehicle registration fee on every car and light truck kept in the city.

The so-called wheel tax is expected to raise $6.6 million a year for street repairs, and it will eliminate special assessments for rebuilding and repairing streets.

Ald. Terry Witkowski said the money wouldn't be enough to speed up street work, and "does absolutely nothing, other than hit the taxpayer in the pocketbook."

Ald. Ashanti Hamilton responded, "If we had more state shared revenue, we wouldn't have to have this debate. We don't."

The measure was approved 10-4, with Witkowski and Aldermen Michael Murphy, Joe Dudzik and Tony Zielinski opposed. Ald. Willie Wade, who backs the wheel tax, was absent.

Mayor Tom Barrett has promised to veto the wheel tax, but supporters have more than the two-thirds majority needed to override his veto. The fee would take effect two months after the veto override.

DirtyMax
07-30-2008, 02:29 PM
Where do I send my hundo?!?!? :flipoff2:

Prince Valiant
07-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Ald. Ashanti Hamilton responded, "If we had more state shared revenue, we wouldn't have to have this debate. We don't."And we especially wouldn't be having the debate if you had more fiscal responsibility and discipline. You don't.

Karps TA
07-30-2008, 02:39 PM
Why spend less when taking more is so much easier?

What is hilarious is this will just add to the people who already don't register their vehicles because of Doyles last increase.

Smokey1226
07-30-2008, 02:40 PM
See, with milwaukee you get slightly cheaper gas but pay for it in the end!

animal
07-30-2008, 02:43 PM
So what's preventing people from just changing their registration from county of milwaukee city of milwaukee to county of milwaukee city of greenfield, franklin, shorewood, etc? Not like they check that even when you do it in another county.

Yooformula
07-30-2008, 02:52 PM
I will be changing the location for my cars.

Mr Twigbert
07-30-2008, 03:00 PM
I'll just spend the $60.. It's easier than registering my cars some where else..

Feature Pony
07-30-2008, 03:29 PM
I will be changing the location for my cars.

x2 parents address FTW!!!

jbiscuit
07-30-2008, 03:54 PM
already changed FTW

shoooo32
07-30-2008, 03:56 PM
I'll get pissed then roll over and give them the money. Last time I took a stand cost me $80 at the tow lot.

DirtyMax
07-30-2008, 04:02 PM
Good luck collecting this.

A big northbound toll booth just north of the state line is a better solution for all the roads... :goof

Russ Jerome
07-30-2008, 04:33 PM
Well at least we live in a city with good roads, nice lakes to swim in, great aldermen, low taxs, no coruption at the city/county or state level, great weather and a well rounded group of ethnic diversity that take good care of one another.............what a craphole I cant beleive Im buying a house here. Im gonna rent it out, overcharge for it and spend the proceeds in IL on booze and strippers.

-stew-
07-31-2008, 12:53 AM
Well at least we live in a city with good roads, nice lakes to swim in, great aldermen, low taxs, great weather and a well rounded group of ethnic diversity that take good care of one another...

Not sure of the taxes because I rent but, ah; you just described Bayview.

floaters
07-31-2008, 01:25 AM
Well at least we live in a city with good roads, nice lakes to swim in, great aldermen, low taxs, no coruption at the city/county or state level, great weather and a well rounded group of ethnic diversity that take good care of one another.............what a craphole I cant beleive Im buying a house here. Im gonna rent it out, overcharge for it and spend the proceeds in IL on booze and strippers.

rofl prolly the funniest thing i heard all month!!!!

GTSLOW
07-31-2008, 01:58 AM
^ dave you're a *****

DocDave
07-31-2008, 07:32 AM
This one really pisses me off because I currently am looking at paying an estimated $1400 in street repairs in my neighborhood. Even if this crazy a$$ tax goes through I will still have to pay my $1400, because the project is already planned for this year. I get hit twice! Really burns me, I have contacted my alderman to which I get no response. Moving out of Milwaukee just became more appealing to me! (rant off)

Yooformula
07-31-2008, 10:53 AM
holy shit Dave! They charge the residents for the road repairs????

theavenger333
07-31-2008, 06:42 PM
another reason why i like the suburbs