PDA

View Full Version : where to buy Arcade games?

Flicktitty
07-24-2008, 12:49 PM
My brother is looking for the stand up video game AREA:51 does anyone know a place that sells used stand up arcade games?

He has been checking ebay and craigslist with no luck.

ND4SPD
07-24-2008, 01:02 PM
Have you checked the yellow pages for arcade games sales and service? I know there are a few companies in Madison that sell and service coin-op arcade games. I did a fire inspection there a few years back and it was pretty awesome.

Flicktitty
07-24-2008, 01:05 PM
can't say i have. His friend works for some vending company so he looks for them but no luck as of yet. I will have to look. Thanks.

Windsors 03 Cobra
07-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Back when gas was $2 a gallon and I could afford to buy 3 newspapers a day to read at work I would see an ad about twice a year in the urinal-sentinel for a "huge arcade game and slot machine sale" at state fair park.

CobraSnake
07-24-2008, 01:32 PM
Back when gas was $2 a gallon and I could afford to buy 3 newspapers a day to read at work I would see an ad about twice a year in the urinal-sentinel for a "huge arcade game and slot machine sale" at state fair park.

yeah its called the arcade aution they actually have them pretty often. My buddy goes to them because he collects arcades(duh!). They have brand new to completely broken old ass machines so you can definately find something. As for that arcade specifically IDK if they have it or had it but, they have EVERYTHING!! Its definately a fun little place to just walk around and look at. I heard about it when I was looking for my pool table. They had cougar valley bar tables going for 300 bucks but one piece slate is waaaaaay to heavy.

Mark

BoosTT
07-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Superauctions is the place to buy games. superauctions.com lists when they'll be in milwaukee next. Don't go crazy buying your first game from them though, they try to scam people bidding. They have undercover people working for them bidding up games... so watch what your doing. It's also very common for games to break when they are moved ruffly. The electronics are old and have tons of wires. Prices very greatly on many little factors also (such as: number of coin slots, screen size, artwork, ect).

I actually have a collection of arcade games AND AN AREA 51. Mine is two player, area 51 and maximum force combo game (two in one), stand up, coin-op, 25" screen, mint condition with extra guns. I might concider selling it, if the price is right....

I can let you know all about arcade games... I have been collecting and fixing them for years.

CannotPost
07-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Ebay can work too, shipping is a bit costly.

I bought a 4 player simpsons game from a seller in Texas, in the end I paid like $650 for the game and shipping.

They are a great novelty item, after a while I got bored with 1 game and bought some other PCB's to play diffrent games. I stayed with "scrolling fighter" style games as this way there were no additional controls to add.

I play my 360 waaaay more.

CobraSnake
07-24-2008, 03:20 PM
Ebay can work too, shipping is a bit costly.

I bought a 4 player simpsons game from a seller in Texas, in the end I paid like $650 for the game and shipping.

They are a great novelty item, after a while I got bored with 1 game and bought some other PCB's to play diffrent games. I stayed with "scrolling fighter" style games as this way there were no additional controls to add.

I play my 360 waaaay more.

see thats the nice thing about these arcade autions. My buddy was there and he got a really old army game, I don't remember the name, but he paid like $150 bucks.

Mark

theavenger333
07-24-2008, 03:23 PM
state fair has the arcade auctions about 2 times a month. none during july or august though. beware, it IS an auction, get there early to get good games, otherwise they'll be snatched up by wholesalers

Z You L8r
07-24-2008, 11:25 PM
You can also try reds novelty in the Milwaukee Area. They supply alot of the bars with games and they sell to the public.

theavenger333
07-24-2008, 11:56 PM
now that i think of it, there's also a wholesale video game warehouse on College Ave just inside the east of New Berlin. across from Matty's bar and Grille. about 2-3 miles east of moreland

UnderPSI
07-25-2008, 07:21 AM
I have lethal enforcers gunfighters if he is interested. $250. The game is a blast.

ND4SPD
07-25-2008, 09:07 AM
With the advent of the MAME and Daphne arcade emulators there are very few if any arcade machines I'd bother buying. If I had the money I'd love to have one of the MAME stand-up cabinets.

wikked
07-25-2008, 10:11 AM
With the advent of the MAME and Daphne arcade emulators there are very few if any arcade machines I'd bother buying. If I had the money I'd love to have one of the MAME stand-up cabinets.

Build your own, plans are readily available on the intertubes :thumbsup

LIL EVO
07-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Pic of an arcade my friend built

http://www.lilevo.com/bryan/gaming/images/img_0713.jpg

BoosTT
07-25-2008, 11:44 AM
I have played about 15 mame games incuding some pro built $2500 ones. They all suck balls compared to the real games. Graphics and audio are often not the same. Roms usually run slower too. You have an extra 3 buttons usually and a bunch of roms that dont even work at all. If you play the real game, then a rom of it you'll understand.

If anything I would get a multi-jamma. Atleast then, it'll somewhat work. And screw building your own cabnet! You can buy an empty cabnet at superauctions for like $20 and it'll have the marquette bulb, speaker, ect.

ND4SPD
07-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Even if it's not a perfect emulation, it makes more sense because I can think of VERY few (if any) full blown arcade games that I would actually buy because I would get bored with them pretty fast. So, other than being a conversation piece, all it would be doing would be taking up space.

BoosTT
07-25-2008, 03:07 PM
Yeah, but MAME gets boring too. Would you rather have 250 crappy games that kinda work or one perfect one? You cant even do any *cool* games in mame (no racing, no shooting, nothing newer then 2004, ect). IMO, mame is not really cooler then having a playstation disc with 100 classic games on it, since you have all the extra buttons and crap already.

In the long run, nearly every acrade game collector ends up selling their games for pinball machines... that's what I've been doing too.