PDA

View Full Version : Master power turbos

70 cutlass 442
07-23-2008, 03:42 PM
Has anyone used the master power turbos? whats you opinion on them?

DurtyKurty
07-23-2008, 06:15 PM
The Master Power turbos have been hit and miss from what I have heard. My experiences have taught me to just spend the money and get the correct size, name brand turbo right off the bat.

You wanna do twin or single?

Russ Jerome
07-23-2008, 06:22 PM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=master+power+turbos+suck

They work, I would put a screener in oil return line from whats been written.

HITMAN
07-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Not as good as N2O...

70 cutlass 442
07-23-2008, 10:42 PM
Not as good as N2O...

what would you know about being on the gun, last i checked you were still afraid to launch your car.....

Smokey1226
07-23-2008, 10:47 PM
lolz

udlose98
07-23-2008, 10:59 PM
MP is a decent turbo, nothing more, nothing less.

Boost21
07-24-2008, 12:23 AM
Just finished putting one on my buddies ws6 trans am. works so far, but we are still tuning and making adjustments.

Flicktitty
07-24-2008, 12:50 AM
they work fine as long as you don't over boost them. what ever they are rated for don't go over. My buddy has one on his integra and it has 18K miles on it and it's fine.

GTSLOW
07-24-2008, 01:10 AM
My buddy has one on his integra and it has 18K miles on it and it's fine.

Thats one lucky SOB! Any rebuilds?

Flicktitty
07-24-2008, 01:46 AM
Thats one lucky SOB! Any rebuilds?

Nope. none. it is starting to be on it's way out. which for a 400 tubro kit with 18K HARD miles thats pretty good. time to go big now.:devil

70 cutlass 442
07-24-2008, 01:56 AM
I just didnt know if i should bite the bullet and get a name brand ball ebaring turbo or if these things worked decent

boostaddict14
07-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Master power= junk = crap. Get a garrett, holset, ihi, precision etc. Stay away from cheap turbos. yea its fine if your run low boost but you could be running a better turbo and get better lb/min airflow better efficiency and more power. Don't cheap out where it counts.

BeesTwinEG
07-24-2008, 09:59 AM
Masterpower turbo are pretty decent for its price!
made 635, 550 and etc.. :thumbsup

BAD LS1
07-24-2008, 10:28 AM
Im not convinced ball bearing turbos have any real spool advantages over a plain bearing on a V8 from what i have seen/experienced. besides isnt it MANDATORY you have a water cooled jacket on a ball bearing whistle maker???

The name brands do spend alot more time R&D ing their products and have a half way decent warranty behind them too. But if its cost you're after... Sounds like russian roulette by the mixed reviews.

boostaddict14
07-24-2008, 11:23 AM
besides isnt it MANDATORY you have a water cooled jacket on a ball bearing whistle maker???

nope, thats what they make turbo timers for.

BAD LS1
07-24-2008, 11:36 AM
They are gonna be alot more susseptable to bearing damage though, opposed to the plain if they are not allowed spool down time before shutting off etc.

For the 600$ + cost increase though... Maybe on a 4 banger that doesnt have alot of exhaust gas pressure to buzz up a beefy hair dryer i could see it. There are easier/cheaper ways to get faster spool up.

boostaddict14
07-24-2008, 11:56 AM
They are gonna be alot more susseptable to bearing damage though, opposed to the plain if they are not allowed spool down time before shutting off etc.

To be honest turbos only need very little oil to be cooled efficiently, hence oil restrictors etc. I think ball bearing turbos are a waste of money personally. Id rather have an easy rebuild then buying a whole new center section.

forest
07-24-2008, 03:04 PM
There are easier/cheaper ways to get faster spool up.
haha yup:nitrous

WhatsADSM
07-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Im not convinced ball bearing turbos have any real spool advantages over a plain bearing on a V8 from what i have seen/experienced. besides isnt it MANDATORY you have a water cooled jacket on a ball bearing whistle maker???

The name brands do spend alot more time R&D ing their products and have a half way decent warranty behind them too. But if its cost you're after... Sounds like russian roulette by the mixed reviews.

Having owned a bunch of both BB and standard bearing turbos here is my take.

The BB does spool up a *little* earlier in terms of WOT spool RPM... however in most cases it isn't really anything to write home about... maybe 200 rpm or so.

