PDA

View Full Version : Drag Radials

67-400
07-22-2008, 09:27 AM
So how many of you still use the bleachbox when you have a set of DR's on your car? Others i've talked to say they still do the burn-outs to warm em up, similar to those with slicks. In the past, i've always gone around the box & just ran it as it is and my car always launched hard w/the BFG DR's. (personal best 60' = 1.732). Post your beliefs....

juicedimpss
07-22-2008, 09:42 AM
i use the waterbox.
best 60' with drag radials on the impala was 1.55

0TransAm0
07-22-2008, 10:18 AM
i used the box with street tires.. they were bald already tho does that count?

i really need to get a set and see what my car will run.. everytime ive been down thier i just spin off the line...

WhatsADSM
07-22-2008, 10:27 AM
With the Nitto 555rs you REALLY need to heat them up to get them to stick better due to their design.

So yea with the 555rs I will be doing a big smokey burnout in the box.

67-400
07-22-2008, 11:45 AM
With the Nitto 555rs you REALLY need to heat them up to get them to stick better due to their design.

I just picked up a set of Nitto's yesterday, I hit the jackpot. Called A & A Tire off Beloit & HWY 100 to find prices...they said "Got some 'Take-offs' from a guy who just bought a grand national with them on, he wanted new street tires." "You can have em both for $160 installed" he tells me. Basically brand new, still has the advertised 6/32" tread depth! :banana Guess i'll be heatin em up then!

WhatsADSM
07-22-2008, 01:57 PM
I just picked up a set of Nitto's yesterday, I hit the jackpot. Called A & A Tire off Beloit & HWY 100 to find prices...they said "Got some 'Take-offs' from a guy who just bought a grand national with them on, he wanted new street tires." "You can have em both for $160 installed" he tells me. Basically brand new, still has the advertised 6/32" tread depth! :banana Guess i'll be heatin em up then!

Wow... thats a really good deal. I'm jealous, congrats.

Yea the 555rs are honestly the least sticky of all the DRs, however they make up for it by actually having a decent treadwear rating.

But yea heat them up really good, they need to be HOT to get really sticky...

Beagle
07-22-2008, 02:03 PM

Yea the 555rs are honestly the least sticky of all the DRs, however they make up for it by actually having a decent treadwear rating.

They dont need to be that hot. I dont do big as burners with mine and I cut 1.6-1.8 60fts all day. They arent the stickiest drag radial but they do heat up quick. :thumbsup

Irish
08-02-2008, 04:52 PM

They are no MT ET but they are a helluva lot better than street tires.

Berettaspeed
08-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Here is my thought, someone plz correct me if its not accurate, but since doing burn outs in my car and maybe others can really putt unwanted stress on the drivetrain. i was thinking of getting really nice autocrossing tires. only because i would think they are designed to grip in lower temps. i would think no burn outs needed.

i have been trying to find a straight answer. even emailing tire companies. no straight answer, LOL. they all say "the tire is not meant for this or that, but we do carry drag tires,"

Irish
08-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Buy a cheap set and do your own testing. If it works well, call the tire companies that you have called and let them know!

Beagle
08-02-2008, 05:45 PM
ill puled a 1.7 60ft on kdws's. they are an all season tire meant for wet and snow conditions. They didnt hook to bad. I wouldnt recommend them though lol.....

Irish
08-02-2008, 05:49 PM
ill puled a 1.7 60ft on kdws's. they are an all season tire meant for wet and snow conditions. They didnt hook to bad. I wouldnt recommend them though lol.....

I am impressed! My KDW's didn't hook near as good. 1.9 60ft for the loss!

Sprayaway Fox
08-02-2008, 06:08 PM
I use waterbox, heat them just so the smoke comes past the driver door on Nittos. Dont heat them up to much or they will have little balls on them.17'' BFGs the same. Dont have a 60' but they hook up on blacktop with no lane prep 4.10 first gear in fox body dumping at 3000 with a 347. (my white one) but every car is diff. If they dont hook, stay in it they will grip.:thumbsup:headbang

TURTLE
08-04-2008, 06:43 PM
silver neon on 205/55-14 555R's... stock suspension launching on a 50shot... good for 1.94 60's...

