PDA

View Full Version : My Private World of Warcraft... server

ND4SPD
07-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Okay a few people have asked about what they have to do to get on a private World of Warcraft server (mine or anyone elses). Well, the requirements differ from server to server, but for mine you have to have World of Warcraft (obviously). Either buy it, download it, get it from a friend, download the 10-day trial, whatever. The next thing you have to do is update it to version 2.4.2. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT under any circumstances allow it to patch to 2.4.3 or you may have to uninstall it and start over. Once you've got your client all patched up, PM or E-mail me and I will create an account for you and tell you how to modify your realmlist.wtf file (in your WoW directory) so that it points to my server. I am not going to publish my server address outside of PMs because I don't want to invite hackers and other miscreants to my systems and network.

To do the patching, open up your World of Warcraft directory and run launcher.exe. It should start downloading updates automatically.

The patch downloader looks like this:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc93/xND4SPDx/WoW/WoWPatch.jpg

You'll notice that this patch is downloading a 2.4.2 to 2.4.3 patch... you do not want to do this. If you see this, you will want to "CANCEL". Start up WoW. Look down in the bottom left, it should say...

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc93/xND4SPDx/WoW/BottomLeftCorner.jpg

If it's a higher number than 2.4.2 then you either patched too far, or the version of WoW you got ahold of was already patched beyond 2.4.2.8278 (this may happen if you download the 10-day trial). If it's less than 2.4.2 then you need to run launcher.exe again.

RULES and information (for my server)

First off, this is my family's home server. This among other things, performs remote backups of our home PCs. So please treat it with some respect. Any attempts at hacking or crashing the server will result in SEVERE consequences. And so that there's no confusion, I am talking about real-world consequences... not just deleting your account or messing with your character.

Second. The WoW server is running an emulator called MaNGOS. It is continually in development so there are bugs and problems with quests, portals, etc... So you will occasionally notice problems. Some I can take care of, some I can't. There is an in-game help menu (the "?" on the main action bar) that will detail some of the issues with this Mangos release. There is a problem Ticket feature built into the game. If you are having a problem with a quest or something, submit a ticket for it and I will do my best to fix it, or get you around the problem.

Third. The server is only a P4 2.5GHz w/1GB of memory and we have a residential cable connection. The most players I've ever had at once was 4. So, I don't know where the threshold is before lag starts to become noticeable. While I do plan on upgrading the server soon to a Core2 w/2 to 4 GB of memory... understand that it's performance as a WoW server is secondary to it's other functions.

Fourth. Please don't develop an emotional attachment to your characters. If a new release of the server software comes out I will do my best to backup everyone's characters. I can't guarantee that the backups will always work after a server update. They've made it much easier now as they have separated the character database from the main database so changes to the primary database's structure don't affect characters. What I'm saying is I'm not going to tolerate any griping if you just spent the past week speed-leveling to 70 and a server update wiped out your character. Remember, you're playing for free. If you want to gripe, go pay and play on an official Blizzard server.

Fifth, if you're new to this and are REALLY enjoying your WoW experience, as much as I enjoy having other users on my server... you really should consider paying for an official WoW membership and playing on the official servers. There is an element to the official WoW world that no private server will ever be able to capture (because private servers can handle at most a few hundered users where the official ones can handle thousands. Interacting and playing with other people is part of what makes MMORPGs so much fun. They do tend to eat up a lot of your spare time though and people like me who are married and have kids, simply don't have the time available to invest in them anymore.

And finally, have fun.

Cleveland Dave
07-23-2008, 11:01 AM
so the advantage of this is i dont have to pay a monthly fee? i maybe interested...i havent played in over 2 years though.

ND4SPD
07-23-2008, 11:09 AM
I haven't played on an official server in at least that long as well.Yep, that's the advantage. That and I have control over drop rates, xp multipliers, etc... I usually have them bumped up a little bit over the official servers to reduce the need to *grind*.

The disadvantage of course is you're not playing with 10 million other people scattered over however many servers. So, the auction is pretty much useless (though the next server revision is supposed to have a BOT to put random items up for auction). Instance dungeons kinda suck because there's rarely enough people to tackle them. So, what I usually do is try to buff people up so that they can make it through alone if necessary. Finally, there are some bugs (as mentioned). But, it's a pretty good alternative for those that have already played or aren't planning on making WoW a major hobby (because that is exactly what playing on the official servers becomes).

wikked
07-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Instance dungeons kinda suck because there's rarely enough people to tackle them. So, what I usually do is try to buff people up so that they can make it through alone if necessary. Finally, there are some bugs (as mentioned). But, it's a pretty good alternative for those that have already played or aren't planning on making WoW a major hobby (because that is exactly what playing on the official servers becomes).

Can't you just debuff the elites & trash mobs in the instances?
Otherwise won't the player be wayyy too overpowered when not in instances?

ND4SPD
07-23-2008, 01:22 PM
well, debuffing all the mobs and so forth might be a lot of work. I think there's a way to change the difficulty modifier on the elites... but I don't know for sure if the server will accept decimal numbers for the multiplier (I suppose I try it and see what happens). The other thing with the player buff is it only lasts until logout... and sometimes doesn't even last that long. The other thing is that I have to be careful with what I change in the database. One reason is because if a new database revision is released, all those changes will get wiped anyway. And, changing database data directly can have... unforseen consequences. Anyway, I'm looking into it because it's been a pain for me as well.