HOWEVER, the transient response on the BB turbos is much better. So if I am already in the spool range and get off it and back on it, the BB will come in much quicker. Additionally the BB CHRA is typically more rugged than the standard bearing.

Moral of the story: If you are going for straight line, drag race style power then go with the standard bearing. There are much better ways to get more performance than spending your cash on a BB turbo.

If you are looking for more of a bit power auto x, circuit, drift turbo... where the transients play a HUGE roll in performance, then go with the ball bearing... it will be worth the money.

To the OP:
I heard you just slap one of these suckers on a V8 and it will go 8s easy :rolleyes: :rolf

Seriously tho, the XSPower/SSAuto/MPPower turbos are very hit or miss knockoffs and definately based on older design. If you are making a cheap just for fun to fool around wtih car, then maybe its worth it to try the turbo... But if you are making a car that you want to make big numbers and be some what trustworthy I wouldn't touch those things... there is some truth to "you get what you pay for".

Russ Jerome
07-24-2008, 04:19 PM
I just didnt know if i should bite the bullet and get a name brand ball ebaring turbo or if these things worked decent

Brand new t-3/4 Turbonetics are $600 and up. I've bought
3 in the past 10 yrs, I run remote filters to feed them oil and
all 3 are still in daily service on cars I have since sold.

Properly sized I cant justify a ball bearing turbo but would buy
one if I had an extra grand laying around...... When you hit the
throttle and your tires ignite in smoke at freeway speed its just
not worth it for bearings but again I have never owned a true
roller bearing turbo in my life.

70 cutlass 442
07-24-2008, 04:39 PM
well, here is my take. Im not %100 worried how it will spool, I am but i am not. I know where it will spool with the proper ar on it, im more worried about longitivity of it for daily driver use.

WhatsADSM
07-24-2008, 05:44 PM
well, here is my take. Im not %100 worried how it will spool, I am but i am not. I know where it will spool with the proper ar on it, im more worried about longitivity of it for daily driver use.

Then why chance it... As has been brought up before, the standard bearing turbos from the name brands are only a little more. Why not pick one of those up?

Hell I would probably trust a used name brand more than a shot in the dark at "master power"

Why by this for $580
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270257233992&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RCRX_Pr3_PcY_BID_Stores_IT&refitem=270257233971&itemcount=3&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m184&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu% 3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D3

When you can get this for just $300 more, and its a real PTE/Garret:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Precision-GT4088-Turbo-NEW-T4-Garrett-GT40-GT4088R-JDM_W0QQitemZ170115993293QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3 286.m20.l1116

70 cutlass 442
07-24-2008, 05:48 PM
/\/\ that is why i asked, i have no problem spending a bit more for a better turbo, but i do see lota of master power ones out there, just didnt know how well they were.

Deggy
07-24-2008, 05:55 PM
/\/\ that is why i asked, i have no problem spending a bit more for a better turbo, but i do see lota of master power ones out there, just didnt know how well they were.

Let's throw one on the Grand Am and see how long it lasts. :goof

FourEyedFord
07-24-2008, 05:57 PM
I don't know if you have seen this thread on turbomustangs.com, but I'll post it anyways.

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=74174.0

I don't have any real experience for you, but my precision idles really nice. :D

Whats the combo?

70 cutlass 442
07-24-2008, 06:05 PM
I don't know if you have seen this thread on turbomustangs.com, but I'll post it anyways.

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=74174.0

I don't have any real experience for you, but my precision idles really nice. :D

Whats the combo?

good find, i spend way to much time on that forum, and never stumbled across that. build is as follows....

DSS pro bullit bottom end level 20 block, Trick flow twisted wedge, torn between the trick flow track heat that came with it or switch to a edelbrock single plane with fuel rails. b&g hot side w/ 3" dp and intercooled

FourEyedFord
07-24-2008, 06:08 PM
DSS pro bullit bottom end level 20 block, Trick flow twisted wedge, torn between the trick flow track heat that came with it or switch to a edelbrock single plane with fuel rails. b&g hot side w/ 3" dp and intercooled

Cool!

What size turbo are you looking at getting?

70 cutlass 442
07-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Cool!

What size turbo are you looking at getting?

rite aorund a t70, ive read the .68 hot side will spool almost to fast, even at half throttle around town, i may step that up one size. Most the kits come with the master power turbo, but i opted not do the kit since i would like different options when it come to turbo selection.