2nd gear burnout seemed to work the best on them... i let 'em roll until they pulled me out of the box. picked up a set of BFG's so i can kinda get some experience with them...

now MT makes a 205-15, so i think that's next years trial.... of course i don't make enough power to turn 'em over, so results will vary as power increases... lol

theavenger333
08-04-2008, 07:41 PM

completly agree here, i ran Nittos 2 times, the first time i never used the water box and i couldn't get them to hook that great. second time i roached them in the water hard and then clipped off a few good 60 fts with my GTP

theavenger333
08-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Here is my thought, someone plz correct me if its not accurate, but since doing burn outs in my car and maybe others can really putt unwanted stress on the drivetrain. i was thinking of getting really nice autocrossing tires. only because i would think they are designed to grip in lower temps. i would think no burn outs needed.
i have been trying to find a straight answer. even emailing tire companies. no straight answer, LOL. they all say "the tire is not meant for this or that, but we do carry drag tires,"

when you're doing a burner in water there's little resistance, its no worse then spinning your wheels in snow. i mean no, its not exactly GREAT for the trans to be doing them, but in water they slip and slide real nice hence why the car will drift side to side a bit, its light friction heating them up mostly, not all pavement

Waver
08-04-2008, 07:47 PM
i got a best of a 1.6 60' foot after a good burner in the water box on et streets....car never hooked better.

07ROUSHSTG3
08-04-2008, 08:36 PM
i agree with what has been said about the nittos, they need a lot of warming up to hook good IMO. mine are getting to the point that they need to be replaced. will give the et streets a try for next year.

Z28Roxy
08-04-2008, 10:31 PM
They are no MT ET but they are a helluva lot better than street tires.

I'm only running a set of Nittos for the street and track now, though I'm waiting for a bit cooler air to go back.

Hopefully I'll get some MT ETs for the track too but this is all I've got for now.

But that's the point though, they're a compromise that you can actually run on the street, around corners, in the rain, etc and still hook better than a normal tire - with not too dissimilar tread life.

67-400
08-05-2008, 09:13 AM
I'll be tryin mine out at GLD Friday the 15th. :headbang :headbang

TURTLE
08-05-2008, 09:23 AM
i hope to have some more done on the car to join you there then... gotta be able to turn 'em over before you need the DR's.. lol

scottie K
08-05-2008, 04:20 PM
best 60ft with a 275/60 MT on the silver mustang was 1.39 on hp

WhatsADSM
08-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Just thought I would add this...

Last time I was at the track with my car, I couldn't get the thing to hook up til ~75mph when I went into 3rd gear :(... Had horrible 60s' and worse 330s..

Now I definately don't claim to be the best driver by any stretch of the imagination... but I will say if you have a short sidewall DR (for example I have 285/35/18) don't expect too much from the DRs... at those sizes they act much more like sticky street tires.

juicedimpss
08-05-2008, 11:07 PM

Last time I was at the track with my car, I couldn't get the thing to hook up til ~75mph when I went into 3rd gear :(... Had horrible 60s' and worse 330s..

Now I definately don't claim to be the best driver by any stretch of the imagination... but I will say if you have a short sidewall DR (for example I have 285/35/18) don't expect too much from the DRs... at those sizes they act much more like sticky street tires.

someone here is catching on.
:thumbsup

1siksrt
08-05-2008, 11:45 PM
Ya man you should invest in some 15's with a meaty sidewall and you would have no problems like i said when we were at the track mang!!!

sloLs1
08-06-2008, 08:49 AM
i was cutting 1.5 60's on a 100shot.... and 1.7's all day on motor.... and those were with 275/40/17 mt et streets

67-400
08-06-2008, 09:15 AM
In the past, i've always gone around the box & just ran it as it is and my car always launched hard w/the BFG DR's. (personal best 60' = 1.732).

My old BFG's were 275 40 17's.

My new ones are on my stock rims, 245 50 16

1siksrt
08-06-2008, 10:45 AM
i was cutting 1.5 60's on a 100shot.... and 1.7's all day on motor.... and those were with 275/40/17 mt et streets

Guessing your suspension was setup pretty damn good:thumbsup and I see lots of people bitching about the Nitto's

07ROUSHSTG3
08-06-2008, 10:58 AM

isn't that what a drag radial is :goof

WhatsADSM
08-06-2008, 11:11 AM
isn't that what a drag radial is :goof

Actually an ET street is much more like a slick. In fact it is essentially a slick with a few groves cut in it.

sloLs1
08-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Guessing your suspension was setup pretty damn good:thumbsup and I see lots of people bitching about the Nitto's

:thumbsup and i like the et streets better for street driving... nothing compares to a true slick on the track!

Moparjim
08-08-2008, 09:20 AM

Doesn't work well. Even road race slicks (I have tried it lol) - you would think your logic is correct but two things make any type of road race or autocross tire terrible for the dragstrip. Those tires are designed to grip LATERALLY at speed, i.e. around corners - thus they have a STIFF sidewall so the tires don't sway.. Drag tires need to hook at launch, which is totally different and you want a soft/flexible sidewall, hence slicks wrinkle. Also, Autocross tires are a harder compound, even the soft ones. Again, designed for a lot of laps at speed unlike drag tires designed for really almost no distance whatsoever - drag tires are a really really soft compound.