PDA

View Full Version : Salvaged titled cars to being rebuilt titled cars?

ReD715
07-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Has anyone done so? If so, would you do it again or not?

I guess it really depends on the reason why it has a salvaged title (flood, accident, etc) but Id like to hear if some of you guys have rebuilt titles.

michelle
07-29-2008, 09:59 PM
From working at a salvage auto auction, obviously our dealers were always buying salvage cars (among junk and clean title cars), and repaired a fair amount. Then take it for inspection (which I heard costs a lot and I think you have to pay each time you take it there, so if it fails because of something silly, that kind of sucks). But anyways, if it is rebuilt right and of course depending on the original damage, you should be okay. You may have a harder time re-selling the vehicle if the person is smart enough to ask about the title status. Some people will walk away if the title isn't clean.

GRAMPS SS
07-29-2008, 10:00 PM
friend of mine has a salvaged title on his truck...he bought it at auction (totaled)and rebuilt it at his body shop....he did one before this...the only thing bad is when it comes to resell....you don't get many bites when they find it has a salvaged title...

i would buy his when he sells it...nice truck....

Slow Joe
07-29-2008, 10:01 PM
I highly doubt it costs alot. But they do tell you what needs to work... You know who would know about this is Jason (loud91rs) he had an avenger with a salvage title that he repaired...

Russ Jerome
07-29-2008, 11:43 PM
I went thru it on a car and a home built Harley.

Years ago the car was a 2 trip deal, at the insp (wauk state patrol)
EVERYTHING has to work. 20yr old park brake, apply park brake put
in reverse and take foot off brake while running. Previous owner had
some tint on rear window, had to remove even though it was a
wagon and came factory (was aftermarket). I never checked the
windsheild washer operation, had an odd spray out one side had
to fix. After the state patrol aproves you go to DMV and go thru
more paperwork, title comes a few weeks later as rebuilt.

Built my last Harley from multiple used/new bike parts. Same deal
the chick at the state patrol said I needed a baffle in the strait
pipes. Ran home and made a makeshift insert, returned and another
dude says "ya thats fine, your gonna take that out of the exhaust
right it is a Harley?". Then off to the DMV with receipts of and proof
you didnt boost the parts and the title arives as Home-built.

I dont recal any charges higher than there regular "bend over and
we'll take too much" than they usualy hose you for....but hey our
roads are sooo nice...oh wait there not are they?

wrath
07-30-2008, 10:30 AM
If you're not going to do it yourself I'd avoid them unless you get a smoking deal (like 35% off a comparable clean-titled vehicle). Too many hack-and-splash shops around. Resale is brutal. They're difficult to insure. Did I mention too many hack-and-splash shops around?

I've only seen three well-done salvage-titled vehicles, ever. Well-done meaning I can't spot it except that it's been repainted. Hack-and-splash shops just assemble it so it "looks good" and goes down the road. So they hack it together and splash some paint on. They don't care if the headlights are at the adjuster's limit or that the control arms are at their limits... or that they had to slot the holes on the subframe to get it to bolt up, et cetera.

If it's a unibody vehicle, don't even think about it.

loud91rs
07-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Like Joe said I've been through this. With my avenger the front end was smashed. It took a new core support, fenders, front bumper, and windsheild. They are extremely picky with some things. I ended up going to Juneau to get my car inspected, (drove it there, not sure if that was right LOL) and a guy came out in the lot and looked it over. He sent me back to fix: airbox (I put a cheap ass cold air on which was a no no), screw missing in wiper cowl, window tint was evidently under 50% or whatever in the front, and that's about it. Little things matter. I put mustang wheels on the car which stuck out (just to get it on the road) and he didn't care about that, nor did he care it had a full body kit. He never looked under the car, but did check the lights and under the hood. I later went back and passed. We filled out a bunch of forms, which got mailed right then and there to the dmv and I was issued a rebuilt title in the mail. I can't remember but i'm almost positive it didn't cost too much.

Russ Jerome
07-30-2008, 04:44 PM
There are smoking deals out there but like those guys said there is some type of an odd deal with the body repair end of it. You see a $20,000 car thats smashed to crap and the wrecking outfit wants $18,000....hello do you plan
on me going out and boosting a complete parts car??? Never ads up but we
have good body guys here to explain the scam.

In other cases like my one owner 60k mile wagon that was like new in my buddies salvage yard: Dealer installed $8000 parts plus labor and could not get it to run. Took me 15 minutes to confirm the suction line (diesel) was
pulling air thru a pinhole and wouldnt run. I got a brand new wagon for
$100 and I fixxed it for free with a clamp and a peice of hose...wow that was hard thank you very much Burndt Buick!

I spent maybe $2000 in needed Harley parts beside junk people gave me
or I barterd for....any idea what I sold that Harley for!!!!!!!!!!! Yea there
are great deals if you dont mind a little work or effort.

loud91rs
07-30-2008, 05:02 PM
You are exactly right. All you gotta do is your homework. If you really assess what the car needs and know what parts are available for, you can find some smokin deals.