PDA

View Full Version : Turbo gran prix

Al
11-26-2003, 03:50 AM
I'm just wondering, are these gran prixes from the early 90's good or bad cars? One thing for sure is that they have a lot of "go" for such an inconspicuous vehicle.

BAD LS1
11-26-2003, 07:23 AM
Syclone0044 Owne's one... Il llet him chime in shortly and fill you on the details with his. It currently runs 14.7s

Red97GTP
11-26-2003, 01:36 PM
They're cool cars and all, but they are somewhat problematic. My cousin had a 1990 Turbo GP STE and he multiple problems with the ABS, and it nickle and dimed him. Unless you have a lot of time and money, it may not be the car for you.

Brian

BAD LS1
11-26-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Red97GTP
They're cool cars and all, but they are somewhat problematic. My cousin had a 1990 Turbo GP STE and he multiple problems with the ABS, and it nickle and dimed him. Unless you have a lot of time and money, it may not be the car for you.

Brian

Ahhh yes you must be speaking of the infamous "wallet master" braking system. Joshes acts up all the time but its still functional except the ABS does not work.

Al
11-26-2003, 06:43 PM
Is it just the ABS? Because you can always unplug it and avoid that problem...right???

BAD LS1
11-26-2003, 07:26 PM
These cars dont use convential vaccum assist power brakes. They are elctronic assist and have numerous problems. The Grand National use a similar setup but as far as i know are less problematic. Its hard to find one of these specimens that arent pounded to hell, everyone i seen so far just looked like pure hell.
Joshes is SUPER clean and is very mechnically sound but the couple times i drove it, it did have a flashing ABS light and the brakes feel kinda funny with the electronic assist.

lotsals1
11-26-2003, 08:23 PM
phuc it rip it all out and delete it

BadAzzGTA89
11-26-2003, 08:34 PM
Im with lotsals1 on this one not that hard to do

SMS 1
11-27-2003, 04:54 AM
um, I dont mean to come on here and try to sound like I know what I am talking about (especially after like half a liter of whiskey) but, I have a 94 GTP which has the same problematic ABS system. If I remember right it's the DELCO 6 ABS? JUNK! EXPENSIVE JUNK! Same prob on my car, ABS light on always, 52+ (j/k but alot) codes in memory and current, gonna pull the bulb out of the dash cluster!:headbang Phuck it!

And what is this ELECTRIC assist? Every DELCO ABS system I have seen on passenger cars is a vaccum base system. Maybe you mean the solenoids are electronic? I know some truck models were HydroBoost but never heard it called electronic assist?

Please if I missed something, let me know . . .

p.s. dont mean to sound cocky, Im just drunk and up way past my bed time! happy t-day

:party: Mixing another!!!

BAD LS1
11-27-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by SMS 1
um, I dont mean to come on here and try to sound like I know what I am talking about (especially after like half a liter of whiskey) but, I have a 94 GTP which has the same problematic ABS system. If I remember right it's the DELCO 6 ABS? JUNK! EXPENSIVE JUNK! Same prob on my car, ABS light on always, 52+ codes in memory and current, gonna pull the bulb out of the dash cluster!:headbang Phuck it!

And what is this ELECTRIC assist? Every DELCO ABS system I have seen on passenger cars is a vaccum base system. Maybe you mean the solenoids are electronic? I know some truck models were HydroBoost but never heard it called electronic assist?

Please if I missed something, let me know . . .

:party: Mixing another!!!

Being the fact that the Grand National and TGP are both forced induction cars and arent under vaccum in most cases to provide adequate braking when panic stopping while the engine was under boost, because the engine doesnt go into vaccum the split second you let off the gas. It's a PowermasterIII braking system not a Delco also. This system utilizes built up and stored hydraulic brake pressure in an accumulator that is maintained by an electronic pump on the braking unit to keep pressures around 1800 psi in the accumulator for power braking assist. You can convert the PowermasterIII to conventional Vaccum brakes and junk the ABS, but youd have to use a special brake booster check valve like whats used in the Syclones and Typhoons, which to my knowledge is the only Turbo GM products to use vaccum brakes from day 1. These "walletmasterIII's" can be had thru GM for like $2,700 new. Which that right there is enough to total the car LOL. So its best to find a well maintained TGP or STE that the Wallet master might be functioning OK but the ABS might have headed south. Josh... you can jump in here anytime, i mean you own one of the McLaren's your self:flipoff:

