PDA

View Full Version : Is this person for real

GRM-REPR
07-29-2008, 01:47 PM
or not?

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago I thought this person sounded like a scamster. I told him what price I'd be willing to sell my car for and he said he didn't have that much at the time (2-3 weeks ago). He replied by saying "Sorry, I don't have that much, thanks for replying."

So a couple days ago I get a reply back from him. He asked if I'd consider $6k and I told him I'm not willing to go so low. I told him my bottom line and said to consider it. He replied back yesterday saying he'd like to see it. Well, he lives in D.C according to the 202 area code trace. I'm not sure if this dude is for real??? He wanted at first to come and see it. I said it's a long way from where you live to just "come and see it." I sent him more pics last night and this is what he just sent me as a reply:

Subject: Re: Firebird
To: vortechstang87@yahoo.com
Date: Tuesday, July 29, 2008, 1:00 PM

I have the $----. I would like to have it in my drive way for the $----.
I've never purchased a car without seeing it. Any suggestions on how I
could bring it back to Maryland reasonably?

I'm sorry but this just still sounds sketchy. He is persistant, I've never tried to sell a car nationally so I don't know if a scamster would try this. I had also made it clear that the check would need to be certified and I'd wait for it to clear before I release car and title to the new owner (told him 2 weeks ago). Yet he still keeps acting like he wants it.

How should I proceed? I will wait for people's responses and then reply back.

Thanks

Josepy
07-29-2008, 01:49 PM
or not?

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago I thought this person sounded like a scamster. I told him what price I'd be willing to sell my car for and he said he didn't have that much at the time (2-3 weeks ago). He replied by saying "Sorry, I don't have that much, thanks for replying."

So a couple days ago I get a reply back from him. He asked if I'd consider $6k and I told him I'm not willing to go so low. I told him my bottom line and said to consider it. He replied back yesterday saying he'd like to see it. Well, he lives in D.C according to the 202 area code trace. I'm not sure if this dude is for real??? He wanted at first to come and see it. I said it's a long way from where you live to just "come and see it." I sent him more pics last night and this is what he just sent me as a reply:

Subject: Re: Firebird
To: vortechstang87@yahoo.com
Date: Tuesday, July 29, 2008, 1:00 PM

I have the $----. I would like to have it in my drive way for the $----.
I've never purchased a car without seeing it. Any suggestions on how I
could bring it back to Maryland reasonably?

I'm sorry but this just still sounds sketchy. He is persistant, I've never tried to sell a car nationally so I don't know if a scamster would try this. I had also made it clear that the check would need to be certified and I'd wait for it to clear before I release car and title to the new owner (told him 2 weeks ago). Yet he still keeps acting like he wants it.

How should I proceed? I will wait for people's responses and then reply back.

Thanks

Wait til the money clears if he sends it. Or setup a new account at your bank just so that he can wire you the money. Ive done it in the past and it works great.

GRM-REPR
07-29-2008, 01:50 PM
But do you think this person is legit?

Josepy
07-29-2008, 01:56 PM
If he wires you the money or does a certified check how much more legit do you need to be. Wait til everything clears. Go ask your bank what they think.

Prince Valiant
07-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Tell him then it's up to him to either a) fly out and take a look at it and decide if he wants it or b) drive out with a buddy and decide. Either way, if he likes what he sees, then he can drive it back AFTER he pays in cash for the vehicle.

If he doesn't, he can proceed to drive/fly back.

You are under no obligation to fund any portion of him coming out/getting it checked out etc.

With those kind of deals, I've only done cash (both having been both a buyer twice and seller once).

He could choose to drive/tow the car back...having driven the car before, it seems like with a fresh oil change/top of the radiator and check tire pressure etc, like it'd be a fine car for a road trip, so that certainly is an option for him. Tell him for the sake of it though, "AAA" GOLD membership can be a God-send on long road trips with older cars.

If when he comes, you might want someone else there "just to be sure" although it's unlikely anything untoward would happen. Have a bill of sale explicitly stating "AS-IS" too, just in case they don't have a clue.

Mostly this guy just seems like a novice at buying autos.

For both the insight and the coronet, I drove great distance to see the vehicles (the coronet was over 1200 miles away!!!) and was ready to turn around without either car if it wasn't what I thought the vehicle was worth (I had a detailed description and realistic expectation of both cars...the coronet particularly turned out better than anticipated due to the interior condition, but paint was a little worse than anticipated).

Just give him alot of insight and say "hey, you want it, come cash in hand and come get it..."

GRM-REPR
07-29-2008, 01:59 PM
I gave him my phone number, I've been told scammers don't like to talk but only communicate through an email.

GRM-REPR
07-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Chris, good points. The car has been on trips but not that far. He would certainly be driving back at his own risk, i.e accident, breakdown (which they'd blame on me) or anything else unforseen.

I suppose he could road trip with a buddy. Gas isn't cheap though but if he saw the car in person, I know he'd buy it. He does sound novice though. It also just seems shaky. Maybe because I'm paranoid about all the scammers out there.

shoooo32
07-29-2008, 02:08 PM
I've bought a few cars on ebay and used trucking companies to haul them with no issues so far. However for the money your car will bring you might want to consider an escrow company to handle the exchange and make sure everything is legit.

GRM-REPR
07-29-2008, 02:13 PM
I've bought a few cars on ebay and used trucking companies to haul them with no issues so far. However for the money your car will bring you might want to consider an escrow company to handle the exchange and make sure everything is legit.