FourEyedFord
07-24-2008, 06:33 PM
rite aorund a t70, ive read the .68 hot side will spool almost to fast, even at half throttle around town, i may step that up one size. Most the kits come with the master power turbo, but i opted not do the kit since i would like different options when it come to turbo selection.

I have not heard any bad things about B&G's kits at all, unlike a lot of the other companys. If you have any troubles down the road, the owner frequents turbo mustangs a lot too, so you can always get a hold of him there. Good luck!

HITMAN
07-24-2008, 10:40 PM
what would you know about being on the gun, last i checked you were still afraid to launch your car.....

...says the guy that was gonna race me from a roll just to "shut me the Fu(K up" and then whines about "why can't we go from a dig?"... :yawn:

70 cutlass 442
07-24-2008, 10:46 PM
...says the guy that was gonna race me from a roll just to "shut me the Fu(K up" and then whines about "why can't we go from a dig?"... :yawn:

I actually whined about not going from a dig way before you ever challenged me to a 50 roll, (see rons sig) I just continue to make fun of you for it because your a sally and cant launch your car :goof

HITMAN
07-24-2008, 11:21 PM
I actually whined about not going from a dig way before you ever challenged me to a 50 roll, (see rons sig) I just continue to make fun of you for it because your a sally and cant launch your car :goof

Oh, the awesome driving skill of launching a car with an automatic and sticky tires on a SRA. :rolleyes:

Instead of trying to be amusing, just stick with what you already know. Nothing.

boostaddict14
07-25-2008, 09:31 AM
I find it funny that the overall domestic scene seems to just have recently found the benefits of turbo over supercharging and now they want to slap a turbo on everything.

70 cutlass 442
07-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Oh, the awesome driving skill of launching a car with an automatic and sticky tires on a SRA. :rolleyes:

Instead of trying to be amusing, just stick with what you already know. Nothing.

automatic? since when was a t5 an automatic..... and im the one that knows nothing :rolleyes: and sticky tires? I have the same goodyears that came on your car from the factory.

70 cutlass 442
07-25-2008, 11:19 AM
I find it funny that the overall domestic scene seems to just have recently found the benefits of turbo over supercharging and now they want to slap a turbo on everything.

very true, now i wonder when the import scene will see the benefits of RWD :thumbsup

HY35F2T
07-25-2008, 11:20 AM
very true, now i wonder when the import scene will see the benefits of RWD :thumbsup

hahahaha

prolly when being rwd and 219whp will get you in the 12's.
Just buy the hot pipes and go from there.Hope you can read compressor maps.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/tech_center/turbo_tech103.html

Deggy
07-25-2008, 11:22 AM

He has a 240sx, so he already found that benefit.:goof

70 cutlass 442
07-25-2008, 11:28 AM
He has a 240sx, so he already found that benefit.:goof

I was reffering to the majority of imports!

Flicktitty
07-25-2008, 11:34 AM
I was reffering to the majority of imports!

fwd sucks plain and simple.

HY35F2T
07-25-2008, 11:42 AM
fwd sucks plain and simple.

yeah but torque steer can be fun.

FourEyedFord
07-25-2008, 11:46 AM

I just wanted to be as fast as those import guys. So thats why I went with a turbo..... :thumbsup

boostaddict14
07-25-2008, 12:01 PM
I just wanted to be as fast as those import guys. So thats why I went with a turbo..... :thumbsup

haha
I still remember back when i was 17 and some ws6 tried to race you from a light by omega your car flew like a bat out of hell you pulled like 30 cars on him instantly with a huge plume of smoke behind you. awesome

FourEyedFord
07-25-2008, 12:27 PM
haha
I still remember back when i was 17 and some ws6 tried to race you from a light by omega your car flew like a bat out of hell you pulled like 30 cars on him instantly with a huge plume of smoke behind you. awesome

How long ago was that?

I remember tearing up a silver WS6 car when I had a 393ci/5spd combo in my car at the 100/lincoln lights. (3-4 years ago) It probably was on more than one occasion though. :D

Flicktitty
07-25-2008, 01:12 PM
How long ago was that?

I remember tearing up a silver WS6 car when I had a 393ci/5spd combo in my car at the 100/lincoln lights. (3-4 years ago) It probably was on more than one occasion though. :D

that sounds about right then, he is like 20-21.