Update I finally got my signup page to work. So, if you want to create an account you can now do so without my intervention. Go here:

http://nd4spd.dyndns.org/wow/

I think you *might* have to have the Burning Crusade Expansion to play on my server... but I'm not sure. Silver86 was having trouble getting in with his client. I know you can change what client builds are accepted with the Ascent servers, but I don't know for sure if you can do that with the MaNGOS servers. I'll have to look into that more.

oops... looks like I broke the signup page again. Bear with me.

Neal Steffek
07-23-2008, 02:06 PM
how do you roll back to 2.4.2 ? I am already updated to 2.4.3

ND4SPD
07-23-2008, 02:14 PM
If you're playing on the official servers as well you will probably want to install WoW again (to a different directory) because 2.4.2 may not work on the official servers anymore. If you're not playing on the official servers anymore, the easiest way would be to just uninstall and reinstall. There might be some more info on google about rolling back the patches for the WoW client... I'm going to look there now.

The signup page is working again. http://nd4spd.dyndns.org/wow/

Here's some info on rolling back your client...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071116160749AAwubB2
http://www.gamerzplanet.net/forums/world-warcraft/241865-rollback-patching.html

I haven't tried these so be careful.

Silver86
07-23-2008, 03:05 PM
hmmm... i dont have a repair.exe that they mention in the roll-back..

DSMDuDE
07-23-2008, 03:15 PM
Very cool, i played on the offical server about year to 2 years ago, but could not justify the monthly payment..

Deff looking forward to signing up for your server

Thanks!

ND4SPD
07-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Guys, make sure you download the Burning Crusade expansion. Look for a torrent of it, if you can't find it anywhere else. I am not 100% sure if a non-BC WoW client will work with my server. I'm working on trying to find a work around for those that don't have it, but it might take a while.

Looks like you can get a free trial of the burning crusade if you're a current or former player. Check the offical world of warcraft site for more info on that.

ND4SPD
07-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Okay, it looks like the 10-Day trial everyone is downloading is pulling down version 2.4.2.8301 which is newer than the version running on my server (and won't work... yet). The MaNGOS developers have added 2.4.3 support into their latest revisions... I just need to wait for someone to compile it then I can put that up and we should be good to go for the time being. If you have access to an older version of WoW (other than the trial that you can download currently off the WoW site) then use that.

wikked
07-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Someone out there has gotta have an old trial CD they can rip.

nismodave
07-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Leeeeeeeroyyyyyy Jeeeeeeeeenkinssss!!!!

ND4SPD
07-23-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm in the process of getting the server updated so it'll accept the newer clients. Hopefully I'll have it done soon.

Okay, I've gotten a 2.4.3 server up and downloaded the trial... but when I tried to connect it freaked out because it thought I had a regular full account instead of a trial account. So, it's looking like you guys are going to have to get ahold of the full retail version.

DSMDuDE
07-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Backing up my friends copy now as we speak ;)

ND4SPD
07-24-2008, 07:07 AM
I'm also testing a different server version called "Ascent". So far it seems to do better with collision detection but is harder to install and manage. The developers like to put little anti-newb traps in their config files and then laugh when someone asks okay why the hell isn't this working. :rolleyes: I should be able to run both the MaNGOS and the Ascent servers at the same time. Right now I have 3 WoW server installations on the system (the original 2.4.2, a 2.4.3 MaNGOS which I'm having trouble getting to run at the same time as the 2.4.2, and the Ascent 2.4.3 server. I have a registration page up for the Ascent server that works as well as the one that the MaNGOS servers share. There is a fourth that I will be installing that will be running the alpha release of the new Wrath of the Lich King expansion... but I don't have the client alpha software yet (from which some files are required).

Anyway, in any case as I was saying before, don't get too attached to your characters because I plan on loading another server revision soon (for the auction house functionality) and I'm not sure what that's going to mean for people's characters (especially if I switch server emulators).

Believe it or not, I'm not as much of a noob at this as it looks. I had a server up and running about a year and a half ago, but got busy with other things (like a child) so I've just been trying to re-learn everything and adapt it to a real standalone server (before the server was just running on my desktop PC).

Nix
07-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Leeeeeeeroyyyyyy Jeeeeeeeeenkinssss!!!!

that shit was hilarious! Go to youtube and check it out again for some laughs. :rolf

Did he... I can't believe he just... Everyone lets go, get in there! They didn't stand a chance after he did that. :rolf

*edit* http://youtube.com/watch?v=LkCNJRfSZBU :rolf

Silver86
07-24-2008, 01:33 PM
damn... ill have to find someone with a retail version...

ND4SPD
07-24-2008, 04:47 PM
that shit was hilarious! Go to youtube and check it out again for some laughs. :rolf

Did he... I can't believe he just... Everyone lets go, get in there! They didn't stand a chance after he did that. :rolf

*edit* http://youtube.com/watch?v=LkCNJRfSZBU :rolf

That was pretty funny... dudes a friggn celebrity now.

DSMDuDE
07-24-2008, 10:50 PM
wow install files with expansion and updater is 6.34GB

Installing now

ND4SPD
07-25-2008, 09:10 AM
how did the install go? Also, try to stick to patching it to 2.4.2 right now. I can bring the 2.4.3 servers up if need be, but I haven't really had a chance to look them over for major bugs or anything like that.