PDA

View Full Version : 460 timing procedure?

BAD LS1
07-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Trying help my neighbors with a 91' F350 with a 460 that they cant get timed.

I went over and got the distributor clocked right, the rotor is pointing right at #1 on the cap and #1 is at TDC and @ the 0 mark on the balancer. the dist is clocked like inthe manual for it, with the #1 wire in about the 1 o clock pos in ref to the centerline of the intake

The thing calls for 10* advance w/o the little plug thing in. Set it there and the RPM's come up to about 1750... Lock it down and put the plug back in and now it idles @ 2k.... and still has a stumble off idle, but i think it has other issues there.

Any tips or tricks. Im going off what they had marked on the balancer as 10 BTDC, for all i know it could be 10* ATDC. Sound about right?

Prince Valiant
07-29-2008, 01:10 PM
If it's running smooth, it's probably not a timing issue that they're dealing with...sounds like either an idle setting issue/vacuum leak/or stuck/sticking throttle cable. Is this a carb or TBI? It seems like you pretty much did everything timing wise correctly...highest idle typically correlates to best timing (although it can be too far advanced sometimes). 10 ATDC it likely wouldn't run well if at all.

BAD LS1
07-29-2008, 09:44 PM
lol none of the mustang guys have done this? im sure its the same procedure on your EFI 5.0L's....

Chris, its an Multi port EFI 460. Its a good possibilty its got other major shit wrong with it causing the idle to go apeshit when its setup right. I looked at the obvious like linkage etc.. It has a set screw for the twin barrel TB but i didnt **** with it, the truck is lifted and too many mosquitos for me to be climbing around on it more than i was already lol