Syclone0044
11-27-2003, 03:10 PM
I have a 1990 Turbo Grand Prix that's my daily driver. The Wallet Master III brake system sucks. The brake feel is the worst of any vehicle I've driven. You can't "rip out the ABS" because the electronic ABS *IS* the brake system. If you took it out you'd have no brakes at all. You can't easily convert to vacuum brakes either. If you want to read more about it check out www.turbogpgarage.com he has a special PowerMaster section.

The cars certainly have more than their share of problems. I would not recommend it as a beater if you think of beater as a car you can beat and not spend money on. However I like mine because it is a bad ass car, it has the largest tires of any FWD car ever from the factory, 245/50/16 tires on 16x8 rims, same as my Syclone or any standard F-Body. They look really bad ass! It is loaded with features inside the car, navigation system, 12 way power seats, bucket seats in the back , center console front and rear, Heads up Display, etc.

The GM 60* 3.1L V-6 is a nice engine too, good flowing aluminum heads, stout bottom end on this vehicle (LG5 motor) with hardened crank and custom reinforced pistons. Distributorless ignition. My engine has 125,000 miles on it and the compression is absolutley perfect, even better than my Syclone's motor with 40,000 on it. It has the original ignition coil packs and yet the motor has no problems running 12 PSI Boost on 93 pump gas with CONSTANT 0.0 knock all the time. I don't have to do anything to maintain the motor's acceleration performance (complete opposite of my truck). The stock turbo is really, REALLY small, a ~330 CFM Garrett T-25, very similar to what comes stock on a 2.0L Mitsubishi 4G63 but with different housings. Hence, it has pros and cons. The cons are numerous, it maxes out efficiency at 12 PSI behind this motor, after that you will just go SLOWER even though you still have octane left to spare. There aren't really any turbo upgrades commonly available either. On the bright side, with a manual boost controller, the spoolup is so quick it's no different than a naturally aspirated car. The boost is literally at maximum by the time the gas pedal hits the floor. It spools quicker than any vehicle I've ever seen. So it makes a really fun throttle response where the car pulls hard even at 40-60% throttle, put it down a little more and it will continue to pull more. The magazines rated them at 15.3 @ 89 MPH. That's exactly what I ran in mine bone stock with 100,000 miles at GLD. I put a chip in it (www.turbograndprix.com), a new exhaust crossover pipe (same website), and a K&N cone filter and ran 14.7 @ 91 or 93, can't remember. I think if a good T3 flange turbo like my stock Syclone turbo were put on this car, with high octane, 13 seconds would be easy.

Josh

Al
11-30-2003, 03:22 AM
I think your GP and my prelude met on 100. Is your car red?

Syclone0044
11-30-2003, 04:10 AM
Yeah that was me and Tom.

SMS 1
11-30-2003, 06:09 AM
Sorry it took so long, but, ya you guys are right. I forgot all about that system. Like I said, the whiskey was a flowin! And I hadn't paid attention to the fact that it was a TGP, I was just thinkin conventional. Keep it up, don't mind me . . .

SMS 1
11-30-2003, 06:11 AM
wow, just read my post again, what a friggin idiot . . .

BAD LS1
11-30-2003, 09:30 AM
Yeah the old TGP was movin out pretty good last night despite the lack of traction due to the OBSCENE amounts of salt used on the roads. It still managed to own 2 mustang GT's of about 98' vintage LOL. Nothing like the reaction from the owner of the contending car that cant belive the facted they got OWN3D by a early 90's "family car". This one guy was all about trying to exact his revenge on second bout too after making him look kinda like a chump in front of his girl freind. The car leaves me giggling like a little school boy after every such event, its funny how fast the car actually is in all of its 3600LB FWD glory.

Tom