Well, he needs to understand that the car price is one thing but shipping is another. He is making it sound like he will give me my bottom price and it should include shipping....Uhhhh, No. He or I could set up shipipng, or like Chris said, come pick it up and drive it home. I'm waiting to see if this dude calls me at all. If he doesn't I won't take him seriously. I suppose also, would a scam artist keep negotiating a price? Dont' those pricks just give you more that you ask? Sorry, just new to the national selling scene. Thanks for your reply.

shoooo32
07-29-2008, 02:20 PM
not sure what this guy is on. I would talk to him on the phone to see what's up. I highly recommend freightquote.com for shipping quotes though. Within ten minutes you will have ten emails from different shippers. edit: ermer says f this guy wire transfer only and make sure the money is safe in your hand before the car ships.

Waver
07-29-2008, 02:24 PM
here is what I did when I sold the 88 mustang this febuary....Since I did it on a national website (Stangnet.com) I had plenty of people who were interested....Before I even thought about taking the car anywhere to show anyone I requested at least 1,000 down (a little less than 1/4 the purchase price) that was non refundable if when I got there he backed out....If they are serious about the vehicle they will more than likely go for it....I took the check to their bank and got it cashed....now I know that there are some banks that arnt in the stat, so in that case get a post office check made out to you....

This is the best way that I have found to do business with people from out side the state if they are not willing/able to come to you and see the car....

GRM-REPR
07-29-2008, 02:44 PM
A wire transfer does sound like the best route. All in all, I'm not putting much into this person. I'll eat a turd if this person comes through.

Tell Ermer to eat my scrot.......hhahahahahhaha

H8RADE
07-29-2008, 04:09 PM
I sold my LandCruiser a year ago to a guy in Md. He bought it based on pictures and sent a carrier to pick it up.
The certified check cleared before I allowed him to arrange shipping, but it went off without a hitch.
It happens.
:thumbsup

67-400
07-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Tell em you're not available to check emails often and its imperative you receive a phone call.

When I got my Z out of Nebraska, I was intent on talking to the SELLER as opposed to talking to his email. The personal connection makes me as a buyer more confident HE's not a scammer. For transporting it, I just got a buddy w/a car trailer, paid his gas. We left 1:00am Friday morning and returned 10:00pm same day for a quick ride on the town. 3 + years ago. When we arrived at his house in NE, I brought cash in hand then went to his bank to sign over the title, all in person. It was my risk that the guy actually existed and physically owned the car, but when he answered my questions on the fly (address, phone #, name, personal email address, VIN#, car questions & etc..) it was a risk I was comfortable taking.

I honestly don't buy your guy, it seems very sketchy. Scammers are persistent when they want something. The only way I can see otherwise is if it is a young kid who is doing this but not telling his dad or something, just feeling out a dream with no intentions of following through. My .02.

GRM-REPR
07-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Now he has asked me if I have a Citi bank or Bank of America here and wants the zip code by my house. Still hasn't called though.....

BoosTT
07-29-2008, 08:45 PM
It's a waste of time. I would guess it's some 16 year old. Give him your phone, and even then, don't waste too much time.

Sprayaway Fox
07-29-2008, 11:39 PM
I had friends that bought cars way outa state and drove them home. Take another account out and have him deposit in that one. Wait til it clears! If he wants to hand you the check in person make sure he has his ID with him. I did that when I sold my chevelle way out of state, Have him go to the bank with you. If he starts getting antsy I would BEWARE. Whatch out for a false check with a fake bank on it. you call the number on the Certified and the person says oh yea its good and its one of his buddies in the scam. Do it all at your bank.

Nix
07-30-2008, 05:25 PM
I'll make sure you eat that turd if your heap sells. Also ED can die in a fire and Mike you are dead too.

Have you been beating on my car while I've been away FJ? I heard about your mishap the other day. Shit happens bro don't worry about it.

PIT FUKER!

03CVLX
07-30-2008, 06:11 PM
If it pans out, I have a State of Wisconsin AS-IS Bill of sale document that I bought for when I sold my Grand Prix. I can email it anyone who wants a copy just PM me.

gottwins?
07-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Tell em you're not available to check emails often and its imperative you receive a phone call.

When I got my Z out of Nebraska, I was intent on talking to the SELLER as opposed to talking to his email. The personal connection makes me as a buyer more confident HE's not a scammer. For transporting it, I just got a buddy w/a car trailer, paid his gas. We left 1:00am Friday morning and returned 10:00pm same day for a quick ride on the town. 3 + years ago. When we arrived at his house in NE, I brought cash in hand then went to his bank to sign over the title, all in person. It was my risk that the guy actually existed and physically owned the car, but when he answered my questions on the fly (address, phone #, name, personal email address, VIN#, car questions & etc..) it was a risk I was comfortable taking.

I honestly don't buy your guy, it seems very sketchy. Scammers are persistent when they want something. The only way I can see otherwise is if it is a young kid who is doing this but not telling his dad or something, just feeling out a dream with no intentions of following through. My .02.

You owned a Z? what generation?

gottwins?
07-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Oh and btw I bought my Z out of nevada..shipped it over here for 800$. I collected all the information I could about him, did reasearch on the titles and the owner to make sure it was legit....the more information the better.

gottwins?
07-30-2008, 06:59 PM
You owned a Z? what generation?

NVM just read your name carefully...funny when camaro owners refer to their Z28's as Z's...confuses the hell out of me.

67-400
07-31-2008, 09:13 AM
NVM just read your name carefully...funny when camaro owners refer to their Z28's as Z's...confuses the hell out of me.

Oh, no problem. That is confusing. I guess I shoulda jus said camaro, but it doesn't have the same ring to it. :)

Waver
07-31-2008, 05:10 PM
I'll make sure you eat that turd if your heap sells. Also ED can die in a fire and Mike you are dead too.

Have you been beating on my car while I've been away FJ? I heard about your mishap the other day. Shit happens bro don't worry about it.

PIT FUKER!